Apple preparing for folding iPhone with Samsung screen order

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    no they won't! Apple's taste can't be that bad, it's ugly, it's finicky, it's costly, none of this makes any sense. It's like the PDA or resistance touch screen computer back in the day, it is practically a flop
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Apple has to fix iOS and they way developers create apps first, before trying to use foldable displays.

    Think about it.  Apple today encourages it's developers to make separate iPhone and iPad apps.  So when a device like Samsung's galaxy fold, or LG V60  opens and closes, it can easily switch between tablet and phone mode, and keep the apps continuity in tact, because it is the same app.   Android and Google from day one encouraged their developers to make one app that supports both phones and tablets.   So if Apple is trying to make a foldable phone that switches between iPhone and iPad, then I can't see that happening anytime soon.

    Now I can see Apple making a foldable device like the Galaxy Z fold, or Motorola Razr, which always stays as a phone, but it folds up to be smaller.   That I can see Apple working on, because apps don't have to change. 

    They don't need to "fix" shit just because you don't know how app development for iOS works. Between auto-layout and updating size targets and adjusting designs for those when new models are released, developers modify their iOS apps to accommodate new screen sizes and aspect ratios fairly easily. They wouldn't "switch" between iPhone and iPad versions of the app, that makes no sense. iPad apps are designed for iPads. This would be — theoretically — another iPhone screen size target/mode.

    You realize Android apps that scale up for tablets have historically sucked, right? 

    seantheman said:
    That’s why Android tablets have always sucked and failed. Apps need to be different for the different screen sizes etc. 
    Clearly you're not seeing the problem.  If you make an iPhone that can switch into an iPad, and back again.   Then there is already separate iPhone and iPad apps that are basically the same app, only they support different form factors (iPad, or iPhone).    Which app do you run?   Will it be the iPhone version, or the iPad version?  If you think you can run both apps on the one device, then you have an app continuity problem.   If this new foldable Apple device is in an iPhone mode, and the iPhone app is running, and then the user opens up this foldable Apple device to be an iPad device, then if the separate iPad app is running, and that user was in the middle of an email on the iPhone version of the app.   How will continuity work between the two separate apps?   When they are two separate apps today.

    As much as you might hate the way Android supports phone and tablet apps, it's because of Android and Google encouraging it's developers to make one app, that can be any form factor, and it's why continuity still maintains what that user was doing on the same app, when the user was typing in a smartphone mode, and then switches to a tablet mode.   Nothing is lost, only the app resizes and adjusts itself into a tablet mode, and vise versa.

    I hope I made that clear enough for you to understand.
    You're making up a problem that would never exist. Have you ever noticed how apps (not all, but most) change their layout to adjust to a completely different aspect ratio when you change the orientation of your iPhone? This would be the same thing. You're obviously not an app developer or you'd know how these things work.

    I hope I made that clear enough for you to understand.
    edited September 2020 BeatsradarthekatJWSCRayz2016muthuk_vanalingamqwerty52cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Ultimately most people are lazy.   What does this have to do with it?  Consider that most phone cases only cover and protect the sides and bottom of today’s flat regular phones.  The best cases would be a pouch or flip open style case.  But how many do you see around that people use?  Few!  My guess is people won’t want to be bothered with the extra steps of constant closing and opening.  Oh,  and what about the weight factor?  I really like my plus sized phone but it is a workout all day.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 54
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Would be the ultimate irony if Apple gets the foldable screen right with Samsung Display as the supplier! While Samsung's foldable knockoffs still break.
    All phones break. Glass screens break more than the 'plastic' ones on current folding phones.

    Samsung has already got folding screens 'right'. Now they are moving forward with technology advances with the screens - advances that Samsung itself is developing and possibly selling to Apple.

    There is no irony here.

    This is how the industry works. First generations and early adopters help pave the way for better, cheaper versions that end up in the hands of more people. Apple will benefit from that progress too. 

    And Samsung is not alone either.

    https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-flex/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL-Es8rP6gIV1sDVCh03TgEhEAEYASAAEgLU9vD_BwE


    I always found it funny when iKnockoff users scream "iPhone screens break easily lol!" there's memes, parodies and videos about this. Yet, they all use the same glass.

    First generation products from Apple are always solid. This stupid "but but it's a first gen product!" excuse arose when Samsungs attempt break out of the box. Gotta love all the excuses made for Samsung while Apple gets ZERO tolerance.
    Solid? No. They are not always solid and are often severely hampered by being precisely first generation products. You, as a user can buy into that or not but don't tell me products like the first generation MacBook Air or MacBook were solid products. Then you see patterns arising on component choices throughout various generations. Have you forgotten the butterfly keyboards already? Frayed cabling?  And let's not talk about software, shall we?

    Apple can produce a foldable phone but it isn't going to produce the screen, and according to rumours at least, that screen will be designed by someone else and, given the state of the foldable phone market right now, it won't be better than what Samsung has planned for its own phones. 

    iPhone 1: SOLID
    iPad 1: SOLID
    Apple Watch 1: SOLID
    AirPods 1: SOLID

    They lasted for years and didn't have a 100% defective rate.

    Again this stupid excuse arose when Samsungs attempt at ripping off Apple patents failed amd resulted in defected turds.

    " given the state of the foldable phone market right now, it won't be better than what Samsung has planned for its own phones. "

    It will be an Apple first gen product. As people say "Apple will do it right". Apple is notorious for releasing solid first gen products.

    Did you not read the accounts of Jony Ive saying "that's not gona work" before the Samsung Fold released? Do you really think Apple is dumb enough to just copy a copy of their own project?

    This may not even be a iPhone but a new project. You have this weird idea that Apple is like knockoff Apple manufacturers. THEY ARE NOT.
    edited September 2020 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 54
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    FoodLover said:
    Beats said:

    Yup. When Apple patented the wraparound screen, Samsung (again) crapped out a product to beat them to market, It was called the Galaxy Edge and had no reason to exist. Meanwhile Apple used the tech for iPhones, Apple Watch and I believe Apple Park.
    ...
    Really shows you the difference between the critical inventor and the sloppy copycat.

    Fact check:

    • 8th of January 2013: Samsung shows Youm concept which was the basis for Note Edge at CES 2013 (8th to 11th of January 2913). That device looks pretty similar o Note Edge.
    • February 2013: the first time Apple reveals patents for wraparound displays

    Hm, who copied from whom?

    What we learn from the above:

    • Just because Apple patents something, it does not mean that the idea has not existed before.
    • A patent is like a requirement, but not a product.

    What else we already know:

    • Apple often patents ideas that even already exist as products
    • And often if Apple patents something, or there is a leak that Apple is working on something, you can be sure that someone else is short before a product release. Apple just tries to link itself to the idea before the competition releases it and not the other way around as you constantly try to indicate on this site. As if all companies in the world are just waiting for Apple to patent something in order to start an product.
    Again for you: in most cases, if there is leak that Apple is working on something, you can be sure that Apple tries to link the idea to itself before the competition release their own product. This is a typical unfair Apple practice.
    let u

    So what if Apple doesn't use all patents. Just like 99% of the industry. I always find it funny how Apple gets criticized exclusively for things 99% of the industry do.

    "Apple often patents ideas that even already exist as products"

    This isn't even legal.

    Ridiculous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 54
    I like the displays the engineers use in Westworld. If Apple did something like that, I'd be cool with it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Know what also could fold? Apple Glasses.
    jcs2305cornchipBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 54
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,202member
    I’m sorry but this is so “not going to happen.”  No way.  No how.  Not anytime soon.

    I’m sure Apple is exploring the technology and it’s design, fab, reliability, and use implications.  Why wouldn’t they?  But to believe for a moment that this is a credible possibility at this point in time is simply deranged and wishful thinking.
    FileMakerFellerSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 54
    This is not for the next iPhone, not the one after that either and it's not necessarily even for an iPhone but possibly a new category of devices, or nothing at all; they might as well just adandon the idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 54
    FoodLover said:
    Beats said:

    Yup. When Apple patented the wraparound screen, Samsung (again) crapped out a product to beat them to market, It was called the Galaxy Edge and had no reason to exist. Meanwhile Apple used the tech for iPhones, Apple Watch and I believe Apple Park.
    ...
    Really shows you the difference between the critical inventor and the sloppy copycat.

    Fact check:

    • 8th of January 2013: Samsung shows Youm concept which was the basis for Note Edge at CES 2013 (8th to 11th of January 2913). That device looks pretty similar o Note Edge.
    • February 2013: the first time Apple reveals patents for wraparound displays

    Hm, who copied from whom?

    Reality check: Patents often take years going through the process before revealed.

    Apple filed their wraparound display patent in 2011: https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/03/stunning-future-iphone-with-wraparound-display-revealed.html
    edited September 2020 tmaycornchipBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 54
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,919member
    Beats said:
    Would be the ultimate irony if Apple gets the foldable screen right with Samsung Display as the supplier! While Samsung's foldable knockoffs still break.
    Like Apple got OLED colour right on Samsung panels before Samsung did.
    cornchipBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 54
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,919member
    FoodLover said:
    Beats said:

    Yup. When Apple patented the wraparound screen, Samsung (again) crapped out a product to beat them to market, It was called the Galaxy Edge and had no reason to exist. Meanwhile Apple used the tech for iPhones, Apple Watch and I believe Apple Park.
    ...
    Really shows you the difference between the critical inventor and the sloppy copycat.

    Fact check:

    • 8th of January 2013: Samsung shows Youm concept which was the basis for Note Edge at CES 2013 (8th to 11th of January 2913). That device looks pretty similar o Note Edge.
    • February 2013: the first time Apple reveals patents for wraparound displays

    Hm, who copied from whom?

    What we learn from the above:

    • Just because Apple patents something, it does not mean that the idea has not existed before.
    • A patent is like a requirement, but not a product.

    What else we already know:

    • Apple often patents ideas that even already exist as products
    • And often if Apple patents something, or there is a leak that Apple is working on something, you can be sure that someone else is short before a product release. Apple just tries to link itself to the idea before the competition releases it and not the other way around as you constantly try to indicate on this site. As if all companies in the world are just waiting for Apple to patent something in order to start an product.
    Again for you: in most cases, if there is leak that Apple is working on something, you can be sure that Apple tries to link the idea to itself before the competition release their own product. This is a typical unfair Apple practice.
    let u
    And yet the only example you give is a non-example. Component manufacturers shovelling out gimmicks isn’t the same as years developing a cohesive viable design.
    JWSCtmaycornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 54
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 6,515member
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Would be the ultimate irony if Apple gets the foldable screen right with Samsung Display as the supplier! While Samsung's foldable knockoffs still break.
    All phones break. Glass screens break more than the 'plastic' ones on current folding phones.

    Samsung has already got folding screens 'right'. Now they are moving forward with technology advances with the screens - advances that Samsung itself is developing and possibly selling to Apple.

    There is no irony here.

    This is how the industry works. First generations and early adopters help pave the way for better, cheaper versions that end up in the hands of more people. Apple will benefit from that progress too. 

    And Samsung is not alone either.

    https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-flex/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL-Es8rP6gIV1sDVCh03TgEhEAEYASAAEgLU9vD_BwE


    I always found it funny when iKnockoff users scream "iPhone screens break easily lol!" there's memes, parodies and videos about this. Yet, they all use the same glass.

    First generation products from Apple are always solid. This stupid "but but it's a first gen product!" excuse arose when Samsungs attempt break out of the box. Gotta love all the excuses made for Samsung while Apple gets ZERO tolerance.
    Solid? No. They are not always solid and are often severely hampered by being precisely first generation products. You, as a user can buy into that or not but don't tell me products like the first generation MacBook Air or MacBook were solid products. Then you see patterns arising on component choices throughout various generations. Have you forgotten the butterfly keyboards already? Frayed cabling?  And let's not talk about software, shall we?

    Apple can produce a foldable phone but it isn't going to produce the screen, and according to rumours at least, that screen will be designed by someone else and, given the state of the foldable phone market right now, it won't be better than what Samsung has planned for its own phones. 

    iPhone 1: SOLID
    iPad 1: SOLID
    Apple Watch 1: SOLID
    AirPods 1: SOLID

    They lasted for years and didn't have a 100% defective rate.

    Again this stupid excuse arose when Samsungs attempt at ripping off Apple patents failed amd resulted in defected turds.

    " given the state of the foldable phone market right now, it won't be better than what Samsung has planned for its own phones. "

    It will be an Apple first gen product. As people say "Apple will do it right". Apple is notorious for releasing solid first gen products.

    Did you not read the accounts of Jony Ive saying "that's not gona work" before the Samsung Fold released? Do you really think Apple is dumb enough to just copy a copy of their own project?

    This may not even be a iPhone but a new project. You have this weird idea that Apple is like knockoff Apple manufacturers. THEY ARE NOT.
    You should re-read what I wrote. 

    If Apple produces a first gen folding phone with a screen from Samsung, it won't be a first generation folding screen. It will have reaped the rewards of ongoing generational improvements.

    And clearly Ive was wrong. Very wrong. In a very short time we have seen a lot of folding phone designs and virtually no problems in userland. 

    They are expensive and fragile but ALL early generation phones were too. And largely still are. 
    muthuk_vanalingamBeats
  • Reply 34 of 54
    svanstrom said:
    FoodLover said:
    Beats said:

    Yup. When Apple patented the wraparound screen, Samsung (again) crapped out a product to beat them to market, It was called the Galaxy Edge and had no reason to exist. Meanwhile Apple used the tech for iPhones, Apple Watch and I believe Apple Park.
    ...
    Really shows you the difference between the critical inventor and the sloppy copycat.

    Fact check:

    • 8th of January 2013: Samsung shows Youm concept which was the basis for Note Edge at CES 2013 (8th to 11th of January 2913). That device looks pretty similar o Note Edge.
    • February 2013: the first time Apple reveals patents for wraparound displays

    Hm, who copied from whom?

    Reality check: Patents often take years going through the process before revealed.

    Apple filed their wraparound display patent in 2011: https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/03/stunning-future-iphone-with-wraparound-display-revealed.html

    Beats hat claimed that Samsung had copied the Note Edge idea from Samsung. So I proved that it was not correct. And you did not prove anything else: the patent was release after Samsung showcased it Edge concept. Before February 2013 there were not a single reference in the internet about any Apple patents. BTW: in the linked document Apple says that the inventor was someone else (not Apple), and mentions the number of another patent.

    But we can play the game even further: the patent is from Q3 2011 while Samsung showcased its first flexible AMOLED display at CES 2011 (6-9 January 2011).


    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Beats said:
    FoodLover said:
    Beats said:

    Yup. When Apple patented the wraparound screen, Samsung (again) crapped out a product to beat them to market, It was called the Galaxy Edge and had no reason to exist. Meanwhile Apple used the tech for iPhones, Apple Watch and I believe Apple Park.
    ...
    Really shows you the difference between the critical inventor and the sloppy copycat.

    Fact check:

    • 8th of January 2013: Samsung shows Youm concept which was the basis for Note Edge at CES 2013 (8th to 11th of January 2913). That device looks pretty similar o Note Edge.
    • February 2013: the first time Apple reveals patents for wraparound displays

    Hm, who copied from whom?

    What we learn from the above:

    • Just because Apple patents something, it does not mean that the idea has not existed before.
    • A patent is like a requirement, but not a product.

    What else we already know:

    • Apple often patents ideas that even already exist as products
    • And often if Apple patents something, or there is a leak that Apple is working on something, you can be sure that someone else is short before a product release. Apple just tries to link itself to the idea before the competition releases it and not the other way around as you constantly try to indicate on this site. As if all companies in the world are just waiting for Apple to patent something in order to start an product.
    Again for you: in most cases, if there is leak that Apple is working on something, you can be sure that Apple tries to link the idea to itself before the competition release their own product. This is a typical unfair Apple practice.
    let u

    So what if Apple doesn't use all patents. Just like 99% of the industry. I always find it funny how Apple gets criticized exclusively for things 99% of the industry do.

    "Apple often patents ideas that even already exist as products"

    This isn't even legal.

    Ridiculous.

    What is ridiculous? It is very legal to have different patents for the same idea. Do you understand the difference between an idea and a patent?

  • Reply 36 of 54

    Do you really think Apple is dumb enough to just copy a copy of their own project?

    This may not even be a iPhone but a new project. You have this weird idea that Apple is like knockoff Apple manufacturers. THEY ARE NOT.

    By claiming that the Fold would be a copy of an Apple's project, you proved that discussions with you do not manke really sense. I've seen a lot Apple fans which is ok. But being fanatic and hateful is not healthy!

    muthuk_vanalingamBeats
  • Reply 37 of 54
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,714member
    The number of "Scamsung"/Apple Fanboy type comments on this thread is impressive. If Apple releases a folding phone next week, how many people here would suddenly be gushing about how awesome a folding phone is?

    No one knows if Apple plans on releasing a folding phone, but I think they would be remiss if they didn't at least investigate the idea. Personally, I can't see paying $2000 for a phone that is thicker and more prone to damage, but maybe some people can. Good for them. Ultimately, what I care about is Apple developing quality products that are useful and deliver a good experience. If they are 'second' to the market but have a better product, fine. I'd rather they take the time to get everything right, both the hardware and the software.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 54
    There is much presumption in this article...

    FACT: (maybe, if confirmed), Apple ordered foldable displays from Samsung. PERIOD.

    They could simply be testing for now, nothing more. Just because they ordered foldable displays, and you want it, does not necessarily mean they are actually planning to release a product with this display. Perhaps they want to do a long term test first to find out the durability of it, they won’t do it if it’s not durable and foldable displays are still new.

    ”...the rest of the mobile industry...” woah, no exaggeration here.

    AI has become much like business insider which is more like the examiner or other rag...mac rumors has become editorially better and I think these two should switch names.


    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 54
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,825member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    Would be the ultimate irony if Apple gets the foldable screen right with Samsung Display as the supplier! While Samsung's foldable knockoffs still break.
    All phones break. Glass screens break more than the 'plastic' ones on current folding phones.

    Samsung has already got folding screens 'right'. Now they are moving forward with technology advances with the screens - advances that Samsung itself is developing and possibly selling to Apple.

    There is no irony here.

    This is how the industry works. First generations and early adopters help pave the way for better, cheaper versions that end up in the hands of more people. Apple will benefit from that progress too. 

    And Samsung is not alone either.

    https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-flex/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiL-Es8rP6gIV1sDVCh03TgEhEAEYASAAEgLU9vD_BwE


    I always found it funny when iKnockoff users scream "iPhone screens break easily lol!" there's memes, parodies and videos about this. Yet, they all use the same glass.

    First generation products from Apple are always solid. This stupid "but but it's a first gen product!" excuse arose when Samsungs attempt break out of the box. Gotta love all the excuses made for Samsung while Apple gets ZERO tolerance.
    Solid? No. They are not always solid and are often severely hampered by being precisely first generation products. You, as a user can buy into that or not but don't tell me products like the first generation MacBook Air or MacBook were solid products. Then you see patterns arising on component choices throughout various generations. Have you forgotten the butterfly keyboards already? Frayed cabling?  And let's not talk about software, shall we?

    Apple can produce a foldable phone but it isn't going to produce the screen, and according to rumours at least, that screen will be designed by someone else and, given the state of the foldable phone market right now, it won't be better than what Samsung has planned for its own phones. 

    iPhone 1: SOLID
    iPad 1: SOLID
    Apple Watch 1: SOLID
    AirPods 1: SOLID

    They lasted for years and didn't have a 100% defective rate.

    Again this stupid excuse arose when Samsungs attempt at ripping off Apple patents failed amd resulted in defected turds.

    " given the state of the foldable phone market right now, it won't be better than what Samsung has planned for its own phones. "

    It will be an Apple first gen product. As people say "Apple will do it right". Apple is notorious for releasing solid first gen products.

    Did you not read the accounts of Jony Ive saying "that's not gona work" before the Samsung Fold released? Do you really think Apple is dumb enough to just copy a copy of their own project?

    This may not even be a iPhone but a new project. You have this weird idea that Apple is like knockoff Apple manufacturers. THEY ARE NOT.
    You should re-read what I wrote. 

    If Apple produces a first gen folding phone with a screen from Samsung, it won't be a first generation folding screen. It will have reaped the rewards of ongoing generational improvements.

    And clearly Ive was wrong. Very wrong. In a very short time we have seen a lot of folding phone designs and virtually no problems in userland. 

    They are expensive and fragile but ALL early generation phones were too. And largely still are. 
    Uh, no.
    And clearly Ive was wrong. Very wrong. In a very short time we have seen a lot of folding phone designs and virtually no problems in userland. 
    The first generation Samsung rollout was an acknowledged fucking disaster, and Huawei delayed its first generation at least 9 months, while you posted a miriad of excuses for them, delivered relatively few of those, and followed up with generation two, which still uses a fragile external screen fold paradigm. All of these are notably underpowered in a tablet mode, ie, they aren't tablet replacements.

    If Apple does produce its first folding screen design in the future, it will still be a first generation design for Apple, no matter that Samsung, et al, wasted a shit ton of brand value rushing their first generation models to market, all in the name of gaining first to market.

    Heck, I expect that MS will have a better result with the Duo than either Samsung or Huawei will with their flexible screen folding phone designs. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Apple, please no. Just no. Don’t ridicule the brand by introducing a foldable phone. This idea will fold faster than the back cover of a ‘Mad’ magazine.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.