Review: The Moko Stylus is a good low-cost alternative to Apple Pencil

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
The Moko Stylus emulates the Apple Pencil experience with a slim form factor and easy pairing system with a few notable compromises.

Moko Stylus
Moko Stylus

The Moko Stylus functions very similar to the Logitech Crayon but in a much cheaper and sleeker package. Overall the stylus is great for general purpose uses, but professional artists may want to look elsewhere.

Design

At a glance, the Moko Stylus could easily be mistaken for a second-generation Apple Pencil, with its smooth cylindrical white finish with one flat side. It has a flat top where an eraser would be to allow for a micro-USB port for charging.

The lack of Lightning is likely due to the cheap nature of the product-- licensing that port would bring the cost much higher.

A clicky button sits right where your fingers would rest while holding it, but it only functions as an on/off switch. When the stylus is on, a blue light shines through the button.

This is a distraction to the design, and while useful for determining power-state, it is an overall-ugly addition.

The tip is replaceable, and the box comes with a replacement. The product description says that it will not scratch your screen, but the instruction pamphlet included says a screen protector is recommended.

No scratching occurred on the iPad Pro or iPad mini tested when used without a screen protector.

Technology

The Moko Stylus, Logitech Crayon, and Apple Pencil
The Moko Stylus, Logitech Crayon, and Apple Pencil

The Moko Stylus appears to be using the same pairing system as the Logitech Crayon. When powered on, it will work on any iPad 2018 or newer with iOS 12.2 or more recent.

If you have an Apple Pencil paired to the iPad, you must turn it off in settings or cycle Bluetooth with the Apple Pencil disconnected -- only then will the Moko Stylus work.

Since it is using similar technology to the Logitech Crayon, you can switch between iPads without pairing. For example, the iPad Pro and iPad mini both accepted input from the Moko Stylus without any prompt or pairing.

Not all the features of the Logitech Crayon are here, however. The chart below defines the capabilities of each iPad stylus.
Pressure SensitiveTilt/Angle sensorsDouble-Tap GestureCharging MethodParing Method
Moko StylusNoNoNoMicro-USBSpecialized Bluetooth
Logitech CrayonNoYesNoLightningSpecialized Bluetooth
Apple PencilYesYesYesMagnetic connectorMagnetic connector

Using the Moko Stylus

The Moko Stylus on the iPad Pro
The Moko Stylus on the iPad Pro

The Moko Stylus feels fine in-hand, although the power button is right under your finger, which can be uncomfortable. The feeling of using the Moko Stylus is not very different from using the Apple Pencil, except Apple's stylus is weighted more evenly.

The stylus mounts to the side of the flat-sided iPad Pros for convenience but does not charge this way. It uses micro-USB to charge, which is very disappointing despite the lower cost.

Unless you already have a reason to carry a micro-USB cable, this is just one more cable to have.

Battery life

The manufacturer promises long battery life -- up to 20 hours of continuous use and a year of standby time for a full battery. Moko also says it can fully charge in 100 minutes, and to maintain battery life, the stylus will go to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity.

There is an LED indicator in the power button. A blue light shows when it is powered on and working, a red light shows that it is charging, and a green light indicates it is 100% charged.

Compatibility

The Moko Stylus works with the following devices:

Should you buy the Moko Stylus?

If the Apple Pencil is out of your price range or the Logitech Crayon is too bulky or expensive, the Moko Stylus is a great alternative. The stylus may not be a good choice for artists, but anyone who wants basic note-taking or precision control in photo editing tools could benefit from it.

Do not buy if you plan on doing more than a simple sketch. Tilt and pressure control are absent, so most artistic endeavors will be challenging.

Pros
  • Inexpensive
  • Slim design
  • Long battery life
Cons
  • Charges via Micro-USB
  • Screen scratching possible without protector
  • Distracting indicator light
  • No tilt or pressure

Rating: 3 out of 5

Where to Buy

The Moko Stylus is available on Amazon for $26.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Coupon code does not work even with dashes removed when I tried to order this Moko Stylus off Amazon the same day this story appeared on the app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    zzdakota said:
    Coupon code does not work even with dashes removed when I tried to order this Moko Stylus off Amazon the same day this story appeared on the app.
    I'll find out what's going on. Code removed until we do.
    edited September 2020 Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    It’s amazing how much less this costs than the Apple Pencil 2, but the way the AP2 charges is one of my favorite features and something I wouldn’t want to do without.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    fred1 said:
    It’s amazing how much less this costs than the Apple Pencil 2, but the way the AP2 charges is one of my favorite features and something I wouldn’t want to do without.  
    The Apple Pencil 2 is really what the Apple Pencil 1 should have been. It’s a beautiful piece of engineering but is overkill for many people and a bit overpriced. If you don’t need all the features the Apple Pencil offers then the Moko pencil seems like a good option at a quarter the price. 

It’s interesting that AI dinged Moko because you need an adapter to charge it, yet they didn’t ding the MacBook that has only usb c ports and needs adaptors. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    MplsP said:
    fred1 said:
    It’s interesting that AI dinged Moko because you need an adapter to charge it, yet they didn’t ding the MacBook that has only usb c ports and needs adaptors. 

So you’re saying that the MacBook should have wireless charging?  Yes, I’m joking, but that was the point about the Moko pencil vs. the Apple Pencil 2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MplsP said:
    fred1 said:
    The Apple Pencil 2 is really what the Apple Pencil 1 should have been. It’s a beautiful piece of engineering but is overkill for many people and a bit overpriced. If you don’t need all the features the Apple Pencil offers then the Moko pencil seems like a good option at a quarter the price. 

Besides the wireless thing that Fred1 above me has already mentioned, USB-C is far more of a modern standard than microUSB in today, that the Moko uses.
    edited September 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MplsP said:
    fred1 said:

Incorrect. No adapter is needed to charge a MacBook. And no adapter is needed for most accessory use cases as you simply use a native USBC cable. If you don’t want to buy those you’re free to use adapters, but it’s not required.  

Insane stretch of an argument.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    MplsP said:
    fred1 said:

Besides the wireless thing that Fred1 above me has already mentioned, USB-C is far more of a modern standard than microUSB in today, that the Moko uses.
    MplsP said:
    fred1 said:

Incorrect. No adapter is needed to charge a MacBook. And no adapter is needed for most accessory use cases as you simply use a native USBC cable. If you don’t want to buy those you’re free to use adapters, but it’s not required.  

When the MacBook came out, USB C devices were practically impossible to find; When I looked in the Apple Store at the time for a simple USB C flash drive I couldn't find one, meaning if you wanted to connect anything to a MacBook you needed adapter/dongle, just like you need a micro USB to connect/charge the Moko stylus. When AI reviewed the MacBook, they didn't blink an eye at the fact that you needed an adapter for pretty much everything.

USB C may be a newer connector, but micro USB is far from obsolete and still very much used. Since the Moko stylus can be used with several different models of iPad, some of which have USB C and others that have lightning ports, an adapter would have been required no matter what connector they chose.

edited September 2020
  • Reply 9 of 10
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    fred1 said:

MplsP said:
    fred1 said:

When the MacBook came out, USB C devices were practically impossible to find; When I looked in the Apple Store at the time for a simple USB C flash drive I couldn't find one, meaning if you wanted to connect anything to a MacBook you needed adapter/dongle, just like you need a micro USB to connect/charge the Moko stylus. When AI reviewed the MacBook, they didn't blink an eye at the fact that you needed an adapter for pretty much everything.

USB C may be a newer connector, but micro USB is far from obsolete and still very much used. Since the Moko stylus can be used with several different models of iPad, some of which have USB C and others that have lightning ports, an adapter would have been required no matter what connector they chose.

I wasn't here at AI for the MacBook review, but it was absolutely a problem when it released. That was five years ago. Five years before that, folks were complaining about the 30-pin connector going away. Connectors change, as well as they should.

MicroUSB also requires adapters from USB-A devices and chargers, and is inferior in every way to USB-C, including but not limited to port stability, geometry, charging, and data speeds. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
    edited September 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    fred1 said:

MplsP said:
    fred1 said:

I wasn't here at AI for the MacBook review, but it was absolutely a problem when it released. That was five years ago. Five years before that, folks were complaining about the 30-pin connector going away. Connectors change, as well as they should.

MicroUSB also requires adapters from USB-A devices and chargers, and is inferior in every way to USB-C, including but not limited to port stability, geometry, charging, and data speeds. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
    My point was simply what I stated the first time - you (I’m grouping you in with Apple Insider reviewers in general here) seem to apply an inconsistent standard when you give give Apple products a pass for needing adapters, but not a 3rd party product. You are one of the few people I’ve seen here who actually admits that the USB C-only design was an issue. (I was roundly criticized and dismissed for complaining about it at the time.)

You are correct that USB C is faster and more powerful than micro USB, but for charging a low power device like this it’s perfectly acceptable and it actually does have a slight size advantage over USB C. Looking at both my Apple Pencil and pictures of the Moko stylus it appears a USB C connector would be too large for either one.

Even if it used a lightning or USB C port, it would need adapter for the iPads not using those ports, and the ‘digital lollipop’ design of the original Apple Pencil was frankly quite poor. Since the Moko stylus comes with a micro-USB A cable it can be charged virtually anywhere there’s a USB port.