Apple releases iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 updates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,671member
    All of my iOS 14 updates went very smoothly, including iPhone XS Max, three Apple TV’s (one v4 and two 4K), and an Apple Watch 5. Two iPads already on iPadOS via beta program stayed at GM, so the GM must have been clean. Clear sailing the whole time. No problemo.
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 66
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    dewme said:
    All of my iOS 14 updates went very smoothly, including iPhone XS Max, three Apple TV’s (one v4 and two 4K), and an Apple Watch 5. Two iPads already on iPadOS via beta program stayed at GM, so the GM must have been clean. Clear sailing the whole time. No problemo.

Glad it went smoothly for you. It went smoothly for me on my iPhone X. One thing you could do to get on the commercial release is to remove the beta profile. Go to Settings General > Profiles and tap the iPadOS 14 Beta Software Profile that appears and tap remove profile. It might ask you for your passcode and then tap remove.

This way you'll be able to grab the commercial version of iPadOS.

Hope this helps.
    edited September 2020 ctt_zhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 66
    How to disable the App Library?
  • Reply 44 of 66
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I see it's available for me. I'm reluctant to download this one as I don't like all the widgets. Reminds me of Windows. I am going to download and install it though, as I want to update my watch since that is tied to it. Plus have to get used to it anyways...might as well be now....
    OS X had Widgets in 2005. However, you needn't use them if you don't like them.
    And a lot of people didn’t.  ;)
  • Reply 45 of 66
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,407member
    mike1 said:
    Just installed on all my devices and generally I’m happy with the updates. However, what the heck happened to the Favorites widget??? It was the single most important widget to me. 
    It’ll take a little time on your part to set up your widgets to your liking again.

And I’ve discovered yet another bug. When there is a “stack” widget the various other screens you’re supposed to be able to scroll through remain invisible until you get out of the widget view. iOS 14 is rather buggy for me so far.

If you know how to find add a Favorites widget, please share. I could find nothing to replicate that feature.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 66
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,671member
    dr. x said:
    dewme said:

Glad it went smoothly for you. It went smoothly for me on my iPhone X. One thing you could do to get on the commercial release is to remove the beta profile. Go to Settings General > Profiles and tap the iPadOS 14 Beta Software Profile that appears and tap remove profile. It might ask you for your passcode and then tap remove.

This way you'll be able to grab the commercial version of iPadOS.

Hope this helps.
    No problem.

I purposely keep some of my iPads on the iPadOS beta cycle as a heads-up to see what's coming. I used to do the same with iOS using an iPod Touch, but my newest Touch 6 is no longer getting iOS updates so I had no prior experience with iOS 14 until I installed it on my iPhone. So far, no surprises. Like others have said, Apple's beta program is so widely deployed and has so many incremental releases that by the time GM and the commercial release hits it seems to be very stable. In the past 4-5 years the only bad experiences I've had with betas are the ones where Apple changes something fundamental deep down in the architecture, like the initial roll-out of APFS, which wreaked havoc with one of my beta test machines.

I much prefer Apple's continuous release model over the old big-bang releases that had a lot of hullabaloo and fanfare surrounding them. When it comes to OS updates on any platform, I'm pretty much fine with them being rather boring. The first release of Windows Vista was exciting, but in a bad way. I don't want anything like that happening on my Apple platforms.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 66
    0ID0 said:

I don't think you can.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 66
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,999member
    I see it's available for me. I'm reluctant to download this one as I don't like all the widgets. Reminds me of Windows. I am going to download and install it though, as I want to update my watch since that is tied to it. Plus have to get used to it anyways...might as well be now....
    Honestly, it's rare that an OS/iOS update has anything that you can't live without for a few weeks. Every major OS release has bugs, so it would make sense to wait a few weeks for them to be discovered and patched, unless iOS 14 has some feature that promises to solve a major problem you've been having with iOS 13 

I wasn't going to update for a few days because of the whole "version 1 syndrome" thing, but somewhere along the line I turned automatic updates on for both my phone and my watch.  I guess I'll see what happens.

But I turned those damned things off again. 🤣
    I've learned never to be in a hurry for '.0' versions, and there have been enough updates with issues through the years that I just keep auto updates turned off. I'd rather be in control than discover that an update happened when I didn't want it to.
    edited September 2020 JFC_PAbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 66
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:

I don't think you can.
    Rearrange?
    Apple created some impossible grouping with same crazy naming and cannot drag from one group to another, even renaming is not possible!?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 66
    0ID0 said:
    "Don't swipe to the last page" is probably the answer.
    SpamSandwichAlex1Nbalufastasleep
  • Reply 51 of 66
    I can see why Apple didn't tackle this before now.  Setting up these new screens is way more complicated than it used to be.  This might be the first time I need to watch a tutorial video to figure out how to set something up the way I like it.  I'm somewhat concerned that this is going to turn off or at least annoy the large number of "non-techie" iPhone users.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 66
    0ID0 said:
    "Don't swipe to the last page" is probably the answer.

Yes, I think so too.
    baluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 66
    0ID0 said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:

I don't think you can.
    Rearrange?
    Apple created some impossible grouping with same crazy naming and cannot drag from one group to another, even renaming is not possible!?

Or like @randominternetperson ;said, just don't use it and was going to say the same thing as well.

baluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 66
    0ID0 said:
    I haven't heard of a way to do this, but if you just never swipe that far, you should be safe from seeing it.  I don't know what kind of storage or memory requirements it has, so that might be less than satisfactory for you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 66
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:

I don't think you can.
    Rearrange?

Or like @randominternetperson said, just don't use it and was going to say the same thing as well.

You can still use your own custom folders on the home screen pages, right? All that's still there, and the App Library is just a new 'last page,' is that correct?
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 66
    AppleZulu said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:

I don't think you can.
    Rearrange?

Or like @randominternetperson ;said, just don't use it and was going to say the same thing as well.

You can still use your own custom folders on the home pages, right? All that's still there, and the App Library is just a new 'last page,' is that correct?

Yes, correct. I just confirmed this that you can still create custom folders and yes App Library is the new last page.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 66
    dr. x said:
    AppleZulu said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:

I don't think you can.
    Rearrange?

You can still use your own custom folders on the home pages, right? All that's still there, and the App Library is just a new 'last page,' is that correct?

Yes, correct. I just confirmed this that you can still create custom folders and yes App Library is the new last page.
    Thank you! I don't see how the app library is a problem for anyone, then. Doesn't seem like it takes anything away from any organizing you've already done, but rather adds some options, that you can use or not use.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 66
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Google already has an app called Translate. Will this cause conflict?
  • Reply 59 of 66
    AppleZulu said:
    dr. x said:
    AppleZulu said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:
    dr. x said:
    0ID0 said:

I don't think you can.
    Rearrange?

Thank you! I don't see how the app library is a problem for anyone, then. Doesn't seem like it takes anything away from any organizing you've already done, but rather adds some options, that you can use or not use.
    That’s correct. It’s Apple’s attempt to make finding that one app out of the hundreds on the phone a little easier. I don’t mind it.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 66
    tzeshan said:
    Google already has an app called Translate. Will this cause conflict?
    I have both the Apple translate app and Google translate app and haven't seen any issues with both of them installed. I haven't used both of them simultaneously though.

edited September 2020 watto_cobra