Apple releases iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 124member
    saarek said:
    Just checked with my daughter in South Africa, not released there either. Perhaps the poster of this article can state where exactly it is available?
    At present, Virginia, US; Quebec, Canada, and London, UK.

just to be clear Quebec is in Canada

Here's an entire page with links to the CDN image server, if you're so inclined. https://istheapplestoredown.com/ios

• Reply 22 of 66
    big trouble! When i connect my ipad  & iPhone to the Mac. Finder can’t read them and there’s no way to do a backup before updating ipad to iOS 14. The Finder page only displace a “Restore” button and seemingly only be able to do factory restore. It’s a vulnerability! If unfortunately you want to restore from your iOS13 backups, you may find all your data lost!
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 23 of 66
    ivanh said:
    big trouble! When i connect my ipad  & iPhone to the Mac. Finder can’t read them and there’s no way to do a backup before updating ipad to iOS 14. The Finder page only displace a “Restore” button and seemingly only be able to do factory restore. It’s a vulnerability! If unfortunately you want to restore from your iOS13 backups, you may find all your data lost!

Woah, that's a showstopper. Couldn't you back up via iCloud and then restore from that if something goes wrong? That's what I do before upgrading.

Hope this helps

edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 66
    The whole "Widget Customizations" are what I luv about Apple.  To me it's like, "Ok, you wanted FULLY customizable layouts!  GO FOR IT!"  Instead of giving all this to us back with iOS 3/4, when people were learning the basics, and having that be wonky and simple.  Now it's like freakin GOD MODE!  And when you realize you have 99% custom options you are like: "I don't even know where to start!"

I mean I see how people say "Apple is leading us along" but I never even learn all the features, every release, not enough time.  "Slow and low that is the tempo..." – Beastie Boys...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 66
    ivanh said:
    Try with an original Apple cable or a Apple certified MFI cable.
    edited September 2020 JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 66
    The best part of iOS 14 in the keyboard. This is simple, I’m simple, and probably unnoticed by most people but it’s been a thorn in my side every time I use the keyboard in Landscape Mode prior to iOS 14.

The Number button and the Emoji button are in the the same place in either orientation, Landscape or Portrait.

This only took like 6 years to address, I digress. It’s a reality now and simply the best thing the whole OS has to offer...
    ramanpfaffbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Scot1 said:
    saarek said:
    Just checked with my daughter in South Africa, not released there either. Perhaps the poster of this article can state where exactly it is available?
    At present, Virginia, US; Quebec, Canada, and London, UK.

Here's an entire page with links to the CDN image server, if you're so inclined. https://istheapplestoredown.com/ios

just to be clear Quebec is in Canada
    Derp. "Quebec, Canada" is a singular item.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 66

ivanh said:
    Plug it in with a cable, and macOS will prompt you to download software to interact with your devices running iOS/iPadOS 14. My iPad Pro is plugged into a hub charging while updating and my Mac prompted me before it was even finished installing.
    edited September 2020 JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 66
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,407member
    Just installed on all my devices and generally I’m happy with the updates. However, what the heck happened to the Favorites widget??? It was the single most important widget to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 66
    mike1 said:
    Just installed on all my devices and generally I’m happy with the updates. However, what the heck happened to the Favorites widget??? It was the single most important widget to me. 
    It’ll take a little time on your part to set up your widgets to your liking again.

And I’ve discovered yet another bug. When there is a “stack” widget the various other screens you’re supposed to be able to scroll through remain invisible until you get out of the widget view. iOS 14 is rather buggy for me so far.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 31 of 66
    mike1 said:
    It’ll take a little time on your part to set up your widgets to your liking again.

And I’ve discovered yet another bug. When there is a “stack” widget the various other screens you’re supposed to be able to scroll through remain invisible until you get out of the widget view. iOS 14 is rather buggy for me so far.
    This is the showstopper confirmation for me, thanks @SpamSandwich. I was going to see how pOS 14 travelled before installing in any case but this confirms my (hard-bitten) wariness. I waited until pOS 13.3 before installing that nightmare on my 6th gen ipad and I bitterly regretted doing that (and still do). The reasons? They are Legion, but have a lot to do with cursor placement, insane (in a really bad way), idiotic non- beginning-of-sentence/paragraph) single character capitalisations (recent introduction), undocumented Safari gesture gimmicks, and so on and so forth. I now use Firefox (on MacOS), which saves me from most of the nasty swipe ‘accidents’. 8’m watching other people’s experiences like a hawk now.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Alex1N said:
    mike1 said:

This is the showstopper confirmation for me, thanks @SpamSandwich. I was going to see how pOS 14 travelled before installing in any case but this confirms my (hard-bitten) wariness. I waited until pOS 13.3 before installing that nightmare on my 6th gen ipad and I bitterly regretted doing that (and still do). The reasons? They are Legion, but have a lot to do with cursor placement, insane (in a really bad way), idiotic non- beginning-of-sentence/paragraph) single character capitalisations (recent introduction), undocumented Safari gesture gimmicks, and so on and so forth. I now use Firefox (on MacOS), which saves me from most of the nasty swipe ‘accidents’. 8’m watching other people’s experiences like a hawk now.
    I also had a FaceTime bug which prevented me from being able to quit the app, even after I turned off the phone. Really bad crash afterward.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 33 of 66
    I usually do an encrypted backup for major releases.  You never know if something may go south with the install.  Worst part of that is the backup can sometimes take longer than the install and having enough space of my HD can be an issue especially now that my phone is 256GB.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Alex1N said:
    mike1 said:

Showstoppers, nightmares, bitterness, wariness, idiocies, nastiness… Damn. Sucks to be you, getting so much pain from simple software updates.

I get the feeling that the actual changes might be less of a problem for you than your own reactions to them/change in general.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 66
    I read that Apple Maps now shows bike information. Alas not in my Maps. In Europe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 66
    I read that Apple Maps now shows bike information. Alas not in my Maps. In Europe.
    https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#maps-cycling
  • Reply 37 of 66
    A simple but big omission is a shortcut to the App Library screen. A long press on the page dots should jump to App Library instead of requiring you to scroll right through multiple screens. It’s a small thing but already causing me to skip using the library. 
    jdb8167macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    ivanh said:
    I didn't and don't have a problem doing a backup either directly connected to the Mac, connected through a USB 3.0 type A hub, or the CalDigit TS3+ Thunderbolt dock.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 66
    I know, I was excited when I saw that on y WatchOS update page.  Not in my area either at the moment. But it gives me hope.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 66
    I wasn't going to update for a few days because of the whole "version 1 syndrome" thing, but somewhere along the line I turned automatic updates on for both my phone and my watch.  I guess I'll see what happens.

But I turned those damned things off again. 🤣
    watto_cobra