Apple could use 'iPhone 12 mini' name for smallest 2020 model

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2020
Apple may change up its naming system for the "iPhone 12," a leaker claims, with the non-Pro models said to be the "iPhone 12" and "iPhone 12 mini."

Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.
Mock-ups of the 'iPhone 12' and 'iPhone 12 Max,' though the names may change.

For previous iPhone releases, Apple went down the route of having a designated regular-sized model of iPhone accompanied by a larger model with the "Max" or "Plus" suffix. While the trend may continue for the "iPhone 12 Pro" and "iPhone 12 Pro Max," Apple may opt to shake up the naming convention for 2020.

According to serial leaker "@l0vetodream" on Twitter, the next models may be called the "iPhone 12 mini," "iPhone 12," "iPhone 12 Pro," and "iPhone 12 Pro Max." Rather than a regular-sized model and a larger "iPhone 12 Max," Apple instead may opt to make the smaller model the "mini" instead, if the claim is to be believed.

12mini
12 Pro
12 Pro Max

The change in name does somewhat make sense, based on earlier rumors about the smartphones. The two "iPhone 12" models are thought to have 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch screens, while the "Pro" versions are anticipated to have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays.

For the suggested names to work, this would mean Apple would consider the 6.1-inch models to be the standard-size versions, with the smaller screen gaining the "mini" addition.

"L0vetodream" has a relatively good track record for leaks and rumors on Apple's product launches and features, which gives some plausibility to the proposed names. There are, however, no guarantees that Apple will use the names until the company unveils the models for the first time.

The "iPhone 12" range is widely believed to have an updated A14 SoC, with twice the number of transistors as the A13, with the standard edition having 4GB of memory while the Pro uses 6GB. The standard editions are rumored to use an aluminum body while Pro models uses stainless steel.

On the back, the "iPhone 12" will have ultra-wide and wide-angle 12-megapixel cameras. The Pro range will have a third for telephoto shots, and are also rumored to gain the LiDAR sensor from the iPad Pro, giving it depth sensing capabilities that could help both with AR and with photographic effects.

Apple is anticipated to announce a second special event, which could take place either in late September or in October, where it is highly likely to reveal the 2020 iPhone range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Man, if it's a leak just for saying all the things that Apple could do then this site is going to get pretty overwhelmed.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 19
    crowley said:
    Man, if it's a leak just for saying all the things that Apple could do then this site is going to get pretty overwhelmed.
    All leaks are things that Apple could do. 

This particular leaker has an excellent track record of being accurate though, so it would be bizarre to not report on it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Yet bigger than 5/5S/SE 🙄🙄🙄
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 19
    What I want is a Mini Pro—a compact phone, something as small as the 4 and/or as thin as the 6, with high-end features. 
    harry wildaderutterright_said_fredwatto_cobrahcc01
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Apple please do not used the “Mini” for the 5.4” iPhone 12!  The “Mini” in the iPad stands for a budget, cheap, economical smaller iPad.  It is now focus selling to children too!  It is ridiculous how the Mini, which when came out was expensive and many business and professional brought it is now sort of a joke! Apple has not really updated the iPad Mini to equal either the iPad Air or iPad Pro.  Just call it by it size - “iPhone 12 Minimum”!
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 6 of 19
    cornchip said:
    Yup, let‘s just hope it won‘t end up being an unwieldy brick. 😕
  • Reply 7 of 19
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I want iPhone mini as half the size of iPhone pro max. It will look like square and simple phone call and text message, music.
    This will be great for kids who glue to the phone too much and Apple can push further with iPhone mini with Apple watch combination.

• Reply 8 of 19
    iPhone 12 SE? OK.  iPhone 12 Mini? No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, 
    harry wildBeats
  • Reply 9 of 19
    YP101 said:
    I want iPhone mini as half the size of iPhone pro max. It will look like square and simple phone call and text message, music.
    This will be great for kids who glue to the phone too much and Apple can push further with iPhone mini with Apple watch combination.

That kind of sounds like the Apple Watch SE
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Eric_WVGG said:
    YP101 said:

That kind of sounds like the Apple Watch SE
    More like the next Apple Watch Max(60mm).
    Beats
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Apple please do not used the “Mini” for the 5.4” iPhone 12!  The “Mini” in the iPad stands for a budget, cheap, economical smaller iPad.  It is now focus selling to children too!  It is ridiculous how the Mini, which when came out was expensive and many business and professional brought it is now sort of a joke! Apple has not really updated the iPad Mini to equal either the iPad Air or iPad Pro.  Just call it by it size - “iPhone 12 Minimum”!
    Your comment is ridiculous.  How is the iPad mini a 'budget, cheap, economical smaller iPad' when it is more expensive than the base model 10.2" iPad?  The mini has an A12 processor and is available in 256GB, double the capacity of the base iPad.  The base model iPad just now in 2020, has been updated to match the performance of the mini.  How do you know the focus is to sell to children?  You do realize that the iPad is popular among everyone, adults and children alike.  Sounds like you have a size issue complex.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    It is silly how this little leaker claims he is someone special for coming up with new iPhone names...you know, since Apple already has a Mac Mini and iPad Mini.  And amazing that 12 comes after 11.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    balu said:
    cornchip said:
    Yup, let‘s just hope it won‘t end up being an unwieldy brick. 😕
    I did the math a while back and it’s really not *THAT* much bigger, but calling it “mini” is a little ridic IMO.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Wouldn't it be just "min" they could also drop the pro-Max just back to Max.

So by size...
    12 min
    12 Pro
    12 mean ;-)
    12 Max
    12 Max + mmWave so thicker
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Ha this leaker replied to me on YouTube once. I asked why anyone should rely on him and he replied "I'm a known leaker yo". I think he may have gotten offended.

Anyways 12 "mini" is a dumb name considering regular iPhones were smaller in the past. I'd like a real mini. Maybe a bezel-less 3.5" screen.
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Beats said:
    Ha this leaker replied to me on YouTube once. I asked why anyone should rely on him and he replied "I'm a known leaker yo". I think he may have gotten offended.

Anyways 12 "mini" is a dumb name considering regular iPhones were smaller in the past. I'd like a real mini. Maybe a bezel-less 3.5" screen.

iPhone 5  was smaller by volume and lighter than the iPhone 4 .
    3.38 cubic inch vs 3.85 that to me range of the mini should be trying to hit.

cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I don’t care what they call it. 

Apple take my money.

we replaced our bedside tables on the weekend, found my old 3GS bottom drawer when cleaning the old one out. It felt real great in the hand. Didn’t work though.
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mattinoz said:
    Beats said:

iPhone 5  was smaller by volume and lighter than the iPhone 4 .
    3.38 cubic inch vs 3.85 that to me range of the mini should be trying to hit.

I know this wasn’t in reply to me, but point taken.
    watto_cobramattinoz
  • Reply 19 of 19
    iPhone 12 i which apple would make a small iPhone The size off the iPod 5 or the iPhone 4