Entire Apple Watch Series 6 package must be returned if Solo Loop, Braided Solo Loop don't...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    I am thinking that this is a ramification of Apple Stores being only partially open.  When I go to my Apple Store there are more customers outside than inside.  So customers are pushed into ordering online.

A fully adjustable watch and band is easy and safe to order online:  My Series 0 and Series 4 came with not only a fully adjustable band but two of them -- a small one and a large one.    But having only a single, non-adjustable band and getting the right size the first time --- particularly one that has to fit "snugly" for the watch to operate correctly -- is, I would say, highly prone to problems.

This was just a bad combination of events:  Apple Stores are barely open which pushes customers to order online something that should be tried on before purchase to determine the correct size and fit.

Apple needs to re-evaluate their store policies:   as I mentioned previously, having stores only partially open is impacting their ability to service their products -- and now its impacting their ability to sell the right product to their customers.  

Soon, the new iPhones will be released -- so how will their sales be impacted?   Are we to order one online then have to activate it ourselves?
    Last fall (a year ago) I bought a new phone for my grandson.   But since his father wasn't there Apple would not activate the phone and told us to go to a Sprint store with his father.    When the 3 of us got to the Sprint store they told us to go back to the Apple Store because they didn't have any SIM cards and we needed to get one from Apple.  The run around was frustrating (but largely the fault of Sprint rather than Apple).

Buying a high end product should be an easy, pleasurable experience.   But, with Apple Stores mostly closed it is becoming a PIA because Apple is losing its ability to service its customers both during and after the sale.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,127member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    I made an appointment at the Apple store and picked up the series 6 with a white band. I was upgrading from the series 5 and brought my watch and white band with me once the order was complete and I paid for everything The sales associate asked if I wanted to keep the band from the series 5, of  I said yes he then had to write up a return slip for the watch band that came with series 6 to allow me to exchange the band for a new color. The band f the new watch does not come in the watch box with series 6, it’s a separate box as if you were buying a watch band as an accessory. In fact within the Apple Watch box they have a cardboard box in the package that is completely empty resembling what a watch band would be boxed in like prior models, seems such a waste of packaging material.
    That seems to be an Apple direct exclusive condition with their mix and match options. Independent resellers are only able to buy the watches with a strap in the box.
    pscooter63tenthousandthings
  • Reply 43 of 57
    I mused on ordering a Series 6 with the new fancypants band, but held off partly due to long shipping dates, and mostly because I received a replacement Series 4 a few weeks ago because my previous one literally had to be charged more than it could be worn and was still under AppleCare. My battery life is now preternatural, and ... it seems I may be able to pick up a Series 6 on the cheap in open-box sales.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Probably has to do with the way that SKUs (stock keeping units) are defined.

This is an issue facing manufacturers and retailers constantly. How many SKUs do you create? You want the minimum number to create the maximum flexibility. So there’s things that won’t fit within the definition. 
    foregoneconclusionronn
  • Reply 45 of 57
    neilmneilm Posts: 988member
    fallenjt said:
    Lame ass product. Seriously, who the fck want to measure the wrist in order to order the band? 
    Since Jon Ivy left, Apple design team started create shitty products. What a shame!
    How are you doing with the one-size-fits-all pants and underwear?
    king editor the grateGeorgeBMacronnrandominternetperson
  • Reply 46 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    I made an appointment at the Apple store and picked up the series 6 with a white band. I was upgrading from the series 5 and brought my watch and white band with me once the order was complete and I paid for everything The sales associate asked if I wanted to keep the band from the series 5, of  I said yes he then had to write up a return slip for the watch band that came with series 6 to allow me to exchange the band for a new color. The band f the new watch does not come in the watch box with series 6, it’s a separate box as if you were buying a watch band as an accessory. In fact within the Apple Watch box they have a cardboard box in the package that is completely empty resembling what a watch band would be boxed in like prior models, seems such a waste of packaging material.
    If it’s any consolation the very first Apple Watch came massively over packaged so the current packaging is a big improvement. 
    ronn
  • Reply 47 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I am thinking that this is a ramification of Apple Stores being only partially open.  When I go to my Apple Store there are more customers outside than inside.  So customers are pushed into ordering online.

A fully adjustable watch and band is easy and safe to order online:  My Series 0 and Series 4 came with not only a fully adjustable band but two of them -- a small one and a large one.    But having only a single, non-adjustable band and getting the right size the first time --- particularly one that has to fit "snugly" for the watch to operate correctly -- is, I would say, highly prone to problems.

This was just a bad combination of events:  Apple Stores are barely open which pushes customers to order online something that should be tried on before purchase to determine the correct size and fit.

Apple needs to re-evaluate their store policies:   as I mentioned previously, having stores only partially open is impacting their ability to service their products -- and now its impacting their ability to sell the right product to their customers.  

Soon, the new iPhones will be released -- so how will their sales be impacted?   Are we to order one online then have to activate it ourselves?
    Last fall (a year ago) I bought a new phone for my grandson.   But since his father wasn't there Apple would not activate the phone and told us to go to a Sprint store with his father.    When the 3 of us got to the Sprint store they told us to go back to the Apple Store because they didn't have any SIM cards and we needed to get one from Apple.  The run around was frustrating (but largely the fault of Sprint rather than Apple).

Buying a high end product should be an easy, pleasurable experience.   But, with Apple Stores mostly closed it is becoming a PIA because Apple is losing its ability to service its customers both during and after the sale.
    Good point. It took me about 4 months to get a replacement Apple smart battery case (product recall). I’ve also noticed that the quality of service that I’ve gotten during online service calls with Apple has degraded. Perhaps they’re backfilling the normally good online staff with idled store staff, or maybe everyone is more edgy, frustrated, and feeling victimized by events that are out of their control. 

Yeah, there are some nasty people out there who derive pleasure from exerting their authority over others and inflicting pain, but the vast majority of people are pretty good. There must be a logical reason why Apple has instituted the policy in question so the only variable is how we react, instinctually or purposefully. If we can suppress the negative forms of the former and apply critical thinking to guide the latter, we’ll all be better off. 
    GeorgeBMacrandominternetperson
  • Reply 48 of 57
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I'm thinking that if I get a 6 this fall, I may just skip the Solo Loop or Braided Solo Loop bands and stick with an adjustable one. I'm thinking of going in to one of the Vancouver Apple Store's for a fitting, but even so, if I find it's too tight or loose afterwards it would be a PITA.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 57
    No charger to save e-waste but have to return the whole watch to exchange a band. Yes Apple really cares. 
    I couldn’t believe how much packaging my AW4 came with. 
  • Reply 50 of 57
    I bought some new pants. The waist is the right size but the legs are too short.
    I don't want the hassle of sending it all back, why can't I just send back the legs for longer ones?
    randominternetpersonronn
  • Reply 51 of 57

It all sounds so easy using the printable tape until you buy the loop.  Measured as suggested then ordered ....eh voila 5 days later it arrived (yes I jumped in quick) but the band is too big!  😆 oy vey

My advice is take the measurement provided by Apple and subtract  what you see between the arrows by two and that’ll do the trick. So if you a size 5 buy a size 3 etc

And those who bought the loops with the watch.  Just put the loop on eBay.

Two great reasons...there’s heaps of folk dying to get their mits on one and will pay over the going price for faster access and it resolves the having to return the whole set, watch included and then have a painful wait until November.   Thereby denying someone the chance to buy said loop early. 

So you’re doing you a service by being able to keep the watch and to your fellow frustrated wannabes by giving them a fighting chance of buying a loop this decade.  And of course you might even find the size you need too on eBay.  There seems to be a rapidly growing availability for them. 

Sadly for me...my wife is a size 3 and there aren’t many out there. But I’m still looking.  

• Reply 52 of 57
    Weird logic methinks. 
    Simply keep the watch, sell the band on eBay

...and gauging by the sheer number of folk accurately measuring their wrists the corresponding numbers are out by a factor of two so order 2 sizes back. 

I wonder who was responsible for the fitment process but it’s caused a lot of headaches.  
  • Reply 53 of 57
    evilution said:
    I bought some new pants. The waist is the right size but the legs are too short.
    I don't want the hassle of sending it all back, why can't I just send back the legs for longer ones?
    If the legs of your trousers are detachable, like the Apple Watch band, you would have a point.  As it is...
    Xed
  • Reply 54 of 57
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’m worried about this too. I ordered a band size that I think will fit not thinking that I’ve lost weight recently and my sport bands have to be tightened one hole more. If I gain the weight back it’ll be too tight so I hope it’s got some give. 
    If you're concerned that your weight may fluctuate significantly enough that the band may no longer fit around your wrist, I'd suggest sticking to bands that are adjustable. These new bands have enough "give" to go over your fist, but for people embarking on dramatic weight loss these bands can't "tighten" beyond their original size, thus the sizing guide.
    ronn
  • Reply 55 of 57
    chasm said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’m worried about this too. I ordered a band size that I think will fit not thinking that I’ve lost weight recently and my sport bands have to be tightened one hole more. If I gain the weight back it’ll be too tight so I hope it’s got some give. 
    If you're concerned that your weight may fluctuate significantly enough that the band may no longer fit around your wrist, I'd suggest sticking to bands that are adjustable. These new bands have enough "give" to go over your fist, but for people embarking on dramatic weight loss these bands can't "tighten" beyond their original size, thus the sizing guide.

In my case, I either sprained (or increasingly I think I broke) my wrist playing one on one basketball with my grandson when our feet got tangled and I went down.   I haven't been able to use the usual notch for a month now:  normally its on the third hole and now I keep it on the second and, overnight, on the first.   The swelling is slowly going down, but is still there.

I suspect if I wasn't using an adjustable band that I would have had to buy one.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    I posted this on 09/21/20 :

I received my watch today and discovered the above mentioned sizing constraint. I took it to my local Apple Store who exchanged my oversized Braided Band (Size 11) for a gift card. I kept my Titanium Watch even though they did not have any Braided Band in stock for an exchange. 

Prior to going to the store, I knew the store did have any Braided Bands in stock, so I purchased a Sports Band (Size 10). This size seemed to be the proper fit. I did noticed the band was slightly tight when I first put it upon my wrist. After a minute or less the fit was snug. The warmth from my wrist seem to loosen the fit. With this in mind, I would advised anyone who is in between sizes with the new Sport or Braided Apple Watch Bands to purchase the lower size. 

Since that day, I have can personally attest to the fact that the Apple Watch Band template is not to scale. From my experience and from the experience of my significant other, the Solo Band should be bought at a size that is one size below the Apple’s cut-out template while the Braided Loop Band should be bought at a size that is one or two sizes below the template depending where your wrist lands on the scale (toward the front or middle or back). Both the Solo and Braided Bands are very comfortable and seemed to conform to the wrist without except one they are slipped on beyond the hand. As in any new product or tech, I have learned to expect a couple of hiccup without complaint  whenever I have been an early adopter!  I hope this helps others. 
    ronnGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 57 of 57
    I just got off the phone with Apple. On an unrelated issue they asked how I liked the watch and I let them know except for having to send the watch back if I want to exchange my mis-sized band it was great. She informed me this policy just changed this morning and they will now setup a band exchange for you. It is a 1-time size only change - you will not be able to change again and it must be for the same band, same color.