Coalition for App Fairness unites developers to fight Apple's App Store fees and policies

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Maybe someone should create an app for the Apple App Store that tells users if they have installed any apps that come from these vendors which are trying to destroy Apple's business.
    bshankDogpersonBeatswatto_cobratobianDetnator
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Yeah, I have little sympathy for these guys and won't be using their apps.

Spotify is growing from someone I ignore to someone I actively dislike - their potshots at Apple One are particularly telling - like if Apple engages in anything to help sell their own services then Spotify is grievously damaged by it.

Of course, these are the same scumbags who sued artists for wanting more per stream than the piddly amount Spotify gives them.

I can sympathize for calls for greater transparency and accountability for app store rejections, but too many of these guys just want a free ride - which they can get if they just advertise outside of the app and app store domain and handle their own payment system (like Spotify does already).

Someone - AT&T? - gave me a free Spotify subscription which I ignored which is unfortunate as it undoubtedly increased their subscription numbers.
    bshankpscooter63watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 23 of 37
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Coalition for App FairnessWhinging Freeloaders unites developers to fight Apple's App Store fees and policies

Fixed that for ya.
    Coalition for whining...
    Fixed that for ya. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    I can’t read your cookie policy (by pressing the link in the cookie notice that only has an Accept button) WITHOUT first accepting your cookie usage!  What kind of rinky-dink outfit and website are you. I supposed you were ‘developers’ but I’m wondering even more now. I’d like to read your position but without being tracked by your insistence I accept your usage of cookies.  In fact, I just want to read first your cookie policy and can’t even do that!  
    edited September 2020 headfull0wineDogpersonwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 25 of 37
    stuke said:
    I can’t read your cookie policy (by pressing the link in the cookie notice that only has an Accept button) WITHOUT first accepting your cookie usage!  What kind of rinky-dink outfit and website are you. I supposed you were ‘developers’ but I’m wondering even more now. I’d like to read your position but without being tracked by your insistence I accept your usage of cookies.  In fact, I just want to read first your cookie policy and can’t even do that!  
    LOL, I forgot to mention that in my long post above. Great job.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Rayz2016 said:
    Hmph. Their website locks up if you don’t accept their tracking cookies. 

Yup, think I’ve got the measure of this lot. 
    Agree.

However, using safari, if you enable the developer tools, there’s an option in the develop menu to disable css, which will allow you to read all the content without explicitly accepting the use of cookies.  That said, they’re still tracking you via a cookie unless you disabled cookies, but it makes me feel better that I’m not accepting their terms.  

“I never accepted that!”, it’s a moot point and would probably never be relevant. But it makes me feel better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The little red hen version by Ronald Reagan

Once upon a time there was a little red hen who scratched about the barnyard until she uncovered some grains of wheat. She called her neighbors and said 'If we plant this wheat, we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?

"Not I, " said the cow.

"Not I," said the duck.

"Not I," said the pig.

"Not I," said the goose.

"Then I will," said the little red hen. And she did. The wheat grew tall and ripened into golden grain. "Who will help me reap my wheat?" asked the little red hen.

"Not I," said the duck.

"Out of my classification," said the pig.

"I'd lose my seniority," said the cow.

"I'd lose my unemployment compensation," said the goose.

"Then I will," said the little red hen, and she did. At last the time came to bake the bread. "Who will help me bake bread?" asked the little red hen.

"That would be overtime for me," said the cow.

"I'd lose my welfare benefits," said the duck.

"I'm a dropout and never learned how," said the pig.

"If I'm to be the only helper, that's discrimination," said the goose.

"Then I will," said the little red hen.

She baked five loaves and held them up for the neighbors to see.

They all wanted some and, in fact, demanded a share. But the little red hen said, "No, I can eat the five loaves myself."

"Excess profits," cried the cow.

"Capitalist leech," screamed the duck.

"I demand equal rights," yelled the goose.

And the pig just grunted.

And they painted "unfair" picket signs and marched round and around the little red hen shouting obscenities.

When the government agent came, he said to the little red hen, "You must not be greedy."

"But I earned the bread," said the little red hen.

"Exactly," said the agent. "That's the wonderful free enterprise system. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much as he wants. But under our modern government regulations productive workers must divide their products with the idle."

And they lived happily ever after, including the little red hen, who smiled and clucked, "I am grateful, I am grateful." But her neighbors wondered why she never again baked any more bread.

pscooter63qwerty52Beatswatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 28 of 37
    mac_dog said:

Coalition for App FairnessWhinging Freeloaders unites developers to fight Apple's App Store fees and policies

Fixed that for ya.
    Coalition for whining...
    Fixed that for ya. 
    No fixing required: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

Dogpersonpscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Pathetic. Know what’s fair about the App Store? Those apps which address the needs of customers succeed, those which don’t fail. That’s exactly what should happen.
    watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 30 of 37
    I like how this coalition totally ignores the fact that 30% is the standard fee on pretty much every platform, Google, Xbox, PS, and that the App Store provides value to these companies. Apple created the store, it’s services, and most importantly its reputation and ease of use. One of the reasons I use an iPhone is because while I enjoy building computers and hacking around with my PCs and various software my phone does not fall into that category. I depend on my phone and knowing Apple is at least making some effort to keep things legit and the OS up to date I can relax use the App Store with some confidence. Not to bash Android, but the ability to side load apps and vendors basically abandoning their devices in record time with OS updates has made it hot garbage. I use an iPhone 7, a four year old phone that is still running the most up to date OS and still gets security updates. My phone looks like it will literally die of old age before it gets abandoned. 

Most importantly if your business model requires/depends the use of someone else’s platform you can’t really expect that platform not to have the ability to effect your bottom line. 
    Dogpersonpscooter63qwerty52watto_cobratobianDetnator
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Boycott these spoiled, ungrateful bunch...most of whom made millions and sometimes billions form this  very platform  they are fighting against (now that they have made their millions! )
    Stinky Bunch! 
    Dogpersonwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Pathetic. Know what’s fair about the App Store? Those apps which address the needs of customers succeed, those which don’t fail. That’s exactly what should happen.
    Yeah, except someone needs to take care of the long term consequences for the entire ecosystem. Because neither the individual consumers nor the developers will. And when it’s too late you will just have another Andork system, and with no chance to put the reckless cat back in the bag again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Yeah, except someone needs to take care of the long term consequences for the entire ecosystem. Because neither the individual consumers nor the developers will. And when it’s too late you will just have another Andork system, and with no chance to put the reckless cat back in the bag again.
    What “long term consequences”? Those who can create and provide a product people want will survive. That’s all that must happen. Bad companies, bad programming, bad products... do not and should not last. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    The only people who have any right to complain about apple practices concerning devices and services tied to the platforms are WE - The customers. The ones that actually vote with our wallets and spend our hard earned money for precisely the reasons that most of these cretins are demonising Apple for. Being as the customer base is quite content with things as they stand and at least in my case would be extremely unhappy if the tight integration and safety, and privacy etc were compromised then that should be that. Perhaps Apple customers should be contacted for their views, as opposed to developers who have a financial interest in weakening Apple then maybe they’ll get the message. Why should we have to be subjected to an inferior product or OS? If I wanted Android or Windows I wouldn’t be using the devices I am, and I’m sure 95% + of all Apple users would agree.
    watto_cobratobianDetnator
  • Reply 35 of 37
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Sorry, but I’m confused. Is it really the developers who are paying the 30% fee to Apple or is it the consumers?  And do the developers really think people would rather pay, for example, $6 instead of $9 for an app that hasn’t gone through any kind of screening process?  
    Also, how many developers are willing to do without the SDK and other help Apple gives them or at least don’t want that available to anyone?  Maybe the big guys don’t need help developing apps (any more), but thousands of others do. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 37
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Rayz2016 said:

diz_geek said:
    Even though I haven’t used it since Apple Music launched, I finally said “ya know, I should delete my Spotify account...”. 

So I did.

And the Tile that I’ve got...  yeah, definitely not upgrading to their Premium subscription...  when the built in battery dies, I’m done with them. 

Getting more than a little tired of the crud from Spotify, Epic and Tile.  I get the “we need to stay profitable to stay in business and the 30% cuts into our margins” thing...  but these three companies are just coming across as scumbags.  There is so much to the App Store beyond just hosting that they pretend doesn’t exist that costs money to develop. There’s the software and hardware development costs, the developer tools (last I checked, Xcode didn’t just magically appear out of thin air...), the hosting, the advertising, the financial transactions...  their PR likes to pretend that these things don’t exist and that Apple is just taking 30% of pure profit for themselves....
    Wish I could find that ArsTechnica post. Someone worked out how much Apple pays in download fees for Fortnite, with no guarantee of getting it back. Tired of these whiners. 

Don’t like it? Leave the platform. 

I remember a tweet where a developer who understands cloud storage broke down the cost. Apple was paying something like $50,000/month for Fortnite ALONE.

Then you have the engineers working 24/7 reviewing 100,000 apps a week, R&D, innovations in security and privacy, etc. etc.
    watto_cobraGaby
  • Reply 37 of 37
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    We should all boycott Spotif  support Apple Music. We should all boycott these greedy filthy companies and support Apple services when possible.

Sh**, Spotify is the same damn company who fought to pay artists LESS for streams.
    qwerty52watto_cobraDetnator