iOS 14.2 beta code hints no free EarPods with 'iPhone 12'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2020
Code strings uncovered in the latest iOS 14.2 beta release suggest Apple does not intend to include a free set of EarPods with new "iPhone 12" purchases.

EarPods

Apple in Tuesday's beta version of iOS 14.2 tweaked language in the operating system's Legal & Regulatory section to omit mention of "supplied headphones," suggesting upcoming iPhone models will not come with gratis EarPods in the box, reports MacRumors.

Found in a section covering RF Exposure, the new notice reads, "To reduce exposure to RF energy, use a hands-free option, such as the built-in speakerphone, headphones, or other similar accessories." Prior operating system versions up to the current iOS 14.0.1 refer to "supplied headphones."

A minor modification, the change in language is significant as Apple rarely updates the Legal & Regulatory component of iOS.

The discovery, and subsequent speculation, lines up with predictions from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who in May said Apple would nix free EarPods with the introduction of "iPhone 12." Motives for the change are unclear, but Kuo guessed the removal could coincide with an unannounced AirPods promotion.

Introduced alongside iPhone 5 in 2012, Apple's EarPods replaced the standard white earbuds that shipped with iPod and iPhone devices for more than a decade. Featuring directed speaker ports and a comfortable in-ear fit, the design served as a basis for AirPods and AirPods Pro. A Lightning model debuted with iPhone 7 in 2016 as Apple moved away from the traditional 3.5mm headphone jack.

In addition to the possible removal of EarPods, rumors suggest Apple will not include the usual AC adapter with next-generation handset models. The company set precedent for the shift by not including 5W adapters with Apple Watch Series 6, framing the move as part of continued efforts to offset the impact its popular devices have on the environment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    There come a time that iPhones will ship with nothing but the phone I’m not so distant future. 
    joerock1234
  • Reply 2 of 22
    KTRKTR Posts: 278member
    I guess apple always seems to start a trend. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    The EarPods were not free, nor is the charging cable and power supply, they are included in the price of the phone.
    joerock1234randominternetpersonrossb2omasoulkruppAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,014member
    I don’t think most people care about not getting another pair of the standard EarPods. I do think not including a charging cable or charger is a huge mistake. How the hell are you going to buy a $1200 phone and it doesn’t come with a charger? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    The EarPods were not free, nor is the charging cable and power supply, they are included in the price of the phone.
    So the price will go up or stay the same but provide less value. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 6 of 22
    sdw2001 said:
    I don’t think most people care about not getting another pair of the standard EarPods. I do think not including a charging cable or charger is a huge mistake. How the hell are you going to buy a $1200 phone and it doesn’t come with a charger? 
    I hope this not true😟😟
    meterestnzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    h2ph2p Posts: 328member
    designr said:
    Here's the thing...the base box will not include these items. But they will be a la carte options. If you want/need them, you'll buy them. If not, you won't. This actually adds options for people.
    Giving (loyal) customers the option of a coupon code to pick up the headset and/or charging cube at your local Apple Store.That's an option. 5W USB Power Adapter, $19 at Apple.com. REALLY? 

The price of iPhone will not be reduced, period. A Premium phone like iPhone should include the options above for your "free" accessories.

I do understand anticipating larger margins -- given the possibility of taking a services hit or being forced to lower App Store fees (both however unlikely).... the EU could end up making Apple open up ApplePay. Cutting into their profits. Isn't the EU & US both making noise about anti-trust action?

Re: environmental impact. Rings a bit hollow to me. Landfills mounded with 5Watt'ers?
    razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Honestly, I would be very supportive of a shift back to a physical Home button AND a return of a 1/8” headphone jack connector. <shrug>
    muthuk_vanalingammpw_amherst
  • Reply 9 of 22
    It's one thing to not include a 5W USB mini-brick.  Everyone and his mother has one of those.  But... not including the lightning cable would be... unfortunate and customer-unfriendly.  First, this is will put a sour taste in the mouth of any "switcher" who has no lightning cables. Second, cables wear out, so even long-time iPhone users can benefit from having a spare.

As to the EarPods, I suppose it's understandable.  An iPhone is 100% functional without headphones.  However, I hope they do something like offer a discount on EarPods/AirPods with purchase of an iPhone.  Someone who wants wired headphones with their new iPhone shouldn't have to pay $20 for something that costs Apple a couple bucks or less.  Again, iPhone "switchers" won't have any lightning headphones they can reuse.
    h4y3sAnilu_777razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,108member
    None of the phones I had before my first iPhone had earphones. It’s funny how Apple included these for “free” all these years and now so many people feel like they’re entitled to them. Yes, entitled. 

@sdw2001: Have you seen any evidence that a charging cable won’t be included?
    randominternetpersonAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I have read that the 12’s will come with a new braid covered charging cable. 
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    It's one thing to not include a 5W USB mini-brick.  Everyone and his mother has one of those.  But... not including the lightning cable would be... unfortunate and customer-unfriendly.  First, this is will put a sour taste in the mouth of any "switcher" who has no lightning cables. Second, cables wear out, so even long-time iPhone users can benefit from having a spare.

As to the EarPods, I suppose it's understandable.  An iPhone is 100% functional without headphones.  However, I hope they do something like offer a discount on EarPods/AirPods with purchase of an iPhone.  Someone who wants wired headphones with their new iPhone shouldn't have to pay $20 for something that costs Apple a couple bucks or less.  Again, iPhone "switchers" won't have any lightning headphones they can reuse.
    speaking personally, I now use a wireless charging stand for my iPhone , so no cable.  I also have so many apple cables I do not know what to do with them. Every time I bought a magic keyboard, Magic Mouse, and AirPods, they included a lightning cable. I actually think including that cable with all accessories is nuts. They could reduce the cost of all accessories by say $10 and lose the cable.
    edited September 2020 Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    sdw2001 said:
    My new watches included the charge puck/cable but not the 5W wall adapter. I tend to upgrade and pass down older models every year, so I have a box full of Apple 5W adapters.

It's most likely, like the MacBook optical drives. We've hit a tipping point where folks either have past 5W adapters or better, USB wall sockets, USB multi power adapters and/or are moving to wireless charging.

I'm still waiting for Apple to switch over from USB A to USB C lightning (not USB C-USB C). I find that more annoying than not including the 5W adapter.
    edited September 2020 Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    designr said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Here's the thing...the base box will not include these items. But they will be a la carte options. If you want/need them, you'll buy them. If not, you won't. This actually adds options for people.
    👍who does not have an extra cable or power supply in a drawer. Thank you Apple for helping us declutter.
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Value is in the eye of the consumer.

Every manufactured product involves making trade-offs in order to hit price targets. Apple incurs enormous non recurring engineering (NRE) costs with every redesign that need to be amortized over the product life cycle. Everyone in the product development and logistics channels need to get paid, material costs go up, manufacturing costs go up, shipping costs go up, safety and security costs go up, unplanned expenses like PPE for employees and putting work-from-home infrastructure and capital together suddenly appear, tariffs get imposed, competitors up their game, investors have growth and profitability expectations, and all the while, customer expectations around “acceptable” year over year selling price increases combine to put strain on the whole system. Something has to be sacrificed to hit the price target. 

I personally prefer to have Apple jettison a marginal-value part of the product bundle, like the EarPods (which, in my experience, should be renamed DrawerPods) rather than shaving the equivalent cost from the remaining part of the bundle, i.e., the phone itself. In other words, chuck the pods rather than cheaping out somewhere else in the phone’s build.   

So yeah, decluttering my drawer of another set of EarPods while not cost reducing other parts of the phone delivers more value to me. Your value may vary (YVMV). 
    edited September 2020 docno42Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    rossb2 said:

speaking personally, I now use a wireless charging stand for my iPhone , so no cable.  I also have so many apple cables I do not know what to do with them. Every time I bought a magic keyboard, Magic Mouse, and AirPods, they included a lightning cable. I actually think including that cable with all accessories is nuts. They could reduce the cost of all accessories by say $10 and lose the cable.
    Good points, but it would be best if those people who do need a cable or earphones could pick them up for, say, $5 at time of phone purchase (rather than $19).
    Anilu_777h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Good - I cleaned out a lot of old boxes for recycling and threw away three pairs of the earbuds - it’s an utter waste.  If people are still hung up on them Apple should offer a code people can redeem for their free pair.  

This isn’t just Apple - I have piles of USB A cables from various gear over the years that comes with them.  All this started in the 70’s and 80’s where everything was ala carte and understood to be so - it’s time to go back to the old ways.  
    Anilu_777jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22

I expect there will be a charger cable as the Apple Watch Series 6 had but no power brick. I must have 6 power bricks lying around the house from different phones. Also I have a wireless charger. Don’t need any cables either come to think of it but those are the things that break more so including a charging cable for those whose cables have broken or for switchers would be a good idea for sure. 

I agree with another poster that there should be included coupons (only usable at the time of purchase or pickup) so people who need power bricks, EarPods or cables could buy one at a reduced price. If they don’t use them then, they pay regular price (people who really need them will get them when they get their phone). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Nobody has mentioned it yet but the EU has made a big deal about electronic waste from chargers and cables for YEARS and I think this move is related to that.  I guess the world's in good shape when you can focus on these kinds of issues.  AI has reported on it a few times, I think.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_external_power_supply
    It's really about the chargers.  How better to address it than to make the charger a separate item?

I don't really care either way.  As previous person commented, the earbuds, cables, etc. were never really free, just included in the price.  I think some previous AI articles also suggested that Apple would deal with higher iPhone component costs by eliminating accessories. In that case, you're not getting less value as someone suggested, but all that value is in the phone in the form of better specs, etc.  Most of us have a drawer of cables and chargers - who needs another one that's functionally identical?  For years people have criticized the earbuds as substandard - it matters so much to you to get another pair?  We're all better off getting a pair of something we like than getting another freebie we don't.

Bottom line: who really cares?

jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    In the case of the EarPods, they’re crap. 
    I tried them a few times. They sounded terrible, were uncomfortable and tended to fall out of my ears.

I lost count of how many pairs I got and never used.
    I’d rather not get them at all. A total waste.

What do they cost? $20 bucks? I doubt Apple drops the price.
    beowulfschmidt