Apple tells users to erase, restore iPhone and Apple Watch to fix Workout GPS data bug

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    If one has no computer and no full-device iCloud backups, this seems like a really bad idea.
    Not backing up your data is a really bad idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    What about us users who do not use iCloud for backup? I back up to my Mac. I'm not paying extra for storage and I do not trust the cloud with MY data. From data breaches to holding my data hostage, I will not use the cloud. Its all about locking you in and making it harder to change in the future. I don't want some pimple faced geek laughing at my pictures, or having items now deemed "inappropriate" removed, to being prosecuted for having the wrong type of data as well. In today's heated climate, saying, doing, or having the wrong things can get you cancelled. I'm not buying into Orwellian surveillance in the name of so called convenience. 
    Not sure why you wouldn't be able to use a local encrypted backup.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Wipe and restore for bug fixing is always unnecessary IMO unless the bug itself causes massive corruption or deletes data.

Users definitely shouldn't have to have an iCloud paid tier (or even a trial period to fix this kind of stuff).

It would be better for Apple to really pump software resources into making 'system repair' a modular affair. This would allow Apple to restore only the affected subsystems. 

If a restore is the only way out of the pickle then users should be given free iCloud access to seamlessly manage backup and restore and once up and running with the fresh system and migration, allow users to download the backup to local media if they choose to before shutting down the temporary iCloud space. 

Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 24 of 31
    The apple fix suggestion does not fix the problem.  All of my previous GPS workout maps are gone.  Today’s swim is tracked appropriately after going through 2.5 hours of hassle per apple guidance.  So bad!  Steve Jobs would nor let this happen, heads would be rolling by now!
    hope they can fix this!
  • Reply 25 of 31
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The battery on my AW6 is draining faster then before the update. Apple should come up with an update expeditiously rather then expect us to use a lengthy half ass method to eradicate the bug.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 26 of 31
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This can be a nightmare having to reset my iPhone AND Apple Watch!  When I got my iPhone 11 PRO MAX a year ago, it was DAYS before it totally restored all my data to the phone!  Pictures especially.  Then have to re-do all my Apple Pay cards?  God knows what else I'll have to spend hours setting back up, not to mention the DATA that is going to be used on my internet plan (yes, we are capped at 1TB at home) downloading all my cloud data back.

I can see that my walks are no longer being mapped as of 09/18/20.  So apparently I am affected, although I could care less about the maps.  I walk the same route every day.

But I am having HomeKit camera issues that are GPS related.  Cameras that are set to OFF when Home, are not turning on when I am AWAY.  I wonder if this is related?
    OK, it's been a while since I've actually had to restore a backup (I've been extremely lucky, as long as I haven't just jinxed myself), but as I recall, a local, encrypted backup will also backup and restore those sensitive items, such as wifi passwords, Apple Pay cards, etc.

If I'm misremembering, or it no longer does that, I apologize.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If one has no computer and no full-device iCloud backups, this seems like a really bad idea.
    You don’t need a computer to do iCloud backups. 
    If you don’t have backups then this GPS issue isn’t your biggest problem. 
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This can be a nightmare having to reset my iPhone AND Apple Watch!  When I got my iPhone 11 PRO MAX a year ago, it was DAYS before it totally restored all my data to the phone!  Pictures especially.  Then have to re-do all my Apple Pay cards?  God knows what else I'll have to spend hours setting back up, not to mention the DATA that is going to be used on my internet plan (yes, we are capped at 1TB at home) downloading all my cloud data back.

I can see that my walks are no longer being mapped as of 09/18/20.  So apparently I am affected, although I could care less about the maps.  I walk the same route every day.

But I am having HomeKit camera issues that are GPS related.  Cameras that are set to OFF when Home, are not turning on when I am AWAY.  I wonder if this is related?
    OK, it's been a while since I've actually had to restore a backup (I've been extremely lucky, as long as I haven't just jinxed myself), but as I recall, a local, encrypted backup will also backup and restore those sensitive items, such as wifi passwords, Apple Pay cards, etc.

If I'm misremembering, or it no longer does that, I apologize.
    Apple Pay cards are not restored from the backups. You need to set them up again. It remembers the actual cards, but you need to get them revalidated. 

Loyalty cards and the like are fine 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 29 of 31
    I did the Apple recommended procedure, and 2.5 hours later I still did not have any old GPS maps.  I do get GPS maps for new swims, but completely inaccurate.  According the Activity app I swam 32 seconds per 100 yards for portions of me swim this morning.  And there was minimal current that might have boosted my speed to 1:30s/100y.  Totally nuts and annoying.
    Hope this gets fixed soon.
    NorwichGordy
  • Reply 30 of 31
    dkmjdkmj Posts: 1member
    I did the whole unpair restore procedure. Had one walk with working gps tracking. One day later, go’s data missing again! Frustrating. Recommendations? Just do the long procedure once again? Phone hasn’t even finished looking through my large photo set again, identifying faces and such. Two days after first reset. 
    NorwichGordy