Google Project Zero security researcher moves to Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion
A researcher who worked for Google's Project Zero is departing the security team and moving over to Apple, to help the iPhone maker improve the security of iOS and its other operating systems.

Revealed on Twitter on Saturday, Brandon Azad confirmed he was leaving Project Zero in favor of a position at Apple in the following week. He will be joining Apple to "continue my work improving Apple device security."

Project Zero is Google's security research team that concentrates on finding security issues and vulnerabilities in software, both in Google's own products and of other major firms. The team works to improve the security of devices and software the general public uses by pointing out the issues to device producers, before performing an ethical disclosure of its findings.

This includes a collection of zero-click bugs in Apple's Image I/O framework affecting all of Apple's major platforms, and discovering exploits in hacked websites targeting iPhones.

My teammates at Project Zero have been among the kindest and smartest people I've met, and I've learned so much from them. I'll really miss working alongside everyone on the team. Thank you all for these wonderful experiences, and keep on hacking!

-- Brandon Azad (@_bazad)

Azad is known for his work on iOS issues, and has been credited in Apple's patch notes for both iOS and macOS releases multiple times. By moving to Apple, Azad may be able to assist in plugging some of the security holes he finds externally before they get discovered by research teamd like Project Zero.

In tweets, Azad calls his time at Project Zero "amazing" and says it's "been an honor to share in this wonderful mission." His teammates were among "the kindest and smartest people I've met, and I've learned so much from them," he adds, before thanking them and urging to "keep on hacking."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    The Google Project Zero team have ironically been excellent at discovering security issues within iOS (et al), so it is great news that one of them will be joining Apple directly. I wish the people in that team were allowed to take charge over the security of Android and the Google Play Store, the major sources of malware and security issues in the mobile world ...
    lolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chasm said:
    The Google Project Zero team have ironically been excellent at discovering security issues within iOS (et al), so it is great news that one of them will be joining Apple directly. I wish the people in that team were allowed to take charge over the security of Android and the Google Play Store, the major sources of malware and security issues in the mobile world ...
    Despite what people who don't use Android insist on believing: 

A) virtually no Android exploits actually impact real world end users
    B) nearly all Android vulnerabilities are due to bypassing Google Play and sideloading apps - which means that Apple fans who call Android a monopoly and demand that governments need to it up would result in more security issues not less.  Do Apple fans want this in order for the increased security problems to force more customers who otherwise would be happy and satisfied by Android into iOS unwillingly?
    C) The open nature of Android makes accomplishing real security impossible. Google learned from this and has since made every other platform i.e. ChromeOS, Wear OS and Android TV very much closed down. You cannot so much as even obtain an image of ChromeOS to create a virtual machine or use with Bootcamp. As a result virtually no security issues - even the type that results in no end user exploits and are easily avoided like in Android - exist on ChromeOS and the others.
    D) if your core complaint is Google having Project Zero at all, well there was nothing preventing Apple from investing the massive resources and leadership that it took to create the best private cybersecurity research team in the world in Project Zero. You should bash Apple for not creating their own team instead of bashing Google for having this sort of initiative. Instead Apple is reduced to acqui-hiring someone that Google put in the hard work of identifying and training.
    muthuk_vanalingamcornchipphilboogie
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cloudguy said:
    chasm said:

B) nearly all Android vulnerabilities are due to bypassing Google Play and sideloading
    Depends what you mean by “virtually no Android exploits …”

Hackers are actively exploiting StrandHogg, a newly revealed Android vulnerability, to steal users’ mobile banking credentials and empty their accounts, a Norwegian app security company has warned.
    […]
    Promon identified the StrandHogg vulnerability after it was informed by an Eastern European security company [Wultra] for the financial sector (to which Promon supplies app security support) that several banks in the Czech Republic had reported money disappearing from customer accounts.

Strandhogg seems so popular it cropped up again this year. 

lollivercornchiptechconcAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Glad he’s on board. 

Project Zero does excellent work. 
    lolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rayz2016 said:
    cloudguy said:
    chasm said:

B) nearly all Android vulnerabilities are due to bypassing Google Play and sideloading
    Depends what you mean by “virtually no Android exploits …”

Hackers are actively exploiting StrandHogg, a newly revealed Android vulnerability, to steal users’ mobile banking credentials and empty their accounts, a Norwegian app security company has warned.
    […]
    Promon identified the StrandHogg vulnerability after it was informed by an Eastern European security company [Wultra] for the financial sector (to which Promon supplies app security support) that several banks in the Czech Republic had reported money disappearing from customer accounts.

Strandhogg seems so popular it cropped up again this year. 

Only Android version 9 and below could have been exploited and a security update back in May this year (the same month Strandhog Vers,2 was "discovered) immunized all versions. Strandhogg is stranded. 
    https://www.androidcentral.com/strandhogg-20-steals-data-posing-legitimate-android-apps

The OP claim of "virtually no Android exploits" still looks OK if Strandhogg was all you could find.

edited October 2020 Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cloudguy said:

I downloaded some reading/news apps for my mom’s android phone not so long ago. These are not junk apps but from bigger companies. Interestingly they all want permission to access everything in the phone system, no permission no working app. This may not be security holes or maybe you will even call it features. But these kinda thing will not happen in today’s iOS. The idea of access all my personal information is evil enough no matter it is a virus or not.
    lollivermuthuk_vanalingamOferBeatsAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    viclauyyc said:
    cloudguy said:

I downloaded some reading/news apps for my mom’s android phone not so long ago. These are not junk apps but from bigger companies. Interestingly they all want permission to access everything in the phone system, no permission no working app. This may not be security holes or maybe you will even call it features. But these kinda thing will not happen in today’s iOS. The idea of access all my personal information is evil enough no matter it is a virus or not.
    viclauyyc said:
    cloudguy said:

I downloaded some reading/news apps for my mom’s android phone not so long ago. These are not junk apps but from bigger companies. Interestingly they all want permission to access everything in the phone system, no permission no working app. This may not be security holes or maybe you will even call it features. But these kinda thing will not happen in today’s iOS. 
    These things won't happen in today's Google Android either.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/android_11-review-2165p3.php

Surely you didn't approve those permissions if the app requested it. 
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 14
    gatorguy said:
    Only Android version 9 and below could have been exploited and a security update back in May this year (the same month Strandhog Vers,2 was "discovered) immunized all versions. Strandhogg is stranded. 
    https://www.androidcentral.com/strandhogg-20-steals-data-posing-legitimate-android-apps

The OP claim of "virtually no Android exploits" still looks OK if Strandhogg was all you could find.

So? The last major version is 10, being used by 8.3% as of April. I guess 91.7% being vulnerable at that time is ok. 
    cornchipOfertechconcBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gatorguy said:

So? The last major version is 10, being used by 8.3% as of April. I guess 91.7% being vulnerable at that time is ok. 
    I'm sure to the few hundred downloaders of the 35 total apps trying to infect someone it was important. As an aside I thought the reference to "10's of apps" from the original security article was a bit humorous. But did you miss it was patched for all versions of Android 8 and 9 months ago, in May?  Apparently so. That minimally covers 70% of  Android devices.

10.0 1033.29%
    9.0 Pie26.09%
    8.1 Oreo10.96%

Neither 10 nor the current Android 11 was vulnerable to begin and FWIW Version 2 of the "exploit" was reportedly never seen in the wild thanks to Android's relatively open-source nature and security researchers who can regularly examine its code.
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingamphilboogie
  • Reply 10 of 14
     But did you miss it was patched for all versions of Android 8 and 9 months ago, in May?  Apparently so. That minimally covers 70% of  Android devices.

Did you miss I said, at the time?????
    cornchipBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
     But did you miss it was patched for all versions of Android 8 and 9 months ago, in May?  Apparently so. That minimally covers 70% of  Android devices.

Did you miss I said, at the time?????
    Oh, so the 35 apps downloaded a total of 500 times (give or take) is what you were referring to, not Android at large. Certain people targeted would be the presumption, with the offending apps immediately purged and the security update blocking it rolled out before the researcher announced his discovery. Sounds very similar to an exploit discovered targeting Uighurs specifically a few months ago.

AFAICT things worked exactly as they are supposed to. Exploit identified, the OS provider notified, update with fix prepared and rolled out, and the exploit then publically revealed. Isn't that the way things should go whether it's a Mac, or Windoze, or Android, or iOS exploit? No harm to users is the goal and that's the end result in this case.

If you disagree explain why. 
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I think Google made this team to make real iPhones and real iPads look bad. Looks like it's backfiring. Google should take care of their own security holes before trying to patch others. Oh "but Open!" and "I don't need security updates!"

gatorguy said:
    viclauyyc said:
    cloudguy said:

viclauyyc said:
    cloudguy said:

I downloaded some reading/news apps for my mom’s android phone not so long ago. These are not junk apps but from bigger companies. Interestingly they all want permission to access everything in the phone system, no permission no working app. This may not be security holes or maybe you will even call it features. But these kinda thing will not happen in today’s iOS. 
    These things won't happen in today's Google Android either.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/android_11-review-2165p3.php

Surely you didn't approve those permissions if the app requested it. 

Wow! I cannot wait until 2030 when all "Google Android"* iKnockoffs are running today's software! Not to mention companies like Samsung that refuse to patch security updates on their knockoff iPhones and knockoff iPads.

*See what he did there? Being carefully selective as he knows android is a fragmented dump.

cloudguy said:
    chasm said:

B) nearly all Android vulnerabilities are due to bypassing Google Play and sideloading apps - which means that Apple fans who call Android a monopoly and demand that governments need to it up would result in more security issues not less.  Do Apple fans want this in order for the increased security problems to force more customers who otherwise would be happy and satisfied by Android into iOS unwillingly?
    C) The open nature of Android makes accomplishing real security impossible. Google learned from this and has since made every other platform i.e. ChromeOS, Wear OS and Android TV very much closed down. You cannot so much as even obtain an image of ChromeOS to create a virtual machine or use with Bootcamp. As a result virtually no security issues - even the type that results in no end user exploits and are easily avoided like in Android - exist on ChromeOS and the others.
    D) if your core complaint is Google having Project Zero at all, well there was nothing preventing Apple from investing the massive resources and leadership that it took to create the best private cybersecurity research team in the world in Project Zero. You should bash Apple for not creating their own team instead of bashing Google for having this sort of initiative. Instead Apple is reduced to acqui-hiring someone that Google put in the hard work of identifying and training.

Drinking that delusion-ade aye?

"A) virtually no Android exploits actually impact real world end users"

Yeah tell that to the possibly 2 billion users who may be a victim of StageFright. A virus that potentially infected all knockoff iPhones and the media turned the other way while nit-picking at Apple and making crap up (remember the fake news articles about China implanting chips on iPhone? Funny how people tend to forget things they gave credibility to).

You're the same guy who thinks Android invented the iPhone! LOL !!!

But of course everyone is lying and only Apple haters tell the truth. Android has ZERO vulnerabilities and malware no matter what we've seen ourselves. I once helped my mom on her knockoff iPHone and that thing was INFESTED with ads. The lockscreen, during regular use, ads EVERYWHERE. She only buys knockoff iPhones for the same reason most iKnockoff users do: cheap.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Beats said:
    I think Google made this team to make real iPhones and real iPads look bad. Looks like it's backfiring. Google should take care of their own security holes before trying to patch others. Oh "but Open!" and "I don't need security updates!"

Drinking that delusion-ade aye?

"A) virtually no Android exploits actually impact real world end users"

Yeah tell that to the possibly 2 billion users who may be a victim of StageFright. A virus that potentially infected all knockoff iPhones and the media turned the other way while nit-picking at Apple and making crap up (remember the fake news articles about China implanting chips on iPhone? Funny how people tend to forget things they gave credibility to).
    Stagefright? You're aware that it harmed literally no Android smartphone ever before it was patched by Google 4 years ago? LOL.

But Stagefright was not entirely without purpose. It was what prompted Google to begin regular monthly security patches. Out of the FUD rose something good.   
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Glad to hear he’s starting the private sector.