Wireless CarPlay support expected in 2021 Honda Accord

Posted:
in General Discussion
Honda appears to be preparing its 2021 Accord range of sedan cars to have wireless CarPlay available to use, a feature that does away with the need to tether an iPhone to the infotainment system.

2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T

Shared in a tip to AppleInsider, a PDF version of the "Owner's Manual" labeled for the 2021 Accord details how to use the variety of features included in different variants of the car range. Searches of the manual indicate Honda intends to offer both Siri Eyes Free and Apple CarPlay to buyers of the model, though availability of the features may only be offered on select models in the range, or as a customization.

Pages describing how to get started with CarPlay in the vehicle include references to using the feature with a compatible iPhone via both wired and wireless avenues. Wired access will use the USB port within the center pocket of the dashboard, while the wireless version requires use of the car's Bluetooth system for the initial setup.

The manual also describes the use of the talk button on the steering wheel to trigger Siri, with a long-held press enabling Apple's digital assistant, while a second press deactivates it. Mentions are also made for Android Auto, which is similarly usable in wired and wireless configurations.

While the tip was made to AppleInsider anonymously, the URL used for the leak points to servers owned and operated by Honda itself, indicating the PDF to be genuine.

Honda has yet to officially announce its 2021 Accord models in the United States, but the existence of a web-accessible manual for the vehicle suggests the manufacturer may do so soon.

In September Honda made CarPlay a standard feature of its 2021 Passport SUV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Renault Twingo electric (ZE) is coming end of this year And new Dacia Duster, both with Android Auto and Carplay wireless
    steve_jobs
  • Reply 2 of 16
    My CarPlay experience in my 3-year old Honda has been so bad that I'm inclined to actually avoid Honda for my next car. For one thing, my iPhone's USB cable didn't work 50% of the time with my Honda, and the Honda dealership explained to me that I have to buy a higher quality cable, but they refused to sell me one that works or even tell me which brand/model of cable would actually work. So even if they've finally fixed it by going wireless, I'm still holding a grudge. I plan to wait for the first car from any manufacturer that comes with Apple's new carOS.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    My CarPlay experience in my 3-year old Honda has been so bad that I'm inclined to actually avoid Honda for my next car. For one thing, my iPhone's USB cable didn't work 50% of the time with my Honda, and the Honda dealership explained to me that I have to buy a higher quality cable, but they refused to sell me one that works or even tell me which brand/model of cable would actually work. So even if they've finally fixed it by going wireless, I'm still holding a grudge. I plan to wait for the first car from any manufacturer that comes with Apple's new carOS.
    I worked for a Honda dealer and there is a difference in cables. If you are not using the original Honda cable make sure it says iphone certified or iOS certified. There is a chip in the Apple cables that regulates power and other functions. The bootleg cheap cables are more trouble than they are worth. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 16
    genovelle said:
    I worked for a Honda dealer and there is a difference in cables. If you are not using the original Honda cable make sure it says iphone certified or iOS certified. There is a chip in the Apple cables that regulates power and other functions. The bootleg cheap cables are more trouble than they are worth. 
    Thanks for that tip. I was using the original iPhone cable. There was NO cable that came from Honda. My cable didn't have to be certified because it was an actual iPhone cable. I have never owned a third party cable.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    I updated my 2011 Ford Edge Sport to the latest Sync3 (Ford's Infotainment System) and have both Siri Eyes Free and by adding a Carplay2air https://carplay2air.com/ USB wireless adapter, I also have wireless Carplay. Carplay on the latest Ford Sync3 as well as using the Carplay2air adapter is rock solid.

Regarding the USB port in the autos, they have an Apple chip in it or something like that so as to validate/authorize Carplay in the infotainment systems (I had to replace the original USB port in the center console with the "Carplay" enabled USB port as part of the Sync3 upgrade to enable Apple Carplay). In Honda's case it sounds like they put it in the cable. Another "add-on" expense from the dealer.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 6 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    mobird said:
    In Honda's case it sounds like they put it in the cable.
    Honda never gave me a USB cable with my new Honda car. I used the Apple cable and that worked only intermittently. I tried to buy a cable from Honda but they said they didn't sell any.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    While CarPlay2Air is certainly an option, when I next go car-shopping Wireless CarPlay is going to be very high on my list of wants.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Typical Honda models: CarPlay is only on EX and higher trim levels and wireless CarPlay will highly likely only be on the most expensive Touring models since it requires a wireless charge pad to function as well.  Also, Honda stereos are garbage as far as quality.  The 2021 Nissan Rogue will also offer wireless CarPlay.  But to be honest, music always sounds better wired using USB, than using Bluetooth.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    mobird said:
    I updated my 2011 Ford Edge Sport to the latest Sync3 (Ford's Infotainment System) and have both Siri Eyes Free and by adding a Carplay2air https://carplay2air.com/ USB wireless adapter, I also have wireless Carplay. Carplay on the latest Ford Sync3 as well as using the Carplay2air adapter is rock solid.

Regarding the USB port in the autos, they have an Apple chip in it or something like that so as to validate/authorize Carplay in the infotainment systems (I had to replace the original USB port in the center console with the "Carplay" enabled USB port as part of the Sync3 upgrade to enable Apple Carplay). In Honda's case it sounds like they put it in the cable. Another "add-on" expense from the dealer.
    Is carolay2air Reliable and full function? Any problems with more than one iPhone?

the reason I ask is I just love my wireless carplay kenwood head unit in my old Mazda, but for our next main car it is unlikely we will be getting wireless carplay, and modern cars you can’t swap out the head unit like the old double din set ups. So I am quite focussed on picking a carplay2air unit up.  The sort of thing Apple should have made.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member

Typical Honda models: CarPlay is only on EX and higher trim levels and wireless CarPlay will highly likely only be on the most expensive Touring models since it requires a wireless charge pad to function as well.  Also, Honda stereos are garbage as far as quality.  The 2021 Nissan Rogue will also offer wireless CarPlay.  But to be honest, music always sounds better wired using USB, than using Bluetooth.  
    Umm, I believe wireless carplay uses Bluetooth to originally pair, then uses wifi for data. It needs a higher spec head unit with wifi to work. It sounds much better than bt, and you don’t have problems with dodgy USB cables and ports.

totally agree about Honda. A shadow of a once great company.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 11 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    entropys said:

Umm, I believe wireless carplay uses Bluetooth to originally pair, then uses wifi for data. It needs a higher spec head unit with wifi to work. It sounds much better than bt, and you don’t have problems with dodgy USB cables and ports.
    Yep, it’s like HomePod - BT to pair, wider bandwidth wifi for transmission. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I run into connectivity issues even with (2020) Honda’s wired non-CarPlay feature that sees your iPhone as an iPod. Restarting the phone seems to fix the issues every time. Honda’s online help pages for diagnosing all connectivity issues, CarPlay included, always begin with you restarting your phone. 

My theory is that Honda’s USB Host mode implementation is problematic or possibly compromised by specification uncertainty between different hosts and devices. There’s simply no other reason why they haven’t figured this stuff out after so many years of trying and still missing. This should be a no-brainer in 2020.  
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Typical Honda models: CarPlay is only on EX and higher trim levels and wireless CarPlay will highly likely only be on the most expensive Touring models since it requires a wireless charge pad to function as well.   
    Based on the owner's manual, it appears all trims of the 2021 Accord will support ACP and AA - including the base LX and Sport 1.5T. There is no longer a reference to the non-touchscreen audio system used on those two trims.

Wireless ACP does not require wireless charging in order to function.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    entropys said:

Correct.  I must say having experienced the wireless connection from a retro-fitted Pioneer Head in my Jeep Grand Cherokee I find the non-wireless Car Play in my Jaguar a PITA.  So, I would like to fit a wireless dongle to the Jag, has anyone had any good experience with such a device?
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Lisaaa said:
    Carlinkit say they have an apple sourced or approved chip set and it looks that way.
    Haha!