New HomePod mini will allow users to control Pandora with Siri

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Music lovers will soon be able to use Siri to control Pandora on the new HomePod mini, enabling them to play their favorite podcasts and music with voice commands.

New HomePod mini will allow users to control Pandora with Siri

Apple announced the new HomePod mini, a budget-friendly version of their full-featured HomePod at their October 13, "Hi, Speed" event. During the event, Apple emphasized how the new smart speaker will soon work with a myriad of third-party apps, including Pandora.

Pandora, a popular music streaming service, will be able o be controlled with Siri voice queries that could include commands like "Hey Siri, play some relaxing music on Pandora."

Users will need to have the latest version of the Pandora app on their iPhone or iPad to take advantage of the new feature. They will also need to connect Pandora directly with the HomePod, which can be done through Pandora's app.

Additionally, users will be able to select Pandora as their preferred music service on HomePod, which would allow for simple voice commands like "Hey Siri, play Modest Mouse."

Keep up with all the Apple news with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," -- or bookmark this link -- and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Mindblown that people still use Pandora. Sincerely, Someone that used to use Pandora 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I was hoping they would connect to Apple TV. 😕
    Scot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Happy to see Apple remove the scumbag companies from the presentation. How anti-competitive for Apple to promote other 3rd parties and integrate them into their products.

Cmbappl said:

Why wouldn't they?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    According to Apple‘s website they don’t work for home theater with Apple TV
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Cmbappl said:
    This is from Apple.com?

HomePod mini works effortlessly with your Apple devices.

Pick up an incoming call from your iPhone, listen to music on your Mac, or upgrade your TV experience by taking the sound from your Apple TV to the next level — they all connect to HomePod mini.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Disappointed that Spotify is left off.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 18
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    The way this article is written implies Pandora integration works *only* on the HomePod mini. Is that the case?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Isn’t the S5 the chip from the watch? Am I mistaken? If so then all these features should work the same on the full size HomePod right? I know they mentioned the UWB chip but is that in the mini or does it just have to be in your phone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jcs2305 said:
    Cmbappl said:
    This is from Apple.com?

Pick up an incoming call from your iPhone, listen to music on your Mac, or upgrade your TV experience by taking the sound from your Apple TV to the next level — they all connect to HomePod mini.

I think he is talking about the “Home theater with Apple TV 4K” which is available on HomePod but is not available to HomePod mini
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    vorpel said:

Left off how?  IOS 14 gave us the ability to pic a primary music service on Homepod. From what I know Spotify needs to add this functionality to it's app for this to work.

Open Home App Click on Home icon top left Click on Home Settings at the bottom of the menu In the People Section, click on you (the primary user if you are set up as a family) Wait a few seconds and then below "Show Me on Apple TV" a MEDIA section will appear. In the MEDIA section you will be able to pick your default music service.  I have it open as I am typing this but I don't use Spotify so I can't make the switch.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    elijahg said:
    The way this article is written implies Pandora integration works *only* on the HomePod mini. Is that the case?
    So far. Spotify has to add the integration.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Apple_Bar said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Cmbappl said:
    This is from Apple.com?

I think he is talking about the “Home theater with Apple TV 4K” which is available on HomePod but is not available to HomePod mini
    For clarity, here, the HomePod mini can still be used for stereo on the Apple TV 4K. It cannot be used for spatial audio. I suspect the reasoning is smaller speaker and microphone arrays on the mini.
    edited October 2020 MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    jcs2305 said:
    vorpel said:

Left off how?  IOS 14 gave us the ability to pic a primary music service on Homepod. From what I know Spotify needs to add this functionality to it's app for this to work.

Open Home App Click on Home icon top left Click on Home Settings at the bottom of the menu In the People Section, click on you (the primary user if you are set up as a family) Wait a few seconds and then below "Show Me on Apple TV" a MEDIA section will appear. In the MEDIA section you will be able to pick your default music service.  I have it open as I am typing this but I don't use Spotify so I can't make the switch.

Thanks for the info.  I never got the HomePod as I had setup Sonos with in ceiling speakers years ago, so the It would have been somewhat redundant.  I didn’t realize that it was a different app setup for Spotify (over what is on your phone).  This is very helpful!  I would like to replace the home automation tasks that the Echo is doing right now and the lower price of the new HomePod Mini is attractive.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    elijahg said:
    So far. Spotify has to add the integration.
    Do you think Spotify will be adding integration, considering that they think Apple is the devil? Will they integrate with the devil? Will they make their bed with the devil? (I was tempted to link to the video of Saddam with the devil from South Park, but decided that that was too rude.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Apple_Bar said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Cmbappl said:
    This is from Apple.com?

For clarity, here, the HomePod mini can still be used for stereo on the Apple TV 4K. It cannot be used for spatial audio. I suspect the reasoning is smaller speaker and microphone arrays on the mini.
    Stereo Pair: YES

Home Theater with Apple TV 4K: NO

• Reply 16 of 18
    Cmbappl said:
    They do of course.
  • Reply 17 of 18

Apple_Bar said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Cmbappl said:
    This is from Apple.com?

What are you referring to?

edit: found it, on The Loop:

“A new feature is coming for only for the HomePod that will add an immersive home theater experience when paired with an Apple TV 4K. To get the 5.1, 7.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos, you need to pair one or two HomePod speakers to the Apple TV. This feature requires the spatial sound support of HomePod, so it isn’t available for the HomePod mini.”
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    pujones1 said:
    Isn’t the S5 the chip from the watch? Am I mistaken? If so then all these features should work the same on the full size HomePod right? I know they mentioned the UWB chip but is that in the mini or does it just have to be in your phone?
    Not mistaken.  It is from the Watch.
    watto_cobra