Apple reduces price of accessories not included in iPhone 12 box

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    How .. is this any type of reduction. I'd argue by selling separately, it causes more. Unless there's a dramatic decline in number of headsets & power supplies purchased? Will almost gaurantee there will now be sudden, 'increased demand' for AirPods / Beats wireless.  :/
    It's perfectly fine to argue against Apple's estimates, but the only fair way to argue would be to do so with a comparable level of detail, access to data, and knowledge of the assumptions made by Apple to arrive at their estimates. Apple arrived at some quantifiable numbers and I'm sure, if pressed, they would reveal how they came up with the numbers they arrived at. Simply saying "I'd argue by selling separately, it causes more" isn't even the beginning of a challenge to Apple's estimates, it's a qualitative premise pulled from ... somewhere, and based on ... something. So what is your estimated value (of increased waste), and how did you arrive at that number?     

I don't have any major heartburn with Apple not including the EarPods and charger in the box. I understand the rationale. My only request for Apple would be that they update their online ordering system to include an inline section for selecting charging options (default no-cost option is None) and headphone options (default no-cost option is None) so it feels more like you're putting together a build-to-order bundle that makes it very clear that the base package is just the phone and cable. Regardless of the reasons behind excluding today what used to be included for free yesterday, some existing customers will be caught off guard by the change. For in-store purchases I would expect the sales agent to walk customers through the same process and ask them "Do you need a charger?" and "Do you need headphones?" and walk the customer through the options. This should be a matter-of-fact and unapologetic part of the ordering process. This is the new normal for buying iPhones. Most adults can handle the truth, no need to sugar coat it or dwell on the past.

fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 54
    The amount of hyperbole and strawman in these comments is ridiculous.

Basically the b/s proposition goes like this:
    - The buyer doesn't have a lightning-to-usb(type a) cord, AND
    - The buyer doesn't have any usb(type a) chargers, AND
    - The buyer can't just ask someone who does, AND
    - The buyer has never obtained a usb-c charger, or any device which has a usb-c port, AND
    - The buyer has never obtained any wireless charging solutions, AND
    - The buyer is gun-point forced to buy any of these items from Apple, AND
    - The buyer can casually buy an iPhone, but not afford these items from Apple ($19) or other vendors (~$5)

Give it a rest.
    ronnmbenz1962StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Yet the price reduction is completely absent when buying an iPhone. 
    Nuts. The 12 Pro I’m getting comes with double the storage of last year’s model that I’m replacing, for the same price. People like you complain about “losing” something like unused headphones, but you don’t praise for getting more features or specs at the same price. Funny how that goes. 
    edited October 2020 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 54

seankill said:
    Effectively Apple increased the price of a complete new iPhone by $19. Don't think they are doing you any favors. Sure I have bricks but they are all just 5W.......
    Many, maybe most customers will rightly consider that a "shake down" by a company they had always before been able to trust.
    Only if they’re complete idiots. I have a dozen unused chargers and cables, from all the devices we’ve upgraded and resold or traded in. Nothing is stopping you from using any of them, it’s still Lightning at the phone end, durr. 

I’m already building up USB-C chargers which ship with new iPads. Multiple chargers and cables, in the house. (Of note, the amazon cheapie cables fail to fast charge like my Apple ones do)
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Beats said:
    "Greedy Apple" up to their old tricks again reducing the price of accessories. 

Somehow having to spend $19 to now have to buy something that always been included and that should have been included with the USB-C cable & $1,000 phone does not seem like a reduced price.  It sounds more like a screw job.
    Only if your brain doesn’t work. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 54

seankill said:
    Effectively Apple increased the price of a complete new iPhone by $19. Don't think they are doing you any favors. Sure I have bricks but they are all just 5W.......
    Many, maybe most customers will rightly consider that a "shake down" by a company they had always before been able to trust.
    Only if they’re complete idiots. 
    Beats said:

Somehow having to spend $19 to now have to buy something that always been included and that should have been included with the USB-C cable & $1,000 phone does not seem like a reduced price.  It sounds more like a screw job.

Ding ding ding
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 54
    GG1 said:
    It is the price increase that DID NOT happen that you don't see.
    I believe Apple are taking a margin hit on the Pro models (with mmWave components), as they kept the pricing the same as last year's models. I don't know the price difference between the Intel 4G modem/parts vs. Qualcomm 5G modem/parts, but mmWave adds more parts (RF filters, antennas) that are not yet sold in commodity quantities. So yeah, Apple absorbed that cost on the Pro models.

There isn’t a single reason for modern iPhones to cost significantly more than the original model which was much more of a challenge in 2007 both conceptually and from an engineering standpoint. Apple simply shouldn’t have priced the X at $999 back in 2017 
  • Reply 48 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Beats said:

How so?
    Apple, for the last 3 years has been shipping pitiful, out of date chargers with their phones and now stopped shipping them at all -- forcing their customers to purchase a modern charger to go with the modern phone they just purchased.   Yep!  That's a screw job!
  • Reply 49 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The amount of hyperbole and strawman in these comments is ridiculous.

Basically the b/s proposition goes like this:
    - The buyer doesn't have a lightning-to-usb(type a) cord, AND
    - The buyer doesn't have any usb(type a) chargers, AND
    - The buyer can't just ask someone who does, AND
    - The buyer has never obtained a usb-c charger, or any device which has a usb-c port, AND
    - The buyer has never obtained any wireless charging solutions, AND
    - The buyer is gun-point forced to buy any of these items from Apple, AND
    - The buyer can casually buy an iPhone, but not afford these items from Apple ($19) or other vendors (~$5)

Give it a rest.

Nice excuses!  Almost as good as Apple's claim that its about recycling.
    But after all the excuses it boils down to Apple forcing their customers to buy their own modern charger to go with the modern phone they just bought .  That's cheap. 
  • Reply 50 of 54
    seankill said:

Plus, those old chargers only accept an older USB-A cable -- so they are completely obsolete.   Apple should have been replacing them way, way back when they released the iPhone 8!

Many customers will be shocked to open the box when find that not only is there no new charger to go with the upgraded, fast charging phone, but the cable Apple so kindly "gave them" won't work without them spending an extra $19 on a new charger.

If any customer comes home with a new phone and is surprised that they don’t have the charger or cable they need, then the store that sold it to them didn’t do their job properly! The seller has to know what is in the box, what is needed to use the product, and ask the customer if they have everything they need.

Personally I welcome this change, and would have gladly accepted it even without the price change, for exactly the reasons Apple gave.

You would think the manufacturer would know what was needed to make a phone work. 

You live in a dream world if you think a salesmen would endanger his sale by telling his customer that Apple got cheap and he'll have to buy a separate charger to charge his new $1,000 phone.
    Well, I work as a salesman at an Apple reseller, and part of the job is of course to make sure the customer has everything they need. And by not telling the customer that they might need a charger you just risk them having to return later, not too happy, and thus risk the long term relationship you want to build. Better to risk loosing a single sale, but I don’t think that risk is particularly high either. But maybe I think too much of people, or maybe we just have luck with the type of customers we have here.
    ronnrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 54
    How .. is this any type of reduction. I'd argue by selling separately, it causes more. Unless there's a dramatic decline in number of headsets & power supplies purchased? Will almost gaurantee there will now be sudden, 'increased demand' for AirPods / Beats wireless.  :/
    It is the same as stores that don't give you plastic bags. People don't take it for grant and can/will seek alternative.

Some may have multi-port adaptors like me, using for example 4-port Anker charger which can charge iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and MacBook at the same time. So I basically leave any adapters that come with the box inside the box until it is sold out as second hand, never to touch it. Same as headphone where I'm using AirPods or other brands and leave the default EarPods in the box. I think this is a good way. Only if Apple does offset the price (i.e. minus 2×$19), people will not complain at all. Apple made mistake addressing only environment and overlooked people's pricing perception and that ruins everything they are trying to do.
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Most vendors have raised the price significantly for 5G.  The iPhone 12pro I just placed an order for costs the same as previous model.  No increase in price.  I'll take the 5G over a power brick I'll never use because I have more than enough already.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 54

mike1 said:
    seankill said:

Plus, those old chargers only accept an older USB-A cable -- so they are completely obsolete.   Apple should have been replacing them way, way back when they released the iPhone 8!

Many customers will be shocked to open the box when find that not only is there no new charger to go with the upgraded, fast charging phone, but the cable Apple so kindly "gave them" won't work without them spending an extra $19 on a new charger.

How are they obsolete? The new phones still have Lightning connectors so all the USB A - Lightning cables will still work with whatever USB A chargers that are kicking around. I would agree with this being an issue if the phones now had USB C connectors.
    Currently all of Apple devices have no USB-A except iMac and Mac Pro. All of PCs and Notebooks currently sold have USB-C ports and begin to offer more and more of them and less and less of USB-A. All of cameras and smartphones currently sold also have USB-C by default even cheap Androids. So USB-A are there waiting to die sooner or later. Apple is always the first to introduce new technology and doesn't give a **** to make it backward compatible.
    watto_cobra