How to compare the sizes of the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, and i...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
It's one thing to read the dimensions of a new iPhone, but it's quite another to see them side by side. Here's a guide to the sizes of all the current iPhones -- plus the original iPhone SE for reference.

Apple's new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini
Apple's new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini

Apple quite rightly made a big deal of just how little the new iPhone 12 mini is. But knowing it's small, and even knowing that it's 131.5mm (5.18 inches) by 64.2mm (2.53 inches) doesn't give you a feel for what that will be like in your hand.

Little will, really, unless you got the entire iPhone range and tried them out in person. However, you do have an iPhone and now with this downloadable PDF guide, you can compare yours to the new models.

We have included the original 2016 iPhone SE for comparison, but otherwise this is the entire 2020 iPhone range -- as compared to the entire 2019 one. See just what the difference is between an iPhone 11 and an iPhone 12, for instance.

And see for yourself just how much bigger the iPhone 12 Pro Max is to the iPhone 11 Pro Max from last year.

Inside the PDF, you'll find full-size photographs of each model and you can print them out to compare. Download the embedded PDF below, and print it out whenever you need. The guide is specifically a visual reference to comparing the sizes, but you can also read the precise measurements right here:
Height (mm / inches) Width (mm / inchess)
iPhone 12 mini131.5 / 5.1864.2 / 2.53
iPhone 12146.7 / 5.7871.5 / 2.82
iPhone 12 Pro146.7 / 5.7871.5 / 2.82
iPhone 12 Pro Max160.8 / 6.3378.1 / 3.07
iPhone SE (2020)138.4 / 5.4567.3 / 2.65
iPhone 11150.9 / 5.9475.7 / 2.98
iPhone 11 Pro144 / 5.6771.4 / 2.81
iPhone 11 Pro Max158 / 6.2277.8 / 3.06
iPhone SE (2016)123.8 / 4.8758.6 / 2.31
When you print out the visual guide, do note that -- as Apple found out recently with its PDF size guide for the Solo Loop -- everyone's printer is different. To make sure that you know what you're seeing is the correct size, we've included a scale on every page. After you print the guide, measure the scale with a ruler to ensure accuracy.

2020 iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE Size Guide by Mike Wuerthele on Scribd

(function() { var scribd = document.createElement("script"); scribd.type = "text/javascript"; scribd.async = true; scribd.src = "https://www.scribd.com/javascripts/embed_code/inject.js"; var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(scribd, s); })();
dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Nice to see, that the iPhone 12 / 12 Pro is smaller compared to the iPhone 11 !
    F_Kent_D
  • Reply 2 of 13
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I have way too many sites that I’ve signed in to and many are impossible or difficult to change the passwords on them. Is there another way to get that size guide than Scribd? I don’t want any more accounts. 
    I’m reading on an iPad, and the Scribd content just appears embedded in the article (but not on the comments page) with no account required. On my 10.5” iPad Pro, the dimensions show up very close to actual size. If you have an iPad, you could try viewing with that. 
    NorwichGordy
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [not sure if my original comment got posted]

Nice to see someone at Apple has realized that not everyone wants to carry around something the size of a cafeteria tray in their pockets. Looks like I'll be picking up a Mini really soon...
    JWSCretrogusto
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Would have been nice to also see thicknesses and weight of the different model.  I looked it up for the SE: it's 22g lighter than the 12 mini and the 12 mini is 0.2mm thinner.  Man, on the one hand, I really want a more pocketable phone that can easily be used with one hand - on the other, my eyes are getting old and that 6.1" is looking tempting over my current 5.8" screen.  Since my days of wearing tight jeans is pretty much over, I'll likely give my eyes a break.
    rundhvid
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tjwolf said:
    Would have been nice to also see thicknesses and weight of the different model.  I looked it up for the SE: it's 22g lighter than the 12 mini and the 12 mini is 0.2mm thinner.  Man, on the one hand, I really want a more pocketable phone that can easily be used with one hand - on the other, my eyes are getting old and that 6.1" is looking tempting over my current 5.8" screen.  Since my days of wearing tight jeans is pretty much over, I'll likely give my eyes a break.
    What you're looking for is addressed in another piece.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Going to be a big transition for me. Thinking of “upgrading” from the 11 Pro Max to the 12 Mini. Been a long time since I used a phone that small. About 80% sure on the decision. Thinking 12 Mini 256GB in blue. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    tjwolf said:
    Would have been nice to also see thicknesses and weight of the different model.  I looked it up for the SE: it's 22g lighter than the 12 mini and the 12 mini is 0.2mm thinner...
    /quote

Your jeans would have to be extremely tight for that 0.2mm to make a difference!
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 8 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    When I go to that document on Scribd, I’m told I have to be a paying member at $9.99/month to download the size guide.  I created an account and signed in, but when I hit the button to download your guide, I hit a pay wall.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    I'm so disappointed the 12 Pro Max is even heavier than the 11 Pro Max. It's only 2-3 grams more, but the 11 PM is already so dang heavy--over half a pound. (The table of dimensions could use another column with the weight. And, no, I don't want to have to pull up multiple reports for this.)
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    roake said:
    When I go to that document on Scribd, I’m told I have to be a paying member at $9.99/month to download the size guide.  I created an account and signed in, but when I hit the button to download your guide, I hit a pay wall.
    It's set to be a free download. I'll address this again in a bit.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    roake said:
    It's set to be a free download. I'll address this again in a bit.
    Thank you.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Apple has a good comparison tool right on their site.  Pick three phones, going way back to the SE 2016 (or earlier IIRC), and you see every spec, especially physical dimensions.   

I thought the 12 Max Pro was going to be too big for me but a quick check shows me it is 0.10” taller than the 7 plus (although a bit heavier, half a pound!). 

I’m sold.  Price be damned.

• Reply 13 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Really handy in trying to decide, thank you.

only suggestion is to include a 6 plus, 7 plus and 8 plus size for comparison for us tardy upgraders! 

The SE of course is the 6,7 and 8 size.
    edited October 2020