Samsung mocks Apple for removing power adapters from iPhone boxes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    qwerty52 said:
    cloudguy said:
    Xed said:
    Samsung, of course, has a long history of trolling Apple for moves that it eventually copies. 

Every… fricken… time.

"All truthpasses through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
    1. Not every time AT ALL. As I stated above, Samsung never adopted the notch, never adopted Force Touch and the vast majority of their phones still offer headphone jacks.
    2. Not as many times as Apple has done the same with (say) the stylus, the phablet, LCD to OLED, wireless charging ... you name it. 
    3. Do not expect Samsung to copy the "portless iPhone" when it comes out either. USB-C is too important to give up on all models, and SD cards are too important to give up on midrange and cheap models. 

You are really funny!

Remember how the Samsung’s phones looked like, when the first iPhone  came out?
    Without the iPhone they should be still looking the same till now!
    Back in 2011, after the iPhone 4 was announced, Samsung even copied that design to create a television remote control.

qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 74
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    cloudguy said:
    Yawn. 

1. Need I remind people that Apple burst into public consciousness with their 1984 attack ad against IBM (and by extension Microsoft and Intel) in the first place?
    2. This is quite mild compared to Apple's years-long FUD driven "privacy! security!" advertisements and public statements with their recent commercial depicting people shouting credit card numbers and medical test results taking the cake. (Especially considering that while iOS may be secure the apps on it - Facebook, Twitter, TikTok etc. - are not, and that their "complying with local laws" makes the entire ad campaign outright false advertising since it doesn't have a "we protect your privacy so long as you stay outside China!" disclaimer).
    3. And as if Apple has never done this before. The stylus anyone? (Despite Apple and its fans various methods of backtracking and recontextualizing that infamous statement.) 
    4. If we were include the statements Apple fans - that Apple never disavowed - we can include: screens bigger than 4 inches, OLED, smart watches, mobile payments, wireless charging, CPUs with more than 2 cores, more than 1 GB of RAM, various types of multitasking, widgets, customizable home screens, app draws etc. All criticized by the Apple community as gaudy, poorly designed desperate gimmicks for years before Apple adopted them. Now that Apple has gotten a lot faster at adopting Samsung and Android tech, the criticism has basically stopped - very little mocking of foldable phones for example - because now everyone knows that Apple is going to adopt it if it sells.
    5. By the way ... Samsung never did and never will adopt the notch or anything resembling Face ID. (Which Apple is going to ditch in a couple of years.) And they only ditched the headphone jack in Galaxy Note and Galaxy S devices. Meaning that the vast majority of the phones that Samsung sells still has them
    Lol.  Unapologetic troll.

They DID adopt something resembling Face ID, but it could be fooled with a low-res photograph displayed on another phone.  Or maybe you mean they never adopted something like Face ID that actually worked.

edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    hentaiboy said:
    iqatedo said:

flydog said:
    Most of those Samsung chargers will eventually be used to power an iOS device. 
    Would you trust it?  :*
    Would you trust the Samsung OLED displays, NAND flash, and DRAM chips being used in the new iPhones?
    Samsung builds to a customer’s spec. If they skimp on that spec they will be penalised. So the quality they employ fo their own stuff may not be as high if they want to save money. 
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Well, come on! We all knew someone was gonna do it!

qwerty52mike1GG1lkruppTRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 74
    cloudguy said:
    Yawn. 

1. Need I remind people that Apple burst into public consciousness with their 1984 attack ad against IBM (and by extension Microsoft and Intel) in the first place?
    2. This is quite mild compared to Apple's years-long FUD driven "privacy! security!" advertisements and public statements with their recent commercial depicting people shouting credit card numbers and medical test results taking the cake. (Especially considering that while iOS may be secure the apps on it - Facebook, Twitter, TikTok etc. - are not, and that their "complying with local laws" makes the entire ad campaign outright false advertising since it doesn't have a "we protect your privacy so long as you stay outside China!" disclaimer).
    3. And as if Apple has never done this before. The stylus anyone? (Despite Apple and its fans various methods of backtracking and recontextualizing that infamous statement.) 
    4. If we were include the statements Apple fans - that Apple never disavowed - we can include: screens bigger than 4 inches, OLED, smart watches, mobile payments, wireless charging, CPUs with more than 2 cores, more than 1 GB of RAM, various types of multitasking, widgets, customizable home screens, app draws etc. All criticized by the Apple community as gaudy, poorly designed desperate gimmicks for years before Apple adopted them. Now that Apple has gotten a lot faster at adopting Samsung and Android tech, the criticism has basically stopped - very little mocking of foldable phones for example - because now everyone knows that Apple is going to adopt it if it sells.
    5. By the way ... Samsung never did and never will adopt the notch or anything resembling Face ID. (Which Apple is going to ditch in a couple of years.) And they only ditched the headphone jack in Galaxy Note and Galaxy S devices. Meaning that the vast majority of the phones that Samsung sells still has them
    My, my. You are quite the truth warrior, aren't you?
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 74
    This means that Samsung will drop the charger in a couple of years.
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 74
    This means that Samsung will drop the charger in a couple of years.

If not sooner.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Hahahahaha, why not, right???
  • Reply 49 of 74
    I put this on another thread, so please forgive the cross post --

I guess I need to reset my expectations, but the way I see it is that Apple took back $38 of value and all they gave me is virtue signalling for it, and here is how it played for me:

Tim:  We're going to have Nancy, our environmental VP, stand on the roof of Apple Park among the solar panels and tell you why you're not getting a USB-C power adapter.

{play uplifting music, and fly to Nancy)

Nancy:  Hello, Apple is doing something bold:  We're giving you a different power cable.  It's USB-C.  To make this better, we're not giving you an undersized power adapter, as we have in the past, to charge it.  We've also been so successful that this isn't your first iPhone, and you can continue to use those 2-3 year old headphones for another 2-3 years until you get your next iPhone, which won't have one either.  That value of those accessories is $38 at the Apple Store, if it's open in your area, but we're also not going to give you anything worth $38, and just put that money in our pocket.  If you are upset about this, you're a planet killing jerk, and nobody in the Apple World will think you're a victim here, and will probably be ridiculed.  Feel free to give us another $38 when you get your $1399 512GB iPhone Pro Max, if you want these planet destroying products that we're not including with the price.  We could have offered you a discount on airpods or a USB-C charger, but (smile) No.  Back to you, Tim.

(play music of angels singing, and fly to Tim)

Tim:  Thank you, Nancy for being bold.  Apple is being bold, and to compensate Nancy for her bold decision, we're giving her $37 for each iPhone sold, and 50% of the profit for each power adapter and headset sold with your iPhone purchase.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1hentaiboy
  • Reply 50 of 74
    MplsP said:
    As far as the argument that ‘everyone has one’ goes - well, all many people have is the underpowered 5W chargers because that’s all Apple ever provided.
    So? Those 5W chargers you deride have never failed me. How many Watts do you really need for the Apple remotes, watches and phones? A 5W charges all three of those very well. The watch is charge for a bit at night and then in the morning. Remote is only a few hours and then it is fully charged. None of my phones have ever failed to be fully charged by morning.  Sure if you are a heavy user you will need a higher wattage charger during the day, but to simply deride it as being underpowered is false. 
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Ah, yes………Samsung, the Donald J Trump of the tech sector!
    lkruppTRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 74
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    MplsP said:
    As far as the argument that ‘everyone has one’ goes - well, all many people have is the underpowered 5W chargers because that’s all Apple ever provided.
    So? Those 5W chargers you deride have never failed me. How many Watts do you really need for the Apple remotes, watches and phones? A 5W charges all three of those very well. The watch is charge for a bit at night and then in the morning. Remote is only a few hours and then it is fully charged. None of my phones have ever failed to be fully charged by morning.  Sure if you are a heavy user you will need a higher wattage charger during the day, but to simply deride it as being underpowered is false. 
    It is underpowered. Totally underpowered. 

It is over 10 years old and an embarrassment. That is why it is derided - and rightly so. 

Fast charging is a boon. 

Over the last 10 years mobile device use has skyrocketed along with the time spent on devices. 

Apple was already in a situation until relatively recently where even moderate users had to worry about not getting through the day (with the change in use habits that that involves too).

We had the iPhone 6 battery fiasco just to highlight how tight battery capacities were on iPhones. To the point where, when they finally upped capacities to decent levels, the news practically overshadowed everything else. That's how important battery technology is and that obviously involves charging.

Fast charging lets you top up at such high speed that even a few minutes will often be enough to save the day. 

Of course Apple sold its own 'fast' charger for those who didn't want the 5W offering but mostly, you had to pay for the privilege. 

The 5 watt charger was basically relegated to overnight charging at best, and collecting dust in a drawer at worst. 
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 53 of 74
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    MplsP said:

hentaiboy said:
    iqatedo said:

flydog said:
    Would you trust the Samsung OLED displays, NAND flash, and DRAM chips being used in the new iPhones?
    I have mixed feelings about it. Personally, I have enough chargers and cables to take care of my household plus a couple of extras just in case. Not getting a charger or cable doesn't really bother me. 

However, my MIL got an iPhone 11 a few months ago. It came with a charger and cable but what if she had waited until now and instead got an iPhone 12? People like her, who aren't following tech news, would expect to get a charger and be surprised if one wasn't included.

I can also see her being surprised at check-out time if there was a message saying something like "Don't forget the charger!!" with a link to add one for $20 and another for the cable, also at $20. How many people will be in a similar situation and think, "Screw paying that extra $40! I saw a cable and charger on Amazon that was $10 for both! I'm getting that." Should we expect to see more stories of people's new iPhones having issues because suddenly there are thousands of them being attached to cheap chargers and cables?

The cable is included.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 74
    mike1 said:
    MplsP said:

hentaiboy said:
    iqatedo said:

flydog said:
    I have mixed feelings about it. Personally, I have enough chargers and cables to take care of my household plus a couple of extras just in case. Not getting a charger or cable doesn't really bother me. 

However, my MIL got an iPhone 11 a few months ago. It came with a charger and cable but what if she had waited until now and instead got an iPhone 12? People like her, who aren't following tech news, would expect to get a charger and be surprised if one wasn't included.

I can also see her being surprised at check-out time if there was a message saying something like "Don't forget the charger!!" with a link to add one for $20 and another for the cable, also at $20. How many people will be in a similar situation and think, "Screw paying that extra $40! I saw a cable and charger on Amazon that was $10 for both! I'm getting that." Should we expect to see more stories of people's new iPhones having issues because suddenly there are thousands of them being attached to cheap chargers and cables?

The cable is included.
    Yeah, I know, I should have written “EarPods”. My point still stands.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yeh, for once Samsung is right.
    Apple went el cheapo on us.   For years they shipped obsolete underpowered chargers with their high end phones.   Now they don't even ship that crap.

They should have upped their game not lowered it.
    But, in their defense, they added some really nice upgrades to the iPhone 12's from the 11's and kept the price close (or is it the same?).   Perhaps skimping on the charger (and earbuds) helped them to pull that off.
    muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 56 of 74
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Yeh, for once Samsung is right.
    Apple went el cheapo on us.   For years they shipped obsolete underpowered chargers with their high end phones.   Now they don't even ship that crap.

They should have upped their game not lowered it.
    But, in their defense, they added some really nice upgrades to the iPhone 12's from the 11's and kept the price close (or is it the same?).   Perhaps skimping on the charger (and earbuds) helped them to pull that off.
    Your assumption that Apple dropped the cost of components just to increase profits isn't backed up by a single piece of evidence.

It's more likely that Apple dropped these wasteful components to reduce costs that could then be put into a different area of the device, like the Ceramic Shield, increasing the water and dust resistance to IP68, and many other aspects that are more important to the longevity and overall experience than being able to say "well we include this, this, this, and this in the box … that will probably never leave this box."

I also have no proof, but I also understand why a business would drop something like wired EarPods with poor audio quality when people are increasing not using them in favor for one of the many paid BT earphone options that they offer. This allows for less pressure in one area so they can shore up another area that wasn't able to move because the profit margin was already being pushed.

Have you even considered what 5G and mmWave cost for this device and how much R&D might be involved? I doubt you have.

As I said earlier, my only issue is that they didn't move to a USB-C charger years ago so people would likely have several at this point, or include a USB-A cable for a generation or two.
    GG1qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 74
    JonGJonG Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    It really amazes me that such a move draws so much care.  The simple facts are:

1. Advertising lies.  It always presents your product as the best, why else spend money on it?
    2. Comparisons to other products sometimes work and sometimes don't, it all depends on what people remember.
    3. Moves like removing a charger have two benefits:  a) It reduces costs for Apple, both direct and indirect; b) It burnishes Apple's image as a eco-conscious company by being able to talk about the carbon reduction that the move makes. Just because (b) is self-serving and affects (a) positively, doesn't mean that it isn't good for the environment and planet at-large.
    Vitriolic arguments that seem to anger people about something as inconsequential as this don't change anyone's mind about which phone they will buy, it seems it is just about bragging rights (which I like, but really see much more important things going on right now).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cloudguy said:
    Xed said:
    Samsung, of course, has a long history of trolling Apple for moves that it eventually copies. 

Every… fricken… time.

"All truthpasses through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
    1. Not every time AT ALL. As I stated above, Samsung never adopted the notch, never adopted Force Touch and the vast majority of their phones still offer headphone jacks.
    2. Not as many times as Apple has done the same with (say) the stylus, the phablet, LCD to OLED, wireless charging ... you name it. 
    3. Do not expect Samsung to copy the "portless iPhone" when it comes out either. USB-C is too important to give up on all models, and SD cards are too important to give up on midrange and cheap models. 
    Dude, 
    You’re wring on every level, dude. Apple never said they wouldn’t make these. They said only if these wouldn’t affect user experiences. Example:
    1. Big screen: 1-hand operation until the developed “Reachability” in iOS.
    2. Stylus: Apple hasn’t made stylus for any phone. It is total gimmick. It’s Yuck. 
    3. Wireless charging: all about the speed. They said they wouldn’t do that until the charge speed was close to plug-in charging. 
    Samsung is a shameless company and has been copying Apple for years. Btw, mSD slot is so ... 2016. It’s not secured and can’t store apps. Cloud is there for a reason. Get on with technology. Don’t get stuck with yesterday tech, mate!
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 74
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Beats said:
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    cloudguy said:
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    You are 100% right. Only Apple has the right to criticize other companies in advertising campaigns. But no one has the right to do so in return. Is that how it goes? 
    Give an example. Never seen this EVER.
    Luckily that was at the beginning of Yawny McSnoozeFest's dull and predictable diatribe so I did see that he mentioned an add that first aired back in 1983. It's not even close to the same caliber or creative level to demonstrate that your PC with a GUI and mouse is inherently unique compared to the competition, but it is, technically, an example.

A still irrelevant but more direct example from Apple was their Lemmings commercial that followed two years later. This is probably their worse ad (which I can't say for certain as I haven't seen every ad) because it attacks MS users, not the product.

The most relevant attack ad from Apple that I recall is from their successful I'm a Mac campaign. This was clever in that very few every had to mention MS by name. No other vendor was worth ever mentioning. It wasn't until the failure of Windows 7 that Apple finally addressed a competing brand by name.

That said, this is nothing compared to the simplistic, reactionary, and soon-to-be hypocritical ads from Samsung, which makes any point he's trying to make moot. I bet he'd claim Apple copied the notion of a smartphone, smartwatch, and using different display technologies from Samsung if you pressed him to grasp at more straws.

The closest example I've seen is when they made fun of Windows 7. I haven't seen that ONE ad before. 1984 didn't attack a specific product and "I'm a PC" didn't except that ONE Vista ad. Unless there's more examples then that's pretty sad to nitpick at that one time in the 90s when Apple mentioned a product.

He's obviously a hater to compare that ONE ad from the 90s to the constant barrage of anti-Apple propaganda from iKnockoff manufactures every day. I remember when SAmsung spent 14 billion on an anti-Apple campaign back in 2014, this is where the sheep came from.
    ?? Look I love Macs, however that whole campaign was Windows versus Mac. Personally I think they were extremely effective, and I believe them along with the success of the iPod, created a lot of switchers. Just because Apple doesn’t do that now, doesn’t mean they didn’t do it then.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 74
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    razorpit said:
    Beats said:
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    cloudguy said:
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    You are 100% right. Only Apple has the right to criticize other companies in advertising campaigns. But no one has the right to do so in return. Is that how it goes? 
    Give an example. Never seen this EVER.
    Luckily that was at the beginning of Yawny McSnoozeFest's dull and predictable diatribe so I did see that he mentioned an add that first aired back in 1983. It's not even close to the same caliber or creative level to demonstrate that your PC with a GUI and mouse is inherently unique compared to the competition, but it is, technically, an example.

A still irrelevant but more direct example from Apple was their Lemmings commercial that followed two years later. This is probably their worse ad (which I can't say for certain as I haven't seen every ad) because it attacks MS users, not the product.

The most relevant attack ad from Apple that I recall is from their successful I'm a Mac campaign. This was clever in that very few every had to mention MS by name. No other vendor was worth ever mentioning. It wasn't until the failure of Windows 7 that Apple finally addressed a competing brand by name.

That said, this is nothing compared to the simplistic, reactionary, and soon-to-be hypocritical ads from Samsung, which makes any point he's trying to make moot. I bet he'd claim Apple copied the notion of a smartphone, smartwatch, and using different display technologies from Samsung if you pressed him to grasp at more straws.

The closest example I've seen is when they made fun of Windows 7. I haven't seen that ONE ad before. 1984 didn't attack a specific product and "I'm a PC" didn't except that ONE Vista ad. Unless there's more examples then that's pretty sad to nitpick at that one time in the 90s when Apple mentioned a product.

He's obviously a hater to compare that ONE ad from the 90s to the constant barrage of anti-Apple propaganda from iKnockoff manufactures every day. I remember when SAmsung spent 14 billion on an anti-Apple campaign back in 2014, this is where the sheep came from.
    ?? Look I love Macs, however that whole campaign was Windows versus Mac. Personally I think they were extremely effective, and I believe them along with the success of the iPod, created a lot of switchers. Just because Apple doesn’t do that now, doesn’t mean they didn’t do it then.
    The Mac vs PC campaign (as opposed to a one-off ad) was genius IMO because it wasn't nasty in any way towards the 'PC'. You almost felt sorry for the guy but you liked him at the same time. Short, sweet, humourous and effective. One of my favourites was the one where Linux appeared.

As for other memorable ads, I think the intel ones (snail and toasting) were also very 
    effective.

razorpitmuthuk_vanalingam