Samsung mocks Apple for removing power adapters from iPhone boxes

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    fallenjt said:
    cloudguy said:
    Xed said:
    Samsung, of course, has a long history of trolling Apple for moves that it eventually copies. 

Every… fricken… time.

"All truthpasses through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
    1. Not every time AT ALL. As I stated above, Samsung never adopted the notch, never adopted Force Touch and the vast majority of their phones still offer headphone jacks.
    2. Not as many times as Apple has done the same with (say) the stylus, the phablet, LCD to OLED, wireless charging ... you name it. 
    3. Do not expect Samsung to copy the "portless iPhone" when it comes out either. USB-C is too important to give up on all models, and SD cards are too important to give up on midrange and cheap models. 
    2. Stylus: Apple hasn’t made stylus for any phone. It is total gimmick. It’s Yuck. 
    This one is so old and tired. Not only has Apple not made a stylus for a phone, it hasn’t made one at all. What Steve Jobs said was something along the lines of, “If a stylus is required to use the device then they failed.” This was in reference to how hard it was to accurately tap screens of the time with a finger. That was spot on. People used a stylus because they needed to hit small targets. Those silly little plastic pointers were always being lost and using the phone without one was a real pain in the ass.

People try to pretend Apple Pencil is a stylus, but it really isn’t. More importantly it isn’t at all necessary to have an Apple Pencil in order to use an iPad.
    GG1razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 74
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    fallenjt said:
    cloudguy said:
    Xed said:
    Samsung, of course, has a long history of trolling Apple for moves that it eventually copies. 

Every… fricken… time.

"All truthpasses through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
    1. Not every time AT ALL. As I stated above, Samsung never adopted the notch, never adopted Force Touch and the vast majority of their phones still offer headphone jacks.
    2. Not as many times as Apple has done the same with (say) the stylus, the phablet, LCD to OLED, wireless charging ... you name it. 
    3. Do not expect Samsung to copy the "portless iPhone" when it comes out either. USB-C is too important to give up on all models, and SD cards are too important to give up on midrange and cheap models. 
    2. Stylus: Apple hasn’t made stylus for any phone. It is total gimmick. It’s Yuck. 
    This one is so old and tired. Not only has Apple not made a stylus for a phone, it hasn’t made one at all. What Steve Jobs said was something along the lines of, “If a stylus is required to use the device then they failed.” This was in reference to how hard it was to accurately tap screens of the time with a finger. That was spot on. People used a stylus because they needed to hit small targets. Those silly little plastic pointers were always being lost and using the phone without one was a real pain in the ass.

People try to pretend Apple Pencil is a stylus, but it really isn’t. More importantly it isn’t at all necessary to have an Apple Pencil in order to use an iPad.
    Jobs's statement is still true today, but I'd love to see a digitizer in the iPhone so that Pencil is supported for those who want it. Adding the digitizer would mean the component cost is low enough and quantities high enough to make it feasible for every (Pro) iPhone going forward.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 74
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Xed said:

Just because you've seen it in a meme, doesn't mean they said it: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/11/18/truth-stages/
  • Reply 65 of 74
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    The Mac vs PC ads were terrific, poking fun at PC products. Sammi's attempts mostly came off as lame mirthless jabs that made Android users happy, and Apple people were supposed to be amused. Truth is they were like the loudmouth at a party that insults other guests under the same guise of humor and accuses them of being thin-skinned when they don't laugh or are rightfully offended.

At a party you can take the asshole aside and explain that if he's not civil, you'll punch him in the throat and sent him off. Not as easy to handle ad campaigns in the same manner. I did find one Sammi ad amusing, though it escapes me now, and this Included one is actually clever and amusing.

I didn't believe Apple would drop EarPods and the charger, and when it seemed likely, thought it a bad move without some overt compensation to the customer.

Including a coupon giving discount pricing at an Apple store for an Apple charger and EarPods seemed to me the best way to handle the exclusions. Much less bad press, and we could feel we're getting a fair shake, even though we might not be. Those wanting to save the environment could just dispose of the coupon/voucher in some ecological manner.

Yes, there are a tonne of compatible chargers out there in drawers and still in retail boxes on the closet shelf. Even a 5W charger will charge the latest phones via a Lightning cable. While some of you are so important you've just got to have hi-speed charging for your active life style (snort) I do see some value in fast charging, particularly for first responders, but others as well. Inductive charging isn't as efficient as direct wire, so I'm not running out and buying an Apple type-C charger anytime soon. Also not a fan of possibly introducing more heat to the phone battery. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the lifetime capacity of the battery.

Besides the huge cost savings this give Apple it's a sound ecological move though I still want EarPods and a charger with the phone. Did I mention Apple is saving a tonne of money? Metric tonnes actually, in shipping. I'm interested in a 12 mini, and would have liked to see the MSRP dropped by $100.

I'll wait a bit and see how it shakes out. Maybe there'll be a 12s mini with a couple things this doesn't have that I'd like. Wait'll next year! :smiley: 
    GeorgeBMacFidonet127muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 66 of 74
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Of course the other benefit of removing the accessories is the smaller packaging which means more phones per container = smaller carbon footprint cheaper shipping (more profit for Apple).
  • Reply 67 of 74
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Fast charging degrades battery life. One trade off for another.
    Just charging degrades battery life and there are some tradeoffs but fast charging has proven to be well suited to everyday charging habits even when charging in a haphazard manner.

To the point that a few years ago my cheap fast charging (out if the box) Honor 7 completely whipped my wife's iPhone 6 which needed a battery replacement while the Honor trudged on until I upgraded. 

Since then, with technologies like Supercharge, you could argue that some fast charging implementations are superior to what Apple has been using for many years out of the box. Sensors inside the charger, cable and phone to ensure all components fully understand each other , safety gateways and precision monitoring of heat, coupled with battery technology which actually keeps heat under control. Voltage control etc.

We are now seeing similar developments with wireless charging (and of course, reverse wireless charging). 

There may even be a plan to use lasers to charge devices wirelessly. 
  • Reply 68 of 74
    hentaiboy said:
    iqatedo said:

flydog said:
    Most of those Samsung chargers will eventually be used to power an iOS device. 
    Would you trust it?  :*
    Would you trust the Samsung OLED displays, NAND flash, and DRAM chips being used in the new iPhones?
    Yes - they are made to Apple's specifications, when included in an iPhone.
  • Reply 69 of 74

MplsP said:

hentaiboy said:
    iqatedo said:

flydog said:
    Would you trust the Samsung OLED displays, NAND flash, and DRAM chips being used in the new iPhones?
    As far as the argument that ‘everyone has one’ goes - well, all many people have is the underpowered 5W chargers because that’s all Apple ever provided.
    I can also see her being surprised at check-out time if there was a message saying something like "Don't forget the charger!!" with a link to add one for $20 and another for the cable, also at $20. 
    Nah - Apple includes a USB-C -> Lightening cable in the box (or did you miss that?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 74
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    cloudguy said:
    Xed said:

Every… fricken… time.

Are you sure about that?
    XedrazorpitGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 74
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    avon b7 said:
    razorpit said:
    Beats said:
    Xed said:
    Beats said:
    cloudguy said:
    Children. Embarrassing. 
    You are 100% right. Only Apple has the right to criticize other companies in advertising campaigns. But no one has the right to do so in return. Is that how it goes? 
    Give an example. Never seen this EVER.
    Luckily that was at the beginning of Yawny McSnoozeFest's dull and predictable diatribe so I did see that he mentioned an add that first aired back in 1983. It's not even close to the same caliber or creative level to demonstrate that your PC with a GUI and mouse is inherently unique compared to the competition, but it is, technically, an example.

A still irrelevant but more direct example from Apple was their Lemmings commercial that followed two years later. This is probably their worse ad (which I can't say for certain as I haven't seen every ad) because it attacks MS users, not the product.

The most relevant attack ad from Apple that I recall is from their successful I'm a Mac campaign. This was clever in that very few every had to mention MS by name. No other vendor was worth ever mentioning. It wasn't until the failure of Windows 7 that Apple finally addressed a competing brand by name.

That said, this is nothing compared to the simplistic, reactionary, and soon-to-be hypocritical ads from Samsung, which makes any point he's trying to make moot. I bet he'd claim Apple copied the notion of a smartphone, smartwatch, and using different display technologies from Samsung if you pressed him to grasp at more straws.

The closest example I've seen is when they made fun of Windows 7. I haven't seen that ONE ad before. 1984 didn't attack a specific product and "I'm a PC" didn't except that ONE Vista ad. Unless there's more examples then that's pretty sad to nitpick at that one time in the 90s when Apple mentioned a product.

He's obviously a hater to compare that ONE ad from the 90s to the constant barrage of anti-Apple propaganda from iKnockoff manufactures every day. I remember when SAmsung spent 14 billion on an anti-Apple campaign back in 2014, this is where the sheep came from.
    ?? Look I love Macs, however that whole campaign was Windows versus Mac. Personally I think they were extremely effective, and I believe them along with the success of the iPod, created a lot of switchers. Just because Apple doesn’t do that now, doesn’t mean they didn’t do it then.
    The Mac vs PC campaign (as opposed to a one-off ad) was genius IMO because it wasn't nasty in any way towards the 'PC'. You almost felt sorry for the guy but you liked him at the same time. Short, sweet, humourous and effective. One of my favourites was the one where Linux appeared.

As for other memorable ads, I think the intel ones (snail and toasting) were also very 
    effective.

Don’t know if it’s true but I remember reading that people were starting to feel bad for the PC (Hodgman) and angst towards the Mac (Long). 😂

I could see that.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    hentaiboy said:
    iqatedo said:

flydog said:
    Good point but in my (unsubstantiable) defence, the comment was meant in part a 'light-hearted' manner and in part a query for the quorum.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 74
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Xed said:
    I know this is a decisive change today, but I think it's several years overdue. The only change I'd make is to either a) have included a USB-C cable and PSU at couple years back or b) include both cables today since I'm sure that USB-C PSUs aren't yet that commonplace nor understood by the public at large. It sure would be great if Apple let me recycle my drawer of old Apple PSUs for a little bit of store credit.
    Amen.  I recently purged a bunch of old iPhone boxes and checked them before recycling - ended up with a pile of those horrible headphones (if you like them great - they absolutely suck for my ears). 

I think they could have included a voucher you could trade in for one if you wanted it still - that would help with the ewaste issue but let them not get attacked for being a cheapskate.  

If they can figure out how to deal with sixteen fixed size watch bands and the returns until people figure out the right one, they could cough up a charger on demand for the few who really want them.