First Apple silicon Mac could debut on Nov. 17

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2020
Apple is reportedly readying a special event for November that will deliver word of the company's first Apple silicon Macs, according to prolific leaker Jon Prosser.

MacBook

Without citing sources, Prosser on Thursday said the upcoming special event will concentrate on "ARM Mac" devices, more commonly known as Apple silicon Macs.

"To confirm, there IS a November ARM Mac event," Prosser said in a tweet. "I'm hearing November 17th."

The post seconds predictions first aired by Bloomberg last week. That report claimed Apple plans to unveil its first Apple silicon Mac alongside "other products" at an event in November, suggesting the computer is to be joined by refreshes to existing Intel-based lines. Apple previously confirmed that it would continue to rely on Intel processors as it transitions to its own chips.

It remains unclear as to which Mac model will be first to get the Apple silicon treatment. Rumors in June claimed Apple plans to revive the 12-inch MacBook with an "A14X" processor. A report from the China Times in August said the machine will boast a custom GPU, USB-C connectivity, weigh less than 1kg and net between 15 and 20 hours of battery life. Cellular 5G connectivity is also rumored for integration.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a solid track record in predicting Apple product launches, in July presented a timeline that pegged both a 13.3-inch MacBook Pro and revamped MacBook Air to take on Apple's custom chips in the fourth quarter of 2020. Those are expected to be followed by 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models and an all-new form factor device in the second or third quarter of 2021, Kuo said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    PSA:
    If anyone cares, the (Product)Red watch bands are available now. The Braided Solo Loop is already pushed back to an early-mid December delivery, but the Solo Loop is showing a 1-2 week window. 
    Beatsapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    designr said:
    I'd bet on a MacBook Pro as the first.

The first round of customers for Apple Silicon Macs seem likely to be developers. A new MBP would be a good start here. Plus they can likely hide any increase in BOM cost more easily in a higher cost machine. They can also show off the power they can do with early AS chips without doing a full Mac Pro or iMac just yet.

Seems like a nice middle ground between consumer and high-end pro.

I think they’ll go for the lower end machines first.  Consumers are less concerned with what’s running inside the machines. Developers will need to see stuff like Docker running reliably.  I’m just guessing though. 
    tmaycommentzillaiconaughtdewmeMplsPrazorpitJinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Rayz2016 said:
    designr said:

The first round of customers for Apple Silicon Macs seem likely to be developers. A new MBP would be a good start here. Plus they can likely hide any increase in BOM cost more easily in a higher cost machine. They can also show off the power they can do with early AS chips without doing a full Mac Pro or iMac just yet.

I think they’ll go for the lower end machines first.  Consumers are less concerned with what’s running inside the machines. Developers will need to see stuff like Docker running reliably.  I’m just guessing though. 
    Crazy long battery life combined with performance that exceeds the current models even when running x86 will likely be the selling point. Mass adoption is the goal, then developers will not be able to resist.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Rayz2016 said:
    designr said:

Crazy long battery life combined with performance that exceeds the current models even when running x86 will likely be the selling point. Mass adoption is the goal, then developers will not be able to resist.
    Developers don’t need convincing. This transition is going to happen, and they’ll have to jump aboard to keep their software relevant and transition gradually.
    Plus I think there are many professionals using the MacBook Pro, but not for coding but creative tasks like video editing or 3D modeling.

I’m personally betting on Apple focusing on releasing the Apple Silicon MacBook first, because the requirements of a consumer are closer to the iPad users, and the difference between the iPad silicon and laptop silicon is likely a maller.

I am personally most interested in their GPU performance. For a Pro machine they’ll have to convince users it offers more than current discrete GPU solutions. 
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Rayz2016 said:
    designr said:

I wouldn't bet on long battery life. Not enough people want it to warrant SKUs with them. OEMs have been able to make long runtime machines for decades. It's easy to do as it just involves using higher capacity batteries. Instead, laptops have been driven down in thinness and weight. A MBP13 that is say 4 lb could be made with 20 hr runtimes. Not enough people want that over a 3 lb device with 10 hrs runtime. The same has been true with phones, something that is used a lot more throughout the day than a laptop.

So, about 12 hrs runtime, cool and quiet running, instant on/off, hopefully cellular, with great performance, yes. 20 hr battery life? Probably not.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Only to be sold on select markets, since not all customers understand the underlying semiconductor processes of Apple silicon.

Still waiting for the HomePods in [English-speaking] Sweden.
     :p 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 28
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    designr said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    designr said:

I think the issue early on might be availability of 3rd party software products. But maybe they're already there though and that will be announced at the same time.
    As far as I can tell, existing Mac OS software will run on it.  While the underlying processor is different, the operating system is the same from a third-party programs perspective.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    designr said:

As a developer I would want a "real," as in consumer available for sale (AFS) Apple Silicon version of the Mac mini.

First of all, it seems like this would be the most generic and least "sealed up" flavor of the hardware since it has to work with conventional peripherals using conventional interfaces and standard protocols. The MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac can employ some levels of non-standard interfaces between some of their built-in components because it's all sealed up in a box that Apple has total control over.

Secondly, if you're on a fast track to getting your software on Apple Silicon hardware you've already obtained the current Mac mini based Apple Silicon prototype dev units. Replicating your dev environment from the prototype Mac mini to the AFS Mac mini is a much closer match and will give you a somewhat better feeling that any behavioral and performance differences seen between the two Mac mini systems is attributable to your software. It's arguably a better Apples-to-Apples comparison than say a Mac mini to MacBook comparison.

Devs want to minimize as many variables as they can, at least early in the dev process. They'll eventually have to test on every Apple hardware platform, but getting to having at least one stable reference platform for evaluating deltas in their software is a huge first step and a reassuring starting point. Whether Apple can accommodate them in this way remains to be seen, but devs will take whatever they can get and make the best of it.
    edited October 2020 hentaiboyseanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    “All-new form factor device”

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    From TechPowerUp Article on a Hacintosh using the new Ryzen 9 5950X

https://www.techpowerup.com/273426/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-16-core-zen-3-processor-overclocked-to-6-ghz-and-geekbenched

This is without any Zen optimizations running on Apple Hardware with the latest Catalina, using an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X engineering sample.

Any questions? This is why Apple should have dumped Intel, gone AMD as it matured Apple Silicon for a few more years at least.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 28
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Personally I want a higher end non-Pro iMac or mythical non-Pro Mac tower or a mini equal to an iMac.  My 2014 MBP will cover me a long time for any mobile needs I have (infrequent) and next year once we move to our  new home I'll need a new machine as my train room will be separate from my office and the Intel based iMac will go to the train room. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member

https://www.techpowerup.com/273426/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-16-core-zen-3-processor-overclocked-to-6-ghz-and-geekbenched

This is without any Zen optimizations running on Apple Hardware with the latest Catalina, using an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X engineering sample.

Any questions? This is why Apple should have dumped Intel, gone AMD as it matured Apple Silicon for a few more years at least.

A pre-production, overclocked desktop CPU is almost certainly not anything Apple will be concerning themselves with for the first round of ASi Macs. Even if they do release a lower-end iMac, that has never been a monster. It is a relatively inexpensive office machine. I would be very surprised if they release a Mac Pro or iMac Pro equivalent with the first release.
    thtdewmewatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 13 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

i don’t think a lot of people understand that beating Intel based hardware is easy.  The real task for Apple will be competing against high performance AND based hardware in 2021.   

Personally I don’t see Apple having a problem here.   The A Series is already pretty good design to grow from.   Simple things like clock rate increases and larger caches will only improve the base hardware.  There are many unanswered questions though such as does Apple addd SMT or blow out the number of cores available.  Also the area dedicated to Neural Engine indicates to me that they will quickly flip the common performance metrics over.  That is general CPU cores may not have a big future at Apple.  
    GG1designr
  • Reply 14 of 28
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    wizard69 said:

i don’t think a lot of people understand that beating Intel based hardware is easy.  The real task for Apple will be competing against high performance AND based hardware in 2021.   

Personally I don’t see Apple having a problem here.   The A Series is already pretty good design to grow from.   Simple things like clock rate increases and larger caches will only improve the base hardware.  There are many unanswered questions though such as does Apple addd SMT or blow out the number of cores available.  Also the area dedicated to Neural Engine indicates to me that they will quickly flip the common performance metrics over.  That is general CPU cores may not have a big future at Apple.  
    I agree. Apple did say they’re developing a family of SoC’s (keyword) for the Mac. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    Even though I own a MacBook Pro 16" with decked out specs, I would love a MacBook Air with just 128 GBs of storage and 16 GBs of memory for basically email, web browsing and other casual tasks and leave my 16" for all my beefy creative projects which is pretty much what I use my 2015 MacBook Pro for lol
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Out of AirPods Studio, AirTags, Apple Silicon Macs and possibly AppleTV; the most important is Apple Silicon MACs announcement. Lot is riding on this as It will give a glimpse into the future direction of MAC performance. In fact PC industry will be watching.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I don't care what it's called - I just want a replacement for my 2015 MacBook Air that has at least a 13" retina screen, at least 16 GB of RAM and is closer to the $1000 end of the price spectrum vs. the $3000 end  :p

I don't expect Apple Silicon Macs to be less expensive either.  I hope I'm wrong and would enjoy being pleasantly surprised, but I suspect i may end up with more more Intel based Mac if my suspicions prove true.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I have a hard time believing a Nov 17 announcement. Apple is very careful not to release new product information until it is ready to ship something that will replace existing products for obvious reasons. Announcing replacement hardware right before the lucrative holiday season makes little sense.

Arguably Apple Silicon is less of a threat to do this, but it would still have an effect. Sure - they aren't "announcing" release of new hardware, perhaps just "giving an update" but Macs are long lived devices (I'm typing this on a 2009 iMac that works just fine.) While everyone knows this is coming, knowing the timeline make people more comfortable extending their purchases, something Apple wishes to avoid. They would like customers to buy now (Intel) and then buy again later (Apple) rather than just the latter.

It seems to me the primary advantage of Apple Silicon is the power advantages, and that would seem to indicate that MacBooks would certainly be up first. IIRC from WWDC though, Apple released Apple Silicon based MacMinis to developers, so there has to be a production facility for that model already in place - albeit one that likely has a limited, but scalable, production capability.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

docno42 said:
    I don't care what it's called - I just want a replacement for my 2015 MacBook Air that has at least a 13" retina screen, at least 16 GB of RAM and is closer to the $1000 end of the price spectrum vs. the $3000 end  :p

I don't expect Apple Silicon Macs to be less expensive either.  I hope I'm wrong and would enjoy being pleasantly surprised, but I suspect i may end up with more more Intel based Mac if my suspicions prove true.
    I don't need the advantages that Apple Silicon macs seem to offer. YMMV. It will make many intel macs price drop, and I'm all for that. New, old stock may become very compelling, as will refurbs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    I’m personally betting on Apple focusing on releasing the Apple Silicon MacBook first, because the requirements of a consumer are closer to the iPad users .....
    I too believe Apple should introduce Apple Si in a consumer Mac first. Pros use a wide variety of third-party software, while most consumers live their life within the Apple ecosystem. Apple’s first party apps will be highly optimized for Apple Si and showcase it’s capability in the best possible way. This will also make the transition smoother, and provide a much better user experience. 
    watto_cobra