Apple begins taking pre-orders for iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
The first two models of Apple's new iPhone 12 range have now started pre-orders, with shipping due to start from October 23.

Apple's iPhone 12 Pro is one of the first models to be available for pre-order
Apple's iPhone 12 Pro is one of the first models to be available for pre-order

Apple's splitting of pre-orders for the iPhone 12 range into two separate dates has begun with the iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 Pro. Both are now available for ordering, and at least the initial buyers will get their phones in one week's time, on October 23.

Pre-orders for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro began at 05:00 PT on October 16. As the pre-ordering is done via the online Apple Store, there was no geographic time difference. Customers in the UK and Australia were able to order from exactly the same moment -- 13:00 BST, and 23:00 AEST.

The remaining two models in the new range will not enter pre-orders for another three weeks. Customers will be able to order both the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and the iPhone 12 mini, from November 6.

At that same time, November 6, Apple will also begin taking pre-orders for the new HomePod mini.

Apple regularly sells out quickly, and users soon see shipping times slip for all devices. But initial purchasers of the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the iPhone 12 mini should get their phones on November 13.

The HomePod mini will start arriving later, on November 16.

Check out the latest iPhone 12 deals in our pre-order roundup. And be sure to bookmark the AppleInsider HomePod Price Guide for upcoming deals on the HomePod mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I got in at 7:02 and placed my order without a hitch. I used the Apple Store app.

• Reply 2 of 40
    iPhone Pro, blue, 128GB. Seamless process: prepped order last nite, completed a minute after the hour. 

I’m on AT&T, and selected to have it activated, but using Apple Card payments. AT&T still charges a $30 “upgrade fee” which I do not like. Not sure if you can avoid this by selecting no carrier (unlocked, no sim) and activating it later, or if they’d still charge you the same fee but later. 

Also picked up a MagSafe case and wallet to try out. Case comes in next week but the wallets are delayed until mid November. 
    edited October 2020 jahbladeBeatsRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 40
    The prep process makes for a quick and painless order. Took less than a minute and my blue Pro 256 will be here next Friday. First time to get an iPhone on the first day. 
  • Reply 4 of 40
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    7omr said:
    The prep process makes for a quick and painless order. Took less than a minute and my blue Pro 256 will be here next Friday. First time to get an iPhone on the first day. 
    Sounds like the Pacific Blue Pro option is the runaway favorite of the preorder set!
    (I ordered the exact same thing)
    mwhitekaitain4boxcatcherjahblade7omr
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Just got my SIM free 12 Pro 256GB Graphite using the Apple Store app and got Oct 23rd delivery. Store didn’t open until about 5 minutes after. Kept force quitting the app on iPad and reopening until store opened. Had phone saved as a favorite since yesterday.  Got into the store at about 5:04 AM. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Placed my order for Pacific Blue 512GB 12 Pro.   Wasn't trouble free experience though.  Tried both the Apple Store app and the web page.  Neither was available until about 6 minutes past the hour.  Eventually used the Apple Store app.  Transaction failed first time, before I even got to the payment section.  Had to try again.  Eventually got to the part where you pay.  Paid with ApplePay, but it took about 4 attempts before it went through.  I'm sure the store is getting pounded with orders, but still... not the best experience. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 7 of 40
    used the iphone apple store app which didn’t let me in until about 7:05 am. ordered a product red 128gb iphone 12 and the process took about 20 minutes due to constant “try again later” errors during the add to bag and apple pay stages. 
  • Reply 8 of 40
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    bageljoey said:
    7omr said:
    Sounds like the Pacific Blue Pro option is the runaway favorite of the preorder set!
    (I ordered the exact same thing)

So did I for my daughter.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Did preorder prep but the app forgot. Didn’t relaunch until 7:05, had to redo the entire thing, got to pay screen and started getting ‘error try again later’. Constantly. Reset the app and had to rebuild the entire process. Twice. Then the app says I have 3 phones in my bag. Took forever to get it to take the deletions. Then it deleted all three. Same thing happened again. Finally at 7:28 it takes my order for one phone and not the MagSafe I wanted but was afraid to choose in case it was causing issues. At that point I had to pay tax and shipping of $109 and now despite being here right from the start my paid shipping is only estimated for Oct 31-Nov 4. So mad at Apple for this abysmal experience. 
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 10 of 40
    EVH237 said:
    Did preorder prep but the app forgot. Didn’t relaunch until 7:05, had to redo the entire thing, got to pay screen and started getting ‘error try again later’. Constantly. Reset the app and had to rebuild the entire process. Twice. Then the app says I have 3 phones in my bag. Took forever to get it to take the deletions. Then it deleted all three. Same thing happened again. Finally at 7:28 it takes my order for one phone and not the MagSafe I wanted but was afraid to choose in case it was causing issues. At that point I had to pay tax and shipping of $109 and now despite being here right from the start my paid shipping is only estimated for Oct 31-Nov 4. So mad at Apple for this abysmal experience. 
    If you saved the phone selection as a favorite item by tapping the heart icon on the upper right corner, then your favorites appear under the For You section in the Store app.  Sorry you had difficulty, but it was very smooth for me once the store opened at about 5:05 AM. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 11 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Ordered my 12Pro in Blue. Transaction bogged down at every step. When all was done, I had a delivery date of 10/30 - 11/3.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    iPhone Pro, blue, 128GB. Seamless process: prepped order last nite, completed a minute after the hour. 

I’m on AT&T, and selected to have it activated, but using Apple Card payments. AT&T still charges a $30 “upgrade fee” which I do not like. Not sure if you can avoid this by selecting no carrier (unlocked, no sim) and activating it later, or if they’d still charge you the same fee but later. 

Also picked up a MagSafe case and wallet to try out. Case comes in next week but the wallets are delayed until mid November. 
    I hate this too. No. They'll nail you for the $30, when you do activate it. It'll be a charge on your bill.
    Same phone for me.I did it through the AT&T installment plan anyway because the $800 credit means I am only paying $6.60/month for the phone after trading in my X.

• Reply 13 of 40
    Correction: 
    In Australia, it was 11pm AEDT and 10pm AEST.
    AEDT is Australian Eastern Daylight Time for the eastern states that are on Daylight Savings. (NSW, VIC, TAS, ACT)
    They are one hour ahead of AEST which is Australian Eastern Standard Time for the eastern state not on Daylight Savings. (QLD)

And just for anyone interested, because the US will end daylight savings soon, the next pre-order times in Australia (for the iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro Max, and HomePod Mini) will be one hour different:
    AEDT: 1200 AM on Nov 7th and 
    AEST: 1100 PM on Nov 6th. 
  • Reply 14 of 40
    The blue looks beautiful. I'm waiting for the Mini.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Keep in mind that 12 and 12 Mini blue is different the the Pro blue.

douglas baileyjahblade
  • Reply 16 of 40
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    By 8:52 AM the delivery of an unlocked blue Pro 128gb was delayed to November 6-13th. 
  • Reply 17 of 40
    mike1 said:

I hate this too. No. They'll nail you for the $30, when you do activate it. It'll be a charge on your bill.
    Same phone for me.I did it through the AT&T installment plan anyway because the $800 credit means I am only paying $6.60/month for the phone after trading in my X.

But you also pay AT&Ts high service charges too for voice and data.  Pretty lousy for any carrier to charge an activation fee when you are already a customer.  That’s why I dumped them and only pay $45/month for unlimited with Spectrum Mobile, which uses Verizon’s network.  How did you get $800 credit for an iPhone X?  Was that an incentive to be locked in for 2-3 years?
  • Reply 18 of 40
    mike1 said:
    Keep in mind that 12 and 12 Mini blue is different the the Pro blue.

Cheers. Good point. Turns out I hadn't even noticed the Pro's Pacific Blue! This year I'm upgrading from and 11 Pro to a 12 Mini. :)
  • Reply 19 of 40
    mike1 said:

But you also pay AT&Ts high service charges too for voice and data.  Pretty lousy for any carrier to charge an activation fee when you are already a customer.  That’s why I dumped them and only pay $45/month for unlimited with Spectrum Mobile, which uses Verizon’s network.  How did you get $800 credit for an iPhone X?  Was that an incentive to be locked in for 2-3 years?

The new Unlimited plans are as reasonable as anything else I've seen. With discounts, I'm paying $35/mo. per line for the Elite plan on three lines and $30/mo. on two others, An improvement for me from my previous plan as I now get a personal hotspot which I never had before and it is a bit less per month.

Click through the AT&T offer on the Apple page. Any phone that has a trade in value of $95 or more gets you $800 in monthly bill credits effectively making the phone $6.64/month. Yes, I will be locked in for 30 months.
    bageljoey
  • Reply 20 of 40
    mike1 said:
    mike1 said:

The new Unlimited plans are as reasonable as anything else I've seen. With discounts, I'm paying $35/mo. per line for the Elite plan on three lines and $30/mo. on two others, An improvement for me from my previous plan as I now get a personal hotspot which I never had before and it is a bit less per month.

Click through the AT&T offer on the Apple page. Any phone that has a trade in value of $95 or more gets you $800 in monthly bill credits effectively making the phone $6.64/month. Yes, I will be locked in for 30 months.
    Interesting to know.  Are the other discounts because you have other services through them, like TV?  When we had AT&T two years ago, they were charging about $60 a month per phone, plus all their other so called fees and taxes.  Their TV service and internet service is abysmal compared to cable for internet, so I wasn’t doing any bundled discounts through them.  But if the service works well for you, at least you aren’t getting reamed on the wireless fees.