Leaker says 'AirTags' coming soon -- in two sizes

Posted:
in General Discussion
It's being claimed for the first time that Apple's "AirTags" will come in two sizes, large and small, and the same leak supports recent claims that Apple is again about to release them shortly.

A render of Apple's AirTags [via Jon Prosser]
A render of Apple's AirTags [via Jon Prosser]

Seemingly backing up recent leaks that Apple has changed "AirTags" from a March 2021 release to November, a new leak claims both that they are due soon, and that they will come in two sizes.

Reliable leaker l0vetodream first cryptically tweeted the news that something was due out shortly.

big one
small one
coming soon

Following much questioning about whether this meant Apple Silicon MacBook Pro models, or other devices, the leaker gave a small clarification.

"AirTags" have been the subject of constantly changing release date rumors, but this is the first time that any source has claimed two sizes. It's not known what those sizes will be, beyond "big one" and "small one."

This Twitter leaker has a generally strong track record in revealing Apple device news. Most recently, l0vetodream was the first to say that Apple's smallest new 2020 phone would be named the iPhone 12 mini.

The most recently claimed reason for the changing "AirTags" release dates is that Apple has encountered problems manufacturing the "AirPods Studio," which it had been expected to announce in November.

The "AirTags" are reportedly ready so Apple may use them as part of its anticipated November event

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    The big one contains a battery maybe? The small one uses NFC instead? NFC's maximum distance is larger than most people think.
    twokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Yet more, expensive disposable devices like the Apple Watch and AirPods. 
    flyingdp
  • Reply 3 of 35
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    AndrewV said:
    Yea, can’t stand disposable stuff like food, clothing, homes, . . .
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It must be true since Twitter would have pulled it down if it was hearsay or unreliable.
    mobirdSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    AndrewV said:
    You get what You 💰 for 
    but don’t expect them to be cheap too even the small ones 

Air Tag disposal? Yes Apple Watch and AirPods? No. Unless you’re the rich snobby kind
    lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Just hope one of them, maybe big size one, can be used to find my car in big parking ramps and parking lots like near an airport.
    fred1lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 35
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Just hope one of them, maybe big size one, can be used to find my car in big parking ramps and parking lots like near an airport.
    That would be great. I hope I can slip one in a suitcase so I can track it when I fly. 
    aderutterlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    AirTags 2"

AirTags Mini 3"

(iPhone Mini joke)
  • Reply 9 of 35
    AndrewV said:
    How is  Watch disposable?
    lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    I think he is just talking about the iPhone 12:  big one, small one, both coming soon
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Don’t need a tag for that. 

My iPhone guides me back to the car after I’ve lost it (the car, not the phone). 
    mike1GabydewmeBeatsStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    fred1 said:
    AndrewV said:
    Yea, can’t stand disposable stuff like food, clothing, homes, . . .
    Yes, toilet paper, plastic spoons and forks, diapers....heck use water for washing that crap and hands for eating, then use water to clean your hands at the same time covid as well
    fred1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    maestro64 said:
    It must be true since Twitter would have pulled it down if it was hearsay or unreliable.

Oh please. A rumor is not a lie or slander. It's speculation.
    StrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I honestly think a lot of what’s going on with these constantly fluctuating dates is that Apple may be flooding the rumour mill with false information to try and locate and plug the leaks. That seems a distinct possibility to me anyway. That they are putting conflicting information out to perhaps parties or individuals they suspect in order to identify who is responsible. 
    pk22901baluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    AndrewV said:
    I would have to disagree with this statement by and large. Generally speaking Apple products have a much longer shelf life than competing models anyway. Granted things like the AirPods are a largely sealed design and cannot be easily repaired or recycled but Apple itself does this to reclaim as much as possible. However if you consider that while I now also own the AirPods Pro I still have a perfectly functioning set of original pods from launch day - (all the way back in 2016). They have been replaced once due to some issues that arose last year, but again the returned ones will have made their way back into circulation in some form. Moreover if you consider their pledge to be a completely closed loop by 2030 and their already strong progress in this area. Not to mention the recent announcement that their entire lifecycle from material sourcing to manufacture, to power usage and charging, through end of life and finally recycling is all factored in. Well I think that is not only far more responsible than many others but admirable and should inspire all manufacturers to achieve the same goal. ASAP. 
    I also have my original apple watch that works and looks as good as new from March was it? In 2015. An average iPhone lifespan is 6-7 years before recycling and well spec’d Macs can last more than 10 years with ease. 
    edited October 2020 lolliverStrangeDaysfastasleepwilliamhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Maps already does that for me. If I’m connected to Bluetooth or CarPlay when I park (except at home) I get a message on the Lock Screen saying my car’s location has been marked in Maps. Later, I can open Maps and it will show me where my car is. 

I’m still kinda looking forward to the AirTags announcement, though I’m not sure I’ll have a use for them. I’ve always thought Tile was kinda neat but never got any myself as I don’t really see a pressing need for them (personally). 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Gaby said:
    AndrewV said:
    I would have to disagree with this statement by and large. Generally speaking Apple products have a much longer shelf life than competing models anyway. 
    I wish Apple would support the still very capable older mac pro towers, at least in the macOS software...
    mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    If you have a recent iPhone, Maps does this automatically. 
    dewmeBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    mjtomlin said:
    maestro64 said:

Oh please. A rumor is not a lie or slander. It's speculation.
    I believe that's what the kids are calling a 'joke' nowadays.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Too damn right!  Although having it contact the car and telling it to come and pick me up would be better ;)
    watto_cobra