DOJ files antitrust lawsuit against Google's search business

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    well this is a start.  their special protection from lawsuits by individuals should be removed too.
    edited October 2020 cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    blastdoor said:
    Lord help us if this action forces Apple to use Bing
    No, it wouldn’t remotely do that. 

More likely it would force Apple to offer users a choice of default search browser when setting up a phone.. Of course, everyone will then choose Google anyway.

the irony is that this could be great for Google. Most iOS users will still pick them but now they don’t have to pay Apple anything. 
    That would be a large dent in Apple's bottom line.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

sdw2001 said:
    We can no longer trust anything this now highly politicized Justice Department does or says.

Google has long been the target of conservatives angry that their propaganda and conspiracy theories don't pop up at the top of every search.   Now, they have the long arm of the law to twist arms and insure that that happens.
    Right, because we could trust it under the previous administration.  You know, the one that spied on a presidential campaign using fake, foreign information.  The one that drummed up a fake case against General Flynn, Carter Page and George Papadopoulos?  The one that refused to prosecute Hillary Clinton despite massive evidence of guilt? That one?  
    We had a 'previous administration' but the term hardly applies to a one-man, crazy uncle that listens to the mirror only.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 44 of 47
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    mike1 said:
    spice-boy said:

sdw2001 said:

spice-boy said:
    Apple's next which will be good for the millions of their customers and those developing software for the platform. I look forward to a the time when these monopolies have been wrangled and technology can bring us real advancements again. 
    I don't think Apple is next.  Not all monopolies are illegal.  In fact, it's a stretch to call the App Store a monopoly.  You have to use it if you want to use Apple's products.  But there are other products that don't require it.  It's just not the same.  Unless it's shown that Apple is illegally harming competing software developers in favor of their own products, it's not the same case.  
    Ask a developer what they think of the App Store, monopolies in a capitalist society show the failure of the system, a lively competitive market is over when a monopoly has been reached in any industry. Monopoly = no pressure to improve your service or product, no completion in pricing for those products or services, innovation slows to a crawl. Apple has been snatching up small companies for a couple of decades now, in reality they either used the technology those companies have developed or keep it from ever being competition to Apple's products. This is bad for for the tech industry and the future of our country. 

Oh, please. Most of these tech companies you allude to were created for the sole purpose of getting to the big payday.
    that's beside the point, you like the idea that small companies can never grow, you will never see what they could add to the culture?
  • Reply 45 of 47
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

gatorguy said:
    Apple is safe because if its App Store was somehow declared illegal it could simply shut down the entire store with minimal consequence on its business. Apple could return to the status it had under the iPhone's first release: no App Store.
    https://www.investopedia.com/apple-s-5-most-profitable-lines-of-business-4684130
    What flavor of Apple cool-aide are you drinking?
  • Reply 46 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    spice-boy said:

gatorguy said:
    Apple is safe because if its App Store was somehow declared illegal it could simply shut down the entire store with minimal consequence on its business. Apple could return to the status it had under the iPhone's first release: no App Store.
    https://www.investopedia.com/apple-s-5-most-profitable-lines-of-business-4684130
    What flavor of Apple cool-aide are you drinking?
    You obviously would be referring to the author of the link. 
  • Reply 47 of 47
    rob53 said:
    I quit using Google search when Apple allowed other search engines. I use Duck-Duck-Go and it works fine. 
    DDG is really good, but it only returns only a fraction of the links to the types of info that I often search for. I am not suggesting that's your use case, but just that Google's search generally tends to return a more complete and comprehensive set of links. I think a lot of people would agree. 
    If I ever am not seeing what I think I should be finding right away in DDG, I just amend the query with a "!g" which forwards the search to Google. Maybe once or twice out of a hundred searches. There are a number of other bang commands for similar purposes.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrajony0