Spotify reports $118 million loss despite adding more users, paid subscribers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Spotify bled about $118 million in profit in the third quarter of 2020, despite its active monthly user count increasing 29% during the period.

Credit: Spotify
Credit: Spotify

The chief Apple Music competitor now has 320 million monthly active users and 144 million paid subscribers. Spotify attributed the growth in both of those sections to marketing in India and a launch in Russia and 12 other markets.

Despite reporting revenue growth of 14% to about $2.32 billion, the streaming service still reported a loss of $118 million. In the third quarter of 2019, the company actually made a profit of $282 million.

In the year-ago quarter, Spotify had 248 million monthly active users and 113 paid subscribers. Year-over-year, Spotify revenue per-user dropped about 10%. Largely, that's due to the fact that the service is luring in new subscribers with discounted plans.

Several months after securing an exclusive deal with "The Joe Rogan Experience," Spotify says that the podcast is now the platform's most popular. There are about 1.9 million podcasts available on the streaming now, up from $1.5 million quarter-over-quarter. More users appear to be engaging with podcasts, too, representing about a 1% increase from Q2 2020.

Apple Music, for its part, reported that it had 60 million paying subscribers as of last year. The Apple music service does not have a free tier, and while it doesn't offer subscriber counts as frequently as Spotify, some light could be shed on its performance on Apple's Thursday earnings call.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Remind me, what's Spotify?
    williamlondoncornchipviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    At some point a company that actually makes money is going to have to buy Spotify. But will the antitrust types go for it?
    AT&T, Disney, Viacom and Comcast won't bite. They are too busy paying off debts from their Time Warner, Fox, Paramount and Universal purchases. For Disney and AT&T in particular it looks really bad. Disney's debt load is massive and while AT&T's debt is smaller, they don't have anything like Disney+ to pay it off.

Were Netflix to buy Spotify, I guess that would be fine as Google, Amazon and Apple all own video and music streaming services (YouTube, YouTube TV, Google TV, YouTube Music; Prime Video, Prime Music; Apple TV+, Apple Music plus whatever they split iTunes up into). 

But were Google, Amazon or Apple to buy Spotify, the antitrust regulators would freak out. This isn't the same environment that allowed Google to buy Songza, Apple to buy Beats etc. a few years back. 

Maybe Sirius XM can buy it and merge it with Pandora? That would probably be the best outcome. Spotify does need to continue to exist in some form. And while that combination would have a huge market share, Google, Apple and Amazon still have their streaming music offerings so it would be far from a monopoly. 
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 3 of 14
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'm surprised they didn't blame Apple for their $118 million dollar loss.
    BeatscornchipSpamSandwichviclauyycleavingthebiggred oaklkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    MacPro said:
    A better music service for people that aren't blinded by the "Apple Light".  :) 
    deanwallcornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Isn't this the company whining that Apple's inventions are too successful?

Yeah this isn't about money at all but the poor little developer they don't give a damn about.
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

They’re going to have to figure something out at some point. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
     Several months after securing an exclusive deal with "The Joe Rogan Experience," Spotify says that the podcast is now the platform's most popular. There are about 1.9 million podcasts available on the streaming now, up from $1.5 million quarter-over-quarter.”

Huh? They have 2 million podcasts, give or take?? 

ITGUYINSD said:
    MacPro said:
    Explain please. How is it “better”? That sounds pretty subjective. Like someone saying Matisse is “better” than Van Gogh. You may like something better, but that’s a different argument. No idea how it’s “better” when I can’t use my 20 year iTunes library of music I’ve collected that I transferred to iTunes on it. I don’t see any radio shows like the ones Apple Music has. I’ll give Spotify one edge, and that that’s their use of analytics at the end of the year showing what I’ve listened to, but even Apple has started that and I hope to see it improve from last year. Yes, I use both services, so I’m not in any troll wars. But I’m pretty objective when I say that I think Apple Music is overall better when the plusses and minuses are compared. 
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,127member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    MacPro said:
    What's "better"?  Are the songs different?  
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cloudguy said:
    At some point a company that actually makes money is going to have to buy Spotify. But will the antitrust types go for it?
    AT&T, Disney, Viacom and Comcast won't bite. They are too busy paying off debts from their Time Warner, Fox, Paramount and Universal purchases. For Disney and AT&T in particular it looks really bad. Disney's debt load is massive and while AT&T's debt is smaller, they don't have anything like Disney+ to pay it off.

Were Netflix to buy Spotify, I guess that would be fine as Google, Amazon and Apple all own video and music streaming services (YouTube, YouTube TV, Google TV, YouTube Music; Prime Video, Prime Music; Apple TV+, Apple Music plus whatever they split iTunes up into). 

But were Google, Amazon or Apple to buy Spotify, the antitrust regulators would freak out. This isn't the same environment that allowed Google to buy Songza, Apple to buy Beats etc. a few years back. 

Maybe Sirius XM can buy it and merge it with Pandora? That would probably be the best outcome. Spotify does need to continue to exist in some form. And while that combination would have a huge market share, Google, Apple and Amazon still have their streaming music offerings so it would be far from a monopoly. 
    Yes, Spotify has many customers but it seems like a money pit.

The best outcome for Spotify is merged with or buy by Netflix. Similar service. Netflix is actually very profitable and with many of their own customers. Combined the two groups of customers, and it will be huge. But Spotify is greedy and the price will be high.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14

flydog said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    MacPro said:
    The attitude is better.  
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    MacPro said:
    I saw what you did there.  Good one.  Love that song even though it took forty years for me to find out what a 'Dooshen Bag' was in the Manfred Mann version.

p.s. I don't use Apple Music or whatever Spotify is.  I have several hundred meg collection in Apple's iTunes Match so don't have time or need to listen to anything else.  Apple One may just induce me to try Apple Music though.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    MacPro said:
    My SO uses Spotify on her desktop when working because it's free (her words).  I use iTunes Music.

When it comes to playing on the house audio system, especially when entertaining guests she streams my iTunes as she has told me it just has a better selection, and the playlists are arranged better.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    flydog said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    MacPro said:
    No but the recommendation algorithms are so far ahead of Apple it is unreal. If you aren’t looking to discover ‘new’ music whether that be new releases or old artists you haven’t come across before then they are equal. If you are then Apple is to Spotify what Siri is to Alexa
  • Reply 14 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,315member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    MacPro said:
    How is it "better" if it:

a. Pays nearly 1/3rd of the money Apple Music pays artists;
    b. Is constantly in court for not paying artists; and
    c. Can't make a nickel?

They have 144M "paid" subscribers and 176M free-tier that they play ads at. But this quarter was yet another loss of $118M, on revenue of $2.32B with 29 percent growth you. Here's how their 2020 has played out so far:
    Q1: hit $2B in revenue, profit was not quite $1M
    Q2: $2.2B in revenue, loss of $415M
    Q3: $2.32B in revenue, loss of $118M

So, to review:
    Apple has the larger music catalog, pays artists more, and is incredibly profitable. Spotify has more users (both paid and unpaid) but doesn't pay artists well when it pays them at all, and can't make money. But they have racist Joe Rogan.

Interesting concept of "better" you got there.
    watto_cobra