Apple TV+, now one year old, looks poised for growth

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,170member
    Defending Jacob, unfortunately for Apple, was a limited series, one that ended in such a way that future seasons are practically impossible. However, that's far from the case with Apple's other success, Ted Lasso.

One of the best things about streaming services is binging on self contained stories. Stories that have a clear arc, a clear beginning and a clear end. It makes the story stronger. Nothing worse than milking a show until it jumps the shark.  A great recent release is The Queens Gambit on Netflix.
    It does mean the service has to prepared to take risk on original content. Falling into the trap of funding an additional series when the show should have ended is MBA Exec safe, but ends up trashing the service overall.
    Anyway, a good streaming service that I would pay for would have a heap of self contained series like Defending Jacob and less talk shows that have at best a short use by date. 

I have has TV+ For almost a year now, and the limited amount of content means it isn’t worth paying for.  I have mostly enjoyed the few shows I have watched, but there isn’t enough to justify a monthly service. 

edited November 2020 xyzzy01
  • Reply 22 of 39
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,586member
    This may only apply to US customers, (which I am not) but in the US people can purchase a bundle of Apple TV with CBS/Showtime for a special price. In a sense that is a back catalog for which you are spending money through Apple only. The CBS channel is the best channel on Apple TV, followed not far behind by Britbox whose back catalog is also enormous. I know you have to pay extra, but does Netflix or Hulu have extra channels that you can purchase? (Sincere question, I don't know the answer.)
  • Reply 23 of 39
    While reviewing my subscriptions today, I switched my Apple TV+ subscription from monthly to annual. That probably gives Apple an indicator that I am interested in what they are putting out.

I have not sampled everything they have. Ted Lasso & Mythic Quest are the only 2 I have watched the complete series of and Tehran and Long Way Up are the ones I am currently following. However, once they are done, I know I'll start watching Defending Jacob and For All Mankind. 

I may not have any interest in the movies they currently have, but their documentaries are pretty good. 

Overall, I am looking forward to the stuff they have. 
  • Reply 24 of 39
    CarmBCarmB Posts: 81member
    While reviewing my subscriptions today, I switched my Apple TV+ subscription from monthly to annual. That probably gives Apple an indicator that I am interested in what they are putting out.

I have not sampled everything they have. Ted Lasso & Mythic Quest are the only 2 I have watched the complete series of and Tehran and Long Way Up are the ones I am currently following. However, once they are done, I know I'll start watching Defending Jacob and For All Mankind. 

I may not have any interest in the movies they currently have, but their documentaries are pretty good. 

Overall, I am looking forward to the stuff they have. 
    If you sample The Morning Show, keep in mind that it gets stronger as it builds to the season finale. I wasn’t that impressed with the early episodes but I kept watching and I’m glad I did. 
  • Reply 25 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Let’s see. 24 posts and 98% negative. That shows just how out-of-touch the typical tech blog denizen is with the real world. Add to that the typical tech blog denizen is down on their knees praying that AppleTV+ fails miserably so they can tout how they called it because it didn’t fit their requirements of a streaming service.

Sure, they’re allowed their opinions but like stock analysts they have no clue.

Just my opinion of course. B)
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I never bothered redeeming my free Apple TV with my iPhone 11. Just never got round to it. 

I think that sort of sums up the saturated TV streaming market at the moment, there’s only so many services people are going to be willing to pay for 

Personally I find standard TV fits most my needs in the UK, I don’t mind paying for you tube premium and amazon prime 

I see all the others as a bit superfluous 

• Reply 27 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cg27 said:

And that Sofia Coppola movie was complete crap.  Talk about nepotism.
    I thought it was great. What do you mean, nepotism?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

He meant Sofia only got the job because of her father, Francis Ford. I think your point is that Francis Ford didn't hire Sofia. You're both right, but she probably used his name to get that job, just like Jaden Smith used Will's name to get his job. Nothing wrong with that. You inherit your parents' cash in addition to their name, and there's nothing wrong with that either. In fact it's perfectly normal and expected to inherit everything from your parent. The whole idea of "looking after one's own" has been a noble practice for all human history, and yet the word "nepotism," which means the same thing, somehow has a bad reputation. You can find "nepotism" in nearly every movie and TV show ever made, and when it's there, it's portrayed as "love of family." Nepotism has an undeserved bad rap.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

He meant Sofia only got the job because of her father, Francis Ford. I think your point is that Francis Ford didn't hire Sofia. You're both right, but she probably used his name to get that job,
    Academy Award winning director Sofia Coppola got a job directing a film for Apple because of her dad?

Don’t be daft.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

He meant Sofia only got the job because of her father, Francis Ford. I think your point is that Francis Ford didn't hire Sofia. You're both right, but she probably used his name to get that job,
    Academy Award winning director Sofia Coppola got a job directing a film for Apple because of her dad?

Don’t be daft.
    Are you saying she never took advantage of her surname? Don't be daft.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

Don’t be daft.
    I literally have no idea and wouldn't want to speculate.  And besides, who's talking about never?  We're talking about On The Rocks.  At this point she's a very well respected director in her own right.  Probably moreso than FFC in the present tense, as he hasn't done anything decent in decades
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 32 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

Don’t be daft.
    I literally have no idea and wouldn't want to speculate.  And besides, who's talking about never?  We're talking about On The Rocks.  At this point she's a very well respected director in her own right.  Probably moreso than FFC in the present tense, as he hasn't done anything decent in decades
    Perhaps you are right that the topic at hand was On The Rocks, in which case you are right. I was trying to branch out to nepotism in general. She may be a respected director now, but the only thing I've ever seen her do was On The Rocks and that movie wasn't up to par of an episode of Three's Company, let alone an Academy Award.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

Don’t be daft.
    Perhaps you are right that the topic at hand was On The Rocks, in which case you are right. I was trying to branch out to nepotism in general. She may be a respected director now, but the only thing I've ever seen her do was On The Rocks and that movie wasn't up to par of an episode of Three's Company, let alone an Academy Award.
    No 'perhaps' about it.  The nepotism comment was immediately following a comment that On the Rocks was crap.  Quit this weaselling around and inserting yourself into other people's conversations please.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

Don’t be daft.
    No 'perhaps' about it.  The nepotism comment was immediately following a comment that On the Rocks was crap.  Quit this weaselling around and inserting yourself into other people's conversations please.
    You are sure intolerant of people who try to change the conversation by 30% even when they admit you were right on the topic at hand. A vacation would do you nicely.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

Don’t be daft.
    You are sure intolerant of people who try to change the conversation by 30% even when they admit you were right on the topic at hand. A vacation would do you nicely.
    Thank you for retracting the perhaps.  I have no idea why you used it in the first place.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

Don’t be daft.
    Thank you for retracting the perhaps.  I have no idea why you used it in the first place.
    It's because I was trying to reconcile two people who were arguing, you and cg7. My motivation was peacemaking. And your response will be "But I was 100% right, why do we need peacemaking?" That shows intolerance.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:

Don’t be daft.
    It's because I was trying to reconcile two people who were arguing, you and cg7. My motivation was peacemaking. And your response will be "But I was 100% right, why do we need peacemaking?" That shows intolerance.
    I'd said one thing to cg27 and he hadn't responded, so I'm not sure what argument you thought you were seeing.  You have a very strange view of things, and of your own importance or relevance in them.  I'm not particularly tolerant of busybodies with overly high opinions of themselves.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    kolvas said:
    22july2013 said:
    Tehran is more novel and exciting than the usual "Moscow" setting. I used Google Earth to find as many of the outdoor locations as I could. Interestingly, Google Earth's Street View blocks/censors some of the "spy buildings" shown in that show, so the locations are probably accurate! That was a nice touch.
    While I do agree that Tehran is more novel and exciting, I do have to point out that almost all of the series was shot in Athens, Greece.
    Except for the many scenes shot in Israel. I found many locations in Israel using Google Earth. I'm very good at using Google Earth to find where street images were made.

I don't think anyone expects that the scenes meant to represent Iran were actually filmed in Iran. Obviously Iran would not allow Israeli actors and Israeli media companies to work and film anything in Iran, let alone a spy drama that might make them look bad. Iran has a dictatorship leadership filled with racists, so they would not allow that.
    Well, according to this https://www.thecinemaholic.com/where-is-tehran-filmed/ the series was shot entirely on location in Athens, What scenes are you referring to that were shot in Israel?
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 39 of 39
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Always thought that TV+ was a complete waste of money for Apple, still do, but given the mountain of cash Apple is sitting on it’s only a minor waste of money.
    I really Enjoy AppleTV+, so I don't agree!