Apple announces M1 as first Mac Apple Silicon chip

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I noticed something interesting.

At first, I thought Apple just replaced all the machines which used only Intel's integrated GPUs, leaving the discrete GPU machines for later updates. That's not it, though. The 13" MacBook Pro with four Thunderbolt 3 ports is still Intel. No M1 chip available.

That says to me the M1 only runs two Thunderbolt ports. Whatever comes next (M1 Plus?) will run four Thunderbolt ports. The question is whether it will have an integrated GPU, or a separate one. My bet is a beefier integrated with the ability to also use a discrete GPU (not used in the 13", but same chip with a dGPU in the 16" and iMacs).

That leaves the iMac Pro and Mac Pro, which I still think will be multi-chip. I think the 27" iMac will have one chip (M1 Max?), iMac Pro will have two, and Mac Pro will have four.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Waauuuu 😍

Next year: Mac Pro with  P1POSITRONIC 👀😳🤓
  • Reply 23 of 31
    When is Face ID going to come out out instead of the finger print sensor, it's clunk now. You open your laptop, have to press the finger print sensor and then it logs you in (unless of course you're wearing your AppleWatch) which I don't always do.

The omission is odd.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    I am sure 2021 will be the year of the new iMac design - surely, and hey maybe even Face ID so no clunky login.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Beats said:
    Underwhelming event with no AirTags or audio announcements.

No FaceID and no new Mac App Store to kick off Apple Silicon Macs and no new design.

Before the usuals reply "what where you expecting a teleportation machine!!"
    No I was expecting the usual Apple stuff like innovative new designs and new features.
    We all knew that Apple would be using the same designs for the first generation, as they did when moving to Intel. It’s been pointed out that moving an entirely new machine into the same case makes it much easier to hit that target. Redesigning the case as well would be too much of a moving target.

you have ludicrous expectations here. This was a Mac event. Airtags are a very minor product line. If you don’t understand how much of an accomplishment this was, then think about it.
    cornchipjasenj1
  • Reply 26 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

normm said:
    mfryd said:
    Perhaps I missed it.  But I did not see any mention of clock speed, or Windows compatibility.

I need to occasionally run Windows software.  I current use Parallels.   Will Apple Silicon based chips be able to run Parallels and Windows?  
    It can run Mac Intel apps under Rosetta, but not Windows Intel apps.

That said, Microsoft makes a version of Windows that runs on their ARM Surface machines.  It includes a system for translating and caching x86 executables similar to Rosetta, to emulate x86 Windows Intel apps on ARM.  They have not announced its availability to run on Apple Silicon, but presumably they could.

There are also cloud based services that let you maintain a virtual Windows machine running on a remote server, when you need it.
    Microsoft’s version just runs on one SoC. Don’t remember the designation, but it’s a very modestly modified version of a Qualcomm 850 variant. Moving that to Apple’s M1 will be quite a task. I don’t know whether Microsoft will consider it worth it. Consider that Microsoft’s business model has moved away from Windows as a central point, to the cloud, and applications for every platform. It’s quite easy to see them looking at perhaps a couple of million Apple users having Windows to be a non starter for them. Where would the profit be considering the very high cost of the work?

Microsoft won’t care about third party software running on the Mac. They will care about Office running natively, which should be out before too long.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Ultimate differentiation. 

My guess is that this has been the plan since the day A-series silicon development began. Certainly since the development of the 64bit chips. It’s a brilliant strategy that is truly going to propel them to places their competitors just can’t reach. 
  • Reply 28 of 31
    mfryd said:
    Perhaps I missed it.  But I did not see any mention of clock speed, or Windows compatibility.

I need to occasionally run Windows software.  I current use Parallels.   Will Apple Silicon based chips be able to run Parallels and Windows?  
    Eventually, you’ll be able to use Parallels to have Windows running within MacOS.  
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Im not seeing a reason to chose the more expensive 13" pro over the cheaper Air for a 200£ saving.
    Both have this..
    • Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU and 16‑core Neural Engine
    • 8GB unified memory
    • 512GB SSD storage¹
    • Retina display with True Tone
    • Magic Keyboard
    • Touch ID
    • Force Touch trackpad
    • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
    It’s really about how long you will be pushing the laptop. If you will be working and doing a lot of work for a long time, then get the Pro or Mini. Otherwise, the Air will do you just fine.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    zimmie said:
    I noticed something interesting.

At first, I thought Apple just replaced all the machines which used only Intel's integrated GPUs, leaving the discrete GPU machines for later updates. That's not it, though. The 13" MacBook Pro with four Thunderbolt 3 ports is still Intel. No M1 chip available.

That says to me the M1 only runs two Thunderbolt ports. Whatever comes next (M1 Plus?) will run four Thunderbolt ports. The question is whether it will have an integrated GPU, or a separate one. My bet is a beefier integrated with the ability to also use a discrete GPU (not used in the 13", but same chip with a dGPU in the 16" and iMacs).

That leaves the iMac Pro and Mac Pro, which I still think will be multi-chip. I think the 27" iMac will have one chip (M1 Max?), iMac Pro will have two, and Mac Pro will have four.
    The real question is, will Apple’s M1X or M2 chips have the graphics turned off and a dedicated GPU, or will they work with AMD to enhance their graphics performance (like AMD CrossFire)? 
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I think it was when Intel fell behind with Skylake. And if you believe the rumor that what actually went wrong with the Butterfly Keyboards was how hot the machine got, and it damaged the keys, then Apple’s design was limited by Intel. And if you go back to the announcement from IBM to Intel, Jobs actually apologized. He said out right they weren’t able to get a PowerBook G5. And that kind of sounds like what’s happening here. Apple likes designing thin and light laptops. Intel doesn’t know how to design cool, fast and efficient processors. 
    cornchip said:
    Ultimate differentiation. 

My guess is that this has been the plan since the day A-series silicon development began. Certainly since the development of the 64bit chips. It’s a brilliant strategy that is truly going to propel them to places their competitors just can’t reach.