Apple releases macOS Big Sur with redesign, Safari updates and more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    Perhaps Apple is testing out just one of the new Apple Silicon Mac Minis as the sole server to handle distribution of this update for the entire world?

Almost makes one nostalgic for the days of dial-up modems. I don't remember even them being quite so slow.
    spice-boyAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 124
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Download macOS Big Sur...

2 days remaining 
    iloveapplegearmwhiteAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 124
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    saarek said:
    lkrupp said:
    I’m not seeing it! Son-of-a-bitch Apple! Oh wait! I have a late 2013 iMac 14,2 and it won’t run Big Sur. Sorry, my bad B)
    Your 2013 iMac supports Metal. Give it a few days and DosDude will release an easy to use patch that will make your iMac work just fine. No technical reasons whatsoever that your iMac can't run Big Sur, it's just Apple seeing your computer as end of life. I do strongly recommend you get an SSD if you don't already have one and make sure you have at least 8GB of Ram.

My daughters 2010 MacBook Pro works great with Catelina, no reason to think you would have any issue with Big Sur on your iMac.
    Thanks but I don’t do kludges. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 124
    just crapped out after an hour :-( 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 124
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Could it download any slower....You'd think Apple would be ready for this stuff by now. It's only been a few years doing this. 
    edited November 2020 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 124
    is fast now!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 124
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Downloading NYC, estimated time remaining 2 DAYS, I'm not kidding. 
  • Reply 28 of 124
    uphill said:
    Perhaps Apple is testing out just one of the new Apple Silicon Mac Minis as the sole server to handle distribution of this update for the entire world?

Almost makes one nostalgic for the days of dial-up modems. I don't remember even them being quite so slow.
    ha ha ha thanks for that one!
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 124
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Stalled at 157.3MB.  I keep trying to stop and restart the download to no avail.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 124
    At 4 days now, wrong way Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    MaxLe0p0ldMaxLe0p0ld Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    Download Speed is gone way down - connected to Business Fibre Line with 1Gigabit in the UK - current estimate 7 Hours..

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 124
    I think the re-count in Georgia will be done before any of us gets Big Sur.
    iloveapplegearJinTechemoellerRayz2016bikerdudecaladanianAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 124
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    This is a very exciting release.  I'm looking forward to downloading this in the next couple days to try it on a non-essential Mac of mine to begin testing of my must-have development apps.  For sure, it will be a while before I install this on my two main workstations as I suspect this new release will take a bit to fully bake.
    bikerdudeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 124
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Says 12 hours to download and the microwave has stopped working. 

Pretty sure there’s a connection. 
    spice-boyJinTechcaladanianAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 124
    sflocal said:
    This is a very exciting release.  I'm looking forward to downloading this in the next couple days to try it on a non-essential Mac of mine to begin testing of my must-have development apps.  For sure, it will be a while before I install this on my two main workstations as I suspect this new release will take a bit to fully bake.
    You should probably start now. 
    elijahgAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    In the store as stated, downloading now ... Florida.

I see it's for Age 4+ lol.
    edited November 2020 elijahgAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 124
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    Downloading but VERY slow. Only 1.03GB out of 12.18GB in over an hour.  It says 20 hours remaining.  Come on Apple, you can do better than this!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 124
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I just started downloading and this message popped up: “Download will be completed by Thanksgiving”. 😉
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 124
    After several hours and now a second failure with an aborted download, I guess it's time to put this off for a day or two and do something useful instead.

At this rate, the download time will exceed my current life expectancy.

Time to have a nice cup of afternoon tea. A better use of my remaining years on Earth.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 124
    bluefire1 said:
    I just started downloading and this message popped up: “Download will be completed by Thanksgiving”. 😉
    I had welcome to 2021 !
    bikerdudeAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra