Pixelmator Pro gets redesign for macOS Big Sur, native Apple Silicon support

Posted:
in General Discussion
The new Pixelmator Pro 2.0 is claimed to be the largest redesign of the already regularly-updated image editor, bringing new Apple Silicon-powered Super Resolution, and customizable workspaces.

Pixelmator Pro 2.0
Pixelmator Pro 2.0

Mac image editor Pixelmator Pro has seen significant feature additions throughout 2020, but it is now to be completely redesigned with version 2.0. It's been reworked visually to surface the most popular controls, and it has also been optimized for both macOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon M1.

"Pixelmator Pro 2.0 is the biggest ever update to Pixelmator Pro, bringing a fresh new look, a huge range of new features and improvements, and an even more intuitive editing experience," said Simonas Bastys, lead developer. "And thanks to an image editing engine powered entirely by Metal, Pixelmator Pro 2.0 is now fully optimized for every new Mac powered by the incredible M1 chip."

The updated app will be available on the Mac App Store from Thursday, November 19. It will be free for existing users, or $39.99 for new customers.

Pixelmator Pro 2.0's most notable new feature is an update to the existing Machine Learning-powered Super Resolution, this time specifically for Apple Silicon. Pixelmator claims that the feature's ability to increase the resolution of an image, without distortion, can now run up to 15 times faster than before.

ML Super Resolution is available for all users, and Pixelmator Pro 2.0 is a Universal app that runs on both Intel-based and M1-based Macs. For all users, the visual redesign is meant to make it quicker to use the image editor, and also easy to customize.

Pixelmator Pro 2.0 contains pre-configured options to suit illustrators, photographers and more, but you can also adjust all tools
Pixelmator Pro 2.0 contains pre-configured options to suit illustrators, photographers and more, but you can also adjust all tools

For example, the longstanding tool strip that saw major controls arranged in a row down the right side of the app, can now be radically revamped. Often-used controls can be made more prominent, lesser ones can be removed. And the tool strip can be changed to a horizontal one across the top of the app.

Pixelmator Pro 2.0, codenamed Junipero, requires macOS Mojave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Can't wait. Such good software. Super resolution is TV and movie's mythical "enhance".
    edited November 2020 williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 3
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    $39 for new users and free for existing users, like me. Something that Adobe will never do. 
    buttesilverwilliamlondonentropyscornchip
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jdb8167 said:
    Can't wait. Such good software. Super resolution is TV and movie's mythical "enhance".
    It is very satisfying to see that technology has caught up and then passed the future of Blade Runner.    Even without Super Resolution it just amazes me when I scroll around and zoom in on a high resolution image on a Cell Phone or iPad.   It is literally better than what was imagined in Blade Runner.

Maybe I'm too much of a geek but that was just one part of the movie that has stuck with me over the years.
    williamlondon