Foxconn allegedly testing folding iPhone, projected Sept. 2022 release

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Supply chain reports are claiming that the long-term assembly partner Foxconn is now testing a folding iPhone for Apple, and also that devices may ship starting in September 2022.

Foldable iPhones could have displays that heal creases or dents themselves
Mockup of a foldable iPhone (Source: William Gallagher)

Potentially backing up a recent claim that Apple has ordered screens for a foldable iPhone from Samsung, a new report says that Foxconn is now testing such a device. Reportedly, the testing centers on the use of OLED or micro LED, as the choice will affect how production of a final device will be done.

According to China's United Daily News, Apple has asked Foxconn to test the screen, and also the bearings of a folding iPhone device. The bearings, the actual folding element, will reportedly come from multiple suppliers, but the final assembly is to be handled by Foxconn.

Previous reports have claimed only that a folding iPhone may be years away. However, based on information from its unnamed supply chain sources, United Daily News claims that Apple is expected to release the first foldable iPhone from September 2022.

The publication says that folding tests for regular laptops requires them to be opened and closed between 20,000 and 30,000 times. For a folding iPhone, it says Foxconn will conduct over 100,000 opening and closing tests.

This new report gives no details of the design of the folding iPhone, and its sources say that development is constantly changing. However, recent claims by leaker Jon Prosser say that the foldable iPhone will be a two-screen device, similar to the Microsoft Surface Duo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    The Microsoft duo is such a pointless device.

id be shocked if Apple did anything resembling the Duo.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I know people like to make fun of folding mobile devices, I think the problem is that it hasn’t been done well yet. I assume a well thought out and a well done folding device that is durable could be awesome. 
    I would be glad Apple is working on it—I want to see what they come up with when the technology is there to make it to Apple’s standards.
    williamlondondoozydozenBeatspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Somebody outside of Apple, testing a new Apple prototype design, two years before  production. That sounds totally legit. 
    SpamSandwichcy_starkmanStrangeDaysright_said_fredcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    bageljoey said:
    I know people like to make fun of folding mobile devices, I think the problem is that it hasn’t been done well yet. I assume a well thought out and a well done folding device that is durable could be awesome. 
    I would be glad Apple is working on it—I want to see what they come up with when the technology is there to make it to Apple’s standards.
    "People" don't make fun of folding mobile devices. Apple fans do. They make fun of every idea and feature that Android OEMs develop first ... right up until Apple copies it. Another point where you are wrong: while the generation 1 Galaxy Fold had issues, the generation 1 Galaxy Flip - Samsung's second foldable - was good. The generation 2 Galaxy Fold and Galaxy Flip devices are by all accounts outstanding with the former far exceeding Samsung's sales goals. Now that Samsung has mastered the design and assembly process they are including a substantially cheaper Galaxy Fold (the best seller of the two devices despite costing $500 more) among third generation devices in 2021. By the time Apple releases their version in 2022, Samsung will be on generation 4 of these devices and generation 2 of the cheaper Fan Edition ones. 

Look, the idea that "it takes Apple to come along and get things right" is just something that Apple fans come up with to justify getting features years late. Samsung actually has a better mobile payments solution than Apple does because it includes both MST and NFC, making it work at every credit card terminal that stores don't software-block. Despite all the bombastic "air power" claims, wireless charging works the same for Apple devices as it does for Android ones. Apple gave their Apple TV set top box an app store years after Android (Google and Amazon) ones did the same, and it does nothing that they don't do. Apple's OLED screens: ditto, no different from Samsung's. Apple adopted larger screened phones years after Samsung and the rest did, but Samsung still has far more multitasking features to take advantage of the larger screens. And so on.

This will be the same. Apple will adopt this technology after Samsung will have spent 4 years using feedback from customers and app developers refining it (and buying the materials from Samsung that Apple needs to make it). Apple's own solution will only be "better" in the eyes of people who never used the Samsung version in the first place, including all those people who derive some satisfaction out of claiming to have been "a longtime loyal Android buyer who got frustrated, switched to Apple and found their devices much better" but then you ask them basic questions about the very same devices that you actually do or did own and they "respond" by calling you a deluded fanboy and Apple hater and then go quiet. 

Also, this is the result of long-range planning from Samsung. Samsung years ago saw that while their Note line was generating good sales, profit margins were low due to R&D costs and the devices having too many features. So they put a 3 prong plan in place.
    1. Make the Galaxy Note essentially the Galaxy S with a bigger screen and stylus.
    2. Enable stylus support on all their premium phones. 
    3. End the Galaxy Note line and make foldables their new premium phone.
    It took them 6 years but they have finally done it. In 2020 all of their phones that will feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 875/Exynos 2001 will have S Pen support and the Note line - which forced Apple to respond beginning with the iPhone 6 Plus - is no more. It will have been a great 10 year run for the second most influential smartphone in history behind the original iPhone. So much so that the current iPhone Mini actually has a bigger screen than the original Galaxy Note did!

So yeah, you can tell yourself that "Apple does other people's ideas better" but smartphone sales and Apple's own copying actions say otherwise.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    I wrote this here in early 2019.  I think it still, mostly, stands...

My John Oliver impression...

Last week Samsung introduced a future-thinking folding phone.  Future-thinking in that nobody at present can think of a single reason why we’d want a phone that when folded has a small narrow display and is nearly two and a half times thicker than an iPhone.  Future-thinking in that someone, someday, might think of a reason we want a small square tablet with a screen that when touched reminds us of a giant 1980’s membrane switch.

I know, I know, my Apple wool is preventing me from seeing the brilliance of Samsung’s move.  All I’m able to perceive here is an attempt to be first.  On that score Samsung has won yet another round, another pyrrhic victory for their side of the ledger.  And yes, Apple may follow, but not down the same trail Samsung is blazing.  For Apple to offer a foldable phone, there still exists some real challenges:

Appropriate hardware technology would have to be available.  

First, the display would need to be covered with a non-malleable and scratch-resistant surface; there’s little chance Apple would return to a malleable and markable, plastic display cover.  The challenge is that the necessary display properties are, of course, incompatible with folding and are likely to remain so.  

Next, the phone when folded will need to be as ready to hand, and pocket, as current iPhones, to which any foldable iPhone, in folded configuration, will be ruthlessly compared.  The rumor that Apple may bolster battery capacity in the 2019 models could result in thicker iPhones, which would help in a comparison of a future foldable model.  Apple would be settting the stage for a thicker handset with a meaningful enhancement to justify it.  But it would still be a significant challenge to then add a second screen layer and not significantly increase the thickness.  Perhaps a flattened battery on one side of the fold and all the electronics and cameras on the other fold.  Not sure if Samsung did that, or if it’s even viable.

Next there’s the reliability aspect.  iPhones, and high-end Android phones, are all very solidly constructed these days, with few or no moving parts.  But that doesn’t imply even today’s phones are free of physical wear and tear or immune to extreme conditions.  Extreme cold or heat will be significant issues to account for in selecting materials and designing folding phones to yield a similar lifespan compared to their non-folding counterparts.  For iPhones that implies a five- or six-year lifespan.  Not to mention tensile stresses of the folding process itself.

The only viable solution my limited brain can conceive is two separate displays, each pressed up hard against a lip on a hinge to prevent dust or cookie crumbs intruding.  As the phone unfolds, at the last part of the arc, that lip recedes, allowing the two screen edges to come together perfectly, leaving not a single pixel width gap between.  How incredibly precise would such a mechanism need to be... boggles the mind.  But if it worked, every time, for five or six years, it would allow two glass-covered displays to perfectly come together as one, without a visible seam.  

Finally, Apple would need to do one more thing that Samsung has not yet accomplished.  Apple would need to determine the reason such a needlessly complex handset should exist.  That’s where I take my bet off the table.  I’m betting Apple goes a different direction. 

tmaypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,135member
    Foxconn is testing secret iPhone prototypes?  This total bullshit.  Apple fabricates and tests all prototypes in house.  It doesn't need, nor would it ever, outsource "100,000 opening and closing tests."

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/25/11631290/inside-apples-secret-testing-labs-where-phones-are-bent-all-day-long

https://www.wired.com/2015/10/what-i-saw-inside-apples-top-secret-input-lab/

edited November 2020 cy_starkmanStrangeDaysfastasleepradarthekatright_said_fredwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 28

cloudguy said:
    bageljoey said:
    "People" don't make fun of folding mobile devices. Apple fans do. They make fun of every idea and feature that Android OEMs develop first ... right up until Apple copies it. 
    Yeah what a load of crap.  What has Apple ever copied from Samsung or any Android OEM?  

williamlondonDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28

bageljoey said:
    There's no problem to solve because few people have need to fold their iPad in half to cram it into a smaller space.  It's a gimmick, and one that has been implemented poorly to date.  But implementing it well won't change the fact that no one needs a folding tablet.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Bleh. Would not buy one even if Apple made it. Anything that folds will wear out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Folding iPhone is a few years away. Practicality is an issue once and if Apple decides to release it

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    tshapitshapi Posts: 372member
    Foxconn would run pro type testing if they were the ones providing the screens through there acquisition of sharp. 

Also, it could be a leak designed to test how well received the idea is 

flydog said:
    Foxconn is testing secret iPhone prototypes?  This total bullshit.  Apple fabricates and tests all prototypes in house.  It doesn't need, nor would it ever, outsource "100,000 opening and closing tests."

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/25/11631290/inside-apples-secret-testing-labs-where-phones-are-bent-all-day-long

https://www.wired.com/2015/10/what-i-saw-inside-apples-top-secret-input-lab/

• Reply 12 of 28
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Doubt Apple will go through with it and if they do it may not be an iPhone.

Samsung thought it was an iPhone so they made a bendable iKnockoff with a 100% failure rate. No media circus though unlike when’s 14 iPhones bent in 2014(btw Samsung’s iKnockoffs bent at less pressure but they didn’t get the #BendGate hashtag).

Either way if Apple perfects their invention the usual iKnockoff morons will claim Apple copied the failed bendable iKnockoff. I mean these guys are THAT stupid.

cloudguy said:
    bageljoey said:
    "People" don't make fun of folding mobile devices. Apple fans do. They make fun of every idea and feature that Android OEMs develop first ... right up until Apple copies it. Another point where you are wrong: while the generation 1 Galaxy Fold had issues, the generation 1 Galaxy Flip - Samsung's second foldable - was good. The generation 2 Galaxy Fold and Galaxy Flip devices are by all accounts outstanding with the former far exceeding Samsung's sales goals. Now that Samsung has mastered the design and assembly process they are including a substantially cheaper Galaxy Fold (the best seller of the two devices despite costing $500 more) among third generation devices in 2021. By the time Apple releases their version in 2022, Samsung will be on generation 4 of these devices and generation 2 of the cheaper Fan Edition ones. 

Look, the idea that "it takes Apple to come along and get things right" is just something that Apple fans come up with to justify getting features years late. Samsung actually has a better mobile payments solution than Apple does because it includes both MST and NFC, making it work at every credit card terminal that stores don't software-block. Despite all the bombastic "air power" claims, wireless charging works the same for Apple devices as it does for Android ones. Apple gave their Apple TV set top box an app store years after Android (Google and Amazon) ones did the same, and it does nothing that they don't do. Apple's OLED screens: ditto, no different from Samsung's. Apple adopted larger screened phones years after Samsung and the rest did, but Samsung still has far more multitasking features to take advantage of the larger screens. And so on.

This will be the same. Apple will adopt this technology after Samsung will have spent 4 years using feedback from customers and app developers refining it (and buying the materials from Samsung that Apple needs to make it). Apple's own solution will only be "better" in the eyes of people who never used the Samsung version in the first place, including all those people who derive some satisfaction out of claiming to have been "a longtime loyal Android buyer who got frustrated, switched to Apple and found their devices much better" but then you ask them basic questions about the very same devices that you actually do or did own and they "respond" by calling you a deluded fanboy and Apple hater and then go quiet. 

Also, this is the result of long-range planning from Samsung. Samsung years ago saw that while their Note line was generating good sales, profit margins were low due to R&D costs and the devices having too many features. So they put a 3 prong plan in place.
    1. Make the Galaxy Note essentially the Galaxy S with a bigger screen and stylus.
    3. End the Galaxy Note line and make foldables their new premium phone.
    It took them 6 years but they have finally done it. In 2020 all of their phones that will feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 875/Exynos 2001 will have S Pen support and the Note line - which forced Apple to respond beginning with the iPhone 6 Plus - is no more. It will have been a great 10 year run for the second most influential smartphone in history behind the original iPhone. So much so that the current iPhone Mini actually has a bigger screen than the original Galaxy Note did!

So yeah, you can tell yourself that "Apple does other people's ideas better" but smartphone sales and Apple's own copying actions say otherwise.

People make fun of Samsung iKnockoffs because they FAIL MISERABLY at rushing crap to the market just to make morons think they invented something Apple had already been working years on.

No wonder Jony Ive said “that she not gonna work.” Before Samsung released their folding iPhone knockoff.

Galaxy Gear
    Galaxy Edge
    Galaxy Fold

ALL failures because common sense tells you if you rush products but you also do it because you don’t know it’s purpose except to beat a competitor, it will fail.

Don’t be surprised if we see a failed Galaxy Glasses or Galaxy Car with a 100% failure rate and exploding engine!

I also find it funny how when Apple made a large iPhone it was “just a giant iPod touch!” But when Samsung makes a slightly larger knockoff iPhone it’s suddenly “an invention”.

Yeah dude, I’m gonna make a 3 inch Apple Watch knockoff and claim it as an “invention”. 
    williamlondonlamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    cloudguy said:
    bageljoey said:
    "People" don't make fun of folding mobile devices. Apple fans do. They make fun of every idea and feature that Android OEMs develop first ... right up until Apple copies it.
    People make fun of bad products.  Period.  As bageljoey said, "I think the problem is that it hasn’t been done well yet.". I'm interested in the concept of a folding phone, but I'm not interested in any of the existing implementations of that concept. Also, before accusing Apple of "copying" anything, you should to a little research and you'll see that Apple has had patents on this as well for YEARS before Samsung, etc. every brought one to market. The difference is, Apple usually doesn't bring half-baked ideas to market as most of the Android OEMs do.
    cloudguy said:

Look, the idea that "it takes Apple to come along and get things right" is just something that Apple fans come up with to justify getting features years late. Samsung actually has a better mobile payments solution than Apple does because it includes both MST and NFC, making it work at every credit card terminal that stores don't software-block. 
    Actually, NFC is a funny example. Google just put the technology in the phone but literally didn't know what to do with it. Their "Wallet" was a joke. Apple had to show them how to properly implement a secure e-commerce system with ApplePay. That's the difference between iOS and Android. On Android, lots of raw technologies are thrown out in a rather haphazard fashion. With Apple, they implement features and use the appropriate technology for those features. Apple didn't just add NFC, they build a secure enclave in their chip, they built a proper payment system and they created ApplePay. Google had no choice but to abandon their garbage and copy Apple with Android Pay. The same with Touch ID. Sure, a really bad fingerprint scanner existed on the Motorola Attrix. It was garbage and it wasn't even secure. Of course no other Android OEM copied that feature. Not until Apple showed the industry how to get it right. Not only was their scanner far better, but was also secure. Want another example? How about FaceID. Sure, Android had versions that could easily be fooled by photographs. They were first right? (Despite this technology already existing in iPhoto). It wasn't until FaceID that used real depth mapping before we had an implementation that was secure enough for e-commerce. etc, etc.. The list goes on.
    cloudguy said:

What makes you think Apple would ever be dumb enough to put a stylus on a phone? Clearly, Apple has the technology and they've done a much better job of it with their iPad / pencil combination for years now. It's fine for a tablet but rather stupid for a phone. I don't see Apple changing their position on that, nor should they.
    williamlondonBeatstmaypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    xbitxbit Posts: 398member
    With every generation, Apple removes complexity and moving parts from the iPhone. A flip phone is so against that ethos. I can’t believe that this rumour is true.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    I agree with the ‘not being done well’ comment - personally I don’t see myself getting a folding phone, but that’s likely in no small part because I can’t see what I would need one for. If apple (or anyone else) came out with a well-designed folding phone as well as an operating system designed to work with it I may change my mind. Of course with the top of the line 12 pro max pushing $1500, the folding phone would probably be $2k. for that much money I’m thinking my Xs is working just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    flydog said:

bageljoey said:
    There's no problem to solve because few people have need to fold their iPad in half to cram it into a smaller space.  It's a gimmick, and one that has been implemented poorly to date.  But implementing it well won't change the fact that no one needs a folding tablet.
    I think the market will answer the question of how many people need a folding phone. 

Currently I'm not perceiving a lack of interest or sales. I actually saw my first folding phone the other day - on the bus. In the hands of someone who could have passed as a housewife. 

I'd love to fold my iPad Mini in half or fold open my current phone and run apps side by side, view photos on a bigger screen etc but prices are still to high for me. 

9secondkox2PascalxxGeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 28
    You know what happens to things that are bent over and over again? Yeah...they break.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I just don’t see the use case for this. 

A clamshell device is great because I does two things well: 

1) enables portability. 

2) protects the delicate insides

with a foldable that also has a screen on the outside, just handling the thing is a mess. 

And without a screen on the outside, it seems like you’re better off with a tablet. 

The galaxy fold opened up zero efficiency avenues, nor did it offer a path for moving computing forward. 

It simply (and problematically) folds. 

The Microsoft Duo isn’t a true foldable. It’s hinged like a laptop and is archaic in its design. Two small screen instead of one big screen. Basically a device that does nothing but take current computing backward. 

If Apple wants to create an Apple Watch thst folds a big screen around my wrist, that might be a decent use case. 

But with iPad, iPhone, and MacBook, just not seeing where a foldable comes in. No one wants our big hone screen to be divided into two little screens. And no one wants to fold their phone now. 

The one possibility would be giving the phone a ruggefized back and folding it to keep it safe from drops. But in reality, it just doesn’t seem like something that needs to happen. 

I’m sure Apple ID actively exploring use cases and prototyping. And it’s cool to have a folding screen just because. But as something that actually enhances users lives? We are far away from that. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

bageljoey said:
    I think the market will answer the question of how many people need a folding phone. 

Currently I'm not perceiving a lack of interest or sales. I actually saw my first folding phone the other day - on the bus. In the hands of someone who could have passed as a housewife. 

I'd love to fold my iPad Mini in half or fold open my current phone and run apps side by side, view photos on a bigger screen etc but prices are still to high for me. 

Why would you fold your iPad in half when you have a phone? Just use your phone when you want a smaller screen experience. Or just get the iPhone 12 pro max and have a great phone and a best of both worlds screen. 

As for running apps side by side, you do t need to have a folding device. You just need software that allows it. 
    pscooter63cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Sarkany said:
    You know what happens to things that are bent over and over again? Yeah...they break.
    Laws of nature arent going to be overcome by “hey, that’s cool!” 
    watto_cobra