Apple execs talk M1, chip specs versus real-world performance in interview

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's M1 chip was designed with actual real-world performance in mind and not the on paper specifications usually touted by chipmakers, according to a trio of Apple executives.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Software chief Craig Federighi, SVP of Worldwide Marketing Greg Joswiak and hardware SVP Johny Srouji, recently spoke to True Ventures partner and journalist Om Malik to explain how the Apple Silicon chip differs from its competitors.

For one, Federighi said that the specifications "typically bandied about in the industry" have stopped being a predictor of real-world performance.

"Architecturally, how many streams of 4k or 8k video can you process simultaneously while performing certain effects? That is the question video professionals want an answer to. No spec on the chip is going to answer that question for them," Federighi said.

Companies like Intel and AMD use metrics like gigahertz and power because they are primarily component makers, and can charge higher prices for higher specifications. Apple, as the executives explained, is different.

"We are a product company, and we built a beautiful product that has the tight integration of software and silicon," said Srouji. "It's not about the gigahertz and megahertz, but about what the customers are getting out of it."

Although the M1 chip is designed with compactness and performance in mind, it's able to do more than competing chipsets because of a higher-end, baked-in graphics engine and a universal memory architecture. The universal memory, for example, mitigates the need for data to move between the system bus -- something that's different from systems with a discrete GPU. That results in a lowered need for active cooling, higher memory, and more powerful chips to perform at ask.

"Most of the processing once upon a time was done on the CPU," Srouji said. "Now, there is lots of processing done on the CPU, the graphics and the Neural Engine, and the image signal processor."

And though the M1 machines currently occupy the lower-end of Apple's Mac spectrum, the three devices that were refreshed with Apple Silicon made up about 91% of Mac shipments in the past twelve months, Morgan Stanley estimates.

"It seems like some of these people were people who don't buy that part of our product line right now are eager for us to develop silicon to address the part of the product line that they're most passionate about," Federighi said. "You know that their day will come. But for now, the systems we're building are, in every way I can consider, superior to the ones they've replaced."

Additionally, the tight integration between hardware and software at Apple -- and the high level of cooperation between those two disparate teams -- allows the company to approach chip design in a different way.

"Being in a position for us to define together the right chip to build the computer we want to build and then build that exact chip at scale is a profound thing," Federighi said.

"I believe the Apple model is unique and the best model," Srouji said. "We're developing a custom silicon that is perfectly fit for the product and how the software will use it. When we design our chips, which are like three or four years ahead of time, Craig and I are sitting in the same room defining what we want to deliver, and then we work hand in hand. You cannot do this as an Intel or AMD or anyone else."
dewmepatchythepirateFLMusicwatto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rather than using a screen protector, has anyone tried a squirt of Craig’s hairspray?
    cornchipbikerdudemichelb76FileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 2 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Brilliant approach.

But but but.....
    "Apple is lying!"
    -iKnockoff morons

Why do I get the feeling that because Apple is focusing on real-world tasks, iKnockoff morons will now only compare specs. But what's the excuse when BOTH specs and real-world surpass all Windows virus machines and Samsungs knockoff Macbooks?
    doozydozenpatchythepirateBombdoeFLMusicwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    Wow, 91 percent covered by one SOC . That’s pretty good economies of scale. Especially if the M1 goes in the iPad Pro, too.

But what do they do for the other 9%? I gotta believe chiplet. If not that, then I’m super curious what else.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    The part where he lifted the lid to "prove" how fast it is - the most absurd way to demonstrate performance and you cannot even see anything when you open it, you have to use TouchID or enter passcode. And since when does it take a long time to wake? My Intel MacBook is pretty instant. The biggest issue is "switching" between accounts and even Big Sur doesn't seem to address it elegantly. 

• Reply 5 of 23
    netrox said:
    The part where he lifted the lid to "prove" how fast it is - the most absurd way to demonstrate performance and you cannot even see anything when you open it, you have to use TouchID or enter passcode.
    Seriously!? You must be a dinosaur. I can't remember when last I saw anybody type in an actual passcode to unlock a computer... even on a Windows PC (other than for a password change, when the network password expires). Just about everyone that I know has their Apple Watch linked to auto-unlock as soon as they get to their Mac. Even the Windows users in our office have their phone or watch linked to do the same using BlueTooth LE - it's not quite as slick as on a Mac, but it still beats typing out a long password every time you come back from the coffee machine, bathroom or meeting room... and you don't have to always remember to lock your computer each time you step away from it - especially for machines that do not have TouchID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Flytrap said:
    netrox said:
    The part where he lifted the lid to "prove" how fast it is - the most absurd way to demonstrate performance and you cannot even see anything when you open it, you have to use TouchID or enter passcode.
    Seriously!? You must be a dinosaur. I can't remember when last I saw anybody type in an actual passcode to unlock a computer... even on a Windows PC (other than for a password change, when the network password expires). Just about everyone that I know has their Apple Watch linked to auto-unlock as soon as they get to their Mac. Even the Windows users in our office have their phone or watch linked to do the same using BlueTooth LE - it's not quite as slick as on a Mac, but it still beats typing out a long password every time you come back from the coffee machine, bathroom or meeting room... and you don't have to always remember to lock your computer each time you step away from it - especially for machines that do not have TouchID.
    You’re hilarious. Wherever you are, you’re living in a privilege tech bro bubble. Do you work in a busy developer office? That’s not the rest of the world. The majority of people aren’t necessarily even interested in an Apple Watch, let alone set up with hardware from only the last two years.
    muthuk_vanalingammichelb76
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Beats said:
    Brilliant approach.

But but but.....
    "Apple is lying!"
    -iKnockoff morons

Why do I get the feeling that because Apple is focusing on real-world tasks, iKnockoff morons will now only compare specs. But what's the excuse when BOTH specs and real-world surpass all Windows virus machines and Samsungs knockoff Macbooks?
    Agree this is an excellent approach by Apple to explain what the M1 chip means -  that it's FAST. That approach came through in the commercial video they showed at the launch where the talking heads basically went "wow, this is really quick!!!"

It's exciting to see Apple silicon start off at such an impressive point. The roadmap for this is going to be amazing to watch.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    “When we design our chips, which are like three or four years ahead of time, Craig and I are sitting in the same room defining what we want to deliver, and then we work hand in hand.”
    It’s exciting to think that the M1 has been long in the making and that they are planning ahead four years. I wonder what the “M5” that they must be discussing now can do!
    Bombdoewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    netrox said:
    The part where he lifted the lid to "prove" how fast it is - the most absurd way to demonstrate performance and you cannot even see anything when you open it, you have to use TouchID or enter passcode. And since when does it take a long time to wake? My Intel MacBook is pretty instant. The biggest issue is "switching" between accounts and even Big Sur doesn't seem to address it elegantly. 

The Mac was probably unlocked by an Apple Watch. However, yes, iMac 5K does wake up instantaneously when I enter the passcode. My MBP takes a tad longer to open the passcode screen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    "...typically bandied about in the industry" have stopped being a predictor of real-world performance. Architecturally, how many streams of 4k or 8k video can you process simultaneously while performing certain effects? That is the question video professionals want an answer to. No spec on the chip is going to answer that question for them," Federighi said.

I hate marketing. I hate disingenuousness and marketing. However, I can’t disagree with this.

The forum formatting functions suck, here, by the way. 
  • Reply 11 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rather than using a screen protector, has anyone tried a squirt of Craig’s hairspray?
    Are you dissing Craig's hair helmet? Could be worse, like walking around with a Tribble carcass perched on your head...  :p
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I have no idea why I didn't realize this before. The Apple M1 chip is crushing the Intel chips it replaced because:

MacBook Air: dual core Intel Core i3 versus seven core Apple M1
    Mac Mini: quad core Intel Core i5 versus octacore Apple M1
    MacBook Pro: see Mac Mini

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/317304-benchmark-results-show-apple-m1-beating-every-intel-powered-macbook-pro

Now when we compare octacore chip versus octacore chip the results get interesting. 

M1: 1687 single-core and 7433 multi-core
    Intel Core i7: 
    1149 single-core and 7329 multi-core

Keep in mind: this is a 5nm chip versus a 14nm one. What is going to happen when Intel releases 10nm octacore chips? Or 7nm ones? 10nm Intel hexacore and octacore CPUs will arrive in 2021. So, right now Apple's advantages are primarily due to achieving an octacore low power low heat design. When Intel gets to 7nm - which they could do as early as 2022 by getting TSMC and Samsung to manufacture the chips - they will have the same.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    cloudguy said:
    I have no idea why I didn't realize this before. The Apple M1 chip is crushing the Intel chips it replaced because:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/317304-benchmark-results-show-apple-m1-beating-every-intel-powered-macbook-pro

Now when we compare octacore chip versus octacore chip the results get interesting. 

Intel Core i7: 1149 single-core and 7329 multi-core

Keep in mind: this is a 5nm chip versus a 14nm one. What is going to happen when Intel releases 10nm octacore chips? Or 7nm ones? 10nm Intel hexacore and octacore CPUs will arrive in 2021. So, right now Apple's advantages are primarily due to achieving an octacore low power low heat design. When Intel gets to 7nm - which they could do as early as 2022 by getting TSMC and Samsung to manufacture the chips - they will have the same.
    Not sure why you've emphasized the multicore aspects here because it's the single threaded comparisons that represent the most impressive performance gains for the M1. Multicore (and multithreaded) performance is always limited by the degree of parallelization possible in the problems you're trying to solve, as well as the size of the problem, what are typically referred to as SIMD problems. Look up Amdahl's Law. 

One thing that multicore definitely buys you, as Craig mentions, is the ability to do more work concurrently by utilizing multiple cores, what are typically referred to as MIMD problems. This isn't something that most benchmarks reveal when they talk about speedup. But again, as Craig mentions, their focus is on helping customers solve more problems and get more work done in the real world when using a Mac - not running synthetic benchmarks.
    edited November 2020 MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Flytrap said:
    netrox said:
    I have my Apple Watch linked to my iMac and MacBook Pro. It works to unlock them maybe about half of the time, and even then it’s often quicker to use a password.  So yeah, I end up entering a password quite often. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    netrox said:
    The part where he lifted the lid to "prove" how fast it is...

TOTALLY absurd if that's what you think motivated the moment.

How about branding and status as motivators instead? What's the only obvious difference between M1 Macs and Intel Macs?

Bingo!

M1s light up INSTANTLY letting everyone know that this is an M1. M1, take a bow and do your 'sunrise' thing (See millions of ad impressions and videos.).

PS - Apple famously did this with the White iPod earphone cables whose visuals were central to their ad campaign.

edited November 2020 watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 16 of 23
    cloudguy said:

Intel Core i7: 1149 single-core and 7329 multi-core

Are you really serious? This smells like troll bait...

Why indeed look carefully for what Apple put to market now? Intel may offer something similar in 2 years time! It’s not like Intel has been walking back its proposed roadmap for years now, have it?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Pascalxx said:
    “When we design our chips, which are like three or four years ahead of time, Craig and I are sitting in the same room defining what we want to deliver, and then we work hand in hand.”
    It’s exciting to think that the M1 has been long in the making and that they are planning ahead four years. I wonder what the “M5” that they must be discussing now can do!
    Single handedly run starship combat trials? :wink: 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 18 of 23
    dysamoria said:
    Flytrap said:
    netrox said:
    You’re hilarious. Wherever you are, you’re living in a privilege tech bro bubble. Do you work in a busy developer office? That’s not the rest of the world. The majority of people aren’t necessarily even interested in an Apple Watch, let alone set up with hardware from only the last two years.
    I agree with you that now everyone can afford or are interested in an Apple Watch or Smartphone that will lock/unlock their computer.  But, the hardware to do this has been around for > 5 years, not only the last two years.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    dysamoria said:
    Flytrap said:
    netrox said:
    Actually you’re hilarious... if you think Apple caters to or even cares about “the rest of the world”.

Apple customers - or the Mac customers at least - generally speaking are actually mostly living in what you’re calling a “privilege tech pro bubble.” Most of the world has PC’s. Only a small fraction of the world has Macs and only a fraction of those get new ones regularly. So yeah - for the people this M1 fast wake feature is targeted at, there’s a good chance most of them (even though not the rest of the world) have Apple Watches. 

To put it another way...

The kinds of people who aren’t interested in an Apple Watch (like the ones you’re referring to) are the kinds of people who don’t care for the benefits one provides - one of which is quickly unlocking your Mac. If you don’t care about quickly unlocking your Mac then you won’t care about that particular feature of the M1 Macs. And unsurprisingly I hope, that particular feature isn’t marketed towards those people.  

However, the kinds of people who do care about their Macs unlocking faster are likely to be people who bought an Apple Watch (as opposed to any other smart watch) at least in part for that feature.  A stretch?  No think about it. They’re the same kinds of people who care about some of the other features the Apple Watch provides over competing smart watches - because most of THOSE features are the ones that integrate with other Apple devices (just like the fast unlock integration feature). And most or at least many of those kinds of people - like the poster you’re replying to, plus myself, plus a large percentage of the large number of people who have bought Apple watches (the numbers speak for themselves there) - are the kinds of people who will appreciate their Macs waking up as fast as their iPads instead of the few seconds it currently takes - even with the Apple Watch unlocking it for them. 

As evidenced by a few of your other posts, and like a few other people around here, you just don’t get Apple’s market or customers. If you keep coming at these forums without getting that Apple customers really aren’t part of “the rest of the world” then Apple will continue to make as little sense to you as your posts show Apple currently does. You might try understanding what Apple is actually about (especially in their Mac market) and how that’s actually pretty different to everyone else. 
  • Reply 20 of 23
    netrox said:

Ummm... riiiiight... He wasn’t demoing performance with that. He was demoing that one specific feature - the fast wake. So actually what’s absurd is the part where you didn’t seem to get that. 

Then also, if you’re saying your Mac wakes (to the password screen if not unlocked by an Apple Watch or Touch ID) as fast as your iPhone or iPad you’re either lying or you’ve got something pretty special going on there.  Most Macs still take a few seconds. Which might not seem like much but when I use my iPad for a while and switch to my Mac and it takes those few seconds longer (than I’ve gotten used to with the iPad) it feels like an eternity. This fast wake feature is very welcome.