Apple's new M1 graphics work makes resolution shifts instantaneous

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    MacPro said:
    I am trying to imagine what Apple already has underway for the next step in the M class SoCs.  It also occurs to me that Apple added the M1 to existing designs but looking inside the Mac mini for example shows it could be far smaller, what new design concepts has Apple up its sleeve? Think about it, an Apple Keyboard could be the entire computer!

Apple has basically started the end of the computer as we know it.  Imagine what else an M1 board could slip into.  Imagine how much more an M class chip could hold in the way of component parts or variations thereof.  The traditional PC, i.e. motherboard and various parts will be obsolete in a matter of years. 
    Keyboard is the computer? Siinclair did that in 1980. 😁
    williamlondonwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:
    don. said:
    Wow. I have 6 external displays for work via daisy-chained USB-C docks. Whenever I reboot it will occasionally swap them around putting the top on the bottom and swapping left and right. If you mouse to the screen on the right it ends up on the left. That little display changing flicker is worse than you think. There's also the app resize refresh that takes several seconds to work through before finally the buttons on the arrangement tab adjust. If you try to move a screen arrangement before it's done it will immediately cut off your mouse drag and put the screen right back inducing another round of the flicker. It took me a while to figure out the timing of the refresh and the visual changes to know when it's safe to try a screen move. Before that it was an excruciating exercise in try try try again.  

From what I've read it seems the current M1 can't handle this setup. Hopefully when the full sized MBPs come out I might be able to flip my screen layout in under 10 seconds it's currently a over a minute with carefully optimized movements and timing.  2019 MBP 32GB i9.
    Six monitors? 

What the f**k are you doing?

Video work?
    Music?
    Mission Control for SpaceX?
    Fact-checking Trump’s tweets?
    It’s called bragging, look at me, I’m above you all.
    williamlondonkingofsomewherehotwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 37
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    don. said:
    Wow. I have 6 external displays for work via daisy-chained USB-C docks. Whenever I reboot it will occasionally swap them around putting the top on the bottom and swapping left and right. If you mouse to the screen on the right it ends up on the left. That little display changing flicker is worse than you think. There's also the app resize refresh that takes several seconds to work through before finally the buttons on the arrangement tab adjust. If you try to move a screen arrangement before it's done it will immediately cut off your mouse drag and put the screen right back inducing another round of the flicker. It took me a while to figure out the timing of the refresh and the visual changes to know when it's safe to try a screen move. Before that it was an excruciating exercise in try try try again.  

From what I've read it seems the current M1 can't handle this setup. Hopefully when the full sized MBPs come out I might be able to flip my screen layout in under 10 seconds it's currently a over a minute with carefully optimized movements and timing.  2019 MBP 32GB i9.
    Six monitors? 

Video work?
    Music?
    You got me. Moar monitors = moar virtuous. 
    I do need them though. Information security. Everyone from the SOC has a minimum of 4 screens, 6 is a bit much but it really helps research CVEs and run tests on disparate systems and VMs. Refresh rate is crap tho, but it's mostly text not playing Crysis.
    williamlondonDavid H Dennisalexonlinewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Rayz2016 said:

Right, are they saying that's it for new Intel-based hardware?
    Well, if you put yourself in their shoes, would you want to introduce new models distinctly inferior in nearly every way to what you've already introduced in Apple Silicon?

That would feel like an embarrassment, for sure.

I'm kinda shocked how many people there are out there using Windows on a Mac.  I guess it makes sense because buying a Mac gives you a great Unix machine to work on your web sites while still giving you the commercial software of a more or less mainstream environment.  But I never really thought of being able to run Windows as that big a deal.  Getting Parallels and a Windows license is about the same cost as buying a new low-end Windows machine, and that gives you the full masochistic Windows experience that people who use your software receive.

I'm curious, why are people talking about Brew being in a difficult state during the transition?  Doesn't Brew download and compile from source?  I would think that would work on the new machines pretty much by definition.
    watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 25 of 37
    can't find compelling news on integrating Mx-chips into MacBook Pros @ 15-inches+? Early Winter/Spring 2021? (also please 4TB SSD) and under $5k.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Rayz2016 said:

Right, are they saying that's it for new Intel-based hardware?
    I'm curious, why are people talking about Brew being in a difficult state during the transition?  Doesn't Brew download and compile from source?  I would think that would work on the new machines pretty much by definition.
    There's a list of issues on one of their developer pages:

https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/issues/7857

Major blockers
    - Set up ARM-based CI infrastructure
    - Have Homebrew’s CI build arm64_big_sur bottles
    - go (waiting for upstream version 1.16)
    - rust (waiting for upstream version 1.49 or backport to 1.47/1.48)
    - ghc (help wanted)
    - qt (help wanted)
    - openjdk (waiting for upstream version 16; work in progress to integrate OpenJDK 16 preview as stop-gap)
    - gcc (work in progress, see #7857 (comment))

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=96168

The compilers haven't all been ported over yet, nor homebrew itself. For now, people have to run a duplicate terminal in Rosetta mode and run everything in x86 translation.

This also affects some scientific computing libraries, here they try to use the clang compiler:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/17807

It'll just take a while for developers to get things sorted out, some software might be abandoned if it is too much effort to port but the popular stuff will likely be ported over.
    David H Denniswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    MplsP said:

Rayz2016 said:
    don. said:

Six monitors? 

Video work?
    Music?
    that would take more than 6 monitors...
    30 monitors for Biden’s stump speeches.

At least one of them was directionally true (and that isn’t Biden). 
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 37
    MisterKit said:
    I am getting the feeling that Apple just pulled a few years ahead of the competition. These Macs are beasts and they will only get better. 2021 should be an interesting year.
    I get the exact opposite feeling. You people think there's some sort of magic involved in all of this when it's a tightly coupled control of hardware and software they don't give access to third parties. Also, this 12 years in development product has gone through dozens of revisions in-house none of you seem to think took the time it took to reach this point.

Nothing Apple has done is ahead of the competition. 

The biggest surprise in this industry has always been Microsoft's refusal to develop their own CPUs along with their OS, Apps and Development Tools. They would rather be the software to everyone's hardware long after Bill has retired.

2021 will see a lot of augmentation in AMD first and later Intel. What I know personally from friends at Intel is they're in a huge shake up and the fact they sat on their ass for the better part of the past decade is the largest case of hubris since IBM's glory days.

Apple has a long road ahead for a fully scalable architecture to be at the level of a Mac Pro and they know it. They are years away from it. The problem is the rest of the industry is also making the transition to FPGAs and more integrated specialty cores. Apple isn't unique in this at all.

For instance, within a month of announcing the merger of Xilinx with AMD they have already released a beta of Xilinx's FPGA hardware accessible within post ROCm 4.0 released this past month and native kernel support in Linux for Xilinx FPGAs out of the box.

That tells me the merger and development has been in the works for the past 18-24 months. 

None of you seem to have a clue that Intel is not Apple's benchmark for the future. It's AMD and it's never going to match them. Apple has no plans of matching them either. They are focused on disposable/recyclable consumer products on a 12-18 months refresh.

The Macbook Air/Macbook Semi-Pro 13 neither are upgradable and are their first forays into disposable and future leased hardware. It's a disgusting future that they believe like the Subscription Model of Software the world will just fall in line. They'll expand their profit margins which is great for my stock portfolio but they are abandoning a lot of their potential in other markets that require much more power intensive computation requirements and thus professional level products.

On the plus side, I see the M series eventually becoming products integrated into EVs.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 37
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    sully54 said:
    Crazy how far we’ve come. I still remember a time when changing resolution settings required a reboot. 
    i remember a time when i could have multiple resolutions happening on the same monitor at the same time on different applications - sliding them up and down so you could see both and switching between apps in different resolutions instantly - all without changing any settings.

doubt many here even know what computer and OS i am talking about. However there were things it could do that even a 2020 mac still can’t.
    The other person who responded to you was right about what monitors can do but didn’t know what your computer could do.  You had an Amiga. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    MisterKit said:
    I am getting the feeling that Apple just pulled a few years ahead of the competition. These Macs are beasts and they will only get better. 2021 should be an interesting year.
    I get the exact opposite feeling. You people think there's some sort of magic involved in all of this when it's a tightly coupled control of hardware and software they don't give access to third parties. Also, this 12 years in development product has gone through dozens of revisions in-house none of you seem to think took the time it took to reach this point.

The biggest surprise in this industry has always been Microsoft's refusal to develop their own CPUs along with their OS, Apps and Development Tools. They would rather be the software to everyone's hardware long after Bill has retired.

2021 will see a lot of augmentation in AMD first and later Intel. What I know personally from friends at Intel is they're in a huge shake up and the fact they sat on their ass for the better part of the past decade is the largest case of hubris since IBM's glory days.

Apple has a long road ahead for a fully scalable architecture to be at the level of a Mac Pro and they know it. They are years away from it. The problem is the rest of the industry is also making the transition to FPGAs and more integrated specialty cores. Apple isn't unique in this at all.

For instance, within a month of announcing the merger of Xilinx with AMD they have already released a beta of Xilinx's FPGA hardware accessible within post ROCm 4.0 released this past month and native kernel support in Linux for Xilinx FPGAs out of the box.

That tells me the merger and development has been in the works for the past 18-24 months. 

None of you seem to have a clue that Intel is not Apple's benchmark for the future. It's AMD and it's never going to match them. Apple has no plans of matching them either. They are focused on disposable/recyclable consumer products on a 12-18 months refresh.

The Macbook Air/Macbook Semi-Pro 13 neither are upgradable and are their first forays into disposable and future leased hardware. It's a disgusting future that they believe like the Subscription Model of Software the world will just fall in line. They'll expand their profit margins which is great for my stock portfolio but they are abandoning a lot of their potential in other markets that require much more power intensive computation requirements and thus professional level products.

On the plus side, I see the M series eventually becoming products integrated into EVs.
    What a weird post, bordering on vindictive and irrationally negative. 

99.99% of users do not CARE about being to upgrade their machines, an aspect which most of your post focuses on. It's something that techies always knock Apple for, but the market as spoken loudly about this, and it's that it is not a factor in their purchasing decisions. Nor should it be, frankly. For the vast majority, upgradeable machines offer little benefit. Today's Apple products have a very long lifespan, both hardware and software. Makes more sense to replace the entire machine after several years, since every single facet would have improved by then. But the fact that you categorize this as "disposable" is weird. I've never had an Apple product that has died on me, before I have chosen to replace it with a better version. They definitely do not make "disposable" products, in any sense of the word, and definitely in relation to the competition. If anything, they're the LEAST disposable, considering how long they support iOS products through software upgrades. 
    williamlondonroakemacpluspluswatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 31 of 37
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    lkrupp said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    don. said:

Six monitors? 

Video work?
    Music?
    He made a good observation and comparison that showed how the M1 Macs are indeed superior. If he was bragging he’s probably have led with how important his work was, not just a detailed description of how his current setup can be a chore.
    watto_cobrarundhvid
  • Reply 32 of 37
    razorpit said:
    MisterKit said:
    Yep, I think they nailed it for their consumer base. Need to work on some things for the professional users, interested in what 2021 has to offer.
    It really is crazy how well this is going. 

These are basically Apples Core i5 competitors and they are successfully competing with i9 processors. 

So Apples low end tier is pro level now. 

And if that’s anything to go by, apples pro gear is going to hurt some serious feelings in not a small way. 

Low power, efficiency chips doing what they are doing... I can only imagine what happens in a 16 inch MBP or even more do in a redesigned iMac with far greater thermal overhead and power utilization ceiling. Not to mention have all cores (whether that be 8,16, etc) dedicated to performance. 

As it is, the M1 has HALF of its cores dedicated to efficiency. Not power. And it’s posting the kind of performance we’d never expect from an efficiency-centric chip. 

Can’t wait for the power mongers. 

Sheesh. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MisterKit said:

EMERGENCY SERVICES! LET ME THROUGH! GIMME ROOM, PEOPLE!

You get the opposite feeling because you can’t get over the fact you called this wrong, really wrong, and now seem personally aggrieved that Apple didn’t go with AMD as you predicted they would.

“You people” don’t think this is magic, we people think this is hard work, billions of dollars, and the worst-kept secret in the industry, which you somehow managed to miss, even with your spurious claims of inside knowledge.
    edited November 2020 Xed
  • Reply 34 of 37
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Rayz2016 said:
    MisterKit said:

EMERGENCY SERVICES! LET ME THROUGH! GIMME ROOM, PEOPLE!

You get the opposite feeling because you can’t get over the fact you called this wrong, really wrong, and now seem personally aggrieved that Apple didn’t go with AMD as you predicted they would.

“You people” don’t think this is magic, we people think this is hard work, billions of dollars, and the worst-kept secret in the industry, which you somehow managed to miss, even with your spurious claims of inside knowledge.
    Yep. Clever and talented people working very hard.

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/1331735383193903104
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 35 of 37
    sully54 said:
    Crazy how far we’ve come. I still remember a time when changing resolution settings required a reboot. 
    i remember a time when i could have multiple resolutions happening on the same monitor at the same time on different applications - sliding them up and down so you could see both and switching between apps in different resolutions instantly - all without changing any settings.

doubt many here even know what computer and OS i am talking about. However there were things it could do that even a 2020 mac still can’t.
    The good old Commodore Amiga.
    And yes folks, this is/was possible natively when using native resolutions.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    sully54 said:
    Not on a Mac. Ever. 
  • Reply 37 of 37
    MacPro said:
    It also occurs to me that Apple added the M1 to existing designs but looking inside the Mac mini for example shows it could be far smaller, what new design concepts has Apple up its sleeve? Think about it, an Apple Keyboard could be the entire computer!

Oh, so you’re thinking like me. Apple is trying to bring back the Amiga. 😂