Sony rolling out Apple TV app on 2020, 2019, and select 2018 televisions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Sony is now rolling out the Apple TV app to its entire 2020 TV lineup, with the app also arriving on most of the 2019 lineup and select 2018 models.

Credit: Sony
Credit: Sony

Initially promised in 2019, Sony first introduced the Apple TV app to its Sony X900H series in October and promised to do the same to its 2020, 2019, and 2018 by the end of the year.

In firmware update v6.4960, Sony is making good on that promise for all of its 2020 Android TV models, most 2019 models, and a pair of high-end 2018 smart TVs, according to Flatpanels HD. The firmware update is currently rolling out in Europe, and is "coming soon" to the North American market.

The Apple TV app won't arrive on the 2019 AG8, XG83, XG81 and XG80 models at this time, the site notes. It will, however, arrive on the AF9/A9F and ZF9/Z9F models from 2018.

Sony also confirmed that the Apple TV app on their platform supports 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos streaming on compatible hardware. The firmware update also contains a streamlined user interface, various bug fixes, and HDMI 2.1 4K120 support for the ZG9/Z9G model.

In October, Sony also rolled out the app to its PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles.

The Apple TV app allows users to view Apple TV+ content and content purchased via iTunes, as well as a number of third-party streaming services like HBO and Showtime.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Will the underlying Android OS on Sony Smart TVs be able to inform Sony's HQ on the Internet what users are watching inside the Apple TV app? I really don't know.
    watto_cobraBeats
  • Reply 2 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Will the underlying Android OS on Sony Smart TVs be able to inform Sony's HQ on the Internet what users are watching inside the Apple TV app? I really don't know.
    Of course it will be able to, just like iOS is able to inform Apple HQ what users are watching in Netflix.  Whether it actually will is a different question.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have a 2019 Z9F that will qualify and a Sony 4k player that will probably end up with it too, but I use my AppleTV 4k as the hub for all my streaming. I like everything about it. I guess if you don't have an AppleTV, this is yet another great step for Apple in deploying their AppleTV experience across more devices.

At this point, Apple, Sony, whoever....assume you're being mined on some level by all whether for internal analytics, flat out profit or whatever.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    crowley said:
    Of course it will be able to, just like iOS is able to inform Apple HQ what users are watching in Netflix.  Whether it actually will is a different question.
    That's a good response. I guess the difference is I trust Apple a fair bit. I haven't established any trust in Sony yet.
    edited November 2020 williamlondonBeats
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Slipping past the line again with the AF9...

First HomeKit and AirPlay 2 - now the app. 

Thank you Sony - genuinely appreciate the love on this. Pricey TV but it’s been flawless and will continue to be useful and functional with these updates for many years
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    If Apple doesn't release an M1 Apple TV soon then what reason is there to have an Apple TV anymore? Barely any. This is iTunes on Android.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    If Apple doesn't release an M1 Apple TV soon then what reason is there to have an Apple TV anymore? Barely any. This is iTunes on Android.
    What difference would an M1 make?