Hewlett Packard Enterprise leaving Silicon Valley, moving to Texas

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    FYI: large cities like Houston aren't the Republican strongholds in Texas. 
    SpamSandwichmdriftmeyer
  • Reply 22 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    flydog said:
    razorpit said:
    Only problem is the company will pull all the people that made the same bad governmental decisions in CA to TX. Eventually Texas will eventually end up ruined like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, etc.
    Texas is a shithole, and no one wants to live there, which is precisely why housing is so cheap. When it becomes more like California it will be because people want to live there and drive up prices, not because of "bad governmental decisions."  
    Stop, you’re just making yourself look foolish. Renting a 26’ U-haul from Silicon Valley to Austin, Tx $5,365. Going the opposite direction, $1,084. Do I need to explain to you why those numbers work the way they do?

Where do you live? Punch the numbers in yourself then you can come back and tell us how ignorant you are.
    neoncat said:
    Texas has some interesting ideas about tax rebates for business—some of the most generous in the entire country. It's a no-brainer to relocate there if you can pull talent. Austin is an interesting and diverse city, lots of viewpoints and ideas (and Apple has a huge presence there). Houston is genuinely not terrible either, really, outside of its weird (read: non-existent) zoning laws. Hope you like a factory moving in next door. I've traveled to Houston a lot for business (well, used to) and found I didn't hate it as much as I expected I would.

But talking about a state like Colorado as "ruined" is pretty funny, given the concentration of wealth and entrepreneurship here. My home state of Wisconsin, tho... now there's a backwater. I have no desire to ever return. Beautiful scenery, especially up north, but culturally... scary place. 
    Colorado is on the path of Wisconsin. Both are beautiful states, but government had nothing to do with that. That’s all on God.
    flydog said:
    razorpit said:
    Only problem is the company will pull all the people that made the same bad governmental decisions in CA to TX. Eventually Texas will eventually end up ruined like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, etc.
    Texas is a shithole, and no one wants to live there, which is precisely why housing is so cheap. When it becomes more like California it will be because people want to live there and drive up prices, not because of "bad governmental decisions."  
    Exactly. Fortunately there is an upside, all of these people moving to Texas will make its conversion to from a Red to Blue state all that much faster! That's what happened in Georgia and we're seeing the same in other Red states.
    Wow, never bothered to ask yourself why they are leaving? You are literally talking about stepping in dogsh*t in your front yard and to clean it off your shoe you slide it all over your sidewalk and driveway and congratulate yourself on a job well done. (San Francisco crowd, insert human feces and you’ll have an idea of what I’m talking about.)
    GG1SpamSandwichcat52randominternetperson
  • Reply 23 of 33

flydog said:
    razorpit said:
    When Trump used those opening words about a third world country, the Dems called him a racist. Et tu?

And on the face of it these words don't make sense. People are leaving California because of the high taxes. And the taxes are high mostly because of California's trillion dollar pension obligations. As a result, California will have to raise taxes higher, resulting in a vicious circle and potentially the inability for California to pay its debts. Whereas Texas will get more young workers who pay taxes resulting in a better economy and tax base for them. The economy and population of Texas is growing, so it's hard to believe the claim above that "Texas will be ruined."

The good news is that California isn't the worst state for funding its pensions. It's only the sixth worst. I didn't mention bankruptcy because it's not at all clear that California will go bankrupt, and also because bankruptcy isn't a legal option. Federal Bankruptcy Code prohibits US States from declaring bankruptcy, although the Bankruptcy Code could be modified. However the US Supreme Court supersedes even Congressional Law, and in 1977 the Supreme Court said, "a state cannot refuse to meet its legitimate financial obligations simply because it would prefer to spend the money to promote the public good rather than the private welfare of its creditors." It would be difficult understanding how a State Bankruptcy would be overseen... would someone in the US Government manage the State's budget, laws and taxes? The US Supreme Court says States are Sovereign and cannot be run by a Federal agent. I would think that if a US State modified its constitution to allow a Federal Takeover, that would permit the Feds to run the State.

I'm not an American so I have no stake in this debate. But I do relish all constitutional crises because they tend to find solutions that answer difficult questions.
    Sadly you understand it much better than most Americans. At least on this site.
    SpamSandwichcat52jasenj1
  • Reply 24 of 33
    steven n. said:
    razorpit said:
    In AZ, it’s like watching a slow train wreck. 
    What are you guys talking about?  Seriously, can you provide examples?
    The population of each of those states is trending politically Left because of the massive flight of people and businesses from California. Heck, even incredibly popular pothead podcaster Joe Rogan moved to Texas, but for years large corporate headquarters have been leaving California. I see it all the time here.

https://calmatters.org/california-divide/2020/01/not-the-golden-state-anymore-middle-and-low-income-people-leaving-california/
    edited December 2020 cat52razorpitentropys
  • Reply 25 of 33
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    razorpit said:

flydog said:
    razorpit said:
    When Trump used those opening words about a third world country, the Dems called him a racist. Et tu?

And on the face of it these words don't make sense. People are leaving California because of the high taxes. And the taxes are high mostly because of California's trillion dollar pension obligations. As a result, California will have to raise taxes higher, resulting in a vicious circle and potentially the inability for California to pay its debts. Whereas Texas will get more young workers who pay taxes resulting in a better economy and tax base for them. The economy and population of Texas is growing, so it's hard to believe the claim above that "Texas will be ruined."

The good news is that California isn't the worst state for funding its pensions. It's only the sixth worst. I didn't mention bankruptcy because it's not at all clear that California will go bankrupt, and also because bankruptcy isn't a legal option. Federal Bankruptcy Code prohibits US States from declaring bankruptcy, although the Bankruptcy Code could be modified. However the US Supreme Court supersedes even Congressional Law, and in 1977 the Supreme Court said, "a state cannot refuse to meet its legitimate financial obligations simply because it would prefer to spend the money to promote the public good rather than the private welfare of its creditors." It would be difficult understanding how a State Bankruptcy would be overseen... would someone in the US Government manage the State's budget, laws and taxes? The US Supreme Court says States are Sovereign and cannot be run by a Federal agent. I would think that if a US State modified its constitution to allow a Federal Takeover, that would permit the Feds to run the State.

I'm not an American so I have no stake in this debate. But I do relish all constitutional crises because they tend to find solutions that answer difficult questions.
    Interestingly, I can never tell in advance when a response to my post will be positive, like yours (thanks), or something like this: "your comment is so moronic it doesn't deserve a response," which I got a couple of days ago.
    cat52
  • Reply 26 of 33
    razorpit said:

flydog said:
    razorpit said:

Interestingly, I can never tell in advance when a response to my post will be positive, like yours (thanks), or something like this: "your comment is so moronic it doesn't deserve a response," which I got a couple of days ago.
    I din't think you are referring to me exclusively, but there was something the other day I didn't agree with you on. Can't remember what it was now, but contrary to what some may think, I don't hold grudges.

It's a sign of a healthy relationship to have disagreements, on things, unless you are discussing facts. Sadly there are some on here that are so off base, nothing is going to help them.  :D  That's what scares me with the recent censorship issues on social media. That's not healthy behavior. That's what famous dictators of the past and present did/done.

As some one else (I think in this thread) already said, I'm happy we can have these discussions. sometimes I learn from them and sometimes I teach. Hope others can keep things "in-check"so we get to keep them going.
    cat52
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Rayz2016 said:
    DRB said:
    designr said:
    razorpit said:
    THat's exactly what's happening in Colorado. Bail out of California. Come bid up housing in Colorado. Then start re-creating CA at the political level.  :'(
    Actually, I can't think of anything good the Republicans have done when CA had a Republican Governor..  Reagan shut down mental hospitals to save money and all it did was put mentally ill patients on the streets.   Way to improve California..  

Mmmmm.  The Conservatives did the same thing here. They called it ‘Care in the Community’.  

As I remember, it led to a number of ex-patients killing people. 

For those that don’t remember (or may not have been adults following the news during the time period—I’m old (: ), the reason for the increase in mentally ill homeless on the streets was not principally a political decision. It was the result of a series of Supreme Court rulings from 1971-1982 that holding that involuntary civil commital and confinement was a violation of the 14th amendment. Those decisions resulted in the release of essentially everyone that wanted to go, was not a danger to themselves, and capable of surviving on their own. See Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Supreme_Court_cases_involving_mental_health, under civil commitment, for a nice summary. 

That said, and back to the topic, happy to see companies leaving California irrespective the potential effect on destination political climes. Perhaps CA, and other states, will get the idea that taxation and regulation to death are not good for the economic environment.  Companies are following the manufacturing model. If labor, living, and regulation make it cheaper to operate elsewhere, companies go there especially when there is a available skilled pool of talent or talent can be induced to move. 

Personally, given the humidity and the potential for flooding in a large part of Houston, I’d rather not work there either. 
    edited December 2020 cat52
  • Reply 28 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Don’t know if it is a manufacturing model. More like basic economics. Otherwise you are right.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Moving the HQ. BFD.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    wg45678 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    DRB said:
    designr said:
    razorpit said:
    THat's exactly what's happening in Colorado. Bail out of California. Come bid up housing in Colorado. Then start re-creating CA at the political level.  :'(
    Actually, I can't think of anything good the Republicans have done when CA had a Republican Governor..  Reagan shut down mental hospitals to save money and all it did was put mentally ill patients on the streets.   Way to improve California..  

Mmmmm.  The Conservatives did the same thing here. They called it ‘Care in the Community’.  

As I remember, it led to a number of ex-patients killing people. 

For those that don’t remember (or may not have been adults following the news during the time period—I’m old (: ), the reason for the increase in mentally ill homeless on the streets was not principally a political decision. It was the result of a series of Supreme Court rulings from 1971-1982 that holding that involuntary civil commital and confinement was a violation of the 14th amendment. Those decisions resulted in the release of essentially everyone that wanted to go, was not a danger to themselves, and capable of surviving on their own. See Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Supreme_Court_cases_involving_mental_health, under civil commitment, for a nice summary. 

That said, and back to the topic, happy to see companies leaving California irrespective the potential effect on destination political climes. Perhaps CA, and other states, will get the idea that taxation and regulation to death are not good for the economic environment.  Companies are following the manufacturing model. If labor, living, and regulation make it cheaper to operate elsewhere, companies go there especially when there is a available skilled pool of talent or talent can be induced to move. 

Personally, given the humidity and the potential for flooding in a large part of Houston, I’d rather not work there either. 
    Aruba HQ is moving from San Antonio to take over HPE's San Jose HQ. HPE aren't moving their R&D.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/newsroom/blog-post/2020/12/deeper-in-the-heart-of-texas-hpe-to-move-headquarters-to-the-houston-metro.html

Maintaining Silicon Valley presence as strategic hub for HPE innovation

We aren’t leaving Silicon Valley, a region inextricably linked to our rich history and heritage since Bill and Dave founded Hewlett Packard. Our San Jose campus will remain a hub for technological talent and innovation.

Notably, San Jose will become the new headquarters for our Aruba Intelligent Edge business. The explosion of devices, applications and data at the edge continues to drive demand for secure connectivity, and through our Aruba business, we are uniquely positioned to take advantage of the $39 billion edge market opportunity, which the pandemic has only accelerated with the need for digital workplace solutions.
    They're swapping out one of their other businesses, Aruba, from San Antonio into San Jose. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    flydog said:
    razorpit said:
    I do not know all that much about Texas, but it’s the arrogant, condescending, look-down-on-your-nose tripe from CA types such as yourself (and the people who agree with you) that puts your state low down - way low down -  on the list of any place to which I’d like to move. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Pathetic to see that the usual gang of political crappers are back.