Apple service documents suggest new hardware release coming on Dec. 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    JinTech said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    Apple said new intel macs later this year. So likely they will update the Macbook Pro 16 with 10th-gen intel processor like they did with iMac 27 2020.
    Where did Apple specifically say they were releasing new Macs with Intel?
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/22/intel-says-it-support-apple-across-two-year-transition-period-to-apple-silicon <--
    "In fact, we have some new Intel based Macs in the pipeline that we're really excited about," [Tim Cook] continued.

It's unclear whether Tim Cook was talking about multiple Mac models or a single model, but it sounds more like multiple models. My guess is that the iMac Pro and Mac Pro are the Intel models that Cook was talking about, although it's also possible that they will be offered simultaneously with M-chip alternatives. It's also possible that there could be hybrid machines, for example, an existing or future Intel Mac Pro could have an Mx-chip "Mac-on-a-PCI-card." (The Mx-chip on this might be a variation without a video core because the Mac Pro has its own video. This sounds too complicated to me, but it remains a possibility.)
    Once the M1 was released it set a precedence: “Intel is old and inferior”. I don’t think Apple will sell a lot of Intel machines anymore now people are bought in to Apple Silicon’s promise and are waiting for a higher-end SoC. 
    I think Apple will not provide any upgradable machine except perhaps swappable SSD. Their SoC approach tells me that’s not their strategy. 
    seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 73
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member

melgross said:
    ...an updated Mac Pro. I didn’t buy one last year, because I wanted the new PCIe 4 bus, which is now becoming common enough for Apple to move to. 
    In an Apple Silicon Mac a PCIe bus may not do everything that we might want. For example, a PCIe video card may not work since MacOS Big Sur may not support any video cards even including Metal-based AMD video cards.

I agree that Apple will probably support PCIe v4 in an Apple Silicon Mac with expansion ports, but if it's not for video cards, maybe Apple should just re-think the whole purpose of the expansion card idea entirely. Could Thunderbolt be enough? How about Thunderbolt 4 which is due any day now from Intel (and probably from Apple too, since Apple now supports Thunderbolt without any Intel chips)? What type of cards do people want to install in a Mac that can't be done through a Thunderbolt port in some other way? Thunderbolt 4 is 26% faster than even a 16-lane PCIe v4 connector, and it's almost as fast as 16-lane PCEe v5 which won't be out for a couple of years. Why would anyone want a slow connection like a 16-lane PCIe v4 when Thunderbolt 4 is so much faster? I'll answer that - because you don't have to buy a Thunderbolt cable. So to save $50 people want to settle for a lower bus speed?

This is food for thought; I'm not sure Apple will do what I'm suggesting. I expect the usual claims from people here questioning my sanity. 
    Alex1NJapheywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 73
    It may be a bit too late for targeting Christmas 2020 in a big way. After Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and all of the discount days and weeks bracketing those big sales days, I'd imagine a lot of holiday shoppers have already emptied their wallets. But none of that shouldn't stop Apple from releasing whatever they have. 
    HEY!  As long as there are checks in my checkbook, I must still have money!  Hah!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 73

melgross said:
    ...an updated Mac Pro. I didn’t buy one last year, because I wanted the new PCIe 4 bus, which is now becoming common enough for Apple to move to. 
    In an Apple Silicon Mac a PCIe bus may not do everything that we might want. For example, a PCIe video card may not work since MacOS Big Sur may not support any video cards even including Metal-based AMD video cards.

I agree that Apple will probably support PCIe v4 in an Apple Silicon Mac with expansion ports, but if it's not for video cards, maybe Apple should just re-think the whole purpose of the expansion card idea entirely. Could Thunderbolt be enough? How about Thunderbolt 4 which is due any day now from Intel (and probably from Apple too, since Apple now supports Thunderbolt without any Intel chips)? What type of cards do people want to install in a Mac that can't be done through a Thunderbolt port in some other way? Thunderbolt 4 is 26% faster than even a 16-lane PCIe v4 connector, and it's almost as fast as 16-lane PCEe v5 which won't be out for a couple of years. Why would anyone want a slow connection like a 16-lane PCIe v4 when Thunderbolt 4 is so much faster? I'll answer that - because you don't have to buy a Thunderbolt cable. So to save $50 people want to settle for a lower bus speed?

This is food for thought; I'm not sure Apple will do what I'm suggesting. I expect the usual claims from people here questioning my sanity. 
    You be CRAZY!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Maybe they have realised they need to add at least one innovative feature to the iPhone 12s 
  • Reply 26 of 73

melgross said:

You be CRAZY!!!
    Thanks. I was sitting here hitting refresh over and over until someone proved me to be right. Thanks for making my day! Now I can go to sleep.
    Alex1Nrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 73
    entropys said:
    Maybe it is exclusive streaming on TV+ of the new 4K extended editions of Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit, until after New Years.

it is going cheap on iTunes AU at the moment for AUD$79

https://itunes.apple.com/au/movie-collection/middle-earth-extended-editions-6-film-collection/id1537503247

Not sure about  the US.

Sure, a new LOTR release would totally necessitate notifying technicians about AppleCare changes. 🙄
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 73
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Surely Apple can't be rolling out new products (or significant upgrades) at this point in the holiday shopping season without having announced it already.  As we've already seen with posts here, people will be annoyed if they bought a competing product without knowing an Apple alternative was coming soon.
    So your logic, if you were running a large manufacturer of consumer electronics, would be "let's not release this new product with over 2 weeks left in the busiest shopping season of the year, let's instead wait a few weeks or months after and release it then." 

Makes PERFECT sense!  

Jesus. 

edited December 2020 seanjfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 73

melgross said:

Maybe not your sanity, but I think you messed up your units here.

Thunderbolt 4: PCIe data at 32 Gb/s (GigaBITS)
    PCIe v4 x 16: 32 GB/s (GigaBYTES) = 256 GigaBITS

"The PCIe 4.0 specification will also bring the OCuLink-2 connector, an alternative to Thunderbolt 3, that provides 8GB/s of bandwidth via four PCIe 4.0 lanes" — That's 64 Gb/s.

Someone correct me if I screwed up here, but PCIe v4 x16 is quite a bit faster than Thunderbolt 4.

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 73
    dewme said:
    Come on Apple TV!

Just in time for Christmas too!  :-)
    That’s what I am hoping for too! 
    Me too, my 3rd Gen Apple TV is really starting to feel like an over the hill product. Putting a much beefier A-series SoC in an Apple TV may be just the thing to bolster Arcade and Apple One subscriptions, not to mention provide an opportunity for deploying a more robust HomeKit hub. In fact, I'd love to see a new Apple TV serve as a unifying hub to give HomeKit build-in access to the much larger population of non-HomeKit third party smart home accessories in addition to native HomeKit support. May as well add support for UWB too, which could be leveraged by the next gen AirPods Pro, HomePod mini, and UWB equipped Apple devices to facilitate a more seamless AirPlay 2 integration and perhaps even allow you to leverage Intercom functionality using your Apple TV Remote.

It may be a bit too late for targeting Christmas 2020 in a big way. After Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and all of the discount days and weeks bracketing those big sales days, I'd imagine a lot of holiday shoppers have already emptied their wallets. But none of that shouldn't stop Apple from releasing whatever they have. 
    I literally dropped by here just now because I was looking at Apple TV 4Ks on Ebay, because I have a new LG 65" OLED coming on coincidentally the same date as this (Tuesday the 8th) and everything hooked up to my now-ancient plasma is 1080P (including my AppleTV 4th gen). Guess I'll hold off and see what happens, and use the built-in apps to try out any 4K content for the interim. :)

Side note — anyone have a clue as to if there's any major difference between upscaling HD content on an Apple TV (HD) vs an Apple TV 4K connected to a 4K TV? Guessing the ATV 4K would do the upscaling and present 4K output to the TV, but maybe not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 73
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    JinTech said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    Apple said new intel macs later this year. So likely they will update the Macbook Pro 16 with 10th-gen intel processor like they did with iMac 27 2020.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/22/intel-says-it-support-apple-across-two-year-transition-period-to-apple-silicon <--
    "In fact, we have some new Intel based Macs in the pipeline that we're really excited about," [Tim Cook] continued.

It's unclear whether Tim Cook was talking about multiple Mac models or a single model, but it sounds more like multiple models. My guess is that the iMac Pro and Mac Pro are the Intel models that Cook was talking about, although it's also possible that they will be offered simultaneously with M-chip alternatives. It's also possible that there could be hybrid machines, for example, an existing or future Intel Mac Pro could have an Mx-chip "Mac-on-a-PCI-card." (The Mx-chip on this might be a variation without a video core because the Mac Pro has its own video. This sounds too complicated to me, but it remains a possibility.)
    Oh I guess I missed that. Thank you for the quote and the link. I am guess it would be the iMac Pro and the Mac Pro since they still need to figure out how to maximize the memory for those machines.

Another honest question, is Apple able to solder multiple M1 chips on one logic board and somehow allow each of them to contribute to the amount of the power per chip? So like a Duo M1 for example could in theory have 16 processor cores and up to 32 GBs of memory, etc?
    seanjwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 73
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    I just want them to fix Safari and bring it up to 2018 standards. 
    What's taking so long???
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 73
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    An new HomePod with upgraded specs and a lower price maybe?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    rain22 said:
    I just want them to fix Safari and bring it up to 2018 standards. 
    What's taking so long???
    Completely off-topic, but what's missing?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

JinTech said:

I am guess it would be the iMac Pro and the Mac Pro since they still need to figure out how to maximize the memory for those machines.
    You really think they still need to "figure out" memory?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 73
    flydog said:
    Surely Apple can't be rolling out new products (or significant upgrades) at this point in the holiday shopping season without having announced it already.  As we've already seen with posts here, people will be annoyed if they bought a competing product without knowing an Apple alternative was coming soon.
    So your logic, if you were running a large manufacturer of consumer electronics, would be "let's not release this new product with over 2 weeks left in the busiest shopping season of the year, let's instead wait a few weeks or months after and release it then." 

Makes PERFECT sense!  

Jesus. 

No, by my logic a large manufacturer of consumer electronics with a new product ready for sale today would have already announced it during one of the three big events they had in the past two months.

Thor.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 73
    entropys said:
    Maybe it is exclusive streaming on TV+ of the new 4K extended editions of Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit, until after New Years.

it is going cheap on iTunes AU at the moment for AUD$79

https://itunes.apple.com/au/movie-collection/middle-earth-extended-editions-6-film-collection/id1537503247

Not sure about  the US.

Not sure if you are joking, but any possibility of those films streaming would be on HBO Max. Considering the films are owned by WB and they are trying to generate buzz around that service, I don't think they will just hand them over to Apple for exclusive streaming.

You can still rent those movies on iTunes, though, right?
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    JinTech said:
    Apple_Bar said:

I’m not so sure. 

That comment was made round about June by the looks of. Since then, we had this:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/218919/windows-on-apple-silicon-is-up-to-microsoft-says-craig-federighi/p1

When asked about future Intel Macs, Greg Joswiak shrugged it off.

"When we said we would support Intel systems for years to come, that was talking about the operating system." Apple had commented that future Intel hardware was coming, but Joswiak said "We still had Intel systems that were in the pipeline" when it was said, "That very next month, we introduced an Intel-based iMac."

Sounds to me like they’re done with Intel Macs. 

williamlondonwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Rayz2016 said:
    JinTech said:
    Apple_Bar said:

I’m not so sure. 

That comment was made round about June by the looks of. Since then, we had this:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/218919/windows-on-apple-silicon-is-up-to-microsoft-says-craig-federighi/p1

When asked about future Intel Macs, Greg Joswiak shrugged it off.

"When we said we would support Intel systems for years to come, that was talking about the operating system." Apple had commented that future Intel hardware was coming, but Joswiak said "We still had Intel systems that were in the pipeline" when it was said, "That very next month, we introduced an Intel-based iMac."

Sounds to me like they’re done with Intel Macs. 
    That's a very good argument. Yet I'm not entirely convinced. If I had to bet even money, I'd put it on another Intel Mac.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 73

JinTech said:
    JinTech said:
    Apple_Bar said:

Oh I guess I missed that. Thank you for the quote and the link. I am guess it would be the iMac Pro and the Mac Pro since they still need to figure out how to maximize the memory for those machines.

Another honest question, is Apple able to solder multiple M1 chips on one logic board and somehow allow each of them to contribute to the amount of the power per chip? So like a Duo M1 for example could in theory have 16 processor cores and up to 32 GBs of memory, etc?
    Your question leads into the point I was making in my second paragraph. Right now the M1 chip includes features like video processors and memory that may not be needed if Apple decides to put multiple Mx chips on the same board. If Apple wants to do this they probably need to strip the chip of features that aren't needed in a multi-chip configuration. It wouldn't really be an Mx chip then, would it? The short answer to your question is yes, Apple could do it, but the long answer is that this would be a major architectural change that Apple may not be interested in. 

If Apple did do it, I would hope for a PCIe board that fits in an Intel Mac Pro that holds 4x8 (32) M2 chips.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra