Work on Apple TV+ thriller 'Tehran' second season has already started

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2020
A second series of the Apple TV espionage thriller "Tehran" is in development, a production company executive claims, with work being carried out on new episodes of the show ahead of being given the green light from Apple itself.

Niv Sultan in 'Tehran' on Apple TV+
Niv Sultan in 'Tehran' on Apple TV+

Speaking at the Asian Television Forum in the Singapore Media Festival on Wednesday, Julien Leroux claimed "I can say that we are working on the second season" of "Tehran." Admitting to the audience "It's not been officially greenlit," Leroux says "We are working on it, so hopefully we'll have some good news by the end of the year."

Leroux, the CEO and founder of Paper Entertainment, was previously the senior VP of global scripted co-productions for Cineflix Media, reports Variety, which included spotting and selling "Tehran" to an international audience.

Leroux claimed the show has received considerable good feedback from many countries, including India, Japan, and Singapore, though admittedly didn't have access to internal Apple metrics. "I think something that is important for them is stories that can also travel and not necessarily be a local show for a local audience. It needs to be a local show for a global audience."

As well as discussing a show he was involved with bringing to Apple TV+, Leroux also speculates on Apple's non-English language content plans, with more shows said to be already in development. A recent example in this vein is the order for bilingual comedy "Acapulco," starring actor Eugenio Derbez.

"Tehran," from "Fauda" writer Moshe Zonder, tells the story of a Mossad agent who goes deep undercover on a mission in Tehran, one that places everyone around her in dire jeopardy. The show stars Niv Sultan, Shaun Toub, Navid Negahban, Shervin Alenabi, Liraz Charhi, and Menashe Noy.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Excellent news. One of my favourite shows of 2020!
    williamhBeatswatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Can’t wait to see the second season. The first season was very exciting and an excellent production. More please!
    sidricthevikingBeatsStrangeDayswatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 22
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,057member
    One of my favorite AppleTV+ shows. Hope Apple renews it. Niv Sultan is fantastic. 
    edited December 2020 sidricthevikingwilliamhBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Didn’t think I’d like it. Hooked after one episode!
    JapheyapplguysidricthevikingwilliamhBeatsStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    Cool. This was the first show I watched when I finally got TV+ last month. I thought it was excellent. 
    sidricthevikingwilliamhBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,715member
    I think the basis for season two was established in the final episode of season one. One of the pilots had to bail out with a parachute (I think the co-pilot didn't survive). So I think season two will be a rescue mission for the surviving pilot. As soon as it happened it reminded me of the time when when Darth Vader escaped the exploding Death Star, making him available for the sequel. 

Sadly, my favourite character died in season one, so that's a downer for me.

Whenever I see an outdoor scene with large buildings, I pause the show (for up to an hour) to check if I can find it using Google Earth. The building in this show that they claim to be Mossad HQ is interesting because Street View is not available for about a block around that building in real life, suggesting to me that it actually is Mossad HQ in real life. But I was unable to confirm that through other web searches. If you don't hear from me ever again, this post may be why.

I did find several of the locations that were filmed in Israel, but I had trouble finding any of the scenes that were filmed in Greece even though the credits said Greece was a location they used. The large overhead shots of Tehran could have been CGI, or could have been actual clips they got somewhere.
    edited December 2020 patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 22
    cg27cg27 Posts: 221member
    Tehran and The Spy (Netflix) are excellent.  

I’ve always found it fascinating how spies can immerse themselves in closed off, repressive and paranoid societies that tend to be homogeneous (Russia, China, Iran, Syria, ...) and these two shows depict the high stakes extremely well.

Hoping for more series like Ted Lasso, Tehran, Long Way Up, and science documentaries.  

Would also be great if ATV+ could do some similar series as “Black Mirror” and “Love Death and Robots” (both Netflix).

BeatsStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I'm getting tired of these shows with the subtext, I watched Narco and then Narco Mexico and read all those subtext, then watch Tehran and could not believe I was reading another movie, I do not read Novels since I do not find that entertaining and relaxing.

The subtext in Tehran tend to scroll too fast, and I suspect the subtext do not match the actual conversation. There are times the characters say one word, but there is whole sentence on the screen.
    randominternetpersonpowerguruwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    maestro64 said:
    I'm getting tired of these shows with the subtext, I watched Narco and then Narco Mexico and read all those subtext, then watch Tehran and could not believe I was reading another movie, I do not read Novels since I do not find that entertaining and relaxing.

The subtext in Tehran tend to scroll too fast, and I suspect the subtext do not match the actual conversation. There are times the characters say one word, but there is whole sentence on the screen.
    Do you mean to say “subtitles”? 
    ronnStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,045member
    Tehran was the first Apple TV+ show that I totally loved. It was fantastic.  I know it’s fiction but it’s one of the few glimpses we get of what Iranian society is or might be like. In every hard line government or tyranny you have an underlying society that has to have a sense of normality. People have friends, go to parties celebrate birthdays, etc.  I suspect the producers have some idea what the Iranian street is like. I like to think that one day soon the Iranian people could be free. I’m 

Very happy to see that they’re working on Season 2 even if Apple hasn’t committed yet. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    maestro64 said:

My problem with subtitles is that production companies seem to forget to how to make them work. As you mentioned I found the pacing to be terrible. Font color selection atrocious. White often disappears with what’s going on on screen. And finally font size selection. This also carries over to AppleTV UI. I have a 48” TV in the living room and a 55” in the family room. There is no reason I should need to squint or get up and walk closer to the TV to see what’s on the screen.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    maestro64 said:

Won’t someone think of the monoglots!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    We loved it.  Was fully expecting to hate it but it really sucked us in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    maestro64 said:

Okay, you are talking about subtitles. I can understand your frustration, but I haven't had any problem reading them and following the plot. 

Subtitling is an art and you need to get across the meaning and intent of what is being said, rather then every literal word. This could mean a word on screen needs to be explained via a sentence in the subtitles. 

Overall, the subtitles didn't detract from my enjoying the show.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Tehran was very interesting and gripping. Most of the characters were subtle and no one was a nose-flaring villain, so to speak. Characters were well written.

My only grouse (and this was true for The Mandalorian S1 as well), is that there is no sense of closure or ending at the end of the season. While that is definitely my own expectations (and shortcoming, probably), I generally like some kind or a resolution at the end of a season. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,075member
    razorpit said:
    maestro64 said:

My problem with subtitles is that production companies seem to forget to how to make them work. As you mentioned I found the pacing to be terrible. Font color selection atrocious. White often disappears with what’s going on on screen. And finally font size selection. This also carries over to AppleTV UI. I have a 48” TV in the living room and a 55” in the family room. There is no reason I should need to squint or get up and walk closer to the TV to see what’s on the screen.
    Just go into Settings and change the subtitles color and size to something you like?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,075member

maestro64 said:

Okay, you are talking about subtitles. I can understand your frustration, but I haven't had any problem reading them and following the plot. 

Subtitling is an art and you need to get across the meaning and intent of what is being said, rather then every literal word. This could mean a word on screen needs to be explained via a sentence in the subtitles. 

Exactly. He's complaining that language doesn't translate literally all the time. That's language, man...

The only detracting from enjoyment I run into it -- on shows with mixed languages my Apple TV frequently gets confused and starts subtitling ALL dialog, even the default language (English) lines. I have to screw around with it to get it to stop doing that and only caption the foreign-language dialogue. It's done this in ATV+, in Prime, in Netflix...all using the ATV's native subtitling system, so something in there is getting messed up for me.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22

maestro64 said:

Exactly. He's complaining that language doesn't translate literally all the time. That's language, man...

The only detracting from enjoyment I run into it -- on shows with mixed languages my Apple TV frequently gets confused and starts subtitling ALL dialog, even the default language (English) lines. I have to screw around with it to get it to stop doing that and only caption the foreign-language dialogue. It's done this in ATV+, in Prime, in Netflix...all using the ATV's native subtitling system, so something in there is getting messed up for me.
    The same thing happens with my ARV. I figured it was because it’s straight CC...I didn’t know there was an option to just translate. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    First sorry about saying subtext verse subtitle. Not sure why that got stuck in my head.

I did not check but I do not think you can modify the subtitle in shows like Tehran, since they are placed there by the actual show/movie not part of the Close Capturing system. I am pretty sure if you could speak the language you would find the text is not the same as the conversation going on the screen. Yes some of it has to do with lack of direct translations issues. But I think the foreign conversations do not lend well to the English speaking population being entertained. I know I am an ugly American and think everything should revolve around us. However, I have spent time in other countries and watch their shows in without subtitles and some time it is still entertaining even without knowing everything being said.

As other pointed out, having white text and  image background being light makes it hard to read. You would think Producers were going to translate the story they would be smart enough to have the text color change so it can be seen as background color changes. Maybe they are doing this on purpose to make you experience what hearing impair individuals have to deal with with the CC system.

The problem I really had was you have to keep your eyes on the show 100% of the time, since you do not when subtitles are just filler information or information needed to understand the plot. You can not even close your eyes for a few second and just listen to what is being said since the visual has no baring on the plot. These shows you have to be fully engaged no just passively being entertained.

The first movie I watch like this was IP Man, and had the same thought I could not believe I was watching a movie that I had to read. However, their subtitles were easer to ready and follow if I remember correctly.

Beside the rant on the whole subtitle thing, I did like the show, and want to see what happens next, however, I thought the story line and plot was being forced and time scale did not line up.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Excellent show! A little cheesy at times (eg every time they check in with the fighter jets they make some sort of dramatic maneuver), but very well done in terms of character development. All characters are very relatable, and the dynamics of their conflicts match perfectly with their characters. Also, I’d watch pretty much anything with Alicia Vikander in it..

The subtitles are annoying af though. One of the best things about it is the cultural context, but it gets very annoying to read subtitles for %90 of it. I realize Apple is going for ‘global context,’ but I’m pretty sure that the subtitles are annoying to everyone that doesn’t speak both Farsi and Hebrew (I’m assuming it includes Hebrew, but I wouldn’t notice the difference). I’m sure %99.9 of people fit into this category, but of course Apple’s neuroticism has to come in and make things unnecessarily difficult. 
    edited January 2021