Apple AirPods Max are made in Vietnam, but still by Chinese firms

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Apple is continuing to reduce its dependence on suppliers in China by having the AirPods Max made in Vietnam -- but currently still by Chinese-owned companies.

Exploded view of AirPods Max (source: Apple)
Exploded view of AirPods Max (source: Apple)

Following previous moves away from China to reduce the impact of US trade disputes, Apple is reportedly having its new AirPods Max assembled in Vietnam. However, the factories assembling the headphones are still owned by companies based in China.

According to Digitimes, supply chain sources say that the headphones are being assembled by the Chinese companies Luxshare Precision Industry and Goertek. These unnamed sources say that the two companies beat Taiwanese competitors to the job even though Inventec Appliances had in some way participated in the development of the AirPods Max.

Digitimes says that its sources see the move to assemble in Vietnam as signifying that Apple is accelerating the relocation of its suppliers away from China. The same sources reportedly commented that the number of iPhones being produced in India is increasing.

China remains important to Apple, however. Recently it was revealed that Apple has been paying a bonus to staff who resume travelling to, and working in, China, following the lifting of coronavirus restrictions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I am going to moan about the obscene price every post about the Airpods Max.
    elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 30
    This story illustrates that the company building Apple's products doesn't have to be based in the country where the labour is found. This means, for example, that Apple could start a company in China or Vietnam and hire a million people. Why doesn't Apple do that? Probably because Apple would be skewered for hiring people using local wage rates and labour practices. Apple wants plausible deniability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plausible_deniability <--

elijahg
  • Reply 3 of 30
    This story illustrates that the company building Apple's products doesn't have to be based in the country where the labour is found. This means, for example, that Apple could start a company in China or Vietnam and hire a million people. Why doesn't Apple do that? Probably because Apple would be skewered for hiring people using local wage rates and labour practices. Apple wants plausible deniability.

No, it's because Apple isn't a manufacturing company nor does it want to be. 
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 4 of 30
    entropys said:
    I am going to moan about the obscene price every post about the Airpods Max.
    If I were you I’d wish I were me.
    edited December 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Can't imagine if the AirPods Max is made in USA like the monitor stand. I would've easily been a $1000+ headphone.
  • Reply 6 of 30

So you are hypothesizing that the $2/hour rate of pay in China is not a valid reason Apple pays them to manufacture their goods. If you are right, then why doesn't Apple insist on paying them the same minimum wage as US workers?
    elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

So you are hypothesizing that the $2/hour rate of pay in China is not a valid reason Apple pays them to manufacture their goods. If you are right, then why doesn't Apple insist on paying them the same minimum wage as US workers?
    He's not hypothesising anything remotely like that.  Quit putting words into other peoples mouths, and stop the goddamn trolling.
    CloudTalkinmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacronntokyojimuStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 30
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/09/south-dakota-mitchell-covid-masks/

another reason why high tech manufacturing is a tough sell in the US, you can’t have a labor force this contrarian to main stream culture.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    badmonk said:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/09/south-dakota-mitchell-covid-masks/

another reason why high tech manufacturing is a tough sell in the US, you can’t have a labor force this contrarian to main stream culture.
    I am truly stumped at making a connection between the linked Washington Post article and high tech manufacturing, or main stream culture, or the labor force at large.

In case you did not know, there certainly is high tech manufacturing in the United States.  What you don't see much of (anymore) is high volume, low cost manufacturing.  I have worked for two companies which were both high tech manufacturers.  However, both of these companies were smaller and manufactured lower volume, higher value products.  Think industrial, military, medical, et al. - certainly not consumer widgets.
    edited December 2020 tmayGeorgeBMacronntokyojimuravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30

No, I'm saying Apple isn't a manufacturing company nor does it want to be. The sentence is super clear.

As for payment. I, like you, don't know the details of Apple's contracts with their manufactures. Also like you, I don't now how much people working on making Apple products are compensated and if that compensations os above or below market rate. Unlike you,  I'm not going to speculate wildly. 
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 11 of 30

No, I'm saying Apple isn't a manufacturing company nor does it want to be. The sentence is super clear.

As for payment. I, like you, don't know the details of Apple's contracts with their manufactures. Also like you, I don't now how much people working on making Apple products are compensated and if that compensations os above or below market rate. Unlike you,  I'm not going to speculate wildly. 
    If I was in your position, I'd make that my last interaction in that thread.  Otherwise you will be dragged down a rabbit hole of increasingly non-sensical illogical quotes.  You'd be better served engaging one of the comments that make sense.  You'll end up pulling your hair out in disbelief if you continue. :D
    muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 12 of 30

One thought...  Stating Apple does not want to be a manufacturing company is (by definition) speculation (though perhaps not wild speculation).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30

My numbers come from the New York Times. I hardly call that wildly speculating. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html <--

I notice the guy who always argues with me and swears at me is sticking up for you. At least you are polite, like me, so I credit you with that. But my questions are polite and sincere. Do you think that the low wages are a factor in Apple's choice of manufacturers? If not, why doesn't Apple insist on fair wages by US standards? I'm polite and I'm sincere and I'm just trying to understand your point of view.

I just noticed a second person who has a deep hatred of me advising you not to talk to me. I guess some people can't face simple facts that come from the New York Times.
    edited December 2020 elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 30
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Can't imagine if the AirPods Max is made in USA like the monitor stand. I would've easily been a $1000+ headphone.
    It's unlikely Apple could hire Americans to do the job for any price. They'd first have to build housing, transportation, hospitals and clinics, and take 6 months more just to hire the supervisory staff. 
    dewme
  • Reply 15 of 30
    larryjw said:
    It's unlikely Apple could hire Americans to do the job for any price. They'd first have to build housing, transportation, hospitals and clinics, and take 6 months more just to hire the supervisory staff. 
    I appreciate the humorous support. It kinda balances out the personal attacks I put up with here.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 16 of 30

My numbers come from the New York Times. I hardly call that wildly speculating. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html <--

I notice the guy who always argues with me and swears at me is sticking up for you. At least you are polite, like me, so I credit you with that. But my questions are polite and sincere. Do you think that the low wages are a factor in Apple's choice of manufacturers? If not, why doesn't Apple insist on fair wages by US standards? I'm polite and I'm sincere and I'm just trying to understand your point of view.

I just noticed a second person who has a deep hatred of me advising you not to talk to me. I guess some people can't face simple facts that come from the New York Times.
    HAH!  That article was hilarious.  A 20 employee company could only produce 1000 screws per day?!?!  Were they made by Swiss watch makers?  Do the math...  9.6 minutes per screw or 6.25 screws per man-hour (this is assuming all 20 people were actively manufacturing screws for 8 hours a day).  What the heck did these screws cost?!?!

As for the rest...  I doubt low wages are a direct factor in Apple's choice of manufacturers.  When considering using a contract manufacturer there are a host of concerns (product quality, production time/capacity and production cost per unit are three biggies).  While employee wages do impact the production cost, they are not typically a direct consideration.  Instead it is simply a factor governing the manufacturers production cost per unit when negotiating a contract.

I see no reason to apply US wage expectations to a foreign company.  If you did that, there would be FAR less incentive to have the work performed outside the US - employee costs are not an insignificant factor in manufacturing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Ohhhh...  Maybe Apple will produce a special headphone stand.  You know...  aesthetically pleasing and designed to create a harmonious synergy with your headphones.  They might need to bring back Sir Jony for this one!
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30

Just on the bolded part - Could it be because it does not make sense economically? For example, why should Apple insist to Foxconn/Wistron/Pegatron on paying say $5000 dollar (US standard) equivalent in local currency as monthly salary for an iPhone assembly job in India when there would be many people willing to do that job for one tenth of that amount (say $500 equivalent in local currency)? Why should Apple pay the contract manufacturer ten times than what is the minimum required to get the job done and pass-on the additional cost to buyers of their products? How would that make them competitive in the market?

Isn't it one of the key reasons (along with Infrastructure, availability of skilled labor) why the manufacturing is spread out all over the world, wherever the products can be manufactured at the lowest cost possible? Why would they keep that manufacturing work outside of US, if they can get it done in US itself for the same amount? If you think through this further, it would be clear that it does not make economic sense. Apple can and does insist on fair wages by the local standards in which their contract manufacturers operate and rightly so.
    edited December 2020 ronn
  • Reply 19 of 30
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Some posters are ignorant about the manufacturing process. It still needs engineers. It is reported that Vietnam cannot provide enough engineers. And the Vietnamese engineers pay is more than Chinese engineers.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Hell, I could’ve told you that. Chinese firms moved into Vietnam decades ago in multiple industries in order to circumvent import rules and to reduce labor costs.