Workers riot at Wistron iPhone plant in India over shorted pay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Employees in an iPhone production facility in India became violent on Saturday, over claims workers are not being paid what they were allegedly promised by Apple assembly partner Wistron.

The Friday night-shift at the Narasapura manufacturing plant operated by Wistron saw violence prompted by a pay dispute. Most of the 2,000 staff working at the operation are said to have caused destruction to property, including furniture, assembly units, and set fire to vehicles at the location, prompting a police response.

The offices of senior executives were targeted by the employees, reports The Times of India, with broken glass and doors seen in videos filmed by attending employees.

Karnataka: #Violence at iPhone production plant run by Taiwan-based #Wistron Corp at Narasapura (in Kolar district) near #Bengaluru.

Employees allege they have not been paid properly. pic.twitter.com/GKbeFeyRKc

-- TOI Bengaluru (@TOIBengaluru)

Sources told the report the unrest was caused through the workers not receiving the full pay they were told they would be receiving at the time of joining the company. One staff member alleged an engineering graduate was promised Rs 21,000 ($285) per month, but instead had Rs 16,000 ($217) at first, which then reduced down to Rs 12,000 ($163) in the last three months.

Other employees allegedly had it worse, with one non-engineering graduate's salary cut down to Rs 8,000 ($108), and some claiming to have been paid as little as Rs 500 ($6.78). The bad sentiment grew throughout the shift, erupting in violence by the early hours of the morning.

Wistron has yet to comment on the incident.

The factory in Narasapura was the center of major hiring for the Apple assembly partner, with initial efforts from August aiming to hire 2,000 workers with a final goal of generating 10,000 jobs. It is unclear if the staff at the center of the violence were part of this freshly-hired group.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    This isn’t uncommon in India. One of my former employers had this happen at their Pune factory a few years back. Destroyed equipment and glass throughout the building and actively sought out managers the to beat up. 
    NotoriousDEVravnorodomGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Welcome to India.  Supposed democracy where 98% of the population are treated like human garbage, due to barbaric, medieval caste system, mindless religious zealotry and grotesque overpopulation.  If Apple don't want to see their humanistic reputation (what's left of it after almost selling their soul to capture Chinese market) sullied even further, they had better tighten their grip and sense of responsibility over their proxies there.
    OferSpamSandwichviclauyycNotoriousDEVAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Alger said:
    Welcome to India.  Supposed democracy where 98% of the population are treated like human garbage, due to barbaric, medieval caste system, mindless religious zealotry and grotesque overpopulation.  If Apple don't want to see their humanistic reputation (what's left of it after almost selling their soul to capture Chinese market) sullied even further, they had better tighten their grip and sense of responsibility over their proxies there.
    I agree. Apple should tone down the virtue signaling about human rights, privacy and security. It makes them look very hypocritical at best. While Macs and iOS devices may be somewhat more secure than the competition they are not in any way bulletproof, as has been demonstrated time and again when security researchers find flaws. And in terms of humanistic reputation Apple is doing business with some truly nasty actors, both primary and secondary. Think about mining in Africa.
    edited December 2020 SpamSandwichAlex1NCarnage
  • Reply 4 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:

I agree. Apple should tone down the virtue signaling about human rights, privacy and security. It makes them look very hypocritical at best. 
    That's your take?  I'd say Apple should ensure their suppliers pay their workers what they promise them and sever relations with those that don't, but sure, it's the optics that are the problem here.
    bloggerblogdewmeOferanantksundaramviclauyycAlex1Ndangermouse2GeorgeBMacrandominternetpersonjony0
  • Reply 5 of 44
    According to workers I met from SE Asia this is inline with how contractors take advantage of their employees. They even charge them a hefty fee for the opportunity to work! Apple should pull their contract from such corrupt executive culture, or force a major change and executive terminations. Unfair treatment of employees will be reflected in the quality of products that come out of those factories. 
    edited December 2020 anantksundaramviclauyycAlex1Nmike54
  • Reply 6 of 44
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    lkrupp said:
    Alger said:
    I agree. Apple should tone down the virtue signaling about human rights, privacy and security. It makes them look very hypocritical at best. While Macs and iOS devices may be somewhat more secure than the competition they are not in any way bulletproof, as has been demonstrated time and again when security researchers find flaws. And in terms of humanistic reputation Apple is doing business with some truly nasty actors, both primary and secondary. Think about mining in Africa.
    Apple was forced to do so. A few years ago Foxconn employees jumped to death. The responsibility is on Apple suppliers. Human rights hypocrites stretch everything to suit their agenda. 
    jas99jony0
  • Reply 7 of 44
    According to other workers I met from SE Asia, this is inline with how they take advantage of contractors. They even sometimes charge them a hefty fee for the opportunity to work!  Apple should pull their contract from such corrupt corrupt executive culture.
    This head hunting is an American practice too. 
    dewmemike54
  • Reply 8 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:

I agree. Apple should tone down the virtue signaling about human rights, privacy and security. It makes them look very hypocritical at best. 
    That's your take?  I'd say Apple should ensure their suppliers pay their workers what they promise them and sever relations with those that don't, but sure, it's the optics that are the problem here.

Agree with Crowley. Apple should not give its business to unethical parts or production sources. I'd also add that those who are committing crimes and causing property damage should be held fully accountable. Violence is not the answer.
    Oferanantksundaramroundaboutnow
  • Reply 9 of 44
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:

That’s a little tough to do when Apple’s supply chain managers have been tasked with bargaining down major subcontractors to get the best price per unit.  Apple has enormous bargaining power and influence due to their sheer size and they have not been shy about using it ruthlessly in negotiations.

Apple has been busy ramping up virtue signaling over environmental concerns and worker’s rights over the past decade.  But it’s hard to stay focused on that when the leadership is surrounded by a 21st century glass-walled office working environment that is far out of sight of everyday working conditions many thousands of miles away.

Apple Park, a triumph of architecture, engineering and productive office working space, never considered the manufacturing environment, not even as an afterthought.  That tells us all we need to know about their thought processes and priorities in the whole lifecycle chain of Apple products.
    edited December 2020 OferAlex1Nmike54
  • Reply 10 of 44
    JWSC said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:

That’s a little tough to do when Apple’s supply chain managers have been tasked with bargaining down major subcontractors to get the best price per unit.  Apple has enormous bargaining power and influence due to their sheer size and they have not been shy about using it ruthlessly in negotiations.

Apple has been busy ramping up virtue signaling over environmental concerns and worker’s rights over the past decade.  But it’s hard to stay focused on that when the leadership is surrounded by a 21st century glass-walled office working environment that is far out of sight of everyday working conditions many thousands of miles away.

Apple Park, a triumph of architecture, engineering and productive office working space, never considered the manufacturing environment, not even as an afterthought.  That tells us all we need to know about their thought processes and priorities in the whole lifecycle chain of Apple products.
    You know these are facts? Or is this just an essay you wrote out of imagination?
    anantksundaramjas99BeatsviclauyycdewmeFidonet127GeorgeBMacrandominternetpersonjony0
  • Reply 11 of 44
    They should have burned the place down. Greedy businessmen only understand 1 thing: losing money. Hit the wallet and maybe next time they'll learn to pay properly.

As for Apple, how could they agree to use a company they know is paying staff a pittance when they sell some of the most expensive gadgets on the planet?

Responsibility is on Apple to not squeeze the best deal out of suppliers and to make sure staff get paid properly.

How about we empty Tim's back account and pay him $100 a month??!
    edited December 2020 Alex1Nmike54
  • Reply 12 of 44
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    A manufacturing facility like this has A LOT of security cameras 

-  The employees who caused damage should be immediately identified, fired, and banned from ever working at Wistron again 

-  Individual criminal charges should be filed

-  Apple needs to find out immediately details around employee pay. I find it very hard to believe Wistron thought it could get away with this knowing Apple's strict vendor employee rules and consequences.   It makes no sense.    I think there is more to the story

India is a mess.  The only reason Apple manufacturers there is to avoid paying ridiculous import tariffs.    I don't think India is viable for production to supply the rest of the world.  That is going fall to Vietnam, other SE Asian countries and maybe Mexico 
    dewmejcc
  • Reply 13 of 44
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Goodness I thought this place had the smartest posters. This is sounding almost as bad as MacRumors.

1. This is NOT Apple. So no, Tim Cook did not cut these people's pay nor is Apple in any control of what happens here. This does not reflect Apple's human rights and none of these people are Apple employees.

2. Apple cannot snap their fingers and materialize a new 3rd party manufacturer out of thin air, with property and employees and all.

3. Apple should ONLY be concerned about employees striking as it slows down production. THIS is what we should be concerned about as Apple contracted this company to fulfill a purpose and this company not paying employees fairly gets in the way of this purpose.

Again this IS NOT APPLE!!! Apple has a contract in place and the fact management is failing at this contract gives Apple the right to sue the sh** out of them. I'm sure the contract has quotas in place and punishment if these company rips Apple off. This is basic business practice here.

tzeshan said:
    lkrupp said:
    Alger said:
    Apple was forced to do so. A few years ago Foxconn employees jumped to death. The responsibility is on Apple suppliers. Human rights hypocrites stretch everything to suit their agenda. 

What iKnockoff morons failed to realize is that the employees that jumped to their death WERE NOT employees of Apple and most were not even working on Apple products. Most were from the XBox division. No one gave a sh*t except Apple who installed nets to reduce suicides. Every state in the U.S. has a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. Every University in the United States has a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. The irony when iKnockoff morons blame Apple for suicides(that they had no hand in) and yet don't care about what's going on in their own back yard.

red oak said:
    -  The employees who caused damage should be immediately identified, fired, and banned from ever working at Wistron again 

And let the managers go? This sounds like some right-wing nut nonsense.

I FULLY support a dog biting it's owner after being abused for too long and I don't support the owner euthanizing the dog because he's become violent.
    viclauyycradarthekatAlex1NFidonet127omar moralesjony0
  • Reply 14 of 44
    lkrupp said:
    Alger said:
    At least Steve Jobs kept his focus 100% of the time on Apple and wasn’t so concerned about appeasing his environmental and “human rights” critics.
    NotoriousDEVzeus423elijahg
  • Reply 15 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    “Virtue signaling” is a disparaging authoritarian term for “trying to do good in the world for more than just yourself.”
    radarthekatAlex1NGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 16 of 44
    tzeshan said:
    lkrupp said:
    Alger said:
    ... A few years ago Foxconn employees jumped to death...
    That had nothing to do with work conditions, this topic has been covered many times. To summarize, Foxconn hires hundreds of thousands of employees. The suicide rate at those factories are well below China’s national average. The reasons for suicide were your typical problems and had nothing to do with work conditions. The guy who “exposed” the situation was building his own narrative to get attention, people who he interviewed ended up suing him. When asked why, he said he was performing “theatre”. Um, yeah theatre on Ted Talk (or a similar venue), so after that he lost credibility as a journalist and we haven’t heard much from him again. But the media stuck to the narrative because it’s Apple, they get a lot of attention. Foxconn in the end had to do something really stupid, install nets, to quiet down the media. 
    dewmeAlex1NGeorgeBMacroundaboutnowjony0
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Beats said:
    Goodness I thought this place had the smartest posters. This is sounding almost as bad as MacRumors.

1. This is NOT Apple. So no, Tim Cook did not cut these people's pay nor is Apple in any control of what happens here. This does not reflect Apple's human rights and none of these people are Apple employees.

2. Apple cannot snap their fingers and materialize a new 3rd party manufacturer out of thin air, with property and employees and all.

3. Apple should ONLY be concerned about employees striking as it slows down production. THIS is what we should be concerned about as Apple contracted this company to fulfill a purpose and this company not paying employees fairly gets in the way of this purpose.

Again this IS NOT APPLE!!! Apple has a contract in place and the fact management is failing at this contract gives Apple the right to sue the sh** out of them. I'm sure the contract has quotas in place and punishment if these company rips Apple off. This is basic business practice here.

tzeshan said:
    lkrupp said:
    Alger said:

What iKnockoff morons failed to realize is that the employees that jumped to their death WERE NOT employees of Apple and most were not even working on Apple products. Most were from the XBox division. No one gave a sh*t except Apple who installed nets to reduce suicides. Every state in the U.S. has a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. Every University in the United States has a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. The irony when iKnockoff morons blame Apple for suicides(that they had no hand in) and yet don't care about what's going on in their own back yard.

red oak said:

And let the managers go? This sounds like some right-wing nut nonsense.

I FULLY support a dog biting it's owner after being abused for too long and I don't support the owner euthanizing the dog because he's become violent.
    I think the consensus is that this is part of Apple’s supply chain and even though they are not in charge of auditing how a supplier pays its workers, this kind of story hurts the brand. Apple does have specific requirements in their agreements with their suppliers that gives them the right to audit the supplier’s employees to find out if they are treated fairly. If not, they can let the supplier know that they need to correct the behavior or end up losing business. 

This has been in place ever since the Foxconn suicide incidents. Even though Apple is not responsible, they have acted to protect their image when it looks like a supplier of theirs are abusing their workers to make more money. 
    Alex1Nelijahg
  • Reply 18 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I don’t understand.  This sounds more like Wistron’s management screwing workers and not about Apple “paying enough” right?

Alex1Nomar moralesjony0
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Even in white collar; know many working at app/programming companies where owners either start missing payments (or making arbitrary reductions) or just shut down. 

India, a lot of potential - but as long as Corruption is commonplace, will be limited. 

This isn’t uncommon in India. One of my former employers had this happen at their Pune factory a few years back. Destroyed equipment and glass throughout the building and actively sought out managers the to beat up. 

• Reply 20 of 44
    Thanks for the laugh. 

Funny how a side that uses wordplay to disparage anyone who doesn’t agree with them on every topic, gets really thin skinned when the tables are turned. 

Back to the article - this has little (almost nothing)  to do with Apple and unfortunately everything to do with a country that has still a system where some people, due to the station in life they were born into, are above the law. 

chasm said:
    “Virtue signaling” is a disparaging authoritarian term for “trying to do good in the world for more than just yourself.”