Help! Powerbook Lost!

newnew
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's a tragedy. I lost my powerbook 1ghz Superdrive.

No details.

Anyone remember the story about that guy who managed to track down his mac? How did he do it? Did he have any special software installed?

Any help is appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    You have no details to give us at all?

First of all, report your Serial Number to the police, and then to Apple.

Maybe you'll get lucky.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    thanks.

I'll post the details later. Right now I'm to depressed.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Still got your box? The serial number is on it, as is the network card address.

Someone might have found it: it's always worth checking with the police just in case i) a kind person hands it in or ii) someone gets nicked selling dodgy computers.

Best of luck.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

It's a tragedy. I lost my powerbook 1ghz Superdrive.

No details.

Anyone remember the story about that guy who managed to track down his mac? How did he do it? Did he have any special software installed?

Any help is appreciated...

From what I remember, I think he had Timbuktu installed on the stolen Mac and used it to remotely change the internet access telephone number on the stolen machine to his own telephone number. When the stolen machine next dialled up, the persons telephone number showed up on his caller id display, which was then tracked by the police.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Can't really help you, New, but I feel for you, deeply. It's probably one of the worser days of your lives. I hope you get the machine back somehow. Meanwhile, hang in there.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I remember the story of the guy that had his computer stolen. He had Timbuktu installed. Somehow he got in contact with his computer, changed the networking to PPP and put his home number to call. Then they creep that stole his computer tried to connect and his caller ID caught the number. Then the cops were called and the computer was recovered.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Here we go

Timbuktu used to recover stolen iMac

Not a lot of help but a cool stroy none the less.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    so how are you posting?

also you should really give some info...did you lose it or was it stolen...where was it lost?

makes me think about buying that software that sends location information to you next time its connected to the internet (if u pay for the one version it even survives if u format ur drive)
  • Reply 9 of 24
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

so how are you posting?

also you should really give some info...did you lose it or was it stolen...where was it lost?

makes me think about buying that software that sends location information to you next time its connected to the internet (if u pay for the one version it even survives if u format ur drive)

You also can get cards that fit in the Powerbooks cardbus slot and emit a loud siren if the computer is taken more than a few feet away from you. Pretty drastic but it won't let you loose the computer and no one will get very far if they try to steal it.

(to me this seems absurd especially since in an airport now days you would have about ten security guards swarming around you when the alarm goes off)

But it does physically protect your powerbook

In other news . . . I like the feature to change what font and color your post is in.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Timbuktu was not installed...

The machine was stolen of a chair in a café/bar. It was in a bag, and my jacket was covering it. I didn't even notice it was gone until I picked up my jacket. I'd been sitting there for quite long time, but I didn't notice anything.

Trying now to figure out if my insurance covers stupidity...

Is threre any way at all to find out if anyone uses the machine on the net. say through iChat or .mac or anything?

If anyone has seen my nick "newofai" on ichat yesterday or today or in the following days, will you please let me know?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Sorry to hear this. Hope U will find your PowerBook soon!!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Timbuktu was not installed...

The machine was stolen of a chair in a café/bar. It was in a bag, and my jacket was covering it. I didn't even notice it was gone until I picked up my jacket. I'd been sitting there for quite long time, but I didn't notice anything.

Trying now to figure out if my insurance covers stupidity...

Is threre any way at all to find out if anyone uses the machine on the net. say through iChat or .mac or anything?

If anyone has seen my nick "newofai" on ichat yesterday or today or in the following days, will you please let me know?

i added that to my buddy list i'll let you know if i see it on

does anyone know a way to find their IP without having to do an image connect? i could traceroute then and find least the ISP
  • Reply 13 of 24
    what about rendevous...do you hvae to be on the same network for that to work...or could you type in ur rendevous name and find ur pBook?

i've never used it i am jc
  • Reply 14 of 24
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Sorry to hear that.. but you will find joy again. frida is it?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Sorry to hear that.. but you will find joy again. frida is it?

thanx for the support. Actually I might be able to get some partial insurance cover.

The worst part of it is the thought of someone going trough all my stuff. Several hundred e-mails. Some very personal. My adressbook and caledar. All the recent photos of my daughter. My carefully put together music library. All the designs for my latest web projects etc.

My only hope is that the power will run out soon, since I didn't carry the adapter. hopefully the machine will then log out. Maybe I should contact Apple Norway and see if someone just ordered a new powercord. The norwegian mac market can't be that big.

Anyway. Apple should give you the chance to have your laptop engraved. just like your iPod.

Anyone know if rendezvous could be used to track the computer?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How could you just leave your Powerbook sitting there? Even though it was under your jacket, it wasn't the smartest thing. Hopefully you'll find it.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I really feel for you, that really bites. I hope something like that never happens to me. Is there special insurance coverage for say just my powerbook in case something like that were to happen to me? Because I have very important documents I could be held liable for if something like that were to happen to me. sux tho I'd check the scoop on the street, ask people in the cafe if they saw anyone using a powerbook and if they looked unsavory. lets hope you get it back.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Yes, there are special kinds of insurances for stuff like this. Go get one right away.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS!

Theft should be BANNED.

I remember when a 12-year-old boy stole my T68i from my table in the Hare Krishna restaurant in Soho Square.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!

I remember when a Francophone North African dude stole my Cannondale hybrid with Magura brakes from outside Hoxton Hall on Hoxton Street.

But, New, remember: I got lucky. I got my machine back and it's perfectly possible that you will too.

In the meantime, my condolences.

• Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS!

Theft should be BANNED.

I remember when a 12-year-old boy stole my T68i from my table in the Hare Krishna restaurant in Soho Square.

I remember when a Francophone North African dude stole my Cannondale hybrid with Magura brakes from outside Hoxton Hall on Hoxton Street.

But, New, remember: I got lucky. I got my machine back and it's perfectly possible that you will too.

In the meantime, my condolences.

not sure if london sucks or u are just unlucky!