What new feature would persuade you to buy 10.3?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I can only really think of multiple desktops, this is a feature I would really like. The implimentation in KDE is something I don't think we should be missing out on.

Yes I would like a faster finder, but as I have now upgraded to a 1ghz iMac, the finder is not so much of an issue to me.

I am an upgrade-a-holick, but it has to be something special to get me to upgrade now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Before anybody does, don't say "Not cost 130 bucks l33t HaxOR!" because that is not really needed. If you dont want to pay, you dont have to.'

I am personally waiting for the rebirth of Aqua Icon Screensaver, now defunct
  • Reply 2 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Hell give me :

1. Heavily Threaded Finder

2. Services on Steroids

3. New File System with DB integrated

4. Metadata support so sweet that I name my next child Steve Jobs

5. Kernel Level Clustering

6. Quartz Extreme Extreme- Give me acceleration down to the widget!

7. CoreAudio improvements with -5ms latency

8. Multiple Desktops with fast switching

9. Dock with customization. Let me Tab a portion.

10. Pervasive Applescript and a Universal Installer with access to 3rd party updates.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    1. "Smart Folders" like iTunes' "Smart Playlists"

2. New dock features that will become useless, but still cool looking, after 5 minutes

3. iChat 2.0 for video conferencing (not really a wish list item, but something that I think will come into play)

4. Rendezvous support for iPhoto, iTunes, (maybe iMovie or iDVD?)

5. More Midi stuff

6. More optimization

7. Some nice highquality folder icons for customization (like work, or downloads, or stuff like that)

8. Aqua Icon ScreenSaver back from the dead

9. More Simple Finder features... cm'on, they are pretty one-sided now, don't cha think?

10. Easier to create shared folders, such as if two students are working on an iMovie, and they want to be able to work on it on either's account, it would make everything much more easier for lab set-ups

11. Some cool new feature us simple minded folks ne'er thought to think....:cool:
  • Reply 4 of 48
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Something I haven't yet thought of... but Apple has.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    "caramel bacon":cool:
  • Reply 6 of 48
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Well....

Desktop Advances

1. Multiple Desktops - I didn't think was that cool until I saw someone's desktop images....wow...to get that customization with one click!!

2. Integrated "Minimize in Place"

3. Video Wallpaper

4. Ctrl-Alt mouse click on icons that opens an icon editing program instantly

5. Easier Theme manipulations

Hardware driven advances

Rendezvous for more periferals

Clustering options and support for new Sonnet quad G4 boards.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Something I haven't yet thought of... but Apple has.

lol Exactly.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

3. Video Wallpaper

That would get annoying real quick. So quick in fact that even *you* would probably revert back to still image desktop pictures in less than a minute.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    1. iChat should get out of beta (face it, it's a beta-quality app, not worth of a 1.0 release). It needs to quit trying to send images as embedded in an instant message and just send anything and everything as a file for use with file transfers. I always have to put images into a folder. Also, you should be able to choose between consolidating multiple screen names into a single person or not. There are other things, these are just the first two that came to mind.

2. Spring-loaded folders in the dock.

3. A better systemwide image storage/organization/viewing setup. I have over 1000 assorted desktop pictures, logos, and other things () and if OS X could keep them organized in a faster and better application than iPhoto, that would be awesome. I've been using my new PC for the last few days and I have to hand it to Windows XP for having a much better image management system than OS X, mainly because OS X doesn't have one. If Apple tried on this they could blow Windows out of the water.

4. Support for more disc formats, like DVD+R/RW and DVD-RW (right now I think they only support DVD-R, although lots of people are getting DVD-RWs to work). Also, being able to drag things on and off of a CD-RW disc as if it's a zip disk or something would be nice, right now PCs can do this but Macs cant. Apple doesn't need to start bundling DVD+R/RW drives with their computers, obviously they want the standard they support to win. But they should at least give people the choice.

5. Better multi-button mouse support. Finally, years and years after two button mice, they've started supporting two buttons and a non-clickable scroll wheel. It's a good start, but it would be much MUCH better if they had support for lots of buttons. Right now the most-buttoned mouse is the Logitech MX500/MX700 I think, with seven buttons plus a clickable scroll wheel. To use it you have to use special driver software from Logitech that is buggy and hasn't been updated in months (or maybe even more than a year). Support in the OS for it would be very cool.

P.S. I have no idea what the hell metadata is but since everyone seems to want it I suppose they should put it in.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Yes, I would get tired of it if it was just a full screen movie always running.... but think about what it might be like if motion in the wallpaper was enabled. It could mean:

1. slowly morphing textures or colors on the desktop like a screen saver that doesn't go away when you are working

2. small windows for webcams or music videos that you want in the background. I liked keeping the BBC on QT active in a large dock always on while working. I could turn the volume up or down as desired, but I was always "tuned in."

3. updated sports tickers

Now this obviously is nothing that you couldn't do already with QT or other apps/screen savers in the background that you could find off Version Tracker.

However if you could mod your desktop with embedded windows, I think some real intriguing, non-annoying ideas could be implemented in a very elegant way....and force everyone (even non-gamers) to upgrade their graphics cards and OS to the most extreme.

It would probably take forever for the computer to boot and internet feeds need high bandwidth. But, for example, wouldn't it be great to have a tab to a virtual desktop called "news" that you could hit and have the desktop full of QT windows with CNN, ABC, Fox (ha, ha, well of course not Fox...I mean REAL news broadcasts) etc. sitting there on the desktop and you don't have to open 6 different QT windows and get them all lined up and .... okay, sorry for going on about it.

It would be like many OS GUI advances....most of them started out as independent apps that got folded into the desktop format...and once the technique is enabled, people would design elegant uses for the tools.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I really can't see not upgrading. So 'availability' is the only feature I need.

For the most part, every update brings advancements. I've committed myself to OSX, so I will upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    1: A ?Switch User? type feature, as opposed to completely logging out.

2: The ability to tab finder windows on the screen edges. No third party shareware apps for me. No, I want it built in.

3: I want the option to sort the items in the column view; i.e. size, date modified etc.

4: Some more speed would be nice as well.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Also, being able to drag things on and off of a CD-RW disc as if it's a zip disk or something would be nice, right now PCs can do this but Macs cant.

Agree 100% It seems ridiculous to me they don't have this capability yet, as well as multi session CD-R without jumping through unintuitive, very un mac-like hoops.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    What are the features of 10.3? Kind of hard to decide without knowing those features.

I'd buy it regardless, but here is some wishful thinking:

1. Sizable toolbar, a shelf, in Finder windows.

2. Sizable Dock with icon names, making it like a shelf. Thinking of the NEXTSTEP 4 Alpha tabbed shelf here, but without the tabs. Should be able store all sorts of things there including color swatches, fonts, etc.

3. A (public) NSDockExtraApp API. The trash can should be a DockExtra application, amongst others. Since it can be app, a trash.app can be written to permanently delete stuff.

4. A (public) NSScreenEdgeApp API for apps that live on the edges of the screen. The MenuBar would be such an application. Menu Extras would be such apps.

5. Solve the contrast issues amongst overlapping windows, they are hard to differentiate somtimes: a) An 8 to 10 pixel brushmetal border on the sides of all UI apps, some have them some don't. b) Reduce the shadow while giving background windows a reduction in contrast (like a loss of stripes or texture or darkening/lightening).

6. User applied magnetic window borders within app windows and between windows of different apps.

7. User applied window groupings. An iconic representation of it can be placed on the dock, when clicked, it brings thw window grouping forward.

8. iChat should include Yahoo and MSN IM services.

9. More multithreaded, velocity engine and quartz extreme goodness

[edit: grammar...]
  • Reply 15 of 48
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I'm with THT on #9

• Reply 16 of 48
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Cocoa Finder

Cocoa Quicktime

Quartz Extreme Extreme

Brushed Metal!
  • Reply 17 of 48
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I know there is a haxie available but no one wants labels anymore?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Ability to cut and paste (not just copy and paste) files. That means cutting one, going to the destination folder, and pasting it. But Luca, you say, what happens when you cut one file and then cut another without pasting the first? Doesn't the first one go away? Well, simple, the first one just goes back to how it was. Copying and pasting files is pretty useful for single-window browsing of the Finder, but it requires you to go back and delete the original once it's copied.

I've been using XP a lot lately, and this is one of the things I like about it. When you cut a file, it just turns transparent until you paste it, and then it is removed. When you copy something else, it just turns solid again.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    1. It should be fully backward compatible with all PPC Macs. (e.x. floppy or modem support for G3 PBs)

2. Expand and in some cases just have DVD functionality.

3. As big as newer Mac drives are, it should come with a full featured integrated backup program.

4. A new ResEdit type tool, for those that love to customize everything on their Mac.

5. A new Software Update that is alot smarter and is able to update different versions of programs for each MacOS on a system.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Ability to cut and paste (not just copy and paste) files. That means cutting one, going to the destination folder, and pasting it. But Luca, you say, what happens when you cut one file and then cut another without pasting the first? Doesn't the first one go away? Well, simple, the first one just goes back to how it was. Copying and pasting files is pretty useful for single-window browsing of the Finder, but it requires you to go back and delete the original once it's copied.

I've been using XP a lot lately, and this is one of the things I like about it. When you cut a file, it just turns transparent until you paste it, and then it is removed. When you copy something else, it just turns solid again.

I don't think thats good though. Cuz thats not how Cut works everywhere else. It would introduce an inconsistency, and that would lead to the eventual downfall of mank-ind. Cutting should put the file into the clipboard (is it still called that in osx?); and cutting or copying again should destroy the file. Possibly allowig an undo to replace the old file. But, I think it would be realy bad to put a cut that doesn't really cut it. It might even be better to avoid the whole cutting scene, so as not to deal with that flaring inconsistency.

-

The feature I want in order to pay for x.3: speed. i want a huge increase in spead all over the place; some how, i want this next point release to so dramatically increase the spead, that i simultaneously crap and shit myself.