Kuo: Redesigned MacBook Pro models with MagSafe, no Touch Bar, more ports coming in Q3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The TouchBar was meant as a substitute for touch screen displays.  
    Apple not only lost that battle but, the industry has already moved on from that primitive configuration.

The future is in 2 in 1's.
    My 8th grade grandson needs either a 2 in 1 or both a laptop and a separate tablet if he is going to complete his school work. 
    A MacBook can't do it by itself and neither can an iPad do it by itself (although it can come closer!) -- and that's for an 8th grade student!

It's yet to be determined if the iPad will fill the role of the 2 in 1 or if it will be the MacBook -- or maybe a brand new third product.   But Apple has fallen too far behind the times and, one way or another needs to catch back up.

• Reply 42 of 91
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    No disrespect to Kuo but Mark Gurman’s track record is far better 

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1349973715623178241?s=21
    They both said exactly the same thing. 
  • Reply 43 of 91
    dewme said:
    This may sound trivial to some folks, but when it comes to ports I’m just as concerned about port placement as the number of ports. The new MacBook Air has both of its only TB ports on the same side of the chassis. I would far prefer one TB port on each side. I just don’t like cables sticking out the sides too close to the keyboard, especially when using an external mouse. If adding more ports means bringing the ports closer to the front of the chassis, I’m going to have a problem with these. Ideally the ports that are plugged/unplugged less often, like the power connector or a dock connector, would be placed on the rear, but the current screen hinge designs prohibit such placement. There’s a reason the product “glamour photos” of MacBooks (and all laptops) never show stuff plugged into the ports, it starts to look like claptrap very quickly. But who knows, perhaps Apple will redesign the MacBook such that its screen “floats” like the screen on the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard so they can put some ports in the back.
    I agree. Work got me the new MacBook Pro 13 inch and the only problem I have with it is the lack of Ports on the right. Theres two on the left. 

utterly awesome machine beside that. Working all day today ( and I use Xcode) and battery is 70%. Light, fast, excellent. Beats the crap out of the last MacBook Pro 15 I had.

As for the Touch Bar, won't miss it. Obviously they will keep fingerprint recognition.
  • Reply 44 of 91

- deleted-
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 45 of 91

Why is it so hard to get outside the comments when you click within them? 
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Apple not only lost that battle but, the industry has already moved on from that primitive configuration.

My 8th grade grandson needs either a 2 in 1 or both a laptop and a separate tablet if he is going to complete his school work. 
    A MacBook can't do it by itself and neither can an iPad do it by itself (although it can come closer!) -- and that's for an 8th grade student!

It's yet to be determined if the iPad will fill the role of the 2 in 1 or if it will be the MacBook -- or maybe a brand new third product.   But Apple has fallen too far behind the times and, one way or another needs to catch back up.

Not going to happen. Two totally different paradigms. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 91
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I've got everything crossed that this is true.

Yes, some people have found the Touch Bar useful, but I think it hasn't caught on in a big way. If removing it enables Apple to reduce the price of the MacBook Pro, or keep it the same but introduce other new tech like mini-LED displays, then I think that's a good trade-off.

MagSafe was obviously an excellent technology, so getting rid of it was very unfortunate. You can already get third-party cables that are USB-C at one end, and MagSafe at the other, to power MagSafe MacBooks from USB-C power supplies (I have a couple of USB-C power supplies, one USB-C to MagSafe cable, and one USB-C to MagSafe 2 cable, and several MacBook Pros in the house; this solution works great).

As for ports - USB-C/Thunderbolt/USB 4 is great for docks, external GPUs, super-fast external drives, etc., but really it's best for the first of these - docks. It has absolutely not made USB-A obsolete, nor HDMI. So, if a MacBook Pro has four USB-C ports, a USB-A port, and an HDMI port, is that really going to be less appealing to anybody at all? To me this is an absolute no-brainer. Put a USB-A port and an HDMI port in there and the appeal of the computer can only increase!
  • Reply 48 of 91
    asdasd said:

You sure about that?
    With a keyboard and mouse the iPad is already better than half way there -- they just have to build out the OS so it has the power needed to do the job in its laptop mode.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    asdasd said:

… the iPad is … better than half way there -- they just have to build out the OS so it has the power needed to do the job in its laptop mode.
    Read: let it run macOS Big Sur when keyboard and mouse are connected. macOS Big Sur introduced quite a few touch-friendly changes to the UI. It can't be a coincidence.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 50 of 91
    asdasd said:

You sure about that?
    With a keyboard and mouse the iPad is already better than half way there -- they just have to build out the OS so it has the power needed to do the job in its laptop mode.
    Nowhere near. The keyboard for the iPad allows you to type text faster and that is about it. A full laptop OS is driven by mouse inputs which affects all the UI and UX, everything is different. And the folder structure is different. 

Why would Apple do this anyway?
  • Reply 51 of 91
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    asdasd said:

Why is it so hard to get outside the comments when you click within them? 
    Whenever I typed the first letter of a reply incorrectly and deleted it to redo it, the insertion point would then jump into the quoted text and be almost impossible to get out. The same thing would happen if I clicked on a suggested word to replace what I'd typed for the first word in a reply. 

I couldn't know if AI had been tweaking the post editor or if it was a Chrome issue. Or maybe a Microsoft Keyboard issue. 

Lately, though I rarely see the problem. I'm happy about that because it's a royal pain when the insertion point jumps in there. 
    asdasd
  • Reply 52 of 91
    asdasd said:
    No disrespect to Kuo but Mark Gurman’s track record is far better 

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1349973715623178241?s=21
    They both said exactly the same thing. 
    Yes, they did. The point I was trying to get at is that Kuo’s track record with product leaks is poor while Gurman is far more accurate. I trust this leak now that Gurman has reported on it. Had he not, I wouldn’t have given much credence to Kuo’s report. 
    asdasd
  • Reply 53 of 91
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

You sure about that?
    Nowhere near. The keyboard for the iPad allows you to type text faster and that is about it. A full laptop OS is driven by mouse inputs which affects all the UI and UX, everything is different. And the folder structure is different. 

Why does Windows do it? Sales of Windows 2-in-1 laptops are increasing. Just how Apple added KB & trackpad support to iPadOS for users that find that feature useful, there’s nothing stopping Apple from adding Pencil & touch-screen support to macOS for Mac users that would find that useful. 

Adding touch / Pencil to macOS doesn’t take away from its UI anymore than adding KB / trackpad to iPadOS takes away from its UI. 

As far the different folder structure goes that isn’t UI dependent. iPadOS file structure is due to the fact that the OS is locked down & sandboxed where as macOS is significantly less so. Apple can change that if it chooses to do so 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 54 of 91
    mr. h said:
    asdasd said:

… the iPad is … better than half way there -- they just have to build out the OS so it has the power needed to do the job in its laptop mode.
    Read: let it run macOS Big Sur when keyboard and mouse are connected. macOS Big Sur introduced quite a few touch-friendly changes to the UI. It can't be a coincidence.

That may be exactly what is needed -- a dual OS.  Others have already done that.

But I think that Apple can enhance iPad OS to better meet the needs of laptop users.   They've done a lot already -- and that was likely the reason that they split it off from iOS in the first place:  they knew where this was headed.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    mr. h said:
    asdasd said:

That may be exactly what is needed -- a dual OS.  Others have already done that.

But I think that Apple can enhance iPad OS to better meet the needs of laptop users.   They've done a lot already -- and that was likely the reason that they split it off from iOS in the first place:  they knew where this was headed.
    That’s one option. The other option being that Apple could add touch / Pencil capability to macOS & bring that to the iPad Pro. 
  • Reply 56 of 91
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

You sure about that?

Why would they not do it?
  • Reply 57 of 91
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:

You sure about that?

Why does Windows do it? Sales of Windows 2-in-1 laptops are increasing. Just how Apple added KB & trackpad support to iPadOS for users that find that feature useful, there’s nothing stopping Apple from adding Pencil & touch-screen support to macOS for Mac users that would find that useful. 

Adding touch / Pencil to macOS doesn’t take away from its UI anymore than adding KB / trackpad to iPadOS takes away from its UI. 

As far the different folder structure goes that isn’t UI dependent. iPadOS file structure is due to the fact that the OS is locked down & sandboxed where as macOS is significantly less so. Apple can change that if it chooses to do so 

I agree -- except that I think it's when, not if.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 58 of 91
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    After using it for 2 ½ years on my MBP the Touch Bar is a big Meh. Occasionally it's helpful, most often it's a big gimmick. Save the money and leave it out.

I still miss MagSafe on a regular basis. The magsafe connector was far easier to connect and also had a convenient LED to know when you were done charging. Considering that charging is the one thing that EVERY laptop user does, it makes sense to have a dedicated connection for it. (I've tried a 3rd party USB C magnetic charging adapter and it was garbage - I want apple quality on this!)

I still miss USB A ports. Just last week I got a Logitech wireless mouse that had... a USB A connector! This week I got a new BT keyboard, and it also came with a USB A cord! If they're are obsolete, Apple really needs to tell the rest of the world that's still using them. Honestly, an HDMI port would be nice, too. Yes, you can use USB C for video, but I just bought a new 4k monitor and pretty much every monitor on the market has HDMI. I only found a handful that had USB C. The other problem with using TB/USB C for the monitor is that any other USB connection through it is significantly slowed so you end up having to use 2 ports anyway. 

GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamrazorpit
  • Reply 59 of 91
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    DAalseth said:
    Why assume that the MagSafe used on the new MBP models will be the same as the old one? Apple resurrected the name for the iPhone 12 for a wireless charging system. Possibly there will be NO charging plug and the MBP would be charged wirelessly. 
    Yes, It may attach to the back of the display lid ideally using the MAGsafe charger from the iPhone would be best.
    Detnator
  • Reply 60 of 91
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

flydog said:
    bala1234 said:
    Both are welcome but I have a my doubts about magsafe coming back. Removing an unpopular feature (apologies to the touch bar aficionados) is one thing. Bringing back an old port in my opinion is no Apple style....
    What is this based on?  Did you conduct a survey of the 30 million or so people who own a touchbar Mac?  Please share the results with us.

30 Million is a drop in the bucket of even Mac users let alone iPhone.