Kuo: Redesigned MacBook Pro models with MagSafe, no Touch Bar, more ports coming in Q3

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    k2kw said:
    DAalseth said:
    Why assume that the MagSafe used on the new MBP models will be the same as the old one? Apple resurrected the name for the iPhone 12 for a wireless charging system. Possibly there will be NO charging plug and the MBP would be charged wirelessly. 
    Yes, It may attach to the back of the display lid ideally using the MAGsafe charger from the iPhone would be best.
    That thing is capable of what, 15W? Haha, yeah no.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    mr. h said:
    It's quite infuriating when people refer to USB-A as a "legacy" port. It is not legacy, it is a ubiquitous, industry-standard connector that is just not going away like people thought it would (mainly for the reason I outlined earlier). iMacs, Mac minis, and Mac Pros all still have USB-A, although ironically it's the portables that need USB-A more (to save having to carry around a dongle/adaptor).
    It provides exactly zero advantages over USB-C, which is better in absolutely every way. It's only a matter of time, it's just the industry moves slowly. 

I will eat my shoe if Apple brings back USB-A on its laptops at this point.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    frantisek said:

frantisek said:
    And what about more powerful Mac mini. There is no single rumor about it.
    You mean the one that just came out a couple months ago?

Hahaha. No. I mean one that will will have more ports and more powerful M1variant  and will replace current Intel version. Apple could easily stick 4x M1 into these chassis without thermal issue.
    Yeah, it's just weird to derail comments about a different set of Mac updates with "what about" comments about one of the few that were *just* updated. 
  • Reply 84 of 91
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    I have a feeling MS will have no choice but to reinvest itself in to a Win 10 ARM version. Now that it sees what Apple has done to its operating system under ARM, they really don’t have a choice. Might take 2-3 years, but it will come.
    What's this then:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/arm/
    I didn’t deny it exists, I meant actually start promoting it.  Make ARM machines, advertise the benefits of ARM to consumers like Apple is doing with M1. Get developers to start porting, etc. That’s what I mean by reinvestment.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    I like the Touch Bar. Would love to see it expanded, not removed. Would love for its height to be doubled. Physical escape key was excellent update.

MagSafe is awesome. However, charging via USB-C is incredibly practical.

Honestly, what’s more pro than TB3/4 and USB-C 4? Everything should keep moving that direction. Adding other ports is going backwards. 
  • Reply 86 of 91
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    I like the Touch Bar. Would love to see it expanded, not removed. Would love for its height to be doubled. Physical escape key was excellent update.

MagSafe is awesome. However, charging via USB-C is incredibly practical.

Honestly, what’s more pro than TB3/4 and USB-C 4? Everything should keep moving that direction. Adding other ports is going backwards. 
    If it’s a new port then it will charge better than USB-PD.  Many people sees the opposite and overrated the “magnetic” part, which can be done on any charging port.

• Reply 87 of 91
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    mr. h said:
    DuhSesame said:

To those who’s hoping for for the USB-A: no.  Otherwise there’ll be rumors for it.
    Sadly, I think you may be correct.
    DuhSesame said:
    Apple portables are done with any legacy port.
    It's quite infuriating when people refer to USB-A as a "legacy" port. It is not legacy, it is a ubiquitous, industry-standard connector that is just not going away like people thought it would (mainly for the reason I outlined earlier). iMacs, Mac minis, and Mac Pros all still have USB-A, although ironically it's the portables that need USB-A more (to save having to carry around a dongle/adaptor).

mr. h said:
    It provides exactly zero advantages over USB-C, which is better in absolutely every way. It's only a matter of time, it's just the industry moves slowly. 

“Legacy” is a term used for obsolete, unused hardware or protocols. USB A is neither. While it is older than USB C, is it still actively being used in millions (? Billions) of devices and new devices using USB A are still being produced en mass. I bought an Apple keyboard yesterday that came with a USB A cable. Why would Apple ship an obsolete cable? Simple - because it’s not obsolete. The USB C connector is capable of handling faster speeds than USB A, but currently, the majority of USB C ports are simply USB 3 protocol, something USB A handles just fine. 

USB A has one critical advantage over USB C - compatibility. There are currently orders of magnitude more USB A devices than USB C devices on the market, and the vast majority of computers being sold today still have USB A ports. 

USB A is somewhat like the 3.5 mm jack. Everyone screamed that it was obsolete to justify removing it from the iphone, but Apple still includes it on MacBooks, iPads, etc. ‘obsolete’ is just a false excuse.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    MplsP said:
    mr. h said:
    DuhSesame said:

To those who’s hoping for for the USB-A: no.  Otherwise there’ll be rumors for it.
    DuhSesame said:

mr. h said:

“Legacy” is a term used for obsolete, unused hardware or protocols. USB A is neither. While it is older than USB C, is it still actively being used in millions (? Billions) of devices and new devices using USB A are still being produced en mass. I bought an Apple keyboard yesterday that came with a USB A cable. Why would Apple ship an obsolete cable? Simple - because it’s not obsolete. The USB C connector is capable of handling faster speeds than USB A, but currently, the majority of USB C ports are simply USB 3 protocol, something USB A handles just fine. 

USB A has one critical advantage over USB C - compatibility. There are currently orders of magnitude more USB A devices than USB C devices on the market, and the vast majority of computers being sold today still have USB A ports. 

USB A is somewhat like the 3.5 mm jack. Everyone screamed that it was obsolete to justify removing it from the iphone, but Apple still includes it on MacBooks, iPads, etc. ‘obsolete’ is just a false excuse.
    You know what I mean by “legacy.”  It stops at 10Gbps and you won’t see another one on their laptops.  Nobody is claiming that Type-A will be gone tomorrow, just like Micro USB they’re cheaper by a lot.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    DuhSesame said:
    MplsP said:
    mr. h said:
    DuhSesame said:

DuhSesame said:

mr. h said:

You know what I mean by “legacy.”  It stops at 10Gbps and you won’t see another one on their laptops.  Nobody is claiming that Type-A will be gone tomorrow, just like Micro USB they’re cheaper by a lot.
    As I said, the term ‘legacy’ is generally used to refer to functionality that is no longer current, something that doesn’t apply to USB A. 

Unfortunately, I think you are correct about Apple not putting a usb A port on a MacBook. Phil Schiller said ‘USB C is the future’ when they took out all the other ports 5 years ago. Well, I’m still waiting for the future. The only think I use USB C for on my MBP is charging. I have a USB A security key, a USB 3 external drive, and an HDMI monitor. Friends have also given me USB A flash drives. 

For the average user, USB C really provides no advantages at this time, other than buying more adapters. 

• Reply 90 of 91
    I think I'm the only odd one out in here. Im not too overly concerned with I/O. to increase or decrease, bring back or not bring back. Although a welcome change to require less dongles that's for sure. Im still rocking the very first Retina 15" MacBook Pro to this date. Ill be getting the next 16" MacBook Pro for certain this year. My main few concerns are actually the CPU/GPU, the battery and design. The design is probably my most concerning point which has nothing to do with aesthetics. 

1. CPU/GPU: Im more than confident that Apple will introduce the M1X or what ever it will be called and it will outdo Intel as expected. However, I do wish that Apple will consider putting more than just 16 core GPU in the chip and have an option to go 32 core as CTO upgrades. With a higher performance GPU, it will then take some time for devs to exploit the GPU count in later updates in 3D softwares, editing and games. 

2. Battery: I owned the 17" MacBook Pro and have experienced repeated Battery bulge over the years of ownership. It was quire a fire hazard if you ask me. Thought that the Retina MacBook Pro would do away with the problem since they're using a different battery design. But no. Here I am typing on this thing and I can't press my trackpad. The battery bulge is something APPLE urgently needs to address. Its really dangerous. 

3. Design: I really do not care about thinness or weight. I use my Mac Laptop as a desktop replacement. I want this thing to be a beast when it comes to performance. So that it will last me over the years while still being powerful. Im not liking this trend of overly making things too thin. Especially when the iPads are bending. For a $3000+ device, it shouldn't do that. Im all for design changes etc, but it should not come at a cost of durability. If apple wants to go thinner, they better make sure that the unibody is made with a different material so it doesn't bend. Or if they wish to remain on Aluminum, they need to go composite or super high strength alloy. As a designer my self, the current wedge design allows room for structural spines to exist (cross section). If they went all out on super thin, I fear that there will be very little room left for such structural reinforcement feature. I really hope they pay attention to this as a bending $3500-5000 MacBook Pro is gonna cause a lot of issues. 

My 15" Retina isn't heavy, its thin enough. Im ok with this. I don't find it heavy nor too thick. Im a gym rat so this is nothing. Strength of the unibody is what concerns me. Personally, if the current 16" is causing people issues with the weight, I recommend going to the Air or the 13" Pro. For the rest, the 16" might as well get heavier or thicker if it means durability and performance can be assured. The expected new 16" are machines that will be rendering 3D models, render AE footage, Vector graphics etc. It will be hauled everywhere to get the job done outside offices. I do this on a daily basis and it doest weight anything. 
  • Reply 91 of 91
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    frantisek said:
    And what about more powerful Mac mini. There is no single rumor about it.
    I believe we’re going to see a Mac Mini Pro for two reasons: first is that the new M1 version is silver. If they’d made it Space Grey that would have signaled “that’s all folks.” Second, there has been rumors of a new Mac Cube, so perhaps that’ll be the Mac Mini Pro. All I want is a Mac Mini-esque box with 4 TB4, 2-4 USB3.2, 2 HDMI, 16 cores, 32GB RAM, and 2TB SSD. All for $2700-3500.