AirPods Max 'devastatingly overengineered' but repairable, demonstrates teardown

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Ofer said:
    MplsP said:
    "after tearing down some of the competition, we're more understanding of that $550 price tag"

The real question is is the (over) engineering justified and necessary? On one hand one can argue that the AirPods max are better built than other headphones and the price is justified. On the other hand one could say that other 'less engineered' headphones have good sound and the extra design and construction costs of the AirPods Max's are not justified. Like everything with these, it is the eye o the beholder.

AGREED 100%. At the end of the day, if you have a pair of headphones that provides the same level of sound quality and comfort but at a far more reasonable price, then I would say it’s not really justified.
     A headphone having good sound and the same sound as Airpods max is not the same thing.

Sound and price are subjective when it comes to headphones. If something else sounds better to you then get it.. if something costs less and has lesser sound quality and that works for you so be it.

There is a weird obsession with justifying the price of these headphones as if there is not a single other company making a product at or above this price point. That simply isn't the case. I have watched multiple reviews that quote the Sony XM4's price at the holiday sale price of $278.00 to make the Max seem that much more expensive haha.. The XM4's are $349.00 even on Amazon right now which is the same price they released at.

Last point I think people aren't considering.. Apple still owns and produces Beats branded headphones that fill that $199.00 - $349.00 price range. Why would they cannibalize those sales with a pair of Apple branded cans at that same price point? Doesn't make sense.

• Reply 22 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jcs2305 said:
    Ofer said:
    MplsP said:
    "after tearing down some of the competition, we're more understanding of that $550 price tag"

The real question is is the (over) engineering justified and necessary? On one hand one can argue that the AirPods max are better built than other headphones and the price is justified. On the other hand one could say that other 'less engineered' headphones have good sound and the extra design and construction costs of the AirPods Max's are not justified. Like everything with these, it is the eye o the beholder.

AGREED 100%. At the end of the day, if you have a pair of headphones that provides the same level of sound quality and comfort but at a far more reasonable price, then I would say it’s not really justified.
     A headphone having good sound and the same sound as Airpods max is not the same thing.

Sound and price are subjective when it comes to headphones. If something else sounds better to you then get it.. if something costs less and has lesser sound quality and that works for you so be it.

There is a weird obsession with justifying the price of these headphones as if there is not a single other company making a product at or above this price point. That simply isn't the case. I have watched multiple reviews that quote the Sony XM4's price at the holiday sale price of $278.00 to make the Max seem that much more expensive haha.. The XM4's are $349.00 even on Amazon right now which is the same price they released at.

Last point I think people aren't considering.. Apple still owns and produces Beats branded headphones that fill that $199.00 - $349.00 price range. Why would they cannibalize those sales with a pair of Apple branded cans at that same price point? Doesn't make sense. 
    I don’t think Apple gives a hoot about cannibalising Beats sales if it’s to the benefit of Apple’s core brand. If they did care then why would they sell AirPods and AirPods Pro in direct competition with Beats in-ear buds?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    crowley said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Ofer said:
    MplsP said:

I don’t think Apple gives a hoot about cannibalising Beats sales if it’s to the benefit of Apple’s core brand. If they did care then why would they sell AirPods and AirPods Pro in direct competition with Beats in-ear buds?
    I've always seen Beats earbuds for the gym or working out, or just more so for activity than Airpods or Airpods Pro. So I never thought of them directly competing.

• Reply 24 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    With all that engineering, they could have accommodated a power button. The battery drain is too fast. The factory reset workaround is a bit of a pain. 

I remember someone telling me that the iPod was badly engineered because it could only go to sleep and could not be switched off. However, the iPod never had such a severe battery drain. 

It is pure bliss when I put them on and listen to my music, but the battery drain and case are legitimate complains, IMO.
    AppleInsider staff have not encountered excessive battery drain during regular use, even when pairing to multiple devices and using auto-switching.”
    I have. Hence my comment.
    While we still haven't seen it, reboot the headphones and the problem is solved in much the same way a computer reboot solves issues sometimes.
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 25 of 25
    With all that engineering, they could have accommodated a power button. The battery drain is too fast. The factory reset workaround is a bit of a pain. 

I remember someone telling me that the iPod was badly engineered because it could only go to sleep and could not be switched off. However, the iPod never had such a severe battery drain. 

It is pure bliss when I put them on and listen to my music, but the battery drain and case are legitimate complains, IMO.
    AppleInsider staff have not encountered excessive battery drain during regular use, even when pairing to multiple devices and using auto-switching.”
    I have. Hence my comment.
    While we still haven't seen it, reboot the headphones and the problem is solved in much the same way a computer reboot solves issues sometimes.
    Thanks, Mike. I'll give it a shot.