Apple named world's most valuable brand, beating Amazon and Google

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has again been named the most valuable brand in the world by Brand Finance, in both its US and global ranking. Its rise is attributed to its diversification into services, including Apple TV+.

The shelter-in-place orders impact nearly 7 million Bay Area residents, including Apple employees in Santa Clara County.
The shelter-in-place orders impact nearly 7 million Bay Area residents, including Apple employees in Santa Clara County.

Five years after it last held the title, and then barely hung on to second place, Apple has reclaimed the top spot as Brand Finance's most valuable brand in the world. Heading both the Brand Finance US 500 2021, and the company's Global 500 2021 listings too, Apple's brand value is estimated at $263.4 billion.

Reportedly, that is an 87% increase in estimated value since last year, which the company attributes to Apple's diversification.

"Under Tim Cook's leadership, especially over the past five years," notes Brand Finance in a report summary, "Apple began to focus on developing its growth strategies above and beyond the iPhone - which in 2020 accounted for half of sales versus two-thirds in 2015."

"The diversification policy has seen the brand expand into digital and subscription services, including the App Store, iCloud, Apple Podcasts, Apple Music, Apple TV, and Apple Arcade. On New Year's Day alone, App Store customers spent US$540 million on digital goods and services," it continues.

"Steve Jobs' legacy continues to flow through Apple, with innovation built into the brand's DNA," said Laurence Newell, managing director of Brand Finance Americas, in a statement. "As Apple reclaims the title of the world's most valuable brand from Amazon five years since it last held the top spot, we are witnessing it Think Different once again."

"From Mac to iPod, to iPhone, to iPad, to Apple Watch, to subscription services, to infinity and beyond," continued Newell.

Brand Finance's metrics for calculating these values are a proprietary, though it has previously said that they meet international standards.

According to these figures, Amazon dropped from the top spot, having "managed to record a healthy 15% brand value growth to $254.2 billion." Brand Finance notes that Amazon is "one of the few brands that benefitted considerably from the pandemic."

Google moves to third place with what Brand Finance says is "its first ever decline" in brand value. The company attributes this to the coronavirus impact.

In the technology and media sectors, Tesla is listed as the fastest-growing brand in the rankings. And Netflix "enjoyed a spike in usage" because of the pandemic.

Other companies fared worse because of coronavirus. Boeing, American Airlines, United Airlines, and Delta, all lost around 40% of their brand value in the rankings.
steve_jobs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So what? Does this ranking translate to anything meaningful or is it just the bullshit it appears to be? How does one determine the ‘value’ of a brand anyway and how is it useful?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I think there are ways to determine the value of a brand. It’s not rocket science and you can look at it from multiple perspectives attached to mindshare and dollars. But what is odd is why Google would be on a list when Google makes...not a lot. They don’t come in contact with ones lifestyle in multiple ways, do they? I’d think Coke and Disney would be above Google for brand value. Or is it technology company brands only? I’d still put Amazon above Google for brand value.

But I a generally agree with the above post. It’s rather silly and worthless, but I think there are metrics that you could look at. What that actually means is where the silly comes in.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    lkrupp said:
    So what? Does this ranking translate to anything meaningful or is it just the bullshit it appears to be? How does one determine the ‘value’ of a brand anyway and how is it useful?
    You don't understand the meaning of the word value? Here is a simple example that may reduce the fog in your brain:

The value of a $100 bill is higher than a $1 bill.  Because the value of the $100 bill you can buy more things with it.  For example, if a pack of gum costs $1, you can buy 1 pack of gum with the $1 bill.  But with the $100 bill, you can buy 100 packs of gum.

So the $100 bill has more value than the $1 bill

Hope that helps!

cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    lkrupp said:
    It reminds me of the beauty pageant business, it's about those running them making money never really about the contestants.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Meh maybe so 

Apple has a lot of brand consistency and purity earning them loyal lemmings/cash cows. Cracks are starting to show in the mask however. But they are managing to keep up the show at the moment. 

But if was a totally ruthless business investor - I would put my money on Amazon. That is one dominant money machine. Has a dirty nose mind you. But hey!? Money is green
  • Reply 6 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    lkrupp said:
    I understand your question and in part, I agree. This does nothing to solve the problems we all face (pandemic, environment, unemployment, etc.) On the other hand, it’s very significant for investors and people who follow technology companies. It’s also a nice thing to hear for people who like Apple and it’s products. It may also respond to those who say that Tim Cook has done nothing after taking over from Steve Jobs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It will gain a little more valué at 5 PM eastern standard time during their quarterly report.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    kkqd1337 said:
    ... Cracks are starting to show in the mask however. But they are managing to keep up the show at the moment. 

Well then I'm a crack addict...

kkqd1337Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    flydog said:
    lkrupp said:
    You don't understand the meaning of the word value? Here is a simple example that may reduce the fog in your brain:

The value of a $100 bill is higher than a $1 bill.  Because the value of the $100 bill you can buy more things with it.  For example, if a pack of gum costs $1, you can buy 1 pack of gum with the $1 bill.  But with the $100 bill, you can buy 100 packs of gum.

So the $100 bill has more value than the $1 bill

Hope that helps!

You still did not answer the question of how the value of a brand is determined.  Attempt at erudition fails.

The only way you can put a dollar value on a brand is to put it up for sale and see how much people are willing to pay for it.  If Apple Corp. sells the Apple brand, will anyone be willing to pay $263 billion (the value given by the ranking) for it?  I think the answer is a clear no because if you purchase the Apple brand but are unable to deliver Apple-quality products, then despite using the Apple brand, you will not be making Apple-level profits.  The $263 billion you spent would just go down the drain.

The original poster is right, this global ranking is BS.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    thrang said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    ... Cracks are starting to show in the mask however. But they are managing to keep up the show at the moment. 

Well then I'm a crack addict...

do the same for amazon?

and i'm just saying... apple is pretty much a one trick pony compared to amazon. and apple pretending to be your best mate is the crack i'm talking about. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    newvideoaznewvideoaz Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    This is really simple.
    Brand value is when 10 shoppers stand in the Ketchup aisle at a grocery store.
    Most will walk away with a major brand like Heinz or Hunts. Why? Because they’ve experienced positive reinforcement with purchases of that brand over the years. They’re accustomed to the tastes and texture that those brands have consistently delivered, likely since they were little kids. 
    Yes, some “value shoppers” will choose less expensive “store brands or discount brands”  — BUT, (and here’s the crux of things) in the real world, the actual sales of those “trusted brand” products - in open store shelf competition across all shoppers - will HUGELY out-perform the competition, month after month, year after year, decade after decade. That’s brand value. It’s studied, it’s measurable. It’s accepted by economists (and accounting standards as a tangible asset called “good will”) because it always holds true over time. Period.
    edited January 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    kkqd1337 said:
    Meh maybe so 

Apple has a lot of brand consistency and purity earning them loyal lemmings/cash cows. Cracks are starting to show in the mask however. But they are managing to keep up the show at the moment. 

But if was a totally ruthless business investor - I would put my money on Amazon. That is one dominant money machine. Has a dirty nose mind you. But hey!? Money is green

How many shitty troll posts does one need to have, like this guy, before they're banned? Why do you post here, since you're so frothing at the mouth with hatred and disdain towards Apple, to the point of stating that the entire company is a charade masquerading behind nothing but a brand?

People like you have been spouting that shit for the past couple of decades (The end is near! Cracks are forming! Apple is doomed!) , and all the while Apple has become more and more successful and meaningful to people's lives. I see less "cracks" today than at anytime in Apple's history. They have massively improved their weakest aspects, have successfully created new product after new product, and proved the doubters wrong at every turn. Their future couldn't be brighter, taking into account their ecosystem, new M class silicon, insanely successful product line, operating systems, exploding services, etc. Tell me, where the fuck is this "show" and what is the "mask" hiding? I can think of no other company today that has MORE substance and fundamentals driving it.  Apple has earned every ounce of brand value is currently has. 

Amazon is obviously an insanely successful e-commerce company, but their products beyond that have been mostly mediocre, and failures. The echo line is successful, but it's also dirt cheap. No idea what the hell that has to do with Apple. 
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra