Apple's $111.4B Q1 shatters quarterly record with massive growth across all categories

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    1. Clearly, dooooomed!

2. Clearly, Cook = worst CEO everrrrrr

3. Analysts really show how much they don't know what they're doing without the major hints guidance gives them, don't they?
    edited January 2021 BeatsStrangeDays
  • Reply 62 of 75
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    Rayz2016 said:

Not keeping huge amounts of cash lying around will also discourage Wall Street hacks from speculating on massively useless takeovers. 
    Exactly right. That was the business of one of Mitt Romney's firms--take over troubled but cash rich companies, liquidate the cash pile to the new investors, then liquidate the other assets and shut the company down.

Not sure how this fits in with one of the other posts about those who "work hard" and those who don't work as hard.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    melgross said:

Apple stock down $4.00 in after hours, so a little profit taking, as usual after Apple earnings announcements.
    This isn’t usual. That’s a myth. Most of the time the stock goes up when they have a good report. But it’s like weather forecasting. People only seem to remember the few times when it’s wrong.
    Can we agree on "as often happens..."?  It's certainly not unusual for Apple to announce "record earnings" and still have the stock tumble overnight and into the next trading day.

Personally I lost about a month's salary today as a result (at least according to my Schwab app).  But I expect it will come back in the coming days or weeks.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    13485 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Not keeping huge amounts of cash lying around will also discourage Wall Street hacks from speculating on massively useless takeovers. 
    Exactly right. That was the business of one of Mitt Romney's firms--take over troubled but cash rich companies, liquidate the cash pile to the new investors, then liquidate the other assets and shut the company down.

Not sure how this fits in with one of the other posts about those who "work hard" and those who don't work as hard.
    I believe Rayz point was the opposite of that.  No one is speculating about someone taking over Apple.  The speculation is which Fortune 500 company (or startup unicorn) Apple should buy with the loose change in their coach cushions.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    I would like to see Apple invest some of that profit into better built, better quality products. They charge a significant premium. 
    This has been my experience with Apple:
    Bluetooth issues constantly with MacBook Pro 16 and AirPods Pro Max - still unresolved after weeks 
    MacBook Pro 16 with 5500m 8gb, fans pegged at 5600rpm and jet engine noise with external monitors plugged in with cpu at 10% load!
    3 months later Apple released the 5600M which does not have this problem - the timing of releasing a GPU upgrade so quickly after is telling
    2nd gen (ecosystem lock in sucks) MacBook Pro 15 with butterfly keyboard issues - serviced twice
    1st gen MacBook Pro 15, butterfly keyboard issues, Apple replaced it, also made clicking sounds, repaired
    Airpods battery issues, had them replaced twice

There are thousands of users who have posted about the above. When you contact Apple they either deny or obfuscate. In some cases eventually they acknowledge problems, albeit years later at which point live already offloaded the offending equipment. 

This company will never change its ways unless we consumers hold them to the fire. 
    I fucking love my Apple gear. But boy do they make it tough. 
  • Reply 66 of 75
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    melgross said:
    cg27 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Nice problem to have …

Why not keep as much net cash as possible?  Keep the powder dry for acquisitions, rainy days, dividend increases, or whatever.  Getting net cash to zero sounds dangerous should the economy really go south.  Maybe they’re just saying they’d like to get to zero but know that will never happen, because they won’t let it.

By removing unproductive cash from the balance sheet and using it to reduce the share count, a business increases the percentage of each dollar invested representing the operating business.  And at the same time increases the ownership percentage represented by each remaining outstanding share.  As a potential investor you want your invested dollars [capital] to purchase an operating business that produces outsized returns, not static and unproductive cash.  

There was a time a few years ago, back when Icahn was carping, that each dollar invested in Apple shares represented only 75 cents invested in the operating business and 25 cents invested to buy a bit of Apple’s cash hoard.  Most casual investors don’t think about that.  But what if you said to your broker, “please invest $100,000 from my account in this company I feel is a good business” and your broker replied, “sure, but I’m going to invest only $75,000 in the company’s shares and let the other $25,000 sit and do nothing for you.”  You’d question his action, and yet that’s exactly the decision that all of us investors faced, and made, when we bought Apple shares back in those days.  Get unproductive cash off the balance sheet, and put it to good use. 

That’s all nonsense! There are never proven theories about that. But none of them works in the real world.

as long as cash is earning enough to maintain a small positive direction, it’s not non productive. But buying massive amounts of shares back, and then cancelling them is destructive. The company has literally thrown well over $100 billion in the garbage over the years, and accumulated over $110 billion in debt, which is subject to interest.
    This is a remarkable statement, basically admonishing Luca (and Tim and the board), despite their proven business savvy.  While I don’t necessarily agree with stock buybacks, I have to imagine that these guys must know what they’re doing.
    MacPro
  • Reply 67 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    Tim just aped the administration’s nonsensical “build back better” line. Major eyeroll. 

Since Tim is so committed to giving away Apple’s money maybe he should go work in government.
    Build Back Better makes more sense than Be Best. 😆

They literally cannot spend their cash fast enough. Who gives a fuck if they give a tiny percentage of it away? Tim probably loses a million just using a leaf blower to clear piles or cash to get to his car in the morning. 
    Conservatives don’t understand that social responsibility is something that corporations need to have as part of their business plan. Historically, those that do, perform better in the long run, than these that don’t.

but conservatism is about greed, really. You know, from the album “The Wall” where there’s the line about “my pie”? They don’t get that the abhorrent greed they display that hurts others is hurting society, and therefor the economy, that powers their own income.
    Oh, come on Mel. Don’t use that tired old cliché about conservatives. Conservatives tend to be quite generous when it comes to donating money or time. What conservatives don’t abide is government or businesses wasting the money of others on their own private causes, as Tim is clearly doing. Tim should be as generous as he wants with his own salary or stock, not with the stock and cash of the company he works for. Tim does not own Apple. I own Apple. You own Apple. Millions of others own Apple. And if my opinion about Apple doesn’t matter, then neither does yours.
    Yes, I own Apple, and I totally agree with what is being done.

companies SHOULD have social responsibility. This goes back to Carnegie, and even earlier.
    tmayMacProStrangeDays
  • Reply 68 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

melgross said:
    cg27 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Nice problem to have …

Why not keep as much net cash as possible?  Keep the powder dry for acquisitions, rainy days, dividend increases, or whatever.  Getting net cash to zero sounds dangerous should the economy really go south.  Maybe they’re just saying they’d like to get to zero but know that will never happen, because they won’t let it.

By removing unproductive cash from the balance sheet and using it to reduce the share count, a business increases the percentage of each dollar invested representing the operating business.  And at the same time increases the ownership percentage represented by each remaining outstanding share.  As a potential investor you want your invested dollars [capital] to purchase an operating business that produces outsized returns, not static and unproductive cash.  

There was a time a few years ago, back when Icahn was carping, that each dollar invested in Apple shares represented only 75 cents invested in the operating business and 25 cents invested to buy a bit of Apple’s cash hoard.  Most casual investors don’t think about that.  But what if you said to your broker, “please invest $100,000 from my account in this company I feel is a good business” and your broker replied, “sure, but I’m going to invest only $75,000 in the company’s shares and let the other $25,000 sit and do nothing for you.”  You’d question his action, and yet that’s exactly the decision that all of us investors faced, and made, when we bought Apple shares back in those days.  Get unproductive cash off the balance sheet, and put it to good use. 

That’s all nonsense! There are never proven theories about that. But none of them works in the real world.

as long as cash is earning enough to maintain a small positive direction, it’s not non productive. But buying massive amounts of shares back, and then cancelling them is destructive. The company has literally thrown well over $100 billion in the garbage over the years, and accumulated over $110 billion in debt, which is subject to interest.
    There’s another point to be made about holding cash. The unchecked spending by the current AND prior administrations (yes, I’m including the recently voted out administration here also) and the Federal Reserve’s mandate for promoting full employment continue to wreak havoc on the US Dollar. And the COVID cash being sent out as a remedy for stagnant and collapsing consumer earning and spending will only hasten the devaluation of that cash on hand for Apple.
    It’s more complex-lex than that. But the only way to get out of a recession is to spend. We got that ridiculous tax bill in 2018 which caused a vast amount of deficit, and added $1.5 trillion to the national debt. That concerned me more. People need that money. Maybe if that idiot in the White Hoyse and his cronies treated the pandemic like intelligent people would have, we wouldn’t be in this position now. I don’t care if the dollar goes down. It’s good for exports, and discourages peo-le from buying non US made products. Get rid of the tariffs too, as that’s caused a slowdown in economic activity, as it always does.
    tmayMacPro
  • Reply 69 of 75
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    cg27 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Nice problem to have …

There’s another point to be made about holding cash. The unchecked spending by the current AND prior administrations (yes, I’m including the recently voted out administration here also) and the Federal Reserve’s mandate for promoting full employment continue to wreak havoc on the US Dollar. And the COVID cash being sent out as a remedy for stagnant and collapsing consumer earning and spending will only hasten the devaluation of that cash on hand for Apple.
    It’s more complex-lex than that. But the only way to get out of a recession is to spend. We got that ridiculous tax bill in 2018 which caused a vast amount of deficit, and added $1.5 trillion to the national debt. That concerned me more. People need that money. Maybe if that idiot in the White Hoyse and his cronies treated the pandemic like intelligent people would have, we wouldn’t be in this position now. I don’t care if the dollar goes down. It’s good for exports, and discourages peo-le from buying non US made products. Get rid of the tariffs too, as that’s caused a slowdown in economic activity, as it always does.
    If you hated the other guy, you’re going to lose it when you find out how much this new guy is going to cost you.
    applejakesBeatsdocno42
  • Reply 70 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    melgross said:

melgross said:
    cg27 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Nice problem to have …

If you hated the other guy, you’re going to lose it when you find out how much this new guy is going to cost you.
    I seem to recall similar comments when Obama inherited the disastrous mess Bush left (note, I am not blaming Bush alone per se but he didn't cope with it). At first, Obama had to spend like crazy too, remember the vast tracts of Interstates being improved? We can see in hindsight he and his teams pulled us through and did a good job. The thing is, if you go back over the last 100 years,  GOP administrations have not done so well for the nation although very well at widening the gap between rich and poor with the likes of the ludicrously insulting trickle-down economics type monetary policy.  That one would be funny but for being so sad, it was the same theory Feudalism was based on if you think about it.
    edited January 2021 StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 71 of 75
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Tim just aped the administration’s nonsensical “build back better” line. Major eyeroll. 

Since Tim is so committed to giving away Apple’s money maybe he should go work in government.
    Crank nonsense 
  • Reply 72 of 75

lkrupp said:
    Apple, proudly failing and racing toward bankruptcy since April 1, 1976!
    Love the profitability, hate the current Apple regime’s preaching.
    Yes, like equal civil rights for gays. Cranks aren’t aligned with Apple’s long held progressive ideas. Thankfully Apple isn’t and has never been about profitability alone. The type of community they operate in matters to them, and it’s a part of their success story. Find another company if things like this bother you. 
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 73 of 75
    I would like to see Apple invest some of that profit into better built, better quality products. They charge a significant premium. 
    This has been my experience with Apple:
    Bluetooth issues constantly with MacBook Pro 16 and AirPods Pro Max - still unresolved after weeks 
    MacBook Pro 16 with 5500m 8gb, fans pegged at 5600rpm and jet engine noise with external monitors plugged in with cpu at 10% load!
    3 months later Apple released the 5600M which does not have this problem - the timing of releasing a GPU upgrade so quickly after is telling
    2nd gen (ecosystem lock in sucks) MacBook Pro 15 with butterfly keyboard issues - serviced twice
    1st gen MacBook Pro 15, butterfly keyboard issues, Apple replaced it, also made clicking sounds, repaired
    Airpods battery issues, had them replaced twice

There are thousands of users who have posted about the above. When you contact Apple they either deny or obfuscate. In some cases eventually they acknowledge problems, albeit years later at which point live already offloaded the offending equipment. 

This company will never change its ways unless we consumers hold them to the fire. 
    I fucking love my Apple gear. But boy do they make it tough. 
    You experience isn’t typical. Of course there will be thousands of issues when millions and millions and millions are sold. 

As for contacting Apple for customer service, my 10-month-old AirPods Pro developed an issue (crackling audio when moving head), and Apple was easy to reach and readily took care of the issue (exchanged for new pair). 
  • Reply 74 of 75

melgross said:
    melgross said:

Build Back Better makes more sense than Be Best. 😆

They literally cannot spend their cash fast enough. Who gives a fuck if they give a tiny percentage of it away? Tim probably loses a million just using a leaf blower to clear piles or cash to get to his car in the morning. 
    Conservatives don’t understand that social responsibility is something that corporations need to have as part of their business plan. Historically, those that do, perform better in the long run, than these that don’t.

but conservatism is about greed, really. You know, from the album “The Wall” where there’s the line about “my pie”? They don’t get that the abhorrent greed they display that hurts others is hurting society, and therefor the economy, that powers their own income.
    Oh, come on Mel. Don’t use that tired old cliché about conservatives. Conservatives tend to be quite generous when it comes to donating money or time. What conservatives don’t abide is government or businesses wasting the money of others on their own private causes, as Tim is clearly doing. Tim should be as generous as he wants with his own salary or stock, not with the stock and cash of the company he works for. Tim does not own Apple. I own Apple. You own Apple. Millions of others own Apple. And if my opinion about Apple doesn’t matter, then neither does yours.
    Yes, I own Apple, and I totally agree with what is being done.

companies SHOULD have social responsibility. This goes back to Carnegie, and even earlier.
    Agreed. The new normal for is for corporate management to involve additional stakeholders than just stockholders. Employees, community, etc. The old model of profits at all cost and nothing else matters is simply stupid, and it’s nice to see major corporations realizing that. 

The butthurt old timers and wannabe armchair CEOs will die off.
  • Reply 75 of 75

melgross said:

melgross said:
    cg27 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Nice problem to have …

Trump spent more in a single term than any other non-war time US president in history. Nobody believes conservatives care about spending or deficits, as we all see it’s a lie. You only care when your guy loses. When your guy is in, tax cuts that fund our spending go away and you’re totally cool with it despite the math.  

edited January 2021 muthuk_vanalingam