Hyundai bosses 'agonizing' over whether to build 'Apple Car'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Executives at Hyundai say they are still unsure whether collaborating with Apple on the "Apple Car" is a good move.

Hyundai is believed to be considering using its Kia subsidiary to build the
Hyundai is believed to be considering using its Kia subsidiary to build the "Apple Car."

Although Apple has yet to comment in any way, it has recently and repeatedly been reported that Hyundai -- or its subsidiary Kia -- will make the forthcoming "Apple Car." Now executives at Hyundai say that the company is split over both how to do it, and whether they should.

According to Reuters, an unnamed Hyundai executive has said that the company has been in talks with Apple. He or she would not confirm, however, the status of the talks, or whether they were still continuing.

"We are agonizing over how to do it, whether it is good to do it or not," said the executive. "We are not a company that manufactures cars for others."

"It is not like working with Apple would always produce great results," he or she added. "Apple is the boss. They do their marketing, they do their products, they do their brand. Hyundai is also the boss. That does not really work."

A separate executive at the firm expressed the same concerns to Reuters. "Tech firms like Google and Apple want us to be like Foxconn," he or she said.

"A cooperation may initially help raise the brand image of Hyundai or Kia," this executive continued," but in the mid- or longer term, we will just provide shells for the cars, and Apple would do the brains."

A third insider said that Apple would be looking to source components from many suppliers, and use Hyundai to assemble the final vehicle.

"The [Hyundai Motor] Group is concerned that the Hyundai brand would become just Apple's contract manufacture," said this insider, "which would not help Hyundai in its effort to build a more premium image with its Genesis brand."

Despite the expectation that Apple will partner with a firm such as Hyundai to make the "Apple Car," JP Morgan analyst Samik Chatterjee believes it will manufacturer the vehicle itself. Chatterjee predicts that Apple will "go big or go home," over its "Apple Car" plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    Who is the boss?! It certainly doesn’t help to discuss this in public. B)
    leavingthebiggllamajahbladeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 82
    For this - they should only think about if it’s profitable over the long term.

they should leave the brand out of it.   

It’s like they want there cake and eat it too.

that makes it cloudy 
    omar moralesspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 82
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Of course they are worried what they got themselves into, they will have to deal with Apple exacting standards and their quality requirements. They are not know for innovation they recycle parts designs from so many other car companies As an example their late 2000’s minivan was recycled 1999 Ford Wiinstar design and parts.
    citylightsapplejahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 82
    It's a lose, lose situation so they should just go for it, eventually be acquired and have a happy retirement.
    ravnorodomHyperealitywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 82
    The sentiment’s not hard to understand: Consider if Hyundai came to Apple to ask it to make Hyundai branded laptops...

It’s not just about revenue or profits. 

Apple should consider investing in a small car company like Lotus. Or collaborating with JLR (Tata). 

Now that would be interesting!

h4y3sflyingdpjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 82
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    If Hyundai decides to Ditch Apple, and Apple doesn't find another car manufacturer ready to assemble their cars, it will become really tough for Apple. They will have to build their own factories which will further delay the project. Though I wonder why Magna didn't say yes to it. They are basically the Foxconn for car manufacturers. And I am sure Apple must have approached them earlier.
    edited January 2021 JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 82
    Without having crystal ball no one can predict result for car producer when they will join Apple. Apple is tough player and will look for own benefits. And may end up with buying company. No established car producer wants that.
    It is probable that later when electric car market mature some producers will struggle and Apple will buy it and leave its current partner.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Just buy Rivian and move forward as THEE BOSS!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 82
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Honestly I wouldn't want to partner with Apple on this at all.    There are very few car manufactures that have any experience at all building for others.   That is one point, but I'm not convinced that Apple has its crap together when it comes to mass producing complex products.   When you think about it a Mac or iPhone is not a complex manufacturing endeavor compared to building a car.   Beyond that there is a huge number of safety related issues that Apple has never had to address.

It is this production of a safe vehicle that likely has Hyundai executive so concerned.    Will Apple be accepting all liability for their design or will they try to saddle Hyundai with producing a safe car.   In any event there is enough idle production lines that Apple should have little problem buying up a production line and doing every thing themselves.
    llamaravnorodom
  • Reply 10 of 82
    I think that this would be a HUGE opportunity for Apple and Hyundai!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 82
    I am sure that in case that Hyundai is hesitating to cooperate, Apple has already a “Plan B”( maybe even “Plan C”, “Plan D”.......)
    I don't believe, that after so many years of investments and developing, Apple will stop with Apple Car project, somewhere in the middle of the road, 
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 82
    dk49 said:
    If Hyundai decides to Ditch Apple, and Apple doesn't find another car manufacturer ready to assemble their cars, it will become really tough for Apple. They will have to build their own factories which will further delay the project. Though I wonder why Magna didn't say yes to it. They are basically the Foxconn for car manufacturers. And I am sure Apple must have approached them earlier.
    Like you, I think Apple contacted Magna early in the process.  Probably one of the first companies Apple contacted.  I think 2 things made Magna an unacceptable partner. 
    1. Location - I really think Apple desires a US assembly location.  The infrastructure for manufacturing and assembling their general tech (phones, computers, tablets, etc) is concentrated in Asia.  That's not the case for cars, and assembly in the US could even be cheaper.   Magna has no N. American plants.  It's rumored (again) they're looking to open a N. American plant, but that rumor has surfaced many times over the past couple of decades.
    2. Capacity - I've no doubt Magna could handle Apple's initial assembly and volume.  Apple's thinking long term.  Scale and capacity would be Magna's issue.  Magna doesn't have an advantage in ether of those factors that could compete with Hyundai's capacity.  Hyundai/Kia has the ability scale their production to meet any capacity Apple may need.  Magna doesn't have that ability.  They already contract manufacture Jaguar's I-Pace and E-Pace, Toyota's Supra, BMW's 5-Series and Z4, and MB's G-Class.  

When this story initially broke, I said Apple was looking for an OEM/contract manufacturer, not a brand partner.  Some people are still incorrectly looking at this from a brand partner perspective.  Not really sure why.  Questions like, "why Hyundai and not BMW, MB, Porsche, or [insert luxury brand here]" still abound.  None of those brands would ever consider being an OEM manufacturer.  They would have the same concerns that Hyundai is expressing about brand erosion, 'cept their concerns would be magnified because their brands are waaaaaaay more valuable and influential than Hyundai's.  That's not a knock on Hyundai.  That's just reality.
    Hyperealitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 82
    I think that this would be a HUGE opportunity for Hyundai and Apple!! Why wouldn’t Hyundai want to collaborate with the most valuable company in the world?!? I also think that they should collaborate with Luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and maybe Lexus

edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    The brand just does not seem to be right for Apple IMHO.  More like a better fit for Samsung.  I'd rather see Apple start from scratch, as Tesla did.  Anything they do to help existing car manufactures will get ripped off.  Keep it in-house like the M SoCs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 82
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    dk49 said:
    Like you, I think Apple contacted Magna early in the process.  Probably one of the first companies Apple contacted.  I think 2 things made Magna an unacceptable partner. 
    1. Location - I really think Apple desires a US assembly location.  The infrastructure for manufacturing and assembling their general tech (phones, computers, tablets, etc) is concentrated in Asia.  That's not the case for cars, and assembly in the US could even be cheaper.   Magna has no N. American plants.  It's rumored (again) they're looking to open a N. American plant, but that rumor has surfaced many times over the past couple of decades.
    2. Capacity - I've no doubt Magna could handle Apple's initial assembly and volume.  Apple's thinking long term.  Scale and capacity would be Magna's issue.  Magna doesn't have an advantage in ether of those factors that could compete with Hyundai's capacity.  Hyundai/Kia has the ability scale their production to meet any capacity Apple may need.  Magna doesn't have that ability.  They already contract manufacture Jaguar's I-Pace and E-Pace, Toyota's Supra, BMW's 5-Series and Z4, and MB's G-Class.  

When this story initially broke, I said Apple was looking for an OEM/contract manufacturer, not a brand partner.  Some people are still incorrectly looking at this from a brand partner perspective.  Not really sure why.  Questions like, "why Hyundai and not BMW, MB, Porsche, or [insert luxury brand here]" still abound.  None of those brands would ever consider being an OEM manufacturer.  They would have the same concerns that Hyundai is expressing about brand erosion, 'cept their concerns would be magnified because their brands are waaaaaaay more valuable and influential than Hyundai's.  That's not a knock on Hyundai.  That's just reality.
    I agree with you on the aspect of finding a manufacturing partner. I had mentioned the same thing when people were like "Hyundai sucks. Why not BMW?". If Apple has to build its own factories, it's going to make this project much more complex and time consuming, and delay it by a few more years. 
    Though Apple might indirectly partner with Magna in a way they did with Sharp for manufacturing LCD displays. They can pump in half of the money (or more) in Magna required to make a N. American plant. A financial push from Apple, combined with the long term benefits might be enough for Magna to start building a plant in N. America.
    edited January 2021 roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 82
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    paraeeker said:
    The sentiment’s not hard to understand: Consider if Hyundai came to Apple to ask it to make Hyundai branded laptops...

It’s not just about revenue or profits. 

Apple should consider investing in a small car company like Lotus. Or collaborating with JLR (Tata). 

Now that would be interesting!

Not enough production capacity or efficiency from the likes of Lotus.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    As long as it’s manufactured to Apple’s specifications and not just another Hyundai chassis with Apple’s logo and software on it I’m okay. It must be assembled in the U.S. and preferably with UAW plants and workers. That’s the only way, in my opinion, it could succeed with the general public.

Also interesting is that GM has announced they will be all electric by 2035.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 82
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple don't seem to make great bedfellows in the long term.  Stay away.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple having higher standards for everything that goes into products; it is a pain in b*** to deal with Apple on a regular basis. But, having Apple on your side, you have regular stream of revenue, attached Apple brand name and Apple's technical ability can help Hyundai in other parts of their manufacturing business. If you don't take advantage of Apple's offer, someone will.
    edited January 2021 jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 82
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    dk49 said:
    dk49 said:

I agree with you on the aspect of finding a manufacturing partner. I had mentioned the same thing when people were like "Hyundai sucks. Why not BMW?". If Apple has to build its own factories, it's going to make this project much more complex and time consuming, and delay it by a few more years. 
    Though Apple might indirectly partner with Magna in a way they did with Sharp for manufacturing LCD displays. They can pump in half of the money (or more) in Magna required to make a N. American plant. A financial push from Apple, combined with the long term benefits might be enough for Magna to start building a plant in N. America.
    I agree that a US location is key, and maybe Magna could be persuaded to build in the US. And Hyundai/Kia seem to have their hands full with the popularity of their cars now (new Sonata, Palisade, etc.), so they may not have the capacity. And the quote from the Hyundai exec tells me it won't happen. Both want total control. Hyundai are not a contract manufacturer.

So I wonder if Apple may buy or partner with an EV company such as Lucid or Rivian. IMO both companies have taken the time to develop their vehicles and have not made splashy marketing/tweet claims. In other words, a similar behavior to how Apple operate (and total opposite to Nikola and Musk's tweets). And both are located in the US.
    watto_cobra