Apple speeds up masked Face ID by detecting an Apple Watch in iOS 14.5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    dewme said:
    So, if someone steals your watch and your iphone that person can unlock your phone easily?

Looks unsafe to me.
    Oh but what if someone chops your fingers off and uses them for Touch ID! Or plucks your AirPods out while riding by on a bike! Rolleyes... You dudes never stop with the creative writing...

It's fine. My watch is on my wrist. It can't be authenticated to a bad guy because removing it ends the session.
    You forgot to mention ... what if they also chop off your whole arm too, so as not to remove the watch.
    Then the pulse stops and so the session ends. Or better yet it calls 911! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    paraeeker said:
    dewme said:
    So, if someone steals your watch and your iphone that person can unlock your phone easily?

Looks unsafe to me.
    Oh but what if someone chops your fingers off and uses them for Touch ID! Or plucks your AirPods out while riding by on a bike! Rolleyes... You dudes never stop with the creative writing...

It's fine. My watch is on my wrist. It can't be authenticated to a bad guy because removing it ends the session.
    You forgot to mention ... what if they also chop off your whole arm too, so as not to remove the watch.
    Then the pulse stops and so the session ends. Or better yet it calls 911! 
    You can stick your fingers under the watch as you unclip it to keep it logged in. Of course, that's all beside the point, because if someone wanted access to your iPhone there are plenty of other ways to get your Face ID, Touch ID, and even your passcode if they're threatening you with violence and are close enough be on your person.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 64unconfirmed, member

Looks unsafe to me.

Nope, probably answered before me but your Apple Watch must be unlocked by passcode every time you take it off your wrist and put it on again.  The passcode can be different from your iPhone passcode but also needs to be 6 digits.

So if your Watch is stolen, it can’t be unlocked except by passcode.  Same with the iPhone under FaceID or passcode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 64unconfirmed, member
    dewme said:

Looks unsafe to me.

Heh, it doesn’t actually matter whose arm it is as it doesn’t know your arm per se, but the passcode issue still is there.  And if they do get it unlocked, there will be an immediate SOS call and notification of emergency services and your emergency contacts because it detected no pulse!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    dewme said:

Looks unsafe to me.

Wouldn't need the whole arm for that.  Too bulky to carry around inconspicuously; you'd need something like a guitar case.  The hand and wrist could fit in a purse.

Beware those carrying guitar cases and purses!  They're iPhone thieves out and they'll chop your limbs off!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    dewme said:

Looks unsafe to me.

This would be the best option here /s