Apple TV+ releases second Billie Eilish documentary trailer

Posted:
in General Discussion
Another trailer for Billie Eilish's "The World's a Little Blurry" has debuted on YouTube, with the documentary set to premiere in theaters and Apple TV+ on February 26.

The film chronicles Eilish's life and exploding career, including intimate behind-the-scenes footage. The documentary shows the now-18-year-old sensation as she tours and records her debut studio album, "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" The 2019 album went on to win three Grammys, including Album of the Year. Apple initially announced the documentary in September.

The trailer gives viewers a sneak peek at what is in store, showing Billie as she tours and records the album that changed her life. It also shows that it hasn't all been good, either. The young artist suffers from anxiety, Tourette's syndrome, and body dysmorphic disorder and has spoken candidly about her struggles with mental illness throughout her career.

"I look into the crowd and I can see that every single person is going through something in there," she says, over a clip of a concert. "And I have the same problem. I was like, 'Why don't I turn this into art instead of living with it?'"

Billie Eilish has worked with Apple on previous projects, including Today at Apple sessions where users could remix the artist's "You Should See me in a Crown."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Waiting for SpamSandwich to arrive to tell us how terrible a decision it is for Apple to highlight Billie Eilish because she isn’t a “real” musician.

I’m not a huge fan, by any means, but I like “You Should See me in a Crown”. She has another song I like but the name escapes me at the moment. Her other music I’m sorta meh about, but that’s not particularly uncommon for me.
    OferXed
  • Reply 2 of 25
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    It’s hard for me to get over the fact that Led Zeppelin, the Ramones and the Clash are your grandfather’s bands.  👴
    Ofer
  • Reply 3 of 25
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Waiting for SpamSandwich to arrive to tell us how terrible a decision it is for Apple to highlight Billie Eilish because she isn’t a “real” musician.

I lol'ed.

Honestly, I like it when any streaming service has at least some focus on documentaries, regardless how interested I may or may not be in the subject. You don't have to necessarily like Elish's music to have a curiosity about how a left-field pop star comes to be, and the collaborative relationship between her and her musical-savant brother. There's such a flood of scripted comedy/drama, some of it great, much of it awful, that a counterpoint opportunity to learn about something for an hour or so is a nice breather. I hope Apple pursues more opportunities like this as it fleshes out the ATV+ catalog.
    edited February 2021 beowulfschmidtgregoriusmOferroundaboutnowbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    The fact that there would be a documentary made about this 18-year-old who knows absolutely nothing about life and who constantly lectures everyone on “wokeness” is hilarious.  Almost as hilarious as watching a 17-year-old Miley Cyrus “coach“ American idol musicians. I have nothing against her music, although I don’t know it very well. What I object to is the unbelievable arrogance and entitlement of her generation, and the one preceding it.  She makes millennials look selfless and only interested in “doing work.”   
    mike54chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Billie Eelish is very talented in my old guy opinion.
    that said, a second documentary in one year of a nineteen year old? (Or was that not Apple TV+?)

why does Apple think that will keep the subscriptions paying when the time comes?
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 6 of 25
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    sdw2001 said:
    The fact that there would be a documentary made about this 18-year-old who knows absolutely nothing about life and who constantly lectures everyone on “wokeness” is hilarious.  Almost as hilarious as watching a 17-year-old Miley Cyrus “coach“ American idol musicians. I have nothing against her music, although I don’t know it very well. What I object to is the unbelievable arrogance and entitlement of her generation, and the one preceding it.  She makes millennials look selfless and only interested in “doing work.”   
    Whew. OK then. You know, you didn't ask for advice, so I'll save you the effort of telling me to go pound sand, but a word from someone who is coming up on his 50th birthday: There are two natural reactions to diverging behaviors and opinions in the generations that follow your own. One is to coarsely reject them out-of-hand as deviations from a standard we believe to be true. The other is to realize the actions of your generation, and those that precede us. have a difficult to define influence on those that follow. Our actions, our behaviors, can be a source of inspiration, or a source of revulsion, and we don't always get to choose what that reaction is.

I think how these reactions play out in art forms like music is fascinating, and hence while Elish's music may not always be my cup of tea, her ideas will live much longer than I will. Better to come to terms with understanding and appreciating them within their audience then to assume they must subsume to mine. This is why it makes sense for Apple to pursue a documentary like this.
    edited February 2021 fastasleeproundaboutnowhucom2000byronl
  • Reply 7 of 25
    sdw2001 said:
    I find it hilarious when people continue the inane tradition of dumping on younger generations as if theirs accomplished someone spectacular. Joining in that cacophony of stupid is just someone announcing that they have ceased being relevant. 
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 8 of 25
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    sdw2001 said:
    Do you spend your spare time yelling at kids to get off your lawn and telling stories of how when you were a kid you had to walk barefoot in the snow to school?
    fastasleepbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 25
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member

I’m not a huge fan, by any means, but I like “You Should See me in a Crown”. She has another song I like but the name escapes me at the moment. Her other music I’m sorta meh about, but that’s not particularly uncommon for me.
    That's the first thought I had when I saw it was an article about Eilish on AI.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    entropys said:
    Billie Eelish is very talented in my old guy opinion.
    that said, a second documentary in one year of a nineteen year old? (Or was that not Apple TV+?)

why does Apple think that will keep the subscriptions paying when the time comes?
    It's stated a bit ambiguously in the tittle, but it's the 2nd trailer for the ""The World's a Little Blurry" documentary on Apple TV+.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Whew. OK then. You know, you didn't ask for advice, so I'll save you the effort of telling me to go pound sand, but a word from someone who is coming up on his 50th birthday: There are two natural reactions to diverging behaviors and opinions in the generations that follow your own. One is to coarsely reject them out-of-hand as deviations from a standard we believe to be true. The other is to realize the actions of your generation, and those that precede us. have a difficult to define influence on those that follow. Our actions, our behaviors, can be a source of inspiration, or a source of revulsion, and we don't always get to choose what that reaction is.

I think how these reactions play out in art forms like music is fascinating, and hence while Elish's music may not always be my cup of tea, her ideas will live much longer than I will. Better to come to terms with understanding and appreciating them within their audience then to assume they must subsume to mine. This is why it makes sense for Apple to pursue a documentary like this.
    LOL.  I’m in my mid forties.  I have children ranging from 2-17.  I’m an educator in the Arts.  To be clear, I have no issue with her music or “behavior.”  What I have an issue with is her ignorant and narcissistic societal/political opinions.  She’s friggin EIGHTEEN.  This kid was born during the Bush 43 Admin, after 9/11, and she has the balls to pontificate on life?  It’s comical.  As is a documentary about her “life.”  All 18 years of it. Spare me.  
    edited February 2021 JWSCmike54ITGUYINSDmobirdchemengin1
  • Reply 12 of 25
    sdw2001 said:
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:

LOL.  I’m in my mid forties.  I have children ranging from 2-17.  I’m an educator in the Arts.  To be clear, I have no issue with her music or “behavior.”  What I have an issue with is her ignorant and narcissistic societal/political opinions.  She’s friggin EIGHTEEN.  This kid was born during the Bush 43 Admin, after 9/11, and she has the balls to pontificate on life?  It’s comical.  As is a documentary about her “life.”  All 18 years of it. Spare me.  
    What selfishness and lack of a work ethic are you perceiving from Eilish?
  • Reply 13 of 25

Apparently he’s been banned, along with at least one of the other resident chuds, Razorpit. I’m gonna take a wild guess they had something to do with several threads getting shut down recently. I haven’t been tracking the forums nearly as much lately, so maybe there’s been more housecleaning. Thanks, mods!
    edited February 2021 Xedroundaboutnow
  • Reply 14 of 25

sdw2001 said:
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:

Maybe you missed the part where she and her brother managed to win three Grammys including Album of the Year from a bedroom studio. You can safely ignore it when it’s released — like programming on any other subject matter — if you find it so triggering. Nobody else needs to know that you’re getting really upset over a talented young woman getting more attention than you. 
    roundaboutnowbyronl
  • Reply 15 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Apparently he’s been banned, along with at least one of the other resident chuds, Razorpit. I’m gonna take a wild guess they had something to do with several threads getting shut down recently. I haven’t been tracking the forums nearly as much lately, so maybe there’s been more housecleaning. Thanks, mods!
    Really?  Wow, that's been a long time coming, both of them haven't contributed a damn thing to this forum in years.  I feel like my ignore list just got vindicated :)
    fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

sdw2001 said:
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:

Maybe you missed the part where she and her brother managed to win three Grammys including Album of the Year from a bedroom studio. You can safely ignore it when it’s released — like programming on any other subject matter — if you find it so triggering. Nobody else needs to know that you’re getting really upset over a talented young woman getting more attention than you. 
    It's always entertaining to see older people with a dearth of insight and an inflated self-regard castigate younger people who show wisdom beyond their years.

Age doesn't and shouldn't earn you respect, your actions do.  Give me Billie Eilish over tedious aging men any day of the week.
    roundaboutnowfastasleep[Deleted User]byronl
  • Reply 17 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    crowley said:

Really?  Wow, that's been a long time coming, both of them haven't contributed a damn thing to this forum in years.  I feel like my ignore list just got vindicated :)
    Seriously, I used to religiously follow up on threads I was contributing in, but have forced myself to stop lately due to the toxicity from a certain group of users here and self-imposed limits on blood-boiling stimuli. :) If the trash is being taken out, I'll be more likely to engage meaningfully and less angrily (which would be the point of the mods acting. I happened to open a tab on my iPad to an older thread and saw the "User banned carry on" avatar on both of them. I haven't been that happy since Tallest Skil was banished. :)

crowley said:

sdw2001 said:
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:

It's always entertaining to see older people with a dearth of insight and an inflated self-regard castigate younger people who show wisdom beyond their years.

Age doesn't and shouldn't earn you respect, your actions do.  Give me Billie Eilish over tedious aging men any day of the week.
    crowley said:

sdw2001 said:
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:

YES to all of this. What I find extra disturbing here is the "I'm an educator in the arts" qualifier in the context of admonishing an obviously talented young artist. 
    Xedbyronl
  • Reply 18 of 25

Spam and his tag-team partner, RazorPit, have been banned.

Edit: Pipped by @fastasleep. ;
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 19 of 25
    crowley said:

sdw2001 said:
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:

Yes! This totally nails it. 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Xed said:
    sdw2001 said:
    neoncat said:
    sdw2001 said:

What selfishness and lack of a work ethic are you perceiving from Eilish?
    I can’t say I am getting that exactly.  I’m saying her political and societal opinions are meaningless. I’m saying a documentary about her “life” is comical to me, no matter how talented she is.