SuperMicro server spy chip story returns, with no more proof than before

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    I still value George's opinions when he talks about Apple. Just not his opinions on anything else. I can still be nice to him when he talks appropriately.

I just value truth and reality over propaganda.   But that's just me.

I find it odd that we support the documented oppression and murder of Palestinians but get all in a huff over allegations of wrong doing by China.  It makes it sound like we might have an ulterior motive.
    I offered an olive branch and you returned with a branch of poison ivy. Okay.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    I still value George's opinions when he talks about Apple. Just not his opinions on anything else. I can still be nice to him when he talks appropriately.

I find it odd that we support the documented oppression and murder of Palestinians but get all in a huff over allegations of wrong doing by China.  It makes it sound like we might have an ulterior motive.

It didn't sound like much of an olive branch.   More like a slam.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    Wow. Three+ pages of... nothing worth reading. Because none of you, it seems, bothered to read the article. Much more interested in flaming each other.

I will admit that I had total disdain for the original Bloomberg story and at first wasn't even willing to spend the time to read the new one either. But a friend suggested I give it a minute, and you know what? It's not at all the same.

I do not pretend to know if the Bloomberg story has any factual basis. But  if you're serious about security you owe it to yourself to read and consider it. There are a LOT of serious people who are NAMED sources now, not just one guy who disclaimed his quotes. I think we're going to hear more about this in the next few weeks, and I can't predict which direction it'll go.

Two important points:
    1) One aspect of the penetration is compromised BIOS updates. This is *entirely* plausible, though not proven.
    2) The chip couldn't possibly exist *exactly* as specified. But adjust for the technological sophistication of the reporters, and it's not entirely implausible.

And finally... China may not yet be able to do this, but if not they certainly will be soon. Their unique position in the global tech supply chain opens up opportunities for them that exist for no other state actor. It's a near certainty that they will try to do something like this, at some point in the future, if they haven't already.

If you have certainty about this story right now, you're deluding yourself. That was a reasonable position to take last week. This week... it's a new ballgame.
  • Reply 64 of 64

It didn't sound like much of an olive branch.   More like a slam.
    Correction: two branches of poison ivy.

Okay then, poison ivy it is. Please stop defending Communist China, and out of nowhere now, the Palestinians too. It's boring extremism and your posts should be banned by the admins here. The US is not responsible whenever Communist China imprisons, tortures or kills its own citizens, nor when the Palestinians lob bombs against random schools in Israel. I'm not the only one on these forums who point these things out to you. You will have a much better time if you go to other websites where anti-American vitriol is welcome. Maybe CNN or MSNBC.
This discussion has been closed.