MacBook Pro will regain SD card reader and HDMI port in 2021, Kuo says

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 103
    As others have stated, the working world works on HDMI. I’ve never been to a conference room (and I’ve been to a sh**ton) that has a USB-c plug up. I don’t doubt it’s coming or that it’s common in Silicon Valley. But the real world can’t change interface connections constantly. Apple jumped the gun for sure. And they are tucking their tails. That said, there is honor in fixing a mistake. 

Got a new Dell from work, uses USB-C for plug up to a dock. Real nice. But it still has an HDMI. Know why? Functionality and practicality. Cheers to Apple returning to that in lieu of wow factor. 
    jdw
  • Reply 102 of 103
    Mixed feelings here, I like the ability to have various connections available to me, I like simplicity also (simpler means more reliable... one I/O bus vs several). I do hate having to carry around and keep track of dongles. Its a real pain when you move to and fro in wired network environments to have to use a dongle. The Thunderbolt ports on my 2016 MacBook Pro barely hold the USB-C connectors in the laptop. Noticed the new M1 MacBook Air has a much tighter grip on the USB-C/Thunderbolt connector. I would have added a slight groove on both sides of the connector which would grip the barrel of the connector on push in and another push in to release the gripper. Continual pushing in cables and dongles will wear out even the most tenacious USB-C connector in the laptop. All four of my 2016 MacBook Pro ports are exhibiting the same 'slacking of grip'. A wired environment is not going to disappear especially with connections up to 10 Gbps. Perhaps with 5G cellular networks Apple will look at adding cellular chips to the Laptop lines and the desktops (that would certainly be welcome as MMwave networks proliferate).
  • Reply 103 of 103
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    seankill said:
    As others have stated, the working world works on HDMI. I’ve never been to a conference room (and I’ve been to a sh**ton) that has a USB-c plug up. I don’t doubt it’s coming or that it’s common in Silicon Valley. But the real world can’t change interface connections constantly. Apple jumped the gun for sure. And they are tucking their tails. That said, there is honor in fixing a mistake. 

Got a new Dell from work, uses USB-C for plug up to a dock. Real nice. But it still has an HDMI. Know why? Functionality and practicality. Cheers to Apple returning to that in lieu of wow factor. 
    I should comment on the above post because I see a fair number of people who want HDMI returned for the very reasons you put forth.

I myself still use a mid-2015 15" MBP (top end model) because it affords me with the correct number of PRACTICAL features that I love and use often.  This will shock some of you, but I value practicality in an Apple product above performance, and even above aesthetics to a certain degree.  With that said, the only 1 connector that I've never used is the HDMI connector.  BUT...  I am NOT having an insensitive, selfish tantrum where I scream, "Oh, how I wish this personally unused port would vanish from my expensive MBP which is 15 inches in size and has more than enough space for it, and which in no way whatsoever diminishes performance!"  

I honestly LOVE to see MBPs of old which have ports galore running along the sides, even if some are the ones I never use.  I love the fact so many ports are there on the MBP itself, which don't require easy-to-lose dongles.  More ports allow me to impress others in that my Apple notebook can connect to nearly anything on the fly.  Those port-filled MacBooks were the days when Apple GAVE REAL VALUE to the customer, and everyone in the Mac community rejoiced.  No one said, "I hate all these ports!"  No one!  

These days, the only folks rejoicing are the extreme minimalists in AppleInsider forums who seek with all their might to justify the status quo which amusingly changes all the time.  Those type of folks sadly enjoy berating their fellow Mac lovers.  They flock to the forums and scream, "Such and such a port is gone for good!  Apple is never going back!  Get over it!  We're better off without it!"  They also scream, "Only a SMALL number of selfish users expect and demand Apple to cater to them. Nuts!"  And of course, such blind Cupertino worship and berating of fellow Mac fans ensures they never send a single Feedback message to Apple to try to change the minimalist status quo.  They think only within whatever restrictive feature box Apple presents them with at any given time.  They never look back, not because the past is the past, but because they fail to see they have the power to change things if they only would try. 

But here's the thing. If those status quo worshippers worked for Apple, they wouldn't last long because they refuse to think outside the box of the here and now.  The refuse to challenge "the way things are right now."  They refuse to examine Apple decisions with a critical eye or consider their fellow man's needs in brotherly love. Their concept of "looking forward" amounts to little more than taking something away.  Admittedly, to some extent, minimalism is about taking things away; but when you go too far with minimalism, however lovely the aesthetics may be, you will always have legitimate gripes from your LOYAL users that something is amiss.

Sadly, when the legitimate grips come out, opposition Mac users also come out seeking to crush the gripes.  These folks always invoke floppy drives or other insane comparisons to say, "The SD card slot and HDMI are the floppy drives of today and must never return!"  These opponents of practicality are merciless in their criticism of The Rest of Us; and yet, their so often used floppy drive comparison is totally and utterly flawed.  Floppy drive tech was long on its way out when Apple decided to axe it, and there was tech that replaced it which became widespread.  Even though we transfer files via AirDrop today, USB thumb drives are in wide use, for example, not to mention other connectivity like Thunderbolt and so on.  Also, pretty much no one is crying about the loss of floppy drives today, but people ARE still crying about the loss of the SD Card Slot and HDMI. Also, haters of the SD card slot and who literally worship Apple are hypocritical in that they willingly ignore the continued presence of the SD card slot on iMacs.  

All said, even though I myself have never used the HDMI (as a private user) on my 2015 15" MBP, I am not about to chastise those who want it.  I applaud you HDMI port lovers for not backing down.  I commend you HDMI embracers for writing feedback to Apple.  I support you connectivity users in your quest to get something good back which is still in widespread use today,  I adore you good people for Thinking Different.  That remains true of USB-A lovers seeing USB-A ports are found in more abundance worldwide in public and private than "universal" USB-C ports.  Let's throw one USB-A port back on large MBPs for good measure!

Here’s to my fellow crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels of the AppleInsider forums, the troublemakers for daring to speak out their love of ports, for you, my dear friends, are the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — you are not fond of "you can't have it back" rules… The extreme minimalist status quo worshippers can quote us, disagree with us, glorify or vilify us, but the only thing they can’t do is ignore us because we change things… Indeed, we push the human race forward by pushing Apple to change its mind. And while some in this forum may see us as the crazy ones, Apple nevertheless sees genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.
    edited February 2021 muthuk_vanalingam