Apple brings back 'AirTags' anti-stalking feature in latest iOS 14.5 beta

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 61
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    This is going to be a real PAIN. Suppose I get on a train for a couple of hours and ten people are in the train with their own AirTags. Am I going to get notifications from that? How would iOS know when I'm being tracked and when I'm not? Is it just based on time? What's the time minimum that triggers the warning? An hour? A day? A week?
    An iPhone can already detect when you're driving, it'll probably disable the alert during high speed travel.
    Oh that's great, that means as a stalker I can just attach my tracker to the target's car and it won't trigger the warning since it constitutes "high speed travel." As soon as the target leaves the car, it won't trigger the warning since the target has left the car and the tracker.
    Ok, then maybe it'll include a repeated encounter monitor, so even for high speed travel then it'll note the serials of trackers, and if sees them more than once in a close time period raise a similar alert.

Funny how you instantly pivoted from being worried about it being inconvenient to you, to worried about workarounds "as a stalker".  Almost like you don't really care about either issue, just want a bit of attention.
    This won’t work either... because often times when you get on a train, you many be surrounded with the same trackers everyday on a commute to/from work because the same people will typically take the same trains.

like I said, probably the best way to go about this is to use ML to determine the likelihood a tracker is a stalking tracker.  It would temper the notifications of false positives, give a better idea of trackers to be concerned about, with occasional inaccuracies.  As I am trying to highlight, there are just too many scenarios with exceptions to the rules for this.  There needs to be some sort of balance, otherwise the notifications are just white noise.

I do have a high regard for Apple products, however, being a software engineer myself, I have seen other developers do some really stupid stuff, even at places where they are driven to create good software.  Having multiple engineers can help, especially when doing code reviews, but stuff will (not if) get through the cracks.  So my hope is apple will get the balance right, and they have a track record of doing so, but they’ve also had their foibles as well (I’ve had one for many years regarding my iCloud account that was just fixed 2ish years ago).  My speculation of the how Apple will do it, is just that, speculation, and is meant to highlight that this is a difficult problem to solve to the people on this forum (and any rule some person on this forum may come up with, by itself, will be flawed).  I’m sure Apple has considered these things, or at least many of things, but to say they have thought of everything is a fallacy.  The problem would be “solved” and ALL exceptions would be accounted for.  Humans make errors, so no software will ever be perfect.

https://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks