Apple discontinues full-size HomePod, to focus on HomePod mini

Comments

• Reply 21 of 204
    The HomePod is a remarkably mediocre product. 

Wake me up when they can be used as TV speakers. Yawn. 
    Scot1pulseimageswilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 204
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    super disappointed. Apple is too profit oriented. HomePod is worth the effort, so is AirPort Extreme etc, Apple can spare some money to develop those “toys”.
    caladanianspock1234sflagelrcfaJWSCdbvaporaegeanAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 204
    Useless Message PosterUseless Message Poster Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    mubaili said:
    super disappointed. Apple is too profit oriented. HomePod is worth the effort, so is AirPort Extreme etc, Apple can spare some money to develop those “toys”.
    A major corporation that is too profit oriented?  They're not running a soup kitchen over there.  
    neoncatwilliamlondonurahara
  • Reply 24 of 204
    NumNutsNumNuts Posts: 36member
    I really wanted to buy 2 or 3 of these. I was waiting until they became available in Ireland, but which weren’t yet due to.......Siri specifics, presumably. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Even though I’d say that’s very much a minority use (and even more so given my experience of Siri, which is almost always disappointing.)

Myself and a few others were considering driving the 2hrs to buy them in Belfast. Where they’re available and work because it’s UK. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

It felt to me like an untapped market just yet to mature. 
    edited March 2021 spock1234williamlondonjas99JWSCAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 204
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    NumNuts said:
    I really wanted to buy 2 or 3 of these. I was waiting until they became available in Ireland, but which weren’t yet due to.......Siri specifics, presumably. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Myself and a few others were considering driving the 2hrs to buy them in Belfast. Where they work because it’s UK. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Wait - isn’t Apple based in Ireland???
    caladanianmuthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 204
    NumNutsNumNuts Posts: 36member

Yes! And yet there isn’t even an Apple Store in Dublin (or the Republic at all). But there IS one in Belfast, a city 1/4 of the size and only 300,000 population. 

I’ve always wondered if there was some legal reason related to taxes (and the way Apple uses Ireland for that), but 🤷🏻‍♂️
    edited March 2021 Alex1N
  • Reply 27 of 204
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    What the heck? 

In may, I’ll finally be able to upgrade my whole setup! 

Now they discontinue my audio hopes? 

Not interested in the mini at all. 

Hopefully they do a HomePod 2. 

If not, either B&O or Bose, but I don’t want to. 

Weird. 

Apple, please don’t be like Microsoft and Google and kill stuff if it isn’t a hit right off the bat. 

I mean, you kept Apple TV kicking...

just saying...
    Scot1caladanianwilliamlondonrcfajas99JWSChammeroftruthdbvaporaegeanAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 204
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Hey Siri, sorry the homepod is being discontinued. 

“It’s all good”
    Alex1N
  • Reply 29 of 204
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 255member
    MplsP said:
    NumNuts said:
    I really wanted to buy 2 or 3 of these. I was waiting until they became available in Ireland, but which weren’t yet due to.......Siri specifics, presumably. ߤ簟ﻦzwj;♂️

Myself and a few others were considering driving the 2hrs to buy them in Belfast. Where they work because it’s UK. ߤ氟ﻦzwj;♂️ߤ簟ﻦzwj;♂️ߤ簟ﻦzwj;♂️ߤ簟ﻦzwj;♂️

It’s “based” in Cupertino, California, but its EU business operations are in Cork.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 30 of 204
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    darkvader said:
    Hi Homepod, this is iPod Hi-Fi!  Welcome to the discontinued overpriced garbage club!

It was a stupid product when it was new, it never improved, the price never dropped to anything even remotely close to reasonable, Apple discontinued it. 

Why would anybody be surprised?  It was a failure from minute 1.
    What an idiotic post. 

The vast, vast majority of reviews proclaimed the sound quality to be incredible, and the price was actially resonable when compared to other speakers in its class with the same quality. It's not "garbage" , and Im not sure what universe the price "isn't even remotely close to reasonable". The fucking Google speaker is the same price. Apple discontinued it because it because it wasn't selling at the levels of Apple's other products (ie. astronomically high). Doesn't mean it was a "garbage" or "stupid" product.

I'm curious why you have such passionate hate towards it? What did it do to you? Pretty much everyone who cared about good sound quality and was in the Apple ecosystem loved it. Your post just sounds like a tired troll. Funny how you have to go back like 2 decades to find another discontinued product to pretend there's some kind of pattern. 
    edited March 2021 spock1234williamlondonequality72521Fidonet127rcfamike1MplsPjas99JWSCurahara
  • Reply 31 of 204
    And this is why I gave up on buying Apple audio products (speakers): they always get abandoned 🙄
    caladanianwdchildersJWSC
  • Reply 32 of 204
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I use my HomePods in stereo for a home theater, paired with an Apple TV. Really love the experience. An excellent product and I’m so pleased to have ditched my old jumbo sized 3.1 sounds system, never wanting to go back. But in 5 years when the HomePods are vintage, I wonder what’s next? Sonos... eh, maybe. 
    Similar situation here. In my family room I have a good stereo system because I have the space. I didn’t want that in my bedroom so I bought two HomePods for my bedroom and love the sound quality. I’m keeping them as long as I can. It is really nice to be able to kick back on a long winter night and watch a movie with great sound in the utmost of comfort. 
    chasmspock1234rcfajas99JWSCuraharaAlex1Nwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 204
    With this thinking I’m surprised the original Apple TV didn’t get the axe. 
    anantksundaramcaladanianrcfaJWSCuraharaAlex1N
  • Reply 34 of 204
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    So Apple is sacrificing quality of sound for a smaller size and a lower price. For me, when it comes to music, quality trumps all else.
    caladanianspock1234equality72521rcfaScot1jas99JWSCuraharaAlex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 35 of 204
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    An interesting development, and a tough choice. When this happens, it makes folk wary of buying other products in the same range. 

I think the problem was that at that price it needed to do more, and because Siri is not up to snuff, it couldn’t. At £99, folk are happy to pay for a small speaker, even if Siri can’t match the capabilities of the competition.  But again, cancelling the big sister will make potential buyers nervous. 

But Apple throwing in the towel at the high end is a rare occurrence  it could just be a matter of refocusing, or it could be something more serious. In any case, I’m definitely steering clear of the AirPods Max because I suspect they’ll go the same way. 

Still, got to admire how ruthless they are with their own products. 
    edited March 2021 patchythepiratecaladanianwilliamlondonequality72521JWSCuraharaaegeanAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 204
    DoctorQDoctorQ Posts: 50member
    I have one that never finishes configuration and even though the audio works fine, Siri is, er, dumber than usual because of the incomplete configuration. I’ve tried all the fixes I could find online and have been meaning to get with Apple on this but I think I waited too long. I have 4 more, it’s the original one that’s gone flaky. We’ll see how long the other ones last.
     I can’t believe a HP2 isn’t imminent, something with Thread, presence detection, Apple SilIcon, whatever, considering how much they have invested in the A/V sector. But they do have a history of dumping perfectly good servers and routers.
    anantksundarampatchythepiratejas99JWSCAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 204
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cloudguy said:
    darkvader said:
    starof80 said:
    What about the rumors of the second HomePod? I was going to buy that when it came out.

Maybe you can buy the first one at fire sale prices.  It would be worth buying for $50.

(And by that I mean $50 for a pair.  $50 for one is far too much.)

I am hoping that you are joking. In case you aren't, the discontinued Google Home Max costs $160 refurbished. No way the HomePod is going to be anywhere near that cheap.
    False!! Costco has had brand new HomePods for $149 before. I have three and have never paid more than $200 as they are not worth it more than that. If they were $149 from the start, as they should of been, they would of been successful even with the piss poor Siri and limitations of connections. 
    patchythepirateMacQuadra840av
  • Reply 38 of 204
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    The audio on the mini is nothing like the original. I too was looking to see if apple would update the larger model with uwb tech before purchasing another. 
    caladanianspock1234JWSCAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 204
    Rayz2016 said:
    An interesting development, and a tough choice. When this happens, it makes folk wary of buying other products in the same range. 

I think the problem was that at that price it needed to do more, and because Siri is not up to snuff, it couldn’t. At £99, folk are happy to pay for a small speaker, even if Siri can’t match the capabilities of the competition.  But again, cancelling the big sister will make potential buyers nervous. 

But Apple throwing in the towel at the high end is a rare occurrence  it could just be a matter of refocusing, or it could be something more serious. In any case, I’m definitely steering clear of the AirPods Max because I suspect they’ll go the same way. 

Still, got to admire how ruthless they are with their own products. 
    This is definitely the best comment so far. Everyone wants to have some dramatic opinion, but it’s just a matter of practicality, whatever the reasons. Also, Siri is still terrible (the latest iteration is finally barely tolerable), so it was doomed to failure (since Apple still hasn’t gotten Siri right despite a multiple year head start, typical Apple services). I love the design, which is why I got one on day one. Although, the gd thing bricked itself 6 months later and I haven’t had time to take it in (and it didn’t help that Apple closed its stores for so long). I guess in the end Apple didn’t want to be another sonos, which is what would have been the inevitable end point. Even though some jumbo home pods would’ve been great, I can see why Apple is doing this. Now.. why tf they didn’t make privacy centric, Apple home kit optimized mesh routers is another story...
    edited March 2021 chasmequality72521mike1Scot1Alex1N
  • Reply 40 of 204
    I love my homepods. I hope they continue to be supported for a long time.
    caladanianrcfajas99JWSCuraharaaegeanwatto_cobra