Apple discontinues full-size HomePod, to focus on HomePod mini

Comments

• Reply 81 of 204

dymmas said:
    The HomePod is a remarkably mediocre product. 

Wake me up when they can be used as TV speakers. Yawn. 
    What a useful post you have provided. Been able to do this for ages...
    Without an an AppleTV - a product that should be retired just for its ungodly remote - just as external speakers to any old TV (as thousands of speakers can)?

Pray tell us how... I'll wait. In the meantime, you can educate yourself with this (as can the ignorant poster to whom I responded above): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207705
    edited March 2021 spock1234gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nelijahg
  • Reply 82 of 204
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member

dymmas said:

Without an an AppleTV - a product that should be retired just for its ungodly remote - just as external speakers to any old TV (as thousands of speakers can)?

Pray tell us how...
    Fair point - when you change the conditions of your statement, the response is indeed wrong.
  • Reply 83 of 204

dymmas said:

Pray tell us how...
    Fair point - when you change the conditions of your statement, the response is indeed wrong.
    No condition was changed. Basic reading comprehension - or in its absence, seeking clarification - was assumed. 
    edited March 2021 spock1234williamlondonAlex1Nelijahg
  • Reply 84 of 204
    MKMcMKMc Posts: 14member
    What has put me off touching the HomePod or Mini so far is the lack of portability. If I could charge it, unplug it and take with me and get a few hours listening cordless, I'd be more interested - but while it's permanently tethered - no thanks. There are decent cheaper chargeable cordless speakers out there, suitable for "round-the-pool" enjoyment.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 85 of 204
    spock1234 said:
    dymmas said:
    @dymmas I have a LG C9 tv, and two homepods. I would love to know how to use the homepods for TV content. Thanks in advance for your help. 
    You can't, without an AppleTV. 

Thousands of far better alternatives out there. 
    spock1234muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 86 of 204
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    If there's no HP2, will my HP1s go up in resale value?
    That's what I am saying, cause I am like eBay, $100 used HP1? for the WIN?  I have two already, but was always hoping to get like 3 more just for the UMPF of it...

People say Siri sucks HomePod sucks, I couldn't care less, cause every time I hear that I am like "Dude just cause you don't get JIGGY with shortcuts and stuff? bah"

If you are fully entrenched in the Apple ECO, they are legit!!!
    spock1234
  • Reply 87 of 204
    avon b7 said:
    I think there were conceptual flaws that stood out.

A 360ºC design on a product with a cable? And a not long cable at that. Placing the product in a central position position would leave the cable as a tripwire, so inevitably they were placed in non-central positions, perhaps defeating the purpose of a 360ºC design.

My only 'live' experience with one was at an Apple Store (where it was also placed on a table which was set against the wall) and the guy that was selling me a phone couldn't get it to stop playing via Siri. He ended up exasperated.

Obviously the setting wasn't perfect to evaluate audio quality but nothing about the sound stood out in any way.

Price was always a big factor, as was the debate over the 'stereo' aspect and the thought of needing two to get a better experience. 

There was also the issue of flexibility in what you could pump into it, and how. This kind of product, engineered from the ground up as a wireless product, should not be erecting 'walls' as to what can be played and even as a wireless product, should have had an AUX input of some kind. When support gets axed for whatever reason, having an AUX input would keep the device going even without 'the smarts'. 

The fact that they have killed it off instead of leaving it as a niche or 'hobby' product, says a lot. Sales were probably very poor but I can't help but think that the retail price was the biggest reason for that. Launching at $199 might have seen this decision never taken or even considered.

Siri seems to be an utter mess in terms of what it can do on different devices. That must be amazingly perplexing for your average user. And launching without a fully 'functioning' Siri was an error. Saying that Siri wasn't its key feature doesn't 't make a lot of sense either. Those mics are there for good reason. 

Anyway those are my off the cuff comments from a person that ruled the device out for those main reasons when it was available in my area. I haven't checked to make sure what I just wrote was actually 100% correct because the asking price was never going to get in on my purchasing radar.

I think I'm not alone with that line of thinking. 

It has all the conceptual clarity and aesthetic elegance of the "magic" mouse laying upside down to charge, or the most abominable remote of all time (which you'll need to be able to use the HomePod, since you need the AppleTV). 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonasdasdAlex1N
  • Reply 88 of 204
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member

dymmas said:

Pray tell us how...
    No condition was changed. Basic reading comprehension - or in its absence, seeking clarification - was assumed. 
    On its face all your original statement said was being able to use them as TV speakers. You since clarified, aka changed, that statement to add that it needed to be without the Apple TV which also gave you the chance to add your negative comments about that device as well. I’d say yeah, you changed the conditions. 
    roundaboutnowwilliamlondon
  • Reply 89 of 204
    Wgkrueger said:

dymmas said:

Pray tell us how...
    On its face all your original statement said was being able to use them as TV speakers. You since clarified, aka changed, that statement to add that it needed to be without the Apple TV which also gave you the chance to add your negative comments about that device as well. I’d say yeah, you changed the conditions. 
    I'm glad you said that. I doubt that anyone will come to his defense. It's a common mistake that people make in these forums, which is not understanding that you can use HomePods as TV speakers. Maybe he knew that you could, but was just playing word games to make it sound worse than it is. I think that's what happened. In short, I don't think he's stupid, but rather deceptive.
  • Reply 90 of 204
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    With this thinking I’m surprised the original Apple TV didn’t get the axe. 
    Wait for it...
    JWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 91 of 204
    Kang and Prosser, who both have excellent track records, are predicting a March Apple event on the 23rd. That's ten days from now. We may learn more about the fortunes of HomePod then.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 92 of 204
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The problem was perhaps that it slipped in between between markets:
    --  As an Alexa like smart speaker it was too expensive
    --  As home theater, you needed to buy a second one.   But then you still didn't have home theater sound much 5.1 or 7.1.

While it did an amazing job at everything it was targeted for, there were more attractive options out there in each of the things it tried to do -- except for integrating with other Apple products in the Apple ecosystem.

Scot1Alex1N
  • Reply 93 of 204
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    A core part of Apple since almost the beginning has been sound and music  (iPod, iTunes, Apple Music, etc...).  In fact, they revolutionized the music industry.  They turned it on its head.

But, while Apple Music is very solid, they seem to be losing their way, wondering in the wilderness.

My grandson had one Homepod, an XBox Series X, and an Apple TV. 
    This past Christmas I looked at component audio systems to bring quality sound to that mix (I rejected a sound bar as too limited).
    A component home theater system was simply too expensive for me (Receiver, subwoofer + 5 speakers).   Plus, its integration with his Apple devices was less clean,
    So, I bought him a 2nd Homepod to make a stereo pair.

It is not as good as a Home Theater system -- but it is surprisingly close.
    Unfortunately, it will only interact with his Apple Devices -- not with the XBoxSeriesX -- so its use is limited.

So, without a high end HomePod, where now does one turn?
    High end Home Theater systems often include Airplay -- but moderately priced soundbars do not.  Without it access to Apple Devices is limited.
    Plus, with the AppleTV also in questionable standing, what does Apple use as a Homekit hub?   iPads are not the best choice for that.

In short, Apple has thrown a hodgepodge of products at both home automation and home theater.
    I think they need to look at this and develop a cohesive, integrated, quality, more systematic approach to the home.
    There seems to be a large void there without a cohesive strategy from Apple.

I would like to see:
    --  Apple WiFi routers
    --  Apple Home automation products
    --  Apple home theater systems
    ...... And, of course, all of that would be tightly integrated into a cohesive, seamless and secure whole.
    As my grandpa usta say, "ain't no money in that."

I completely understand and share your desire to have reliable (!) and fully functional Apple devices that solve tech needs and wants. I really miss AirPorts. But like TV screens, thats a race to the bottom of the price people are willing to pay, something Apple has never done. I'm stunned by the low prices of really high quality HDTVs these days. Only by combining displays with something else (iMacs, MacBooks, and the MacPro display) does Apple even participate in this product. I get the sense that Apple wa pushed to an audio product rather unwillingly.

I am sort of curious if the headline here is correct: now that "HomePod" is gone, will the $99 ones still be "mini?" Seems that is something of a marketing...gap?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 94 of 204
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The problem was perhaps that it slipped in between between markets:
    --  As an Alexa like smart speaker it was too expensive
    --  As home theater, you needed to buy a second one.   But then you still didn't have home theater sound much 5.1 or 7.1.

While it did an amazing job at everything it was targeted for, there were more attractive options out there in each of the things it tried to do -- except for integrating with other Apple products in the Apple ecosystem.

I don't disagree, but I think the problem is Siri, and everything around her.

While touting Siri as the next big thing, I'm not sure that she lived up to her promises. And here's why this is a problem:

HomePod; the biggest casualty so far. An expensive speaker that has top-notch sound, but is a pig to set up for multiple users, wreaks havoc when you have more than one Siri device in the same room, and for many people it couldn't do enough to justify the price. No matter what Apple thinks (and what people here like to brag about) most people cannot tell the difference between a really great speaker and a good one. Apple can put all the "see-inside" videos it wants on its website, not even Apple's discerning customer base will really care that much. So we've got a speaker with Siri, and Siri isn't enough.

Second casualty: flexibility.
    While Apple has focussed on Siri and Shortcuts, they're not really doing much with stuff like Javascript and AppleScript. Oh, and Shortcuts don't run on the Mac … why not?
    GeorgeBMacJWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 95 of 204
    Will buyers now have faith that the HomePod Mini will stick around? I know I don't. Was going to buy one, but now debating. Will stick with my two full size ones.
    anantksundaramJWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 96 of 204
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    WTF! The HomePod is awesome! If anything I wanted a bigger one, a subwoofer and multichannel sound! The HomePod mini is cute and sounds great, but it doesn’t play loud enough. This is disappointing.
    The lack of a hardwired connection option made it a no buy, and same goes for the smaller version.
    edited March 2021 GeorgeBMacAlex1N
  • Reply 97 of 204
    eightzero said:
    A core part of Apple since almost the beginning has been sound and music  (iPod, iTunes, Apple Music, etc...).  In fact, they revolutionized the music industry.  They turned it on its head.

But, while Apple Music is very solid, they seem to be losing their way, wondering in the wilderness.

This past Christmas I looked at component audio systems to bring quality sound to that mix (I rejected a sound bar as too limited).
    A component home theater system was simply too expensive for me (Receiver, subwoofer + 5 speakers).   Plus, its integration with his Apple devices was less clean,

Unfortunately, it will only interact with his Apple Devices -- not with the XBoxSeriesX -- so its use is limited.

High end Home Theater systems often include Airplay -- but moderately priced soundbars do not.  Without it access to Apple Devices is limited.
    Plus, with the AppleTV also in questionable standing, what does Apple use as a Homekit hub?   iPads are not the best choice for that.

In short, Apple has thrown a hodgepodge of products at both home automation and home theater.
    I think they need to look at this and develop a cohesive, integrated, quality, more systematic approach to the home.

I would like to see:
    --  Apple WiFi routers
    ...... And, of course, all of that would be tightly integrated into a cohesive, seamless and secure whole.

I completely understand and share your desire to have reliable (!) and fully functional Apple devices that solve tech needs and wants. I really miss AirPorts. But like TV screens, thats a race to the bottom of the price people are willing to pay, something Apple has never done. I'm stunned by the low prices of really high quality HDTVs these days. Only by combining displays with something else (iMacs, MacBooks, and the MacPro display) does Apple even participate in this product. I get the sense that Apple wa pushed to an audio product rather unwillingly.

I am sort of curious if the headline here is correct: now that "HomePod" is gone, will the $99 ones still be "mini?" Seems that is something of a marketing...gap?

No money in it if they release them all as separate products.

But what if they put a decent Mesh Router in the HomePod, and the HomePod Minis also worked as mesh satellites. Sound, Wifi, Siri, home automation in one device.
    roundaboutnowGeorgeBMacJWSCspock1234Alex1N
  • Reply 98 of 204
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    mubaili said:
    super disappointed. Apple is too profit oriented. HomePod is worth the effort, so is AirPort Extreme etc, Apple can spare some money to develop those “toys”.
    A major corporation that is too profit oriented?  They're not running a soup kitchen over there.  

Apple is running a soup kitchen for tv and movie content creation, which has zero profit.
    dewmeanantksundaramentropysspock1234Alex1N
  • Reply 99 of 204
    Of course, it's also possible that sales of the HomePod fell off a cliff because everyone bought HomePod Minis instead.

I mean, £99 is pretty cheap.

Lots of folk are speculating that Apple is cancelling it to replace it with something else.

Possible, but I doubt it.

If they continue with the Mini, then improvements are going to come from there.
    JapheywilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 100 of 204
    Rayz2016 said:
    eightzero said:

I would like to see:
    --  Apple WiFi routers

No money in it if they release them all as separate products.

But what if they put a decent Mesh Router in the HomePod, and the HomePod Minis also worked as mesh satellites. Sound, Wifi, Siri, home automation in one device.
    Maybe you know this, but the HomePod Mini does support Thread which is an IPv6-based mesh networking protocol device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(network_protocol)
    roundaboutnowgregoriusmAlex1N