Chinese apps test bypass for Apple's App Tracking Transparency

Posted:
in iOS edited March 2021
TikTok and other tech giants in China may get around Apple's inbound App Tracking Transparency changes for iOS, by using a tool from a state-backed group to keep tracking users, even if users deny permission.

Expected to be introduced in the coming weeks, App Tracking Transparency will force developers to ask permission from users before they will be able to track a unique identifier for the device for marketing purposes. While the change may impact western advertisers in their ability to serve customized advertising, companies in China may have a workaround.

The China Advertising Association, a government-backed group with approximately 2,000 members, has introduced CAID, a method to identify and track iPhone users in the country, reports the Financial Times. The system gives its users an alternative to using the existing IDFA (Identifier for Advertisers) used for iPhone tracking, one that isn't limited by ATT's introduction.

The system is being tested out by many companies in China, including two major tech outfits. TikTok owner ByteDance mentioned CAID in an app developer guide, suggesting to advertisers they can "use the CAID as a substitute if the user's IDFA is unavailable.

Report sources close to Tencent and ByteDance claim each are testing the system.

Even though CAID doesn't require ATT permission to track users, doing so may still put companies in hot water. Apple's rules for tracking explain an app still requires ATT-based permission from the user for any sort of tracking, regardless of whether it is IDFA or an alternate third-party method.

It is thought that Apple has the capability of detecting apps that use CAID, and will have the option to block them from the Chinese App Store if needed. CAID has apparently been in testing for a number of months, with sources adding Apple is both aware of it and is turning a blind eye for the moment.

Apple's stance is that the "App Store terms and guidelines apply equally to all developers around the world," and that "users should be asked for their permission before being tracked." Apple that don't take into account a user's choice "will be rejected" by the company.

However, blocking Chinese apps for bypassing ATT in favor of CAID tracking could be a difficult problem for Apple. It is apparently wary of performing such app bans in China if CAID has strong support from both tech firms and government agencies.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Their country
    Their choice

Let the pearl clutchers clutch.  China doesn't care.
    edited March 2021 j2fusion
  • Reply 2 of 10
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    What do you bet something similar will happen in the US.  There is too much money at stake here for so someone not to figure out a way around Apple’s restrictions. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Their country
    Their choice

Of course it's up to China, tho I don't think it's the Chinese government demanding this bypass. They already have processes in place to closely monitor their citizens including via their smart devices.   

So just as it's the Chinese companies who can decide for themselves that they will thumb their nose at platform rules, it's also Apple's choice whether to consider Chinese citizens just as worthy of privacy from ad purveyors and data collectors if using Apple iPhones as the rest of the world, and enact penalties for bypassing those protections just as they would anywhere else on the planet.

IMO either user privacy is a core belief or it's simply for marketing purposes where convenient.  I suppose Apple's response will determine which is which. 
    edited March 2021 muthuk_vanalingamlikethesky
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    j2fusion said:
    What do you bet something similar will happen in the US.  There is too much money at stake here for so someone not to figure out a way around Apple’s restrictions. 
    First in line will be Facebook. I saw an ad by Facebook the other day on TV saying the Internet needs more regulations and I assumed this was directed at Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    lkrupp said:
    j2fusion said:
    First in line will be Facebook. I saw an ad by Facebook the other day on TV saying the Internet needs more regulations and I assumed this was directed at Apple.
    The internet needs less Facebooks
    maltzcornchipOferPetrolDaveDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    gatorguy said:
    Their country
    Their choice

Of course it's up to China, tho I don't think it's the Chinese government demanding this bypass. They already have processes in place to closely monitor their citizens including via their smart devices.   

So just as it's the Chinese companies who can decide for themselves that they will thumb their nose at platform rules, it's also Apple's choice whether to consider Chinese citizens just as worthy of privacy from ad purveyors and data collectors if using Apple iPhones as the rest of the world and enact penalties for bypassing those protections just as they would anywhere else on the planet.

IMO either user privacy is a core belief or it's simply for marketing purposes where convenient.  I suppose Apple's response will determine which is which. 
    Chinese government and Chinese businesses are not so terribly distinct from one another. Apple's challenges here are 1) access to the very large Chinese market and 2) access to the Chinese factories that produce most of their devices. Decisions about these issues in China are surely mired in those challenges.
    cornchipwatto_cobralikethesky
  • Reply 7 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If Apple don’t ban use of alternative identifiers then the entire ATT stance will fall over.  I suppose they could make an exception for China, but even that will probably open the door to challenges elsewhere.

I hope Apple show some balls and clamp down on this nonsense.
    maltzOferlikethesky
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mgrad92mgrad92 Posts: 12member
    Their country
    Their choice

I'm not sure who the "pearl-clutchers" are — but it's Apple's company, and Apple's choice, too, obviously.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    gatorguy said:
    Their country
    Their choice

Exactly.  If you control the internet pipes, it doesn't matter what controls people have on their devices or in their web browsers.

They've already been reacting quickly to jailbreakers, so there's no reason to expect they wouldn't do the same for tracking/privacy loopholes in Safari.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 527member
    Does this apply to apps such as TikTok used outside of China? If so they’re all going in the trash. 
    watto_cobra